Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Counterfeit God; Part I ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
11

---

The cabin had been left exactly as she remembered it. Nothing had been touched or moved, save for the spare key, meaning that Reno had recently been here. Judging by the presence of his motorbike, he was still here.

Morghann sighed heavily as she opened the door and stepped into the air-conditioned living room. She could avoid him and leave, but she had decided on coming to the cabin while in Kalm in order to pick up a few things that she’d need until the baby was born. Either Reno had intended to beat her here in order to plead his case, or he had just felt that he could go nowhere else. Moving carefully, Morghann set about heading in the right direction and soon found herself in the study where her books, surprisingly, remained on the desk, also untouched. She gathered the few that she wanted to take with her, stuffed them into the bottom of her bag, then headed towards the bedroom to grab her clothes.

Reno was there, though, and as she entered, both of them looked at each other in surprise.

Reno reacted first, rising from his seat in the window to move towards her. “Morghann, I…”

“I just came to pick up a few things,” Morghann set her bag down and moved towards the closet, half expecting Reno to try and stop her, but the man looked as if, for the first time since she’d met him, he didn’t know what to do. After a minute, he just nodded and turned back towards the window.

“I want you to stay,” He whispered as she folded and packed her clothes. “I don’t want you to leave. Morghann, I know you don’t want to believe me, but what happened…we were set up,”

“Why would someone want to set us up, Reno?” Folding one of her favorite shirts on the bed, Morghann chose not to look at him, but her curiosity over this new theory surprised her.

“To cause a distraction big enough to consume even the people around us,”

“No, Reno,” Morghann grabbed the last few pairs of jeans from the closet and felt herself slipping again. She was going to give in to him if she didn’t leave soon, and right now, that would be much worse than dying. Morghann couldn’t handle him right now, not in her current emotional state when things were too rocky between them. She wanted so strongly to believe him that she was starting to rethink her decision. Something she wouldn’t do because of her concern for her child. Reno’s lies had caused her more stress than she had wanted or needed, and, with no end in sight, she could no longer afford to stick by him.

“The conspiracies are over, Reno,”

“Sephiroth is dead, but that doesn’t mean that all of the evil in this world is gone,” Reno turned to look at her, fighting to hold himself steady, to keep from running to her and holding on to her for dear life.

“Trust me,” She whispered bitterly, pausing in her progress. “I know that,”

It hurt to see how easily he accepted the personal blow. “You hate me, Morghann, I know but…”

She sighed, closing her eyes. “I don’t hate you, Reno…it’s quite the opposite,”

“Then don’t leave!”

“I have to,”

“Why?”

“For the sake of our baby. For the sake of my own stability. I’m healed, Reno, but there are still times when the exhaustion is too much, when the weight of this child threatens my wellness too much. I want so much for your support, but I can’t…Not now,”

“Morghann, I swear on the life of that baby that I was set up! I love you…I was leaving Shinra for you and our child. I even told Rufus at the press conference that I wasn’t going to be a part of the rebuilding and then that reporter caught wind of it…I didn’t like her to begin with but I didn’t think she could twist my words so much when I’d barely said anything at all. When I got to the bar…I was so sure that everything would be all right…Morghann, I didn’t want this to happen,”

She lifted her head and looked at him; finally looked at him, and realized that he was telling the truth. But she couldn’t just give in, not now.

“If someone is setting us up…it’s all the more reason for me to leave,”

“Not like this,” Reno shook his head, slowly approaching her, braced for rejection and just knowing that if he got too close she would grab her belongings and bolt for the door. When she didn’t move away from him, he closed the gap between them and wrapped his arms around her, hugging her gently. “I love you, Morghann. And I love this baby,”

“I know,” She whispered, close to tears. “But I have to go, Reno. I can’t…be around you right now. If what you say is true, then by staying, I could be the cause for even more chaos. If I leave, they will think their plan has worked and that no one is the wiser to what they’re doing. Not that any of us have a clue as to what’s going on…”

“Don’t…don’t stay out of contact,” Reno took a step back and glanced at her stomach. “Morghann…I…”

“I’ll call you, Reno. I want you there when…” Her voice trailed off and she shook her head, no longer able to stand it. “I have to go. Cid is waiting…”

“Morghann-”

“I have to go!”

---

The air outside was cold against her skin and made her shiver outwardly. Winter was setting in, although a little slower than usual. “You wanted to see me, Vincent?” She tried to be gentle about it, but, truth be told, she hadn’t really been too keen on being around him after he’d told her life’s secret to the world without having asked her first. It had made her life very miserable for a time.

“Something’s happening,”

Curious, she looked up at him and followed his eyes to the horizon. The lights of Edge were shining just as brightly as they had been earlier in the evening, but some were dimming now as the last few offices closed. Still shining, however, were the lights on the construction sight of the new Shinra Company. It made her think of Morghann and she felt eerie relief that her friend wasn’t here to see this. The constant reminder of what had happened with Reno would have killed her.

“Sirius, I never really explained why I told everyone your secret,”

Her attention and focus renewed on Vincent, Sirius now fought back a scowl. “No, you didn’t,”

“They had to know,”

“I could have told them! You could have given me time to tell them on my own! Especially Cloud!”

“Who told them doesn’t matter. Nor does it matter how it happened. It’s why it happened that matters most,”

“Then, Vincent, tell me why you ruined my life,”

“You remember what happened after that?”

“Of course I do! I died, damnit!”

“Exactly. If Cloud didn’t know about your past, do you really think he would have told you how he felt?”

“So I’m supposed to believe that you did this out of the goodness of your heart? Please!”

“No,” Vincent turned and looked at her. “I told them because it was something they needed to know. It was something that prepared them for what was coming. And now…now something else is coming. I can feel it.” He turned back towards the direction of the construction sight and sighed heavily. “I spoke to Tseng today,”

“And?” Grumbling under her breath, Sirius refused to look at him.

“That interview was doctored. You knew that, but because of Morghann’s emotional instability you said nothing. You did the right thing and it took us down the correct path. But now another choice has to be made that will either save a friend or destroy three lives for good,”

Alert now, Sirius grabbed his arm. “What’s going to happen to Morghann?”

“Everyone needs to know about her secret, Sirius. We need to tell the others about her connection with the Lifestream,”

“No, not without her permission,”

“I don’t think you quite understand what I’m telling you, Sirius. If the secret is not let out, Morghann and her baby could die. It would destroy Reno,”

“You don’t have the right to tell anyone!”

“Nobunaga Eko is alive, Sirius,”

The silver haired woman froze, looking suddenly horrified. “He’s the one…he’s the one that set them up?”

“He’s creating a distraction,” Vincent turned towards the window and started to walk back inside. “I will not tell Morghann’s secret. That is, ultimately, her decision at this point.”

“Then why did you start this?”

“To let you know that the choice was already made, and that we have now started going down the wrong path,” Vincent shook his head. “Danger surrounds Rocket Town. Morghann isn’t safe,”

“Then we should call them back!”

“It’s too late now,” Looking over his shoulder at her, Vincent frowned. “Saving her life is now, ironically, in the hands of Rufus Shinra.”

Insert break!

“How you holdin’ up?”

Two long months had passed and flying was starting to get terribly uncomfortable for Morghann. At almost full term, Morghann’s pregnancy had become increasingly difficult to handle. Her morning sickness had returned with a vengeance and Cid was quickly becoming aware that their trip would have to come to an end soon. Luckily, he’d completed his last errand two days ahead of schedule and had already set a course back to Rocket Town.

Resting her book on the huge swell of her stomach, Morghann yawned and smiled at him. “I’m ok, Cid. How much longer?”

“Just a few hours until we land. Dinner’s ready, if you’re hungry,”

Her face contorted in a look of disgust, but the hunger she felt would outweigh the nausea for a little while. Besides, she needed to eat.

“So,” Cid said carefully as they started the walk towards the mess hall. “I spoke with Cloud today,”

“You did?” Smiling, Morghann started asking him all of the usual questions; how was Sirius and Tifa and the kids; how was business going, etc. Always the same answers given but today, she decided to ask a different question. “How is Reno?”

Quirking an eyebrow, Cid just continued to walk with her. “According to Cloud, he’s getting to be a real pain. Apparently he’s constantly bugging the shit out of Sirius for news about you,”

“That doesn’t surprise me,”

“You never told me what happened in Kalm, Morghann. I know Reno was there. A couple of the merchants mentioned seeing him before we left,”

Morghann sighed as she stopped walking. “I’ve been mad at him for so long, Cid, that I’ve forgotten why we were together in the first place. I should have known he was telling the truth,”

“How can you be sure that he was?”

“Sirius told me…in her own subtle way two days after the argument happened. She didn’t say anything at the time because…well, because she knows me very well. Had she told me that Reno was telling the truth, I would have turned on her and it would have been one really big mess,”

“If you say so,” Cid started walking again and Morghann followed him, kneading the small of her back with her knuckles in discomfort. “You’re due in a few weeks, right?”

“Yeah…”

“Are you going-”

“To call Reno? Yes, I am,”

“I guess I can understand that,”

“I want him with me when this baby comes, Cid,” Morghann smiled softly. “I owe him that much,”

“You owe that sleaze nothing!” Cid spat at the floor and made Morghann smile.

“It feels good to know that I have some defenders,”

“Of course it does! And since you feel that way, let me also mention that I won’t hesitate to beat the living shit out of him if he acts a fool when the time comes,”

“Sirius said that everything about Reno would change the day he held his son for the first time,”

“Do you believe her?”

“I have to, Cid, for the baby’s sake. I have to. How’s Shera doing?”

Cid flinched and looked away, not too keen on talking about that part of his life. He and Shera…well they hadn’t really parted well a few months ago, and he’d yet to call her to see if there was a chance of reconciliation between them. But he missed her, and because of that, he hated himself for not trying to contact her.

“Call her, Cid.”

“Would you call Reno?”

“My situation is much different than yours, Cid. You don’t have a child between you or the problem of one not liking the other’s job,”

“That’s true, I guess, but I’ve wronged her somehow,”

“Talk it through with her. You can work things out if you can just talk it through,”

“Are we still talking about myself and Shera?” Morghann avoided his questioning gaze and sighed quietly. Truthfully, she wasn’t really too sure which couple she was talking about.

Insert break!

“Yes, I understand. Thank you,” Rufus dropped the phone back onto the receiver and moved to the large window of his office to stare down on the city of Edge. He had a lot to think about, a lot of decisions to make regarding the rebuilding of his company, but it seemed as if he was going to have to venture from that battleground for a while just to step onto another one. Reno’s obsession with finding the reporter who had set him and his lover up to break them up was starting to distract the man from his job. But that didn’t bother him anymore. What bothered him was Reno’s lack of attention to detail. At this point, anyone could walk up to him, say they saw the woman, and without a second thought, he’d go after her.

But he wouldn’t find the reporter and he’d only succeed in driving Morghann further away from him, which was exactly what Rufus didn’t want him to do. Elena hadn’t been able to find the death certificate for Nobunaga Eko and Rufus hadn’t been pleased. It was too easy to connect Reno’s current problems to the mad scientist.

Eko, thankfully, didn’t know about Morghann’s connection to the Lifestream. At least, not for a few more hours. But the second Eko got wind of it, he’d realize that the distraction that was supposed to turn everyone’s eyes away from Rocket Town was actually bringing their eyes right to him. But by the time the others realized it, it would be too late. Morghann, according to his intelligence operatives, had been in Rocket Town for three weeks and Cid Highwind was on his way back to Midgar by himself.

“Shera has gone missing,” Rufus said to himself as he recalled the information he’d been given. “And Morghann’s child is due in one week so she can’t fly because of the cabin pressure. But now she’s been left alone in Rocket Town, where, I’m guessing, Nobunaga Eko is in Rocket Town. He’s the one that’s collecting all of that precious energy, isn’t he? Gathering all of that Materia and all of that Mako…Rocket Town alone has enough of the stuff to destroy half of the eastern continent. Once he realizes who Morghann is and her family history…That child will be the one to pay the price,”

Turning from the window, Rufus studied the phone intently. He could still make a few more phone calls before he made any big decisions. Cid would have been gone from Rocket Town only an hour, leaving his trip with five more hours before he would reach Midgar. He could radio the pilot, but the hail would be ignored.

Another downside of being hated by the one group of people who had the power to save the world from Eko. Reaching for the phone, he hit a number and lifted the phone to his ear.

“I need a favor,”

---
End Chapter