Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Counterfeit God; Part I ❯ Chapter 12

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
12

---

Two pairs of eyes watched the activities that were taking place in Rocket Town. Elena observed through a pair of binoculars the insane amounts of Materia and Mako energy that were being thrown at Eko’s feet. What exactly did he plan on doing with all of it? Surely he didn’t plan on completing the experiment he started eleven years ago. The thought caused her to shiver as she continued to watch the goings on that were taking place below. Morghann had entered the town not three weeks ago, but seemed to be safe for the moment. Shinra had all of the Turks busy spying on Eko in any way that they could. How in God’s name could they get to Morghann to warn her without Eko smelling something fishy? The answer was, they couldn’t.

Tseng was caught up in the logistics reports he was receiving through his PDA. There were several warehouses just south of Rocket Town that was housing all of the Materia and Mako that had been collected thus far. More and more was added to that sum every day. With that amount of Materia and Mako alone, Nobunaga Eko could successfully blow up more than half of the entire East Continent. If that were the case, why in hell was he saving it? What did he need a force that was almost as powerful as Meteor for?

“Tseng, I don’t have a good feeling about this. How are we going to get to Morghann to warn her?” Elena asked, taking her eyes away from the binoculars.

“We can’t.” he replied. “Not without giving our own positions away, that is. I’m sure the boss has already come up with some sort of plan by now. I’ve been forwarding all the information to him.”

Elena shook her head. “But Cid left Rocket Town an hour ago. What if Eko finds out about Morghann in the time he’s gone? We won’t have a choice but to blow our cover.”

Tseng sighed as he flipped open his phone and dialed the number that he knew by heart. “It’s Tseng. Give me the boss.”

---

After Vincent disappeared, Sirius had been fuming silently to herself, wanting to scream at the top of her lungs for his helpful yet, pointless information. She hurled whatever rocks she could find laying on the ground at the lights shining from the construction site of the Shinra Company. Her psyche seemed to be throwing out negative waves as she continued to throw stones as if they’d do some damage. An angry cry finally escaped her lips as another stone flew from her fingers. Why was it that a very few words that Vincent said made her feel so powerless?

“Siri, you’d better come in before you catch a cold!” Yuffie shouted from behind her.

“Sorry, Yuf, I’m not in the mood.” Sirius growled as she hurled another rock across the distance.

The ninja frowned at this. “What did Vinny say to you that made you so mad? You were out here a total of ten minutes. Besides, Cloud is starting to worry.”

Sirius sighed. “Tell him I’m fine. I’ll be in a few minutes, Yuffie. I promise.”

The dark-haired girl seemed to look at her skeptically before turning on heel and heading back to the Seventh Heaven. All the others were there. If Vincent was right about what he was saying, she would have to tell everyone Morghann’s secret. It would be the only way to save her. This time, Sirius blinked back angry tears as she felt the signs of another Geostigma outbreak beginning. She couldn’t let three lives be destroyed because she’d respected Morghann’s privacy. If Nobunaga Eko was still alive, that would mean that he was trying to complete the experiment he’d begun eleven years ago. He’d be looking for her as well. Damn him. Morghann was in danger now and technically, so was she. Another angry cry erupted from Sirius’s throat. Not all the rocks in Midgar could satiate her anger. She was sure anyone who was close enough to her could feel her anger pricking at their brains. She could feel the feathers of her wing underneath her skin. Within seconds, another enraged cry rang from her as the wing burst forth from her flesh and extended gently into the night air. Sirius snorted in a bemused manner. If she couldn’t control her temper, how was she any better than Sephiroth?

Then she thought of a better way to tell the others about Morghann’s connection to the Lifestream. Sending all of her collected thoughts on the matter to the chosen few, she would implant the truth directly into their own thoughts. That way, she technically wouldn’t have gone against Morghann’s wishes. Sirius closed her eyes and in a matter of seconds, the information was sent and the sequence of events was started that couldn’t be stopped or reversed.

---

“What the hell was that?” Barret exclaimed, rising from his seat quick enough to knock the chair over. “Did anybody else see any of that?”

Tifa nodded silently. “It was Morghann and the Lifestream…”

“What does it mean?” Yuffie asked. “I don’t understand any of those pictures.”

“I do. Morghann has a connection with the Lifestream.” Cloud replied. “The only person who could’ve given us all the same information at the same time is Sirius.”

Yuffie seemed to remember something at this point. “I just came from the edge of the slums. She’s out there just throwing rocks at Edge and the Shinra Company construction site. It’s not doing very much, but she seems pretty angry.”

It was at that point that Cloud felt it. Something was wrong, wrong with Sirius. He felt her pain. That must have been from the Geostigma. There was also a fury that he couldn’t explain. Vincent seemed to float through the door as Cloud rose to his feet. He gave the blonde a fleeting glance before he sat at the vacant bar and poured himself a drink.

“What did you tell Sirius that’s got her so upset?”

Vincent didn’t even bother to look at him. “Only what she needed to hear.”

“Which was?” Cloud asked, his patience wearing thin.

“That Nobunaga Eko is alive. She has a decision to make and she realizes that Eko will probably be after her once again.”

“Again?” This conversation was confusing him more and more.

“You’ll have to ask her.”

Cloud rose to his feet. There was another sharp stab to his brain as he felt something different and gained the picture of a wing in his mind. A wing? Then he realized that Sirius had a wing. God, had it reappeared? Would she change like Sephiroth? He had to stop her before she did.

---

This was exactly the break she’d been looking for. Subject 55690 had gone through her transformation. It proved that Sirius Maelstrom was the test subject Eko was looking for. She was exhibiting an enormous amount of power over anger from a cause that was so menial. The spy had to thank Vincent Valentine for pointing her in the right direction. Had she not caught sight of him, she’d not have decided to follow him. The gorgeous raven’s wing extended gracefully behind her, the Mako radiation glowing dangerously in her eyes. Her white-silver hair was tossed about in the wind. It was both surprising and startling how much Maelstrom resembled Sephiroth. If she didn’t know any better, that was a look of agony on her face.

Whipping out her phone quickly, she snapped several pictures and sent them to her boss. Eko would be pleased, especially if Shinra and the Turks were hot on his heels. However, if she’d figured Shinra correctly, he’d keep his discovery in Rocket Town a secret for as long as he possibly could. Turning her eyes back to Sirius, she could see the blue crackle of electricity surrounding her. If one had never seen a clone of Sephiroth, the sight was truly awesome. The spy felt a tremor move up her spine. The thought of the destructive power the woman before her held frightened her. She was brought out of her thoughts by the vibrating of her phone.

“Sheena, did you just send me pictures of what I think you did?”

“Yeah, boss. Sirius Maelstrom in full transformation.”

Eko’s laughter sounded through the receiver. “Excellent. I never knew that 55690 could show such immense power. When she was seven, she showed potential, but I never imagined such power. I’m close to finding the person who can control the Lifestream. I can feel it.”

“Then my job in Midgar is almost done.”

“No, not yet. Cloud Strife is still a problem. After tonight, he’ll be keeping a closer eye on her I have a feeling. Make sure that Shiratori keeps them busy. That redhead proves as an excellent distraction.”

There was silence. “Speak of the devil.” Sheena whispered. “Strife’s here.”

“Get of out there. You’ve done wonderfully tonight. Start again in the morning.”

The conversation was halted with a click of the phone. Sheena closed her phone and shoved it in her pocket. Exiting the scene quickly, a smirk crossed her face. She knew Maelstrom wasn’t stupid. She’d know that there would be a trap set for her. The question was, would she walk into it anyway?

---

The sight that met Cloud’s eyes caused his blood to run cold. Sirius looked eerily like a shorter version of Sephiroth. She must have heard him coming or sensed him for she turned around. A look of shame twisted her features. Without a word, he drew her into his arms. Cloud winced as the electricity stung his skin. Sirius buried her face in his chest and allowed him to hold her.

“I’m sorry, Cloud. I was so angry with Vincent. I couldn’t control it.” She whispered as she felt his fingers stroking the feathers of her wing.

“It’s been so long since it’s broken free. We’ll work on it.” Cloud told her. “I promise.”

Sirius gasped as she clutched his shirt in her fists. “The Geostigma, Cloud.”

“You’re in pain.” He stated. “That’s probably part of it too.”

“Make it stop.” She pleaded as she felt the pain intensify. “Make the wing go away.”

Rather than reply to the statement, Cloud lifted her into his arms. The electricity had died, but he was still careful of the wing, which was drooped over his arm as she was attempting to fold it to her back. Sirius rested her head on his shoulder as her breathing became ragged. It had been longer than expected since her last relapse of the disease. To be honest, Cloud had expected another much sooner. He quickened his stride to a brisk pace, keeping to the back alleys to prevent drawing attention to Sirius.

When he reached the rear entrance of Seventh Heaven, he kicked open the door and made straight for the stairs. Unfortunately, a certain Great Ninja caught sight of him first. “Cloud, you’re back!” The smile she held was wiped from her face. “What happened to Siri?!”

“Geostigma.” He mumbled.

Tifa’s barely audible gasp drew attention from them as well as Barret and Vincent. “The wing.”

Cloud stood rooted in his spot. If looks could kill, Tifa wouldn’t have still been standing. He could feel Sirius’s fear nudging at his mind. She was afraid of what the others might do. Wordlessly, he ascended the stairs and laid her gently on their bed. She was unconscious for now due to the amount of energy her transformation had taken, but that probably wouldn’t prevent her agonized screams later that night. A sharp ringing from Sirius’s coat pocket brought Cloud out of his daze. It was Morghann calling.

“Hello?”

“Cloud? Are you screening Sirius’s calls now?”

He was silent for a moment. “No. It’s the Geostigma.”

“Oh.” Morghann replied quietly. “Did she exhaust herself? I don’t hear screaming.”

“Worse.” Cloud bit out a little rougher than he had intended. “She transformed. Morghann, the wing–“

“What happened, Cloud?”

He shook his head as if she could see him. “I don’t know the details. Vincent talked to her about something that made her angry. Judging from the string of images that she sent all of us telepathically, it had something to do with you and the Lifestream. It’s your connection to it I think.”

Morghann was silent on the other end of the phone. “If she transformed, I’m guessing that Vincent sent her on a guilt trip about having no choice but to disrespect my privacy and fill all of you in because he wasn’t going to be the one slinging mud this time. That bastard.”

“He also said something about a Nobunaga Eko chasing her, but wouldn’t tell me any more than that. Vincent knows more than he’s letting on.”

“Like I said, he won’t be the one to tell us anything anyway.” Morghann said. “I’m glad I called to check on her then. Call it a sixth sense. Anything else, Cloud?”

Cloud paused. “She’s afraid of them, Morghann. She’s afraid of what the others will do to her now that her wing has reappeared. I don’t blame her, judging by Tifa’s reaction.”

“It’ll be fine, Cloud. Sirius is strong and Tifa’s just jumpy. I have to go now. My son is demanding food, if I can keep it down.”

“Alright, Morghann. I’ll tell Sirius you called to check up on her. Goodnight to you both.” Cloud smiled.

“Thank you and goodnight.”

“Nobunaga Eko.”

Cloud glanced over to see Sirius’s eyes barely open. She’d rolled onto her side and was staring at the wall. He sighed as he lay down beside her, facing her. Sirius bit her lip to fight off another wave of pain. She knew she had to explain this while she could still form words. Taking at deep breath, she attempted to stop the room from spinning.

“Who is he? Why is he chasing you?” Cloud asked.

“Eko was a scientist who used to work for Shinra on the Sephiroth Project. He started experiments of his own that weren’t allowed. In fact, he came to see me as much as he could. He wasn’t supposed to, but he did his own experiments on me during his visiting hours.”

“What happened?”

“He found out that he could create a weapon ten times as powerful as Meteor with Materia, Mako energy, the Geostigma in the sheer intensity in which it existed in my body, and something he hadn’t found yet. Someone who could control the Lifestream. President Shinra found out about it and banished him from Midgar. That was after he tried to kidnap me.” Sirius explained, closing her eyes.

Cloud draped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer. “Even if he is alive, he won’t complete this experiment. I’ll make sure of it.”

Sirius smiled, her wing stretching out to cover them both. “I’m glad, Cloud. I’ll fight too.”

---

The blonde groaned as he popped his neck and sat up. Looking over, he saw that Sirius’s wing had disappeared, leaving only a pile of coal-black feathers on the mattress. The pain hadn’t seemed as bad as the time before. He thought that that was also due to her transformation. Perhaps it had taken the brunt of her Geostigma-induced pain. Cloud smiled as he brushed white bangs out of the sleeping woman’s eyes. He’d make sure that she was safe from this Eko person. He hadn’t told her this yet, but he wanted to start a family of his own. Seeing Morghann with her unborn child made him only imagine was Sirius would be like pregnant. He chuckled softly. Maybe after all this was over, it could happen. He and Sirius could move out of Seventh Heaven and into a house of their own. Cloud couldn’t deny that he wanted kids. He loved kids even though he hadn’t showed it very often in the past. The loud ringing of his mobile phone drew him away from his thoughts of the future. He frowned when he didn’t recognize the number.

“Hello?” Cloud’s frown deepened when he recognized the voice of Rufus Shinra right away.

“I need a favor.”

---

End Chapter