Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 23 - Prisoner of Inner War ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: And now comes the answer to that burning question - Is Cloud going to not be a pussy and save himself…hm…not likely…but let's find out shall we? Enjoy and review!

Chapter 23 - Prisoner of Inner War

All Cloud knew now was blackness. Darkness hovered about him, threatening to consume him, accusing him and mocking his weaknesses. Cloud tried to run and hide in the corner of his own mind, but he couldn't get away. It tormented him, and he finally gave in. He was trapped. There was no escape for him.

A light blinked on in a moment. Cloud shielded his eyes and saw a figure in the distance. The light was blinding and he turned away.

"You can't run away from me, Cloud," he heard her whisper. "It is too late for you."

"You tricked me again," he said softly.

"You never had a chance," she replied. "You are a part of me. You can't resist me. And now I have you right where I want you."

Cloud glanced around into the inky blackness around him.

"You don't even know where you are, do you? You don't even realize what it is you are fearing."

Cloud glanced over at the figure and watches as Jenova stepped out of the light.

"I have trapped you deep within your own mind," she said, chuckling at the irony. "The pain of your reality finally forced you to flee from your own consciousness, just like Sephiroth did."

"I am nothing like Sephiroth!"

Jenova laughed. "You could be his twin. You run from yourself and your doubts. You feign ignorance to your weaknesses and let them consume and destroy you. How do you think I got Sephiroth to do my bidding? He even died when I asked him to."

"What are you talking about?"

"He even murdered the only person he ever loved because I told him to!"

"It's a lie! You are a liar!"

Jenova laughed. "Well, you are partially correct. Technically, he didn't kill her; I had the honor of doing that myself, but I made him watch. I buried his soul deep within my own mind after his body died. Taking his form, I used Sephiroth's image to strike fear into the innocent, and make you follow me."

"It can't be true," Cloud whimpered. "It was you all along. You killed Aeris."

Jenova nodded. "Good to see your finally catching on. Too bad it is too late. I have you right where I had Sephiroth all those years ago. If only you had trusted him, he probably could have saved you."

Cloud clenched his teeth in fury. "I don't need Sephiroth. I'm stronger than he is. I beat him in the crater!"

Jenova laughed. "And you will kill him again, soon. I will see to it personally."

Cloud glared at her. "What are you saying? Are they coming for me?"

"They are coming to try and do the impossibly. They can't save you. Your body is mine."

"I will fight you."

"You can't succeed. It is over for you. Your resistance won't last long either. Besides, even if I gave you your body back after I'm finished with it, there will be nothing left for you to go back to."

"You bitch! You wouldn't"

"Perhaps I should be fair to Sephiroth and make you watch when I force your body to run Tifa through with your own sword."

Cloud ran at her, prepared to wrap his fingers around Jenova's throat and choke her life out. Instead, he was suddenly frozen in place.

"Naughty Cloud," Jenova taunted. "Now you'll have to see everything. I'll make you watch as I eliminate every one of your pathetic friends. This I will recreate the Black Materia so you can summon Meteor for me. You'll watch your Planet destroyed and I will rise to rule what is left. And I will have my Knight by my side."

Jenova grabbed him and pulled him close to her. He couldn't struggle.

"Our children will repopulate the world. A new, powerful race will be born and I will rule them all," she said icily into his ear before releasing him.

"You are insane," Cloud spat. "You will never bear my children or take Tifa away from me."

Jenova laughed. "How will she react when you confess you loved Aeris? What will happen when she realizes you ran to me because your weak and broken mind thought I was Aeris?"

Cloud's eyes fell to the floor and he crumpled to the ground.

"You'll know when the time has come for your friends to die," she whispered. "I'll be sure you don't miss the show."

She disappeared and Cloud fell back into his darkness, fleeing back to the corner of his mind. Overcome with weakness and helplessness, Cloud wept. There was no escape for him this time. It was up to them now.

Author's Note: Sorry all you Cloud lovers…He's going to go cry some more. Here Sephy comes to save the day! And don't worry, Cloud too will have his time in the sun later. Until next chapter! Reviews!