Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy IX: The Endless Sleep ❯ A Performance: Attack on the World ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sixteen years have past. Sixteen years since Kuja was defeated and the world was saved from destruction. In those years my best friend and his wife had a child. That baby would be one of the keys to save the world. Her name was Princess Garnet Dagger Alexandros Tribal. The other keys are the friends we made. The other keys well are the friends we met. Me, I'm just a friend… just someone who doesn't seem too important. I don't know what my purpose is. Maybe it's just to lead them or protect them. Whatever my job is… whatever my purpose is… I'll find out… its time… the final battle. But even before this… I remember… how it happened, how this all began. Well I guess I should tell you just in case I die. I'm a thief, an actor, a friend… my name's Blank.

Final Fantasy IX: The Endless Sleep

A Performance: Attack on the World

It was Princess Garnet's birthday and it was going to be a wonderful celebration. I was sailing with Tantalus to Alexandria. We were going to be performing "I want to be your canary." Marcus was playing the lead again and I was just a backup along with Cinna. Baku got to be King Leo again but I didn't mind. I didn't have to remember to many lines. I sat in my room. It was small and had two beds a dresser a mirror and a chest. I looked out my window to see we were near Alexandria. It hadn't been a long time since I was there. Last time was about two or three weeks ago.

When the ship docked I walked out of my room and saw a few of my friends hurrying out to see are friends. I personally wanted to see Zidane and talk to him again. Although I wouldn't get a chance until dinner rolled around. I walked down a few corridors until I reached a door. I opened it and walked outside and saw Zidane and his wife Queen Garnet. "BLANK!" shouted Zidane. The blond haired man ran up to me. He wore a white shirt with a blue vest and pants. We hugged each other quickly and then I turned to Garnet. Garnet wore a white sleeveless dress. I bowed to her and she laughed. "Blank you don't have to bow." She said with a smile. I nodded.

From behind King Zidane (I'm never going call him that out loud) and Queen Garnet was a tiny little mage. It was Vivi Ornitier. Vivi was still short but not as short as he use to be. He was probably more powerful too. He was standing next to Eiko Carol. She still wore that big yellow bow in her hair. But she was much taller. She wasn't a kid anymore. The behind them holding a tray of food was Quina Quen. I still wonder if he's a boy or a girl. I rolled by eyes and then looked over at Zidane. "Hey where's Rusty?" asked Zidane looking over at Garnet. "Don't call me that!" said Adelbert Steiner from behind. Zidane grinned and looked over at me. "Sorry Lord Adelbert Rusty Steiner." He said giving him a bow. Steiner growled and looked away.

Zidane grinned and turned to me. He then nodded his head toward Steiner. He took a hand full of food from the tray Quina was holding and sent it flying at Stiener. It smacked right at the back of his head. His armor helmet and head was smeared with food. Stiener spun around to see Zidane laughing hysterically. Right then I thought Stiener would kill Zidane. King or not. Just then Beatrix grabbed his arm. "Albert I need your help please come with me!" She said taking her arm. Luckily she was able to drag him away before someone would have gotten hurt. "You wasted food, oh my." Went Quina who was upset.

I shook my head and took some food off the tray. I sniffed it first. It didn't smell bad so I took a bite. It was good. I stuffed the rest in my mouth and I saw Zidane looking at me. "Last time he made something I was sick for three days." He whispered to me. I gulped but then I saw Garnet smiling and shaking her head. I then saw Vivi taking a bite of the food. He was always nice to anyone. I guess that's what made people like him.

I then noticed Eiko. She was sitting on the ground trying to stop from giggling. I still think she liked Zidane despite the fact that he was married. I then noticed three people were missing. "Hey where is Armarant, Freya, and…?" I asked looking around. "Well Amarant and Freya left a week ago." Said Garnet. "I'm not sure but they did." "What about… never mind… there she is!" I said.

Just then I saw someone running out of the castle. It was a teenage girl. She had light brown hair and blue eyes. She wore a white strapless dress. On her head was a white gold crown that wrapped around her head. "BLANK!" she shouted. "Hey Dagger." I said as the girl wrapped her arms around me. When she let me go she smiled. "Happy Birthday princess." I said. She smiled again as I pulled out a small present for her. "Open it up later." I whispered. She nodded and then took my hand and led me inside the castle. I always thought Dagger had a soft spot for me. Maybe it was because I was always around and played games with her. Whatever the reason was made me think she liked me.

The castle looked pretty. The floor was made of white marble and had plush red carpeting. The walls were an off white color and had paintings. The windows were crystal clear. Dagger led me to her room. She then looked at her present and put it on her bed. Her room was too girly. It had a light pink wall and floor. Her bed was huge. It had a canopy and pink covers. "Can I open it?" she asked. I shook my head. "Wait until the intermission." I said. "Why?" she asked looking at me sadly. "Because I have to go set up and I want to see you when you open it kid." I replied leaving. "Baku will have my head if I'm not down their setting up." She nodded and waved goodbye to me.

I walked out into the hallway and jogged back to where the play would be held. Setting up was easy. Getting on the horrible looking costume Ruby made me wasn't. Ruby is a nice girl but I refused to wear that aqua color suit. She told me I'd look cute but the thing would have looked bad with my red hair.

When night fell everyone from Tantalus was ready to perform. Baku came out and told everyone about what happens in the play. "Lady and Gentlemen." He began. "Tonight's story takes place long ago our heroine Princess Cornelia is torn from her lover, Marcus. She flees the castle only to be captured by her father, King Leo When our story begins, Marcus, having heard of this, crosses swords with King Leo Your majesties King Zidane and Queen Garnet, your highness Princess Garnet, noble men and women, and out rooftop viewers. Sit back and relax as Tantalus proudly presents "I Want to Be Your Canary." The crowed applauded. Then Marcus, Cinna, and I came out to fight with Baku. The play was enjoyable. The people were clapping and awing at the special effects and the battle scenes. Zidane knew how it worked obviously so he wasn't that enthusiastic but he liked it. I could see him looking down at me from the balcony. He was clapping and behind him I could Garnet sitting down and clapping. Behind Garnet were Vivi, Eiko, Quina, and the others. They were also enjoying themselves.

It was almost time for and intermission but before that would be a battle scene. I pulled out my sword. Marcus drew his and we began to fight with one of the other Tantalus members. We clashed are swords and did back flips and other stunts. Just then Marcus jumped over one of the actors and "stabbed" him. Fake blood poured out onto his costume. People went ooh and even screamed. "Blank." Said Marcus. "We must go before more of King Leo's guards come." I nodded and I ran off stage. Marcus stopped halfway. "I have to meet my canary…" he then turned the other way and ran off stage. Then the curtains closed and the stagehands began to pick up the gil from the fight scenes.

I wiped my face in a towel and took a cup of water. I was happy to be in my normal clothes rather then Ruby's costume. Just as I sat back in my chair I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. I looked over and saw Dagger. I quickly got up and dragged her out of site from anyone. "You can't be back here!" I said in a loud whisper as I got her out into the main hallway. She looked at me innocently. "I'm sorry Blank but I thought we could go open my present know." She said. I rolled my eyes and nodded. "Okay well I'm not in the next two acts so let's go." I said. "But you'll miss the play." She smiled and said. "I've seen it before a lot of times." She said dragging me up the stairs.

As I was going up into the castle no one realized what was happening all around castle… no all around the world! Evil things were happening but the people on the rooftops or the people in the castle watched the play to begin.

When I reached Dagger's room the play already began. She dimmed the light so no one would see us. She then walked over to her nightstand and picked up the present. "What is it?" she said looking at it. It was a rectangular shape green velvet box. I tied a dark red ribbon it so it wouldn't look plain. She undid the ribbon and opened the box. "Oh my…" she said. Her eyes lit up as she picked up the object inside. "A knife?" she said. I shook my head. "No, a dagger." I replied. The dagger had a dark gold color hilt with two emeralds in them. The cover was brown and gold every other place like stripes. She pulled the cover off and looked at the blade. It shined off the light in her room. The blade was made of Mithril.

"You like it?" I asked breaking the long silence. "I love it!" she said hugging me. "But dad would never want me to have this." She said letting me go. "Well you dad doesn't have to know about it." I said with a wink. She smiled and then put the cover back on the blade. Just then there was a loud scream. "What was that?" said Dagger walking over to the window. "The play?" "Can't be!" I replied walking over to it. "No one dies in those scenes." We looked out the window and Dagger screamed. Bunches of weird bug like creatures were attacking the people. I gasped and then suddenly I heard screams coming from the hallway. "Dagger get back!" I said pushing her into the corner of the room away from the window. Just then the door burst open and two giant bugs came in. Dagger screamed, which got the attention of one of the bugs.

I pulled out my sword and took slashed one of the bugs. It screeched and smacked me against the wall. "BLANK!" screamed Dagger. She rushed toward me and looked me up. "Look out!" I shouted. A bug jumped at us. I pushed her out of the way and we slid across the floor. The bug crashed into the wall and died or at least I hoped it did. The other bug let out a screech, which broke the windows and cause Dagger and I to cover our ears. The bug monster then opened its mouth and tried to shoot something at us. I pulled Dagger out of the way and stood on top of the windowsill. "Blank were trapped." She said holding onto me. "Do you trust me?" I said. "Yeah." she replied quickly. "Then hold on tight. I then fell back out the window holding Dagger with my right arm. Dagger let out a scream as we fell but half way down I grabbed onto a rope and we went swinging. I let go and we fell onto a bunch of seats were the nobles sat.

Dagger groaned but I picked her up and saw a bunch of bug monsters and nobles lying motionless on the ground. Just then Dagger screamed. "MOM! DAD!" she screamed in distress. I looked up and saw Queen Garnet fall down and Zidane trying to fight off four bugs. "ZIDANE!" I shouted. He looked at me and then did a back flip off the balcony. He landed on the ground on both feet then collapsed. "DADDY!" shouted Dagger running to him.

She ran to her father's side with me right behind. He looked up at me weakly and said, "Get out of here." He said. "What about Garnet, Vivi and everyone else?" I asked. "They were hit… with the bugs poison… like me." He said showing a small hole in his neck. "Go… before the come after you." I saw the look of pain in his eyes. Suddenly there was a huge boom. I gasped and saw Tantalus was on fire. "Daddy I won't leave you!" I head Dagger cry out. "Go know… GO!" shouted Zidane. I nodded but Dagger wasn't about to run away. So I picked her up and threw her over my shoulder. I then ran out as fast as I could. What I didn't know and was that someone was watching us. Dagger saw him though. His black eye looking at her blue ones.

I ran through Alexandria dodging the bugs that were still alive and whatever. I wanted to go back for Zidane but he wanted us far away. I don't know how long or how far I ran that day but we hit a forest. I hated forests. So I stayed near the edge. I wasn't about to get petrified again even though it wasn't the evil one. I placed Dagger down. She looked furious with me. Tears streamed down her cheeks but fear was in her eyes. I never saw anyone that was sad, scared, and angry at the same time. "WHY DID YOU LEAVE MY DAD BEHIND!" she wailed. I gasped and clasped her mouth shut. "SHUT UP!" I said in a loud whisper. She glared at me but I shook my head. "Listen your dad wanted you to be safe if I took him I'd have to protect you and him if more of those bugs were around!" I explained. More tears poured out of her eyes and she clamped onto me and cried into my chest. Her warm tears fell down my chest and I groaned. "Blank… what if there are monsters here too… what is they kills us?" she asked me.

I shook my head and cradled her. "I'll stay watch." I replied. "What if you fall asleep." She whimpered. "I'm a light sleeper." I replied. I wasn't always one though. After being petrified I felt as though something was out to get me. I tried to get Dagger to sleep so she would calm down and get together. She was a nervous wreck. She was shaking and full of terror. I did get her to sleep after a while. When she woke up she was better. We spent two days in the forest until I thought it be safe to go back. But I wasn't sure at one point or another.

When we returned Alexandria was destroyed. People were lying on the streets and places were destroyed. I wanted to look for someone alive but Dagger ran to the castle. Once inside I saw people laying around… some dead. "Dad!" said Dagger. Zidane was where we had last saw him. He was unharmed but… was he dead? Dagger dropped to the ground and cried. "Daddy." She murmured. I looked at him and closed my eyes. A tear fell but I wiped it away. I opened my eyes and gasped. I knelt down and held my ear to his chest. "He's alive!" I said happily. Dagger looked up with tears. "What?" she gasped. "He's breathing, his heart is still going!" I said happily. Dagger gasped and hugged her dad and shook him. "Daddy… daddy… wake up!" she said shaking him. She then looked up at me. "What's wrong?" she gasped. "He's asleep." I replied getting up. I ran to a noble woman. She was sleeping as well. All the people were sleeping except those who were killed of course.

I then gasped. Tantalus had been on fire. I ran to the stage and looked around. I walked carefully on the burnt wood so it wouldn't collapse. I then went back stage and gasped in horror. There were people burnt to death. I didn't know whom but I cried. I then ran around and saw more people dead. Tears flew off my face as I ran from place to place seeing more people dead. Then when I went down the last corridor I gasped. There lying on the ground was my boss, Baku. I ran to him and then looked down. I heard soft footsteps from behind. I looked back and saw Dagger. I pressed my fingers to Baku's wrist.

Dagger took a step closer. Her hands on her chest and she trembled. I looked at her and then looked down. She gasped softly and looked away. Just then I heard a crackle. I looked at Dagger and then at the floor. "DAGGER LOOK OUT!" I shouted. It was too late. The floor gave away and she fell down. I rushed to the whole and jumped down. "Are you okay?" I asked helping her up. She looked at me and nodded. I pulled her up and then looked up. "We have to be careful this place could collapse at any moment. She nodded and ever so carefully we walked off. When we got off into the corridor I gasped. In front of us were Cinna and Marcus. I walked to Cinna and Dagger to Marcus.

I checked Cinna's pulse and gasped. "He's alive." I cried. "Marcus too!" she replied. I was crying harder. I though everyone on Tantalus had burn to death. But they weren't. I was happy but more upset. I had lost nearly everyone that I held dear to me. "Blank we have to get out of here." Said Dagger. I nodded and then groaned. How was I supposed to carry both Marcus and Cinna without the floor breaking? "We'll have to drag them out." Said Dagger. "If there is to much weight at one spot it will collapse." Dagger was right and it was worth a shot.

I took Cinna and Marcus' hand and dragged them toward the end, which led to the bottom of the stage. Dagger was in front and she opened the door. I dragged Marcus in first a placed him on an elevator that would take him to the top of the stage. Dagger rode up with him and tried to drag him to safety. As I went back for Cinna I heard a crackle. "Damn." I said aloud. I got Cinna and carried him my shoulders and jumped on the elevator. I heard a bunch of crashes as we got up. When I got to the stage I heard the thing begin to collapse. I ran and jumped off the stage and onto the floor. I saw Dagger who amazingly somehow got Marcus to safety.

After a day Dagger and I were leaving. We didn't know what to do but maybe we could find help. Maybe there was a place that was safe from harm. Before I left Dagger found me covering Vivi up on the balcony. "Why are you covering them?" she asked. "If it gets to cold they'll at least be warm… I hope." I said finishing up. I looked at dagger. She had a drawstring pouch tied to her belt. "What in there?" I asked. "Potions, remedies, and other things." She replied. I nodded and then stood up. I took my sword and held it over my shoulder. "Okay but you better get a weapon." I said. She looked at me and nodded. She then walked off to her parents' room. Zidane kept his weapons there.

I stood where Tantalus was. I didn't know how long I waited but Dagger came. She was now holding a double edge sword. It seemed too heavy for her to hold. "Can you use that?" I asked. "I guess so." She replied. Just then she noticed something I hadn't. "You're bleeding!" she said. I looked at my arm. She then held out her hand and whispered something and my arm was healed. "You know magic?" I asked surprisingly. "Yeah my mom taught me…" she looked away with tears beginning to from. I put my hand on her shoulder and she gave me a small smile. We then headed out. I didn't know where we were headed but we had to find someone anyone who could help us somehow.

Author's note: I wrote this fic like last year and I never finished it so might as well post it and finish it! Hope you all like it Also you'll see some new characters and some old. Well till next time bye!

Princess Hikaru