Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VI: The Final Judgement ❯ Secret's Out ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 10.


Terra was standing outside on a cliff side thinking quietly to herself. 'I can use magic, so what? It's not like it hasn't been seen before....but still, it feels wrong like it's meaning something more than I can detect...but what?' Terra thought walking up a cliff side the next morning.


"Terra?" Setzer said sitting down beside her and she sat down as well and stared into the rising sun.

"They're mad at me aren't they...?" She said mechanically.

"I believe the word you're looking for is confused." The gambler said and took off his jacket putting it around the Esper girl noticing her tiny shudders, but it wasn't from cold, it was fear. "Terra, why didn't you tell us that you..." The words wouldn't come out of his mouth, so she finished his thought. "....Still have magic?" She bundled herself in his coat and continued looking at the sunrise.


"I thought it all disappeared back then, that you were a full human?" He watched her face to make sure he wasn't over stepping the conversation. "Oh Setzer," she sniffled and leaned against him lying on his shoulder. "Why didn't it go away? Why didn't it leave my body? Why aren't I normal?"


"Sshh," He hushed her rubbing her shoulder. "Terra-...? Terra do you remembered when I told you about my airship? My....need to fly?" She nodded. "Well it's destiny now, my destiny, just like all the others have their destiny's.....and having magic-...being part Esper....is yours....." She shook her head wiping tears, "you're just afraid," he continued to say. "but you know in your heart that you're not, and you'll do this...you can do this."


Terra began to straighten herself up as it sank in. "You're right, I can do it, if I believe I can, if you guys believe I can?" She said moving herself away of him.

"We do," the gambler replied with a smile then he glanced over his shoulder making sure no one was watching and he gave her a quick kiss on the cheek, then stood up. "Now, I have to be off. See you, Terra." He ran a distance and she called to him. "Wait!"


Setzer stopped and turned around. "What about your coat?!" She asked. "Keep it!" He yelled over his shoulder waving as he left. She smiled to herself yanking it on tighter. 'Setzer?' She had a thought back to the day the world was coming to an end, they were scared- the air ship had broken in half from a blast, and he tried to save her, he held on as tight as he could but they were both blown off. Why hadn't she kept a hold of his hands? Terra stood up and began to walk back to the air ship with the others.


* * *


In Thamasa. "I made it," Relm said relaxing. "and not a scratch on me." She laughed happily and ran for her Grandpa's house. "Grandpa!?" She shouted up the stairs. "You awake?!" She stomped noisily as she ran down the hall. "Grandpa.....?" He was asleep, his Matron looked over at him then her and silenced the child.


"Is he alright?" Relm asked and the woman nodded, but it seemed forced along with a smile. Relm walked over to the bed and stared down at him, he didn't look very healthy to her. His skin was pale, very pale, and he was hardly breathing.


"Oh Gramps..." she was starting to wish she hadn't come here at all and she'd just stayed and fought with the others. "I'm going out for some medicine, seems like herbs are hard to find now a days, will you watch your grandpa Relm?" The woman asked. "uh-huh." She sat down on the chair next to his bed and watched him sleep; as the matron left the room she turned back with a frown at the sight of it then left. 'I know....you'll be ok.'


She thought solemnly and patted his fading hand. Someone was watching her again and as they moved closer she heard the creak on the stairs making her jump from the start'.


"Whose there?!" She jumped up looking around. "Show yourself, don't make me paint your picture!" She stared into the darkness a little scared. "Wait! Gau no want get hurt from friend, Relm." The boy came from the shadows on all fours.


"Gau," she sighed out. "what are you doing here?"


"Gau run," he began into a story with a flash back to what happened. "Friends get attacked, Gau fall down- roll away, when Gau come back, fight over and friends gone.... Gau go back to last places Gau remember, but can't find way in castle, Gau go back to boat place, man take him to Nikeah, Gau see friend Relm, Gau follow her and be here."


"Oh...." She said returning back to her seat by the bed.


"This Relm grandpa, still?" Gau asked looking down over the man in the bed.

"You know I never undertsand you when you talk- at all!" Relm shouted.

"You mean friend, Gau wish never came, Gau leaving." The boy turned and walked away. 'So go on then,' Relm thought with a slight sniffle. 'I don't need anyone here sympathizing me, no one at all.' She began to cry into the pillow on the bed. A shadow moved behind her in the darkness, had Gau really left?


* * *


"Come on, you guys. We have to get going..." Edgar yelled to everyone that strayed the camping location. Setzer walked up to Edgar and pulled him away from the group. "What are we going to do about Terra and her secret?" He whispered. "I'm not sure....we'll have to wait it out I guess, come on old man." He patted his shoulder and walked away.


They all boarded the air ship and began to take off. "Where to?" Setzer asked.

"We should fly around for a while and look for any soldiers that escaped last night...I'm thinking some of them may have gotten away." Edgar said to them sitting down at Setzer's desk. "Or worse someone was standing around watching the whole thing and they went to tell their new master." Sabin was saying. "I mean, a guy wounded would take a while but some by stander could easily get there."


They all thought about the possibility that they were found out. "So the question is....what do we do now?" Terra asked her eyes scanned the room for the answer when she looked at Setzer his attention was out the window, she looked down a little dismayed.


* * *


Imperial Vector. "Sir, we're sorry to report sir but our maps were stolen from the hide out," The figure cocked its head at his soldier and in a shiver he continued. "the returners may be on to us now." He backed away hiding his face from what he thought would come next. The figure just smiled behind the shadows.

"You know what to do." A deep, evil voice emerged from it.

"Yes, sir!" The soldier saluted proudly and turned around to alert the other men.


"Oh! And one more thing." A shrill voice came and with the push of a button the man had been killed. "Make ready for the attack." It ordered another soldier and he rushed away. "Soon Terra my lovely, very soon." The man took to the air at the sound of command.