Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Final Fantasy VII, and although I would love to own Sephiroth, I don't own him either. <sigh>

Author's Note: This is my first attempt at fan fiction, so please review: constructive criticism is always welcome. Asterisks (*) usually signify a change in the focus of characters, and thoughts are surrounded by these ( ~ )unless otherwise noted. And yes, I know the title is horrible, I can't think of a good one, so if anyone has any ideas as they read, post it in a review and I will be happy to look at it. Thanks!

Prologue

Jenova's mind screamed in pain. Waves of endless torture burned through her veins as her life slowly left her torn body. Her tentacles reached forward, pulling her heavy weight through the snow, leaving a carpet of red behind her.

Her pain was not only physical. She'd just lost the battle she had waited and planned so long for. She had been beaten by that blond nobody, a failure, and now she was alone, crawling across the frozen ground, waiting for death to take her.

Thousands of years she had lived, all for this. A flash of pain drove through her again, and this time she screamed aloud; an inhuman scream that shattered the silence and pierced the air. As the scream ended, her body heaved forward, approaching what looked like a city. Jenova glanced up with weary eyes at the crumbling buildings in the distance. With great effort she continued, fighting death with her every movement.

Her task grew more arduous as the snow disappeared and grass replaced it. She was nearing the fabled city, refusing to give in to her fate. As the sky lightened and rays shone through the trees about her, Jenova reached the city. She dragged herself along the cobblestone path toward a nearby house.

Underneath the canopy of the oaks and evergreens, a giant seashell stood beside a calm and crystal blue lake. The water sparkled, inviting her, and Jenova slipped her body into the cool and comforting liquid. Feeling at ease, she began to sink, the water covering her as she traveled towards the bottom.

Jenova opened her eyes beneath the surface of the pond and found that she could see perfectly. The water seemed to quell her fury, and she prepared to die.

Just before the calm could overtake her, Jenova suddenly snapped back into full-consciousness. Startled, the pain returned. Something had caught her eye. A figure was floating in the water not far away.

Biting back the pain that streaked through her body, Jenova tried to swim closer to the body. As she got closer, she almost gasped in surprise. The young woman's body was perfectly preserved, kept in this condition within the magical waters of the pond. Her skin was slightly pale, her face whitened with death. She hovered mere inches from the sandy bottom, her pink dress flowing out with the motion of the water. She looked peaceful, as if in deep sleep and in the middle of a comforting dream.

Jenova could feel the aura emanating from the woman's body. Even in death, her power still lived. Jenova knew this power very well. She drew nearer, her thoughts coming into focus. Slowly, a plan formed in her mind and Jenova smiled through her pain. Jenova knew this woman. In fact, she knew her very well.

She had caused her very death.

Jenova almost laughed with joy. Not wasting a second, Jenova grasped the woman's body in her tentacles and drew her close. Acting quickly, Jenova pierced the woman's pale skin with tiny barbs on the end of her tentacles, sending her cells flowing into the dead body of the woman. When she felt like she was in control, Jenova reached out, and began to draw the healing powers she felt from the woman. Soothing warmth began to enfold her, slowly healing her wounds. The gold aura spread about them, bathing them in healing light. Jenova smiled as the bleeding stopped and her deep wounds began to close. Her heart began to beat faster and she could feel her strength returning. It was almost complete.

Just then, Jenova heard a scream. It was far off and soft, but it rang between her ears as the light increased and the woman in her arms moved slightly. Then, she sensed the heart beat within the woman that Jenova clutched to her body. Jenova laughed and with newfound strength, Jenova swam to the surface of the water, dragging the young girl with her. Her pulled herself onto solid ground, gasping for air. Then she turned and laid the woman against the soft earth beside her. The girl was breathing weakly now and Jenova smiled again. Fate had never been good to her and her people, but she had somehow survived. She vowed to get revenge someday, but now all she needed was rest. When she awoke she would have a plan and the tool to execute it.

And this time she wouldn't lose.