Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Fairytale ❯ Destiny Begins ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fairytale


Disclaimer: All of the characters below, except "Octavius Hunter", are owned by Squaresoft (Final Fantasy VIII). I gain nothing by writing this fic...uh, well, maybe, a little number of friends. Thanx guys!
Enjoy!
Chapter One: Destiny Begins
Squall looked at the small girl while she squirmed and wiggled out of the bushes. After a few seconds, Squall noticed that she was not as small as he first thought she was. She looked a little younger than he is, probably about Zell's age, with dark brown hair that had flyaways at all ends. She seemed not to notice that Squall was there, which made him drop that "assassination" idea he'd been alerted about.

Turning his heel, Squall was about to go back to sleep when Zell came running, calling out his name. This was the only time the girl realized that she had company; jerking her head up and hopping above a low bush with her nunchaku to meet up with them.

"H-hey!!!" Zell and the girl called at the same time, running from opposite directions. When they reached the towering Squall, who was in between, they noticed each other's presence and blurted their own questions simultaneously to the "Lone Wolf".

"Can you guys help me?"

"Squall? Do you know her?"

Squall looked at them indignantly and shook his head. He said nothing. Pulling himself away from the two and to his designated place under the tree , he started lying down on the ground and hoped for a goodnight's sleep.
"Is he always like that?" the brown-haired girl asked, the chains of her nunchaku tingling as she eyes Squall.

Zell sighed with a small laugh, "Not really. He's just um-a little silent. Oh, and by the way, my name is Zell. Zell Dincht, and he is Squall. Squall Leonhart."

"Oh! And I'm Selphie Tilmitt!!!" Selphie was about to shake Zell's hand when her eyes went wide in pure realization. So wide that Zell suddenly got scared of her.

Looking at the lying "I-don't-care-about-the-two-of-you-so-fuck-up-and-let-me-have-my-sleep" guy on the ground, Selphie squealed, "You! You're-you're Squall? Squall Leonhart?!" Her shouts came like bursting trumpets on Squall's ears. Heck! What is she? A woman version of Zell?

"Sefie?!" a muffled call came from the dark bushes were Selphie came into view a while ago . In delight, Selphie went pass through Zell and jumped, waving her hands and nunchaku as she shouted back, "Irvy!!! I'm here! I'm here! I found "the SQUALL LEONHART" Sir Seagull was talking about!!!"

Angrily sitting up, Squall sat again and bore a glare on Selphie's back. She was shouting happily while repeatedly turning her head counter-clockwise. Zell looked at the scene with great confusion, gaping as he turned and saw a tall young man with a cowboy's hat appear from the darkness. "Another company." Squall thought, his eyes heavy.

The tall young man in cowboy hat was donned with a navy blue trench coat, his long auburn hair hidden by the hat except for some curly bangs and the ponytail he had behind. Zell saw him carry a huge silver gun and gave Squall an alarming stare. Squall on the other hand didn't feel anything wrong, thus, with his manners controlling him-which came once in several blue moons-stood up from the dirt and walked over to see what's this sudden appearance was all about.

"Squall Leonhart?" the one Selphie called "Irvy" asked with a thick Southern accent.

"I am Squall Leonhart." Squall replied, looking at him and then Selphie, "What do you want?"

"The princess of Deling wishes for your presence. She sent, milady, Selphie Tilmitt and I, Irvine Kinneas, Lieutenant of the Deathzone Squad, to accompany you to your journey." Irvine placed his armed hand down, implying peace. Zell was left astonished.

"The what?!" Zell asked, recovering from his surprise. Squall remained silent.

"The princess, SILLY!!!" Selphie answered, again, waving her nunchaku while she did. "My cousin, Her Majesty, Princess Rinoa of Deling!!!"

Squall frowned. What does Deling want from him now? And hey, in the first place, how did Deling know who he was and WHERE he is?

"We solely would like to have you, Sir Leonhart, our country needs you." Irvine continued, feeling no response from Squall.

"And what if we decline?" Squall challenged a moment later, receiving a mouthful of gasps from the cowboy's lady. "I don't know any of you. Why should I trust you, and this princess of yours?"

This time, Zell spoke, in almost an exasperated scream, "Squall?! Are you out of your mind?! This is the Deling Princess we're talking about!!!"

Squall gave them a "So???" look, boredom etching across his handsome face. Irvine sighed while Selphie's face fell. Kiros was all knowing...and he had expected this.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"For half a million gil as downpayment, this sure would turn out pretty fine." Squall thought as he sat comfortably on a Range Rover which sped across the golden sands of the desert. They had passed through Timber territory two hours ago and was traveling in quite an odd way. As Squall observed, he saw Irvine preventing any roads leading to a checkpoint. Assured with this information, Squall made a conclusion that these two Deling people are out for something illegal...but the princess? She's supposed to be all legal at all circumstances, right?!

Cocking his head, Squall suddenly remembered one time when he was still in Balamb, killing time. The mayor's son got hooked up in a scam, and had with him, the Chief Officer's son and the vice mayor's nephew as accomplices. It looks like a similar thing is happening to him again, helping out brats that couldn't get enough of their family's stature. Lightly shaking his head, Squall closed his eyes. It didn't take long when Selphie, who sat beside Irvine in front, began talking in a whisper.

"I hope we come in time, Irvy. I mean, Rin is so devastated...still no word from Uncle Caraway. I was informed that the Prime Minister's body was recovered...heavily beaten by Hunter's vassals. Rin is just so scared that her father might end up that way...or even worse..."

"Don't worry, baby, we'll get over this. Rin has us, her friends, and add up Sir Seagull plus these two. The martial artist guy has potential, I see."

"You did? Then I'm relieved...you always see through things, Irvy. I trust you."

"Thank you, baby," Squall heard moving sounds, maybe hands, "I appreciate that with ol' my heart."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rinoa woke up as a start, gently rubbing her eyes to fully wake up. Stretching, she reached for the soft blue robe hanging on her bedpost, ready to groom. She brushed her teeth, took a shower and dressed herself neatly. For today, she wore a skyblue sleeveless turtleneck, faded black jeans and wrapped a royal blue chiffon scarf around her neck. Two days have already passed, and still no word from either her father and Selphie.

Opening the connecting door to the living room, Rinoa heard Quistis running around the kitchen. The bungalow that they've rented was quite small, compared to Ecqhuantrion, but Rinoa seem to dote on this place even more. She can feel a certain coziness and intimacy in here that she never felt before. Fully entering the living room, Rinoa carefully closed the door. The door just adjacent to it opened, Zone came out, a greeting smile on his face.

"I see you're up now, Princess." the older man said, "Good morning."

"Good morning to you too, Zone." Rinoa nodded with a smile. She had known him all her life; he'd been her playmate, and cheatmate when it comes to cards. The older man was like a big brother to her, adding up to her list of family since she was the only child of the monarch.

"So where's Watts?" Rinoa looked around, "With Quistis in the kitchen?"

"No. I think he already went to the town gates. I think Ms. Selphie and Sir Irvine will be coming back today." Zone was about to smile, but suddenly, his stomach began to hurt that he jolted back to the room and screamed "Ouuuuch!!!!" inside.

"Had he shown himself to a doctor lately, like I suggested?" Quistis emerged from the kitchen, untying a red apron around her. She was clad with a red halter top and white flared jeans, her hair up as usual. Rinoa shrugged.

"Don't think so..." "Well, I guess we're all alone again, Rin." Quistis shook her blonde head , sinking on the nearest couch, "Irvine and Sefie are arriving today. Has Zone told you?"

"Yup." Rinoa frowned, "I was just thinking Quisty...Sir Seagull trusts Mr. Leonhart so much...but then, I begin to wonder...how? I mean, the way Sir Kiros talked, it was as if he doesn't know Mr. Leonhart at all...and what's worse...it was as if...Mr. Leonhart doesn't know him too."

"Looks like you're missing some point here, Rin. I think Sir Seagull does know Mr. Leonhart."

Rinoa gave her a confused look. Mouthing, "How?"

"Well, inasmuchas we know that Irvine and Selphie are arriving today, we can be assured that Mr. Leonhart is with them, since Sir Kiros stiffly instructed not to come back without him. My point is that, how in the world would Sir Kiros not know him if he knows his weaknesses?"

"That is?"

Quistis just smirked. Rinoa understood, "Ohhh, money."

"But yeah...it's also possible that Sir Kiros thought that that was everybody's price these days." Quistis sighed, leaning the back of her head on the couch, "Oh, I don't know."

"I hope Mr. Leonhart cooperates. Our manpower is limited. Octavius got hold of our army...that slime. If only I could, I would really kill him!" Rinoa gritted her teeth, her fists clenched. Quistis sat up straight, reaching for her in panic, "No! Rin! Stop that! You're gonna-"

Rinoa felt her body shake. Her clenched fists started glowing. She looked at her hands. Not again. Anger. Pain.

The sound of tires stopping short screeched outside. Quistis stood up, placing her hands on Rinoa's shoulder in support and kneeling in front of her, "Rin, let go. Let go of anger. Nobody must see you like this."

"Quisty..." Rinoa whispered, squeezing her eyes shut. Controlling was beginning to hurt. It always hurt. Since she was a little girl, everyone seemed to try not making her angry, of course, under her father's command. Nobody actually knew why, except Quistis and Selphie...they knew... her powers...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Gifted with a strong intuition, Squall opened his eyes a few seconds before the Range Rover stopped. The last thing he knew was Irvine and Selphie talking about "Rin", which Squall guessed to be "Rinoa", aside from that, he doesn't know anymore.

It surprised him to see a well lighted village outside. He expected the gloomy outskirts of Deling, in which he'd been along one of his journeys. Winhill was very calm, serene...so refreshing that Squall was beginning to have a good impression on his job-whatever it was. Yeah, he just took the money and didn't even asked what it entails. You can't blame him though, the downpayment itself can already buy him a car.

Zell, who sat beside Squall, woke up immediately when he heard Selphie's door open. Irvine killed the engine, pulling and playing with the keys as he beckoned the two out. Squall saw a small bungalow with potted plants stand before him. An apple tree was just nearby, and from where he was, Squall could see an improvised swing dangling from one of its thick branches. Selphie, unlike how she sounded while having a talk with Irvine hours ago, was once again bouncy and happy. "Maybe, she missed home..." Squall told himself, following Zell and Irvine inside the house.

If Squall thought the outside was pretty and quite UN-royal-like as he expected, the insides would frighten you. It's not that they lacked furniture, they just have everything simple. No expensive looking lights, flat-screened Tvs, two door friges and the like; instead, the living room was appropriately decored-simply but nicely, with sofas of cool fabrics, a small glass coffee table in the middle, an all-purpose cabinet which held the twelve-inch Sony tv, some chairs and a dining table... it wasn't bad at all...compared to those places Squall lived on.

When the three men came inside, Selphie was standing with two other women, both taller than her. Squall noticed that the blonde one still had her hands on the black haired one's shoulders, but when she felt their presence, she slowly retreated, her eyes looking directly at Squall. Squall broke the eye contact, his intuition working, looking at the smaller figure in front the blonde lady.

Feeling the weight of pondering eyes on her, Rinoa turned, meeting a pair of gray eyes. She felt her heart skip a beat, her anger melting...almost instantly. She fully hoisted her head, her eyes narrowing a little...and she began to smile. For some reason, she felt security, assurance and hope fused into one. That was the first time...since her escape from Deling City.


Author's Notes: Chapter One OVER!!! Yey!!! I kinda infused some new attitudes in our heroes...well actually, I think they already have these attitudes, the problem is that, they weren't emphasized in the game. :) Read and Review please!!! Thanks!!!