Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 26 - Silent Battles, Silent Prayers ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note: Sorry the last chapter was so short...unfortunately, a lot of these coming chapters are all about that same length. I just stop when I find a good break. I'm sorry if that makes the chapters short, I don't mean to leave people hanging...to bad anyway. :o) This chapter jumps around a bit, try to keep with me otay? Here is the next installment. Anyone have any good ideas for a better title yet???

Chapter 26 - Silent Battles, Silent Prayers

Cloud stood relaxed just up ahead, his arms loose by his side, hi hand hardly holding the sword that pointed down at the ground. His head was slumped down slightly, but his eyes glittered with life as they angled their awful gaze at the group. Sephiroth knew all too well that gaze of hate. It had been on the face of countless victims who had watched their loved ones die. It was the same look Cloud had given Sephiroth so many times. Yet, somehow, Sephiroth knew that this gaze didn't belong to Cloud. The rest knew too. His body language was too relaxed, his attitude too arrogant. But in this realization, there was worse news. In order for this complete takeover of Cloud's body, Jenova would need to have an incredible hold on Cloud's soul. Jenova would be in control of everything Cloud did. And this fact would make it that much harder to free him.

Sephiroth stopped about 50 feet from Cloud, and the group stopped behind him.

"Should I cast Wall on Cloud?" Aeris asked quietly.

Sephiroth shook his head. "No. If we can knock him unconscious, that is ideal. But this also means that we can't use blades or sharp weapons. If he's protected with Barrier or Wall, we can't touch him."

Aeris nodded slowly. She didn't want Cloud hurt, but she knew they didn't have a choice. She was silent as Sephiroth stood tall and glared at Cloud coldly.

"Jenova!" he shouted with incredible force. "I know that's you!"

A twisted smile spread across Cloud's features with grim slowness.

"You would say that, wouldn't you Sephiroth? You would turn my friends against me."

"You can't fool us Jenova. You are outnumbered. If you don't surrender Cloud to us immediately, we will be forced to destroy you."

"But I a Cloud," he said quickly. He unlocked his gaze with Sephiroth's eyes and glanced over at Tifa. "Tell him, Tifa. You know it's me. I love you."

Tifa frowned, gazing into his eyes. His game made her shedder and she stepped forward. "I can see the cold in your eyes. You are not Cloud. You are Jenova. And you are soon going to be dead."

Cloud frowned. Jenova knew she couldn't trick them. Sephiroth knew too much and had told them everything. She knew it as she saw Tifa run at her with determination in her eyes.

Cloud scowled and suddenly gripped his sword and brought it up defensively with one hand. A green orb on his sword flared with bright light as he cast Quake 3. The ground began to shake furiously beneath Tifa's feet and she was thrown several yards.

The battle had finally begun.

* * * * * * * * *

Cloud was flooded with relief. They already knew everything. Even Tifa had known. He missed her so much it hurt inside and he found he loved her more than he thought was possible after Aeris had died. He had loved Aeris, and he loved her still, but it was a different kind of love. Aeris would always have his support and friendship, but Tifa had his heart.

And when the ground began to break beneath her as his lips called upon his materia, that heart was wounded too. He suffered as she did when Tifa hi the ground. But he couldn't use his voice to call out her name and he couldn't run to her side to comfort her. He could only watch as Yuffie quickly healed her. The fighting would begin now. He could only pray that they would win.

* * * * * * * * * *

Yuffie was glad shed kept everyone's materia as her Cure2 spell healed Tifa. Tifa got shakily to her feet and stood poised to attack or defend.

Instead she had to leap out of the way as ice shards from an Ice 3 spell shot up from the ground beneath her.

Sephiroth had stepped behind the group, holding his sword in front of him as a sort of shield. Aeris and Yuffie stood nearby to protect him and keep his barriers up. Sephiroth's eyes were closed and his brow was furrowed in deep concentration. The others dashed forward to keep Cloud busy and keep their friends alive.

Sephiroth was their only hope in bringing Cloud back. Focusing his min, he contacted his old powers, his mind feeding off his cursed Jenova cells. Through them, he tried something he had seen Jenova do thousands of times.

He called out to Cloud and prayed he would hear him.

* * * * * * * *

The battle began with incredible force as his friends rushed up to fight him. Clouds felt his arm block and parry their attacks with vicious precision. A punch was blocked, the bard end of Cid's Venus Gospel was knocked away, and Red XIII was cast aside like a small house cat.

Cloud knew exactly why.

It was a diversion. Their attacks were too weak, too unfocused for them to cause any real damage. But why? Why wouldn't they just kill him and stop Jenova?

Then he saw Sephiroth in the back ranks, his sword shielding him, his eyes closed in concentration, Yuffie and Aeris standing nearby to protect him. At first, he thought Sephiroth was preparing a summon spell and that his friends were buying time so he could cast it. He quickly dismissed the thought. Sephiroth's lips weren't moving and his materia orbs were stable. But Cloud didn't understand what he was doing.

Then Cloud heard a muffled sound. He knew immediately, somehow, that it wasn't Jenova and he turned his back on the action and retreated into him mind. He walked back into the inky blackness of the home Jenova had created for his soul and glanced around. He heard the sound again.

Someone was calling his name. The voice was faint and hidden, but he heard it just the name. Cautiously, he called out to the voice.

"Hello?" He called. "Who is it? I hear you."

~Cloud?~ came a quiet reply. ~Focus on my voice and allow me into your mind.~

"What are you talking about?"

~Give yourself over to me now. Give your body over to me!~

"I don't understand! Who are you! Are you trying to trick me, Jenova?! You already have my body!"

~No.~ the voice answered. ~This is Sephiroth.~

* * * * * * * * *

Sephiroth barely noticed as Aeris layered yet another Wall spell over his body. He didn't hear the clashing of weapons as Cid, Red XIII, Vincent, Barret and Tifa each held their own against Cloud's possessed body. All he heard was the faint glimmer of Cloud's voice.

~How am I supposed to give my body to you! I don't even know if I can trust you!~

Your friends trust me, don't they, Sephiroth sent to him. Would you rather be fighting them right now, or me?

He heard Cloud curse. ~I cant! Jenova has me! I can't break through her barrier. Its her damned cells!~

That's exactly it! Sephiroth exclaimed. Those cells are not hers! You are my clone! They are MY cells! I am weaker than she is, but if you give yourself to me, you will belong to me! She won't have power over you!

~Then why don't you just take me yourself!~

I can't force her to give you up unless you cooperate with me!

~I don't know what to do! I don't want to be your slave again!~

I can set you free! But you have to trust me! Let go of all your thoughts of revenge and let loose you're hatred for me! Give yourself to me so I can let you go!

~*GET OUT!!!*~

Sephiroth felt Jenova's power too late. She tore Cloud's consciousness from his grasp and broke his focus. Her mental power sent him sprawling backwards in pain, his mind on fire. In his pain, he was slowly aware of the warmth of a Cure 3 spell seeping over his body.

"Aeris...?" he moaned softly as bright light filled his glowing eyes.

"Are you okay?" Sephiroth nodded, blinking his eyes to focus them. "Does he know?" she asked in a small voice.

Sephiroth nodded again. "He knows what he has to do. It is up to him now." Sephiroth got slowly to his feet and drew up Masamune before running to aid the others against Cloud.

He didn't notice as Aeris blew him a silent kiss and slinked away from the battlefield, a white orb clenched tightly in her fist.

Author's Note: Good enough cliffhanger for you! <Maniacal laugh> ;o) Just kidding. Don't forget to review please!!!! And don't forget those title suggestions!!