Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 8 - Painful Memories Rekindled ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own it

Author's Note: Get ready for a ride. Here we go. By the way, I'm not very good at battle scenes, so don't laugh at me too hard. Any suggestions? Give them to me in the reviews! Enjoy!

Chapter Eight - Painful Memories Rekindled

Jenova looked down on the small town, watching it burn with glee. The houses were on fire and dark smoke rose into the air, draping around her like a shawl. She glanced over at the old ShinRa Mansion and watched as Vincent carried Cloud out of the building. She also noticed another figure racing into town, on that was very familiar. His cape blew back as he ran and she recognized him immediately.

"So my old `son' is back from the dead?" she said to herself, chuckling. "How things are working out for me."

"Shall I destroy them, mother?"

Jenova turned her massive body in the air, flying towards the voice. She smiled at her new toy. "Yes, my dear. Kill the one that helps the blond. Leave the blond and the silver-haired one to me."

The woman nodded and let herself fall onto a rooftop and leaped from building to building towards the three of them. Jenova laughed aloud as she watched, and they followed. She didn't want to miss their reactions when she showed them her surprise.

* * * * * * * *

"Come on, Cloud," Vincent yelled. "We have to hurry!"

Cloud moaned. The throbbing his head had lessened, but seeing his hometown again in flames brought back memories he could hardly bear.

Sephiroth turned and saw them lagging behind and ran back to them. "Is he okay?"

"What do you think?!" Vincent snapped.

Sephiroth sighed. "We can't keep him out in the open like this. Jenova could…"

"Too late!" came a hideous reply. They all turned their heads to see Jenova hovering above them, a frightening smile on her face. "Hello boys. Miss me?"

"Go to Hell!" Sephiroth shouted.

"Oh, feisty words for you mother, Sephy," she said playfully, "but you won't be behaving like that for long."

"What makes you so sure, you hideous bitch!"

Jenova laughed. "You can't resist me, my son. Or even if you do, my new friend will destroy you."

"So what kind of innocent person have you corrupted this time!?" Sephiroth was attempting to buy time, searching for an easier solution than fighting.

"Well, I guess now is a good a time as any to introduce her to you."

~ Her!? ~

"Come here, my daughter! Your mother calls."

Sephiroth, Cloud, and Vincent watched as a figure moved from behind the flames, walking silently through thin air, and emerging from the thick smoke. Her long brown hair fell down her back in waves, her pink dress snapped down the front, opening at her knees. She held a metal rod tightly in her right hand, and her eyes glowed a fearsome red. Their mouths dropped open in amazement - and horror.

"Oh…God…now," Cloud moaned, retracing his dreams. "Aeris…"

It was indeed their old friend, who had been mercilessly killed years back by Sephiroth, who now stood in shock beside them.

"Oh!" Jenova cried. "It seems you've already met!"

"How!?" Sephiroth shrieked. "What have you done to her!?"

"Why, I gave back what you took from her," she replied sneering. "Life."

"A life of servitude!"

"Silence!" Aeris snapped, finally speaking. "Do not go against mother."

"You see!?" Jenova laughed. "Even she obeys me! What do you resist?"

Cloud looked up at her with sad eyes. "Aeris…what are you doing?"

Aeris glanced down at Cloud, a look of disgust in her eyes. "Be quiet mortal, or I shall strike you down where you stand."

Jenova laughed. "I have a better idea. My children will return to me. It'll be like one big happy family." Jenova rose higher in the air, reaching out with her tentacles.

~ Come to me, my dear. ~

Cloud cried out as searing white pain lanced through his head. He fell to his knees, his hands clasped tightly around his ears as if to try to prevent Jenova's words from penetrating his mind.

~ Come back to me. ~

Sephiroth could hear her words that she sent to Cloud's mind, but she had lost control over him. His blood boiling with rage, he raced at Jenova, Masamune gripped tightly in his hand. He began to bring it up to slash at her when a bolt of lightning shot down from the sky and hit the ground in front of him. The explosion caused him to fly backward, landing on his back a few yards away.

Sephiroth jumped to his feet to see Aeris floating above him, her arms outstretched, an evil grin on her face. She motioned again and Sephiroth had to leap out of the path of another lightning bolt. Cursing, he held up his blade in a defensive position. He dodged another elemental attack, a prong of ice that shot up from the ground before he began his counter attack.

"Fire 3!" he shouted, directing the flame towards Jenova. Not expecting a materia attack, her hide exploded into flames as the orb on his sword flared green. She screamed and began to fight the fire that licked her skin and Sephiroth saw Aeris dip in the sky, as if she had barely saved herself from falling.

Meanwhile, Vincent was tending to Cloud, who shook like a leaf in a heap on the ground. He caught sight of Jenova as her backside burst into flames, and aimed the Death Penalty at her chest. He fired, sending a spray of bullets into her and she screamed in rage and pain. He fired again, and as he hit his mark again, she rushed at him, flinging his body aside with one tentacle as she wrapped the others around Cloud's torso and flying higher into the sky. She turned, looking directly at Sephiroth.

"You can't escape me, my son," she cooed, fighting against her rage. Jenova's eyes flared red and Sephiroth heard a crack, like the sound of a rubber band breaking, followed quickly by an ear-piercing scream.

Sephiroth snapped his head around to see Aeris hanging in the air like a rag doll, her head slumped forward.

"What are you doing to her!?" Sephiroth screamed.

Jenova laughed and that horrible snapping noise sound filled his ears again, followed by another cry of pain.

"I'm tearing my bindings from her mind," she said, holding an unconscious Cloud in her tentacles. "It's killing her. She is of no use to me anymore."

Another snap filled his ears and he watched in horror as Aeris dipped dangerously. He feared she would fall.

"Well, my son, I must depart," she mocked. "I have most of what I came for. It seems you have betrayed me and so the girl shall suffer." She smiled when Sephiroth clenched his teeth together and his knuckles turned white around the hilt of his blade. "Farewell, my child. I shall see thee again soon."

As she flew off, she began to laugh wildly, and Sephiroth heard another loud snap. He turned in time to see Aeris scream and begin to plummet towards the ground. Involuntarily, Sephiroth leaped forward, sheathing his sword in mid-air. He sprinted at full-force and lunged for her, his arms outstretched.

He was almost too late.

Sephiroth brought her body close to him as it landed in his arms, and he kneeled to lay her softly on the ground. Vincent, who had just recovered from Jenova's blow, was soon at his side. Sephiroth looked down at Aeris. Her eyes were closed tightly, as if she were asleep, yet in pain. He sat on the ground, then took her up again and laid her across his lap. He reached to his side with his right hand and grabbed his sword hilt, his left arm cradling her head. Vincent started as he grabbed the sword hilt, but relaxed when the words, "Cure 3," fell from his lips.

A green materia orb flared on his sword as rain softly began to fall. Multicolored light sparkled and enveloped them. Sephiroth watched Aeris' face and he heard her sigh as her features relaxed and she fell from a painful state of unconsciousness into a deep, healing sleep.

He knew he couldn't stay here. She would be back soon. Standing, Aeris cradled in his arms, Sephiroth looked around. Rain had begun to fall in sheets, dousing the flames that had been caused by the precious burden he carried. Thinking of only her safety, he walked to the edge of Nibelheim with her and mounted Cloud's chocobo, Stratus. Aeris held firmly to his chest, he began to ride, and left Vincent standing in the downpour.