Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 24 - Arrival ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note - Gah, I'm being absolutely terrible with these updates and I apologize profusely. Please don't hate me!!!! Um…so…here we go! R&R!!

Chapter 24 - Arrival

Cid landed the Highwind II just outside Bone Village. Sephiroth shuddered slightly as he stepped onto the ground and Aeris put a king hand on his back. They were both a little unnerved as they followed the others toward the small excavation camp. The Northern Crater was close, as well as the Ancient City, and both were places they both dreaded returning to. They were both filled with so many horrible memories. Sephiroth was sure that Jenova kept Cloud in the Ancient City for that very reason. In Aeris' form, Jenova could easily be able to control Cloud with these painful memories being constantly resurfaced by the environment. And that would be the good news. Sephiroth didn't think it was impossible that Jenova had full control of Cloud's body the way she'd had on his won in the Northern Crater. If that were the case, it would be up to Cloud to free himself, or die the moment Jenova did.

Sephiroth led the group through the forest to Bone Village. Aeris walked closely beside Sephiroth, her face grim and worried. Tifa's expression was almost identical.

"Are you okay?" Sephiroth whispered softly to Aeris, motioning for her to walk closer beside him.

She nodded slowly, but her sigh told him differently.

"Don't worry. This time, thing are different."

Aeris shook her head. "Yes, but this time it's worse. I knew what was going to happen last time. I was simply giving into my fate and my duty as a Cetra." Aeris tried to hold back the tears that threatened to leak from her eyes. "But now Cloud is in danger because of me, and I don't know if we can save him."

Sephiroth glanced over at Tifa, but she hadn't heard. Feeling slightly relieved, he put his arm around Aeris' shoulders.

"This isn't your fault, Aeris. Cloud's not in danger because of you. Jenova is to blame." He gave her a gentle squeeze. "Don't ever blame yourself. Cloud wouldn't want that either. And I will do everything I can to save him."

"I know," Aeris said. "We just have to do our best. I just hope it is enough."

There were only a few archeologists still doing research in Bone Village. The group passed through quickly and headed toward the Sleeping Forest. Sephiroth turned to the others as they entered the seemingly endless maze of trees.

"Who has the Lunar Harp?" he asked, holding a hand out.

Vincent stepped forward, pulling a small golden harp from under his cape. Sephiroth took it and played a few notes. The sound waves carried the notes through the gentle wing and they echoed gently, bouncing off the trees with a twinkling effect. Bright green light flooded the forest, blinding them momentarily. As their sight returned, a path had appeared to lead them through the forest. There was silence as the party followed the path toward the beautiful Ancient City. The tension thickened around them, and it only grew denser the closer they got.

* * * * * * * * *

Cloud was beginning to panic within his own mind. He was standing alone in his darkness in a nervous fighting stance. His muscles were taut and strained, and he was shaking slightly in his silent effort. As a tiny bead of sweat slid down the side of his face, he broke into a fevered run. His legs and arms pumped furiously as he sprinted through nothingness, his face red and his breathing labored. He ran and ran, and just as he though his heart would explode, his body struck something and he fell back with incredible force. Cloud felt as if he had just run headfirst into a solid brick wall. He moaned softly as he tried to get back on his feet. His eyes were wild with fear as he glanced around, looking for what he'd run into. He reached out into the blankness. There was nothing. He walked forward again and was about to break into another run when he hit something solid and hard again. He spread his hands along the surface, feeling it under his palms. Yet, he couldn't see the wall that kept him from going further. An invisible barrier had him locked within his mind. At this realization, Cloud sank to the ground in defeat. Crumpled on the ground like a discarded bathroom towel, Cloud wrapped his strong arms around his body and wept for being so weak. He didn't want his friends to die, especially on his own blade. Now that he knew the whole truth, he couldn't do anything to help. He had hated Sephiroth with everything inside him, and knowing now that Sephiroth had been a victim as Cloud was now added another layer of fury on his heart. But that fury quickly turned to despair as his feeling of helplessness returned. Now that he was in Sephiroth's shoes, would AVALANCHE kill him? Even if they knew the truth, they couldn't possibly save him now. He wished for death: freedom from this prison. Now he only wondered, would they be able to kill him?

Laughter filled his ears as Jenova appeared beyond the invisible barrier. She walked towards him and had soon slipped through he wall to stand above his crumpled soul.

"I thought you would be more amusing to watch than Sephiroth," she said. "He at least tried to break my barrier. You gave up after running into it."

Cloud didn't move. He wouldn't give her the pleasure of inciting his anger.

"I know how you wish for death. Don't worry. After all your friends die, your death will come - slowly and painfully. That is, if your soul doesn't crumble first. I'm pretty sure that hurts worse." Jenova laughed again. "No wait. I bet you think your friends will give you the quick death you long for. Perhaps your beloved Tifa will set you free."

Cloud shuddered below her and she smiled. "Don't worry, my dear. You won't have to wait long to see the drama unfold. I promised I would come when they arrived, and so here I am."

There was a flash of painful white light, and Cloud was suddenly seeing through his eyes again. His body was inside one of the large conk shell homes in the Ancient City.

"I trust you remember this place," Jenova said inside his head.

Of course Cloud remembered. How could he forget? Cloud tried to raise his right arm, but all he got in response was Jenova's cackling laughter.

"Did you honestly think I'd give you control of your body?" she asked. "How stupid do you think I am?"

Cloud quieted his thoughts, gazing out through his eyes.

"Enjoy the view," she said. "Soon you'll be begging me to shut those eyes. Your friends are here."

Author's Note - Good? Yes? I hope so? Get ready, a battle is coming soon. And please don't flame me Cloud lovers…I have nothing against Cloud…it's just a story after all. <Smile> Reviews please!