Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 25 - An Idea ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note : Hello again, long time no type from me...sorry. Life's been rough, haven't had time to type. But, here is an update, finally. Enjoy and please review!

Chapter 25 - An Idea

The Ancient City was silent. The only noise that they could hear was the whistling of the wind through the trees and the sound of their own feet against the sandstone walkways.

"It doesn't sound like anyone is here," Tifa whispered quietly.

"Oh, they are here," Sephiroth mumbled. "I can feel it."

"How?"

"Cloud is filled with my old cursed cells."

"Why didn't you know that he was coming to attack us in Mideel?" Aeris asked curiously.

"I was newly alive then, my dear," he reminded her gently. "I've been practicing since then."

"Can you use Jenova's cells?"

"Not fully, as that would reawaken them. But to an extent, yes. I am still learning about myself, but I think I know how to help Cloud."

"Really?!" Tifa's face filled with hope.

"I think I can help him, but he will still have to get out on his own."

"How can you do this?"

"The cells in Cloud may have a Bactra trace, but they are mine - NOT Jenova's. Therefore, technically, he `belongs' to me." Sephiroth sighed. "There are other things I can do, but they are for last resorts only." Pain seemed to lace across his face, as if he were reliving a horrible memory. "I hope, for everyone, that it won't come to that."

Everyone was silent again, including Aeris, who was the only one who actually knew what he was referring to. She vowed she wouldn't let it happen.

Sephiroth pointed to a nearby ridge. "He's just over that hill, at the intersection below. He's waiting for us." Tifa swallowed hard. "If he attack, don't let your guard down. We don't want to kill him, but you don't want to get killed yourselves, either. Destroying Jenova is the most important thing. Her body should be near Cloud's." Sephiroth sighed. "Keep him busy while I try to help him."

Everyone nodded and pulled out their weapons. Aeris quickly casted Wall on them and they turned to pass over the ridge. The figure ahead was unmistakable.

"All right, Cloud," Sephiroth whispered to himself. "The final showdown begins. Will you let me help you, or will we have to fight again?" He paused. "Don't make me have to kill you."

* * * * * * * * * * *

Cloud could see the group in the distance coming over the top of the hill. He stood in the middle of the Ancient City on the sandstone walkway, the glistening lake and the path to the Ancient Capitol at his back. The figures he was were familiar, and one stood out in particular.

Even though he knew the truth, he couldn't help but feel the emotions twisting in his head. Anger filled his mind. His fury was filled with images of his sneering face. And now, he was coming for him, and his comrades, his friends, and even his lover were following him.

Thoughts raced past him. Confusion and uncertainty were his only realizations. He didn't know whether or not he could trust him. Was he here to help or maim? His name brought nothing but terror and anger to his heart, and yet he had been a victim. They had switched roles. And then, an even more important question entered his thoughts.

Is he coming to kill me? And will my friends allow him...or perhaps...assist him?

Cloud felt helpless again, but he was a little more hopeful. If death were to take him, now the villain, at least his life would be taken by the heroes of this tale. Sephiroth allowed it to happen and so would he. If he had to make the sacrifice, he would.

"You won't have the chance," Jenova whispered to him. "And neither will they."

Cloud didn't answer her this time. He didn't have to. Looking out his eyes, he focused on Sephiroth, and realized something. He remembered this feeling.

Sephiroth was once again the man who had created his motivation when he was young. He was the man who had made him want to be a member of SOLDIER. He was Sephiroth, the war hero. He was his childhood role model all over again. And although he was jealous, uncertain he could trust him, Cloud was smiling inside.

Jenova only laughed. "Too bad he's going to die, my dear."

And once again, Cloud didn't have to answer her.