Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VI: The Final Judgement ❯ Divide and Conquer (Part 3) ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 9.


The group walked through the Phantom forest in silence. The train was no longer there so they had to make their way to Barren Falls by following the tracks.


"I can't believe that Gau would wonder off like that," Terra said picking a leaf from her hair and dropping it to the ground. "I'm sure sir Gau is fine, Terra." Cyan tried to comfort her. "He may have been scared and run back to the castle."


"You're right, Gau is fine," Locke says putting his arm around her shoulder which was a little hard from across a bird that wanted to walk a little faster.


"I wonder how the others are doing?" Edgar said up ahead of the group. "It's getting pretty dark." Cyan walked up ahead to catch up with Edgar. "Maybe we should set up camp?" He asked in question. "No, not right here. We should make our way to the Veldt first than we sleep." Hearing their conversation Terra sped up with Locke doing the same.


When they passed the others they sped up as well. "Hey guys, wait up!" They traveled as fast as they could be carried until they hit Barren Falls.

"You know the drill." Locke said dismounting his bird then jumping off the cliff side with Terra following.

"I guess no one told them that they have a walking path to the bottom now." Cyan patted the birds on their sides and sent them back to Doma. "Shall we, sir? Cyan asked.

"By all means, after you." Said the king. They walked down the path to the Veldt.


* * *


"What took you guys so long?" Locke said panting and wiping wet hair from his forehead. "We took the path." Edgar said with a sly smile.


"Are we going to stay in town?" Terra asked. "Mhm mm, too risky. We better camp out in a cave somewhere around here."


They walked over to the mountain that lined the waters edge and looked for a cave to camp out in. "Found one!" Locke announced and they walked inside setting up their sleeping bags. "Good night everyone." Edgar said to them. "Good night." They replied and went to sleep.


As everyone drifted off to sleep, Edgar remained awake staring into the dim light coming from the cave entrance. 'Can I be so responsible?' He thought 'Can I be as adult in this type of situation again? Ha! Me?....A leader.....A king.....A friend....A person.

My young life taken, all by the flip of a coin for a place in life that I thought I wanted.' He downcast his vision. 'And look at Terra she shows so much maturity for her age, coming along with us when she could have given up and stayed in the woods to look for Gau.'


He began to remember that night their father had died, when he and his brother had to decide who took the thrown, Sabin had rebeled aching to keep his youth while he had been eager to be an adult.....to be like his father, a beloved ruler of the land, but he also wanted to keep himself normal, to be a good friend, instead of becoming power hungry like other kings in the lands.


'I have done that....but to what extent? What if I had been the one who left?.....Would I be feeling this fear of failure to protect when needed every time?....No, I'd be right along with the rest of them just hoping for the best outcome- trusting my abilities rather than the thought of my duties to serve as leader.....could I?' He rolled over on his back with his arms behind his head and stared quietly into darkness.


"What's that noise?" He said to himself. It sounded like music? But where was it coming from? Edgar got up from his sleeping bag and walked to the mouth of the cave. 'It is music!' Edgar looked around the best he could and felt for Locke's bag. When he got it he dumped the contents out and searched for something.

"I hope he kept them," He whispered out loud. "ah, here they are." He smiled at the fist full of clothes that belonged to the soldier Locke had taken them from.


He went outside and slid them on, when he was done he tried to look into the river for his reflection by the moonlight. Nothing but a shadow. "Guess this is as good a time as any to trust those abilities." He marched across the field to where the sound was coming from.


There was a shack by the hills, surrounded by dirt walls. 'What are they doing in there?' He thought to himself as he peered over the clumps of dirt. Edgar moved closer to the window and looked in....they were having some kind of party. It was a bar, there was music, women dancing, what was going on?


A group of soldiers were heading to the entry way and Edgar used this chance to slip in un-noticed. "Yeah, did you see the look on those fools faces when we pounced on them?!"


The soldier laughed loudly. "Oh, p-p-pleeease don't hurt us! Ha ha haa!" The men laughed harder. Edgar walked over to the bar and sat down trying to be casual, the bar tender gave him an odd stare, but asked his order anyway.


"What'll it be?" He wiped out a mug and turned around. "Um..." The king cleared his throat trying to make it sound deeper. "Any type of rum would be nice." The man mumbled something Edgar didn't hear as he surveyed the place with his eyes twisting himself on the stool seat.


'Filth...' He thought and as he skimmed the room, he came across a dart board with a picture of him on it and looked rather annoyed by this, "What's next on the list?" One of them asked. He turned back around the right way hearing his mug slam down on the counter.


"That filthy town, Mobliz a distance away, might as well start close if we're gonna take over this place." He continued listening in on the conversation. "To the Empire." He said false hearted raising his mug and taking a drink.


"Saaay," The bar tender began to say. "You new around here?"


"Why no, I-..Oof!" A soldier smashed a chair against his back pushing his stomach into the bar counter. Edgar groaned in pain trying to stand up and fight, but as he pulled out his sword he suddenly felt dizzy. "Ohhh, what's-....happening? Am I drunk?" He held his head hearing the soldiers laughs fly up.


"How'd you like your drink your highness?" He sneered at him. "Get him!" One of the men cried. Edgar swung around blindly but missed every time. The soldiers were getting live with excitement from the thought of fresh returner blood.


They pushed him around the room and as he was shoved to one of the men, he was kicked in the stomach and dropping to his knees he was bashed again over the back, thinking it were over he shook the sick feeling standing up in battle stance. "Lets go." Edgar said bravely. He wouldn't go, not without a fight! Not now. Not ever!


The king whipped out his newest weapon that had just been made, an auto-crossbow with flame arrows, his aim was a little shaky but he fired. "Look out!" Soldiers leaped out of the way and some of them blocked his fires. "Aaahhhhh!!!!" One of them cried, dropping to the floor trying to put himself out.


The drug was too strong for him causing him to stumble backwards and fall against the wall. "He's ours!" A Templer guard said, but, when they advanced on him. Flash! A huge white light lit up the entire place. There was a loud buzzing sound over head and Edgar shielded his eyes to see what it was along with the soldiers.


Bum Rush! With a flash the room was in a battle! "AAHH!!" Soldiers shouted. "Neveeerrrr!!" One of them cried out. Locke broke a chair over a mans head then smashed his face into a table. "Ooooo!" Cyan jumped into the air using his Schimitar. Celes was kicked in the back but spun around and returned the gesture in the stomach, the soldier rolled over a table and she stabbed him with a Illumina.


Sabin punched a soldier into the corner of the wall and gave him a full faced pummel attack. Terra ran over to Edgar lying delirious in a corner. "Are you OK?"


"Just a little bruised," he said getting a helping hand to stand up. "I think-" he stammered out. "I think they're gonna torch Mobliz."


"What?!"


She couldn't believe her ears! "Come on, Terra!" Locke's voice shouted. "We gotta go!" She couldn't hear him she was blinded by anger. Sabin slipped his arms around his brother, "I got him," he started for the door as the bright light faded away, but, she wasn't listening. "Terr' what are you doing?" Sabin asked watching her.


A heat began to grow around the Esper girls body as she spread her arms walking to the center of the room pulling heat in, she then brought her hands together like a prayer and she began her command....."Phoenex Fire Strike!" The others ran for the door as the place went up in a blaze.