Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 11 - Simple Revelations ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I'm quickly running out of slightly funny phrases to put here. <sigh> I must be simple today. I do not claim any of these characters. They belong to Squaresoft.

Author's Note: I am glad that all those who have reviewed my story so far have enjoyed it. It really gives me the motivation I need to keep typing it. So keep reviewing, and don't forget to be specific. If you think I should fix something/change something let me know and I'll take a look at it. If you REALLY like something specific, let me know! That way I know what exactly I'm doing right. Thanks!

Chapter Eleven - Simple Revelations

Vincent's head pounded with relentless pain as he walked briskly outside into the cool air. He could hear his pulse pounding in his temples and the muffled cries of inner torture that escaped Tifa's lips still rang in his ears. He felt helpless again, the way he did when Hojo had taken his life from him. That helplessness ran deep in his bones, like a black river that endlessly flowed with rippling sadness. His heart ached; its charred remains refusing to give up while it continued to eat away at his spirit.

Vincent turned his blood filled gaze to the sky, where white puffy clouds barely concealed the sun. A brisk wind billowed under his cape and Vincent inhaled deeply, calming his mind enough to reflect on the situation.

When a dear friend is in danger, people often act without thought, which is exactly what had happened. Tifa went into a fit of rage in which she tried to pummel Vincent himself for summoning Cloud here. After wearing herself down, she had slumped to the floor, her body shuddering as she sobbed, her anger and sadness seeping out in her tears. The others immediately assumed that Sephiroth was behind all of this somehow, and were talking of the many painful ways they could kill him. The ruckus just seemed to pile up on itself until Vincent could no longer stand it. He has swiftly left the inn without a single word.

Vincent sighed, tightening his metal, clawed hand into a fish and shook his head sadly. That feeling of helplessness was sinking into his skin again.

"You couldn't take it anymore either, I see."

Vincent chuckled at the sound of Red XIII's voice behind him.

"I guess not," Vincent replied. "Do you have a decent plan, or are you planning to track Sephiroth down like a bloodhound too?"

Red XIII snorted. "I am no canine," he muttered. "Do we have any leads to where he has gone to?"

Vincent shook his head.

"Then we wait. There is no purpose in rushing head on into nowhere."

Vincent sighed, knowing his friend was right. Cloud and Jenova had to show up again sometime. He just had to hope they'd be ready for them when that time came.

* * * * * *

Sephiroth's eyes popped open and he sat bolt upright.

"Ugh," he moaned. "I fell asleep again."

Sephiroth could still see the imprint of the side of his head on the sheet of Aeris' bed. She still slept soundly, but her health was clearly returning. Her face was not nearly as pale and there was finally color in her cheeks.

Sephiroth almost jumped out of his skin when Aeris' body suddenly shifted, and he watched as her eyes fluttered open and he caught a glimpse of their bright green color.

Aeris focused her eyes on the far wall slowly before she turned her head against the pillow and look directly into Sephiroth's face.

Her face paled suddenly and she slowly sat up, her eyes locked with his. She looked around, rather dazed, before settling her gaze on him again.

"Are you dead again?" she asked suddenly.

Sephiroth chuckled. "As strange as it may seem, my dear, I am not."

Aeris simply stared at him. "But, I am dead, so you must be." She glanced down at the bed and poked it with her index finger. "It feels so real. This is a strong illusion, even with the power of the lifestream."

Aeris was clearly not completely conscious. Her thoughts were jumbled and the look on her face was one of a very fatigued person who had a little too much to drink.

"We are in Mideel," Sephiroth explained, "which is very close to the lifestream."

"No, we are in the lifestream. I am dead, and I stayed in the lifestream because…" she paused. "Did I save them!?" she asked suddenly, panic in her voice. "I remember now! I sent the lifestream out to aid Holy!" She glanced around the room like a frightened animal. Her fragile mind had been assaulted far too quickly. Sephiroth knew he needed to calm her down so she would go back to sleep for a little longer.

Sephiroth nodded. "I know. And you did save them. They are all alive and well," he lied smoothly. He knew perfectly well that Cloud was not so well off. Sephiroth swallowed hard before he continued. "Do you remember me?"

"Of course, Sephiroth," she said bluntly. "You were the one that killed me."

Aeris looked at him blankly for a moment, before yawning and stretching her arms above her. "I'm tired," she said, lying back down. "Goodnight, my killer."

Sephiroth just stared at her for a moment, at a complete loss for words.

Author's Note: A little awkward, eh? Aeris is just a tad out of it. A little crazy in the head. It's okay tho, she'll be fine soon. hehe