Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Counterfeit God; Part I ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
5


Two weeks after Sirius’ return, the comfortable household atmosphere of Seventh Heaven was polluted heavily by a feeling of unrest between Morghann and Reno. The others were growing uneasy with this new development, knowing something bad would happen if the problem was not settled. However, neither were really completely to blame. Morghann’s steadily progressing pregnancy was screwing with her hormones, making her more susceptible to her own bitchiness, whereas Reno was being increasingly stubborn with her. Only two days after Sirius had returned (two days after he’d been called out on a mission and had returned) Rufus had called with another assignment for all of his Turks.

Unfortunately, Reno’s eagerness to take on this assignment had started a rift between the couple. Morghann felt that, in order for their relationship to progress the way they wanted it to, Reno would have to make a few sacrifices, just as Morghann had made for him. The only problem was, Reno didn’t seem too willing to do so. Morghann’s hatred of Shinra was widely known, but it wasn’t just Shinra that Reno would have to give up; it was his loyalty to Rufus Shinra. Morghann needed his loyalty to be totally focused on his family, rather than a ruined company that had, ultimately, destroyed her life from childhood.

It was quite the sacrifice to be made. Since Morghann had asked him about it, things had been getting a bit tense between them. They’d had several arguments and fights over the course of two weeks that tended to end up upsetting everyone, including themselves.

Which was precisely why Morghann was sitting on the roof, silently crying.

“Hey,” Sirius sat down next to her and gently rubbed her friend’s shoulder. “You ok?”

“Do I look ok?”

“No, you don’t, but the question still had to be asked,”

“I know…” Morghann sighed, her shoulders slumping as the weight of her life pressed down on her. “I just don’t understand him anymore,”

“Reno’s a complicated man,” Sirius said simply. “Give him time, Morghann. What you’re asking of him isn’t easy,”

“Rufus ordered him to kill me, Sirius. And thanks to Rude, he ended up re-executing a dead person disguised as me so that I could live and be safe in hiding. But it killed him, deadened him. For days after that he wouldn’t let me out of his sight. He kept cursing Rufus’ very existence because of that. How is it so hard to cut ties with him now?”

“Rufus accepted him as a friend and as a Turk even after he found out that you were still alive. Maybe Reno feels loyal to him because he’s known him so long. It’s hard to leave the only life he’s ever known for something he’s barely touched on,”

“You always told me to leap and take risks for the chance of a better life,”

“Yes, I did,” Sirius agreed, hugging her knees to her chest. “You took those leaps and those risks because you desperately needed something to cling to that would lead you from the memory of your childhood. You found something wonderful because of that. It’s just taking Reno a lot longer to get there. Give him time,”

“What if I can’t anymore, Sirius? What if I’ve given all that I can…”

“Then it’s Reno who’s going to have to step it up,” Sirius hugged her friend. “I know him, and I agree that he’s a sleaze and almost always a smartass, but I know he loves you, Morg. I’ve seen it…and heard it. Boy’s not too good with hiding his feelings. You just have to remember that he’s wild, untamed, hardly housebroken. It’s not likely to happen within days, sweetie. But I can almost guarantee you that things are going to change drastically the second that baby is born,”

“You think so?”

“Trust me, honey. Reno will change in a heartbeat when he holds that baby for the first time,”

After a long but comfortable silence, Morghann finally relaxed. “Thank you, Sirius…I really needed to hear that,”

---

“Is she all right?”

“She’s fine, Reno. She’s sleeping now,” Sirius stretched languidly as she reached everyone at the bar, leaning against Cloud for the simple support that touching him gave her. “Morghann’s just…well, she’s hormonal, Reno. She’s going to be bitchy because of it and you’re just going to have to cope. I’m not going to say anything about this whole Shinra mess, because, I’m biased. I agree with Morghann, but while I do agree with her, I also agree that it’s a hard decision to make for you.”

“Choosing between work and family is a hard decision?” Barret gave Reno a nasty looking kind of scowl. The red head flinched under the stair, but remained quiet. What was he supposed to say? He was really already decided on the matter, but he wasn’t sure how to broach the subject with Morghann without getting her riled, even if she was going to like the answer.

“What do you want me to do?” Reno asked quietly, his eyes focused on the stairs that lead up to the bedrooms.

“You know what we want you to do, Reno, but it isn’t our decision to make,” Tifa offered as she put up the last of the drink glasses. “We all know that, in the end, you’ll make the decision that’s best for you and for your family. I just hope that you understand that, no matter which you choose, your family is still going to be a very huge part of your life.’

“I know,”

“Perhaps you should discuss this with the person to whom it matters the most?” Vincent offered as he vacated his bar stool. “Morghann or Shinra. It is not a hard decision in our eyes,”

---

Cloud stretched a little as he walked down the hallway, stopping before the open door into Morghann and Reno’s room. She was sitting in the windowsill with her legs up, her hands rubbing her belly while humming a slightly melancholy tune. She looked peaceful enough, but since Reno hadn’t really been around much that day, he doubted that she was very peaceful at all.

“Rumor has it that it’s going to be a boy,”

Morghann looked up and smiled at Cloud, her humming stopping. “Reno thinks so,” With the way she said his name with such pleasure, one would think that they hadn’t been fighting the last couple of days. “It probably is,”

Cloud stepped into the room now that he had her invitation and moved to stand next to her. “He’s trying, you know,”

“I know,” She looked out through the window and squinted into the fading sunlight of the sunset. “What I’m asking of him isn’t easy. I know that now. But still…”

“I understand, Morghann,”

“I don’t think that Reno does, Cloud, and that’s the problem. He’s so reluctant to give it up,”

“It’s all he’s ever really known,” Cloud shrugged a little. “Give him time,”

“I guess I was expecting too much too soon. I can give him a little more time, Cloud,” Morghann finally started to relax as she looked at him. “How is Sirius? I know that it’s been difficult trying to readjust to everything because of the Geostigma…but you know better than anyone how she’s doing…” She shifted, rubbing the small of her back in the discomfort the sudden movement produced there. “Do you think she’d be willing to get out of this bar for a little while with me? Like a girl’s day out or something like that…? There’s a few things I want to do around town before the baby comes and I thought that if she came with me, it would help get my mind off of what’s going on for a little while,”

“I don’t see why she wouldn’t want to, but I’ll talk to her,”

“Thank you, Cloud,”

“Good night, Morghann,”

“Night,”

---

It looked small enough to work for him. Rocket Town wasn’t exactly what he’d had in mind when he’d decided on how to get what he wanted, but if he started with a town like Nibelheim, he’d fail.

Besides, it was a start. Just as good as any. And none of the townspeople were really that stable after Meteor to really be sure of anything. At any rate, there was always one thing no one ever really doubted.

He stopped in the center of town, drawing attention from everyone outside, which happened to be a majority of the townspeople anyway. They looked at him curiously, wondering about his strange clothing and the way he held himself. The book he was holding also made them curious.

“I am a Man and Doctor of God and I have come here to tell you of a great evil,”


---
End Chapter