Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 3 - Cid Highwind's Problem and Barret Wallace's Position ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Final Fantasy and all of its wonderful characters, especially Sephiroth, are not mine.

Author's Note: Sorry about the delay on chapters. I do have a life besides typing a story I began writing over a year ago. Sad, I know. Got back from a cheer competition and I'm feeling very tired and very sick…and yet I'm still typing so be happy! :o) Enjoy and review!

Chapter Three - Cid Highwind's Problem and Barret Wallace's Position

Cid Highwind puffed nervously on the cigarette that dangled on his lips. Butterflies ran rampant deep in his gut as he forced himself to take deep breaths.

"Come on Cid," he said softly to himself. "You can do it."

Cid dug his hand deep into his pant's pocket and pulled out a small box. He flipped open the velvet top and gazed at the ring inside.

It was his and Shera's engagement right. Well, it would be, if Cid ever got the courage to ask her.

After nearly losing her twice, Cid finally came to realize how much Shera meant to him. He never told a soul how he felt, but he couldn't imagine life without her.

Now if only he could find the words to tell her.

After all that he'd been through, (the battles, the fighting) he couldn't find the strength to tell Shera how he felt. Silently, Cid cursed his weakness, shoved the ring back into his pocket, and left the house

There was one other thing Cid couldn't live without: flying. Work had already begun on the second airship that he was to be Captain of. Unable to come up with a good name for it, he'd reluctantly began to call the airship in progress the Highwind II.

Although similar to the original, the Highwind II was much sleeker, and, when finished, it would cut through the sky like a warm knife through butter. Cid and his men were almost finished, just adding the finishing touches. It's shining sides were painted in hues of deep and pastel greens, complimenting the bright blue sky. Cid smiled up at his ship, his eagerness to fly again strong. Almost two years of hard work, but it would soon be finished, and he could take to the skies again, soaring above everything.

If only everything else were so easy.

"Cid…"

Cid spun around at the sound of his name, his heard picking up tempo with incredible speed. His eyes locked with hers and he swallowed hard, shoving his hand into his pocket and fingering the small velvet box, searching for words.

"What Shera…?" was all he could come up with.

Shera sighed, looking a little disappointed. Cid cursed himself silently again. "There's a phone call for you inside…" she said softly, her eyes falling to the ground.

Cid nodded. "Thank you." He walked swiftly past her, his heart thumping in his throat, and walked back inside.

Once inside, Cid hurried to the kitchen and picked the phone up off the table.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Cid?"

"Yeah, this is him."

"Oh hi! This is Tifa!"

Cid smiled. "Hey there! It's been awhile."

"I know!" Tifa paused. "So, how are things?"

Cid sighed. "All right, I guess. Highwind II will be finished soon, and she's a beauty."

Tifa chuckled. "That's great and all, Cid, but that's not what I'm talking about, and I'm pretty sure that's not all you're thinking about either."

Unfortunately, she was right. "Yeah, I know. I'm working on it…"

Tifa laughed. "Well, anyways, I called because I have some good news."

"What is it?"

"Cloud and I are getting married!"

"Congrats! I'd sound more excited, but I'm not really surprised," Cid said honestly. "But I will say it's about time."

Tifa chuckled. "Yeah, the wedding is May 7th. We're letting everyone know now `cuz we want you all to come."

"I'll mark it on the calendar. Shera and I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Tifa laughed again. "If she doesn't have a ring on her finger by then, then you're as hopeless as Cloud."

Cid's mouth dropped. "How'd you…?"

"Let's just say Shera and I are good friends," she said innocently. "Don't leave her hanging."

Cid sighed. "I have to go. The guys are waiting for me."

"Yeah, I should go too. I still have to call Barret, Reeve, Yuffie, and Vincent." Tifa paused. "Just think about what I said."

"All right Tifa, thanks," Cid said. "Keep in touch."

"Bye Cid."

"Bye Tifa."

Cid slowly hung up the phone and sighed. "So she knows…," he said softly to himself. He shook his head sadly, pulled out another cigarette and his lighter, and went back to work.

* * * * *

"Mayor Wallace," came a voice from the intercom. "There is a call for you on line 2."
Barret looked up from the pile of papers that cluttered his desk and sighed. He reached he left hand forward, pushing a small red button.

"Thank you, Sue."

"You're welcome, sir."

Barret reached for the cream-colored telephone, pressed the button for line two, and put the receiver to his ear.

"This is Mayor Barret Wallace."

"Hi Barret!"

Barret smiled. It had been too long since he'd heard that voice.

"Hey Tifa. How's Cloud treatin' ya?"

Tifa chuckled. "He's still got a few of his quirky habits," she said.

"Glad to hear he's the same old Cloud," Barret replied. "So when's the wedding?"

"May 7th."

Barret nodded, shuffling through the clutter on his desk, finding his calendar among the papers. "I'll mark it down right now," he said, retrieving a pen.

"Great!" Tifa exclaimed, her voice bright with excitement. "How are things in North Corel?"

After the destruction of Meteor, Barret had retrieved Marlene from Aeris' mother, Elmyra, and had gone home to North Corel with her. Expecting another cold welcome, Barret was surprised to fall into the loving arms of his old home town, where he'd once lived with he now dead wife. The villagers had embraced him, welcoming him back, and making him a hero. They talked about how he and his friends had saved the twice: once from the runaway train carrying the Huge Materia, and once from Meteor. His heart swollen with their words of praise, Barret began the reconstruction of North Corel with his own two hands.

And now he was the Mayor of New North Corel; a thriving town of families that continued to prosper. Barret Wallace was once again happy, and his pride and joy, his daughter, Marlene, was not 11 years old. She and Barret live peacefully in the Mayor's mansion.

In fact, everyone seemed to be settling down.

"Oh rather boring, actually," Barret said to Tifa with a hearty laugh.

"Oh, that's too bad. No giant dragons to fight I suppose," Tifa said, laughing as well. "I have a ton of calls to make, and I'm sure you have work to do, so I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Definitely," Barret said. "Marlene misses you."

"Give her a kiss for me," Tifa said. "Bye."

"Bye."

Barret yawned and looked back at his desk, slowly hanging up the phone. He sighed before going back to work, looking forward to going out to dinner with Marlene after she came home from school.

Author's Note: Sorry so boring. Still bringing characters into the story. Two more chapters of this crap before things start to get interesting. Annoying, yes. Necessary, also yes. Sorry. Reviews!