Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Counterfeit God; Part I ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
6

The low creaking of the floorboards let Sirius know that someone was now in the room with her. Judging from the heavy footsteps, it had to be Cloud. She looked up from the bills she was helping Tifa with and smiled. The blonde returned the smile as he wrapped his arms around her shoulders, resting his chin on her right one. She knew that he was aware of her pain. The Geostigma had been unbearable the night before. It had dwindled to a throb about an hour ago. Cloud was aware of this. He’d stayed awake all night holding Sirius as she cried out and sobbed as the extreme agony wracked her body.

“Morghann wants to know if you feel like going out into town with her.” Cloud told her softly.

Sirius tilted her head to the side just barely and gave him a light kiss. “I’ll go with her, if you don’t mind of course.”

“Of course not.” He replied, waving it off. “I only want you to go if you feel like it. I have a few deliveries to make today anyway. I should be back before dark.”

“Okay. I’m sorry that I kept you up last night.” She said softly. “Be careful. Take the Buster sword with you. The monsters still haven’t all disappeared.”

A soft chuckle broke the silence. “I wouldn’t have stayed up if I didn’t love you. And since when do I leave the Buster sword at home? Wherever I go, it goes.” Cloud kissed her cheek gently as he hefted the large weapon onto his shoulder. “I love you. Don’t overdo it today, Sirius.”

“I won’t. I love you too, Cloud.”

Sirius listened for his retreating footfalls before stacking the bills neatly on the desk and pulling her long white hair over her shoulder. Within a few moments, it was done in a neat loose braid. She closed the door to her and Cloud’s room and headed down the hall to Morghann and Reno’s, knocking lightly on the door.

---

“What were we looking for again, Morghann?” Sirius asked as they moved through the crowd.

“Baby things, what else?” Morghann replied with a giggle. “It’s only a few more months until he gets here anyway.”

Sirius rolled her eyes in mock annoyance. “You’ve just started your second trimester, I think you’ve got a while.”

Another giggle was issued from Morghann. “I can still get ready though, Sirius. It won’t hurt.”

The two made their way into one of the nearby clothing shops, where they proceeded to look through shelves upon shelves of baby clothes. Shouldn’t Reno be the one shopping for his kid? No, Reno was too busy playing lap dog to Rufus at this moment. In Sirius’s opinion, it wasn’t really his fault. The truth was that she felt sorry for the both of them. Morghann wanted Reno to settle down and Reno wanted to settle down, but didn’t know how to let go of his loyalty to Shinra. A small smile placed itself on her lips. She and Morghann were both acting younger than they were.

It suddenly felt to Sirius that they were younger than they were now, trekking around Midgar with Tifa and Yuffie in search of something to do that interested them. Once Morghann had joined their group while in Midgar on a mission with Reno, Sirius had found a strong friendship in her. Perhaps it was because they were so similar. When fighting, their common hatred for Shinra kept them moving fairly easily. Both of them knew Reno from one time or another. Sirius knew him from her days in Shinra’s research labs where he and Rude played modified babysitters, while he had saved Morghann from death by Rufus Shinra’s hands. Over time, they developed a closeness to each other, like sisters. They had all suffered many things in the time that they were all together; the death of Aeries, the fall of the Shinra Company, the battle with Sephiroth. None of them had any idea that things would turn out the way they did or that Sephiroth would make a second appearance. Sirius was glad things had settled the way they had.

“Earth to Sirius, did you go back to the Lifestream?”

Sirius’s blue eyes blinked. “What? No. I finally made it here, so there’s no way in hell I’m going back.”

“What were you thinking so hard about then?” Morghann questioned, a bit worried.

“Our younger days, Morg. Tifa, Yuffie, you, and I got into a lot of trouble on our little adventures.” She explained. “I bet Reno would love to hear some of those stories.”

Morghann smirked in a knowing manner as she led Sirius toward another shop. “I’m sure Cloud would really like to hear some of those stories too, especially about that time you were drunk and you kept saying how in love with Cloud you were, but he was stuck too far up Aeris's ass to notice.”

A deep shade of pink tinged Sirius’s cheeks. “We weren’t ever to speak of that again. If Cloud finds out about that, your first-born is mine.” She joked. The two laughed.

Sirius was then made aware of how tired she was. Last night’s pain had drained her thoroughly. The throbbing pain that had drummed through her body before they left was beginning to intensify. She gritted her teeth as a wave hit her. Sirius wasn’t about to destroy Morghann’s good mood because of her damn disease.

---

They’d been out far longer than either of them had expected. Morghann had finally been able to see through Sirius’s smile to see the pain lying underneath. The bar didn’t open for another twenty minutes, so Tifa and the others were most likely in the kitchen and the storerooms preparing for tonight’s business. Morghann hadn’t seen Fenrir out to the side, so Cloud clearly hadn’t returned from the day’s deliveries yet. She paused to see Sirius leaning against the bar, fighting for air as she attempted to remain upright. She moved as quickly as her pregnancy would allow so that she could get to her friend’s side.

“Sirius, why didn’t you say something earlier?” Morghann queried. “We could’ve come back sooner.”

“No. You were too happy for me to spoil that.” Sirius replied through clenched teeth. “Besides, that baby needs things, too.”

The white-haired woman’s attempt at a joke was killed as she felt a scream rising in her throat and fought to strangle it before it escaped her lips. This was the way the pain had started the previous night. As she tried to straighten herself out, she felt her knees begin to buckle beneath her, sending her crashing to the floor. The cry that she’d managed to suppress the first time echoed through the quiet bar, sending Morghann into a split second of panic. She gathered Sirius into her arms as the younger woman began to sob from the agony that her body was feeling.

“It’s alright, Sirius. I know it hurts.” Morghann cooed. “Cloud will be back soon.” I hope. She felt anger rising within her. Where was everyone? “Barret! Vincent! Somebody! Sirius needs help!”

It was Reno and Rude that came flying through the kitchen door. Rude had a dark scowl on his face while the redhead possessed a look of shock and bewilderment. Morghann gave an aggravated sigh at the lack of action.

“What are you two doing just standing there for? We have to do something!”

Reno seemed to be knocked out of his stupor by her voice. “What do you want us to do?”

Morghann leapt into action. “Rude, take her upstairs. Reno, call Cloud’s mobile. Get him back here as soon as possible.”

“Why do I have to call Cloud?”

“Because you’re too scrawny to carry Sirius! Just do it!” Morghann snapped as she moved to follow Rude up the stairs.

Reno glowered before fishing his phone out of his pocket. If there was anything wrong concerning Sirius, the blonde would be like a bat out of hell to get home. He was sure of it.

---

Morghann was now sitting on Cloud’s bed with Sirius in her arms. The younger woman cried against her, writhing in pain. She smoothed her white hair, thankful that they’d made it home when they did.

“Morg?” Sirius choked.

“Yeah, hon? You want something?”

Sirius shook her head, cheeks stained with tears. “I’m sorry I ruined your day. This damned Geostigma–“

She smiled at her friend’s unfinished statement. Sirius could have such a childlike mentality sometimes. “You didn’t ruin anything, Sirius.”

“You yelled at Reno.”

“I’d have yelled at him anyway.”

Another scream bounced off the walls, making all other conversation impossible. Morghann, instead, began humming a tune that had been sung to her when she was a small child. Apart from Sirius’s pained cries, the room was silent. Nothing else stirred except the smaller girl in her arms. The air seemed to shift slightly, for she’d heard it even though it wasn’t really a sound. As if to confirm her suspicions, Sirius murmured Cloud’s name into her shoulder.

“Cloud.”

“How is she, Morghann?”

Morghann sighed. “Sirius is in a lot of pain. I had her talking a few minutes ago.”

Sirius was breathing in a labored manner. Cloud sat down on the bed beside Morghann, taking Sirius’s face in his hands. A guilty expression crossed his face as he looked down at her. Her eyes cracked open slightly, fresh tears of pain spilling over her lids. She looked to be fighting another cry that threatened to leap into the air. Cloud gently took Sirius from Morghann and kissed her forehead.

“Thank you, Morghann. Reno called me and I came as soon as I could.” Cloud mumbled.

Morghann nodded as she rose from the bed. “If you need anything during the night, Cloud, don’t hesitate to wake me or Reno up.”

“Thank you. I will,”

As Morghann exited their room, Cloud rested his forehead against Sirius’s. Her body still writhed against him. He couldn’t tell whether it was from the pain or whether it was the sobs that she was emitting due to the pain. Cloud closed his eyes as he listened to the combination of Sirius’s sobs, her labored breathing and her screams. He felt his own tears squeezed from his clenched eyelids. She’d asked him last night why he stayed with her even when he knew that she was doomed for all eternity to suffer from the Geostigma. In his opinion, it was a dumb question. Why wouldn’t he stay with her? Cloud had just gotten Sirius back and he wasn’t about to give her up so easily. A small stirring caused him to open his eyes. Sirius was looking up at him when he opened his eyes. The blonde could feel her trembling in his arms.

“Cloud…”

The blonde looked down at her and smiled gently despite his tears. “Hey. I’m back. I was a little late.”

Sirius’s lips quirked into a weak smile. “At least you made it. I’m sorry. I probably caused you to come home early. I told Morghann that I could handle it.” She said, shuddering in another wave of pain.

“Don’t be silly. I’d have come even if you could. I love you Sirius and I’m not going to leave you when you need me most.” Cloud told her, kissing her forehead.

“I love you, Cloud.” She whispered as she drifted into an uneasy sleep.

---

“Tifa?” a small girl tugged on the woman’s skirt as she looked up.

“What is it, Marlene?”

Marlene was silent for a moment. “What’s wrong with Sirius? I heard screaming coming from Cloud’s room.”

Tifa sighed as she knelt to look Marlene in the eye before shifting to Denzel, who stood not too far away. “Denzel, Marlene, Sirius is sick. Do you remember when Denzel had Geostigma?” She waited for an affirming nod. “Sirius had Geostigma too.”

Denzel seemed to brighten. “We can just take her to the church in the slums! Sirius can get into the water and it’ll be gone!”

How was she going to explain such a difficult concept to two eight year olds? “It’s not that easy.” Tifa began. “When Sirius was born, some bad doctors put Geostigma in her, so she can’t get rid of it.”

“So Sirius is going to die?” Marlene shrieked, tears filling her wide eyes.

“No. Sirius can’t die from Geostigma. It just hurts a lot. Much more than Denzel and Cloud’s did.” Tifa said in a tone of defeat.

“But you can’t give up on her.” Morghann said from the stairs. “She’s got Cloud, so he’ll keep her in line.”

Reno looked up from his drink. He hoped that Morghann was in a better mood, but he highly doubted it. “How’s Sirius doing?”

“Her whole body feels like it’s being ripped apart from the inside, but other than that, she’s just peachy.” Morghann spat sarcastically. Reno could only roll his eyes. How many more months of this biting attitude before Morghann was normal again? He didn’t quite know. Reno knew it wasn’t all her fault that her hormones had taken control of her. He just didn’t know how much more of it he could take.


---
End Chapter