Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 29 - No Looking Back ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N : Now, here's a problem. This chapter is the last chapter I have written so far. Then I come to what I like to call, writer's block. I have no idea how I'm going to continue. <sigh> I know the basic idea of what I want to happen, but I don't know how to make it flow. So, if the update after this one takes a long time, you all know why. And yes, it is somewhat hard to find a girl who likes anime/video games around here. It's a sad, sad place I live in. Good thing I found a few that are cool. <winks at Kya>

Chapter 29 - No Looking Back

"So, what's the plan?"

Sephiroth didn't glance down. "What do you mean?"

"What are we going to do when we catch Jenova?"

"Kill her, of course!"

"Huh?" The wind was rushing by with incredible force because of Sephiroth's flying speed.

"WE WILL KILL HER!" Sephiroth shouted against the air.

"We need some sort of plan!" Cloud shouted back.

"I already have one!"

"Feel like letting me in on it?"

"Your job is simple; you have to distract Jenova! I will do the rest!"

"What what would that be?"

"Can't tell you!"

"And why not?!"

"You probably wouldn't approve, but I don't have a choice!"

"What is it!?"

"You'll find out soon enough!"

Cloud frowned in protest, but didn't continue to argue. And when was he going to tell me that I was going to act as bait? Cloud mused to himself.

I figured I'd do it like this, but you insisted on yelling before I had the chance, Cloud heard in his mind in reply. Cloud cursed under his breath.

You just have an answer for everything, don't you? Cloud scoffed.

That is correct.

Cloud sighed. Fine, we'll do it your way.

Cloud swore he heard Sephiroth chuckle. I knew you would say that.

They flew in silence, but it was clear to Cloud that Sephiroth was edgy. His grip on him was strained and tight, and the look on his face made him look almost guilty, like a child who was about to spill a terrible secret.

...Cloud? Sephiroth's voice wavered in Cloud's mind, unsteady and unsure.

Yeah, what's up?

I need to tell you why you have to distract Jenova for me.

Is there something wrong?

Kind of. Let me explain. You see, I wasn't planning on having to transform into this form, Cloud. I haven't needed to since our encounter in the Northern Crater.

So, what's the problem?

Sephiroth hesitated slightly before he continued. This is the power of the Jenova cells inside me. They transform me, making me faster, more agile, and stronger. But for me, these attributes come at a tremendous risk. In order to transform, I was required to reawaken the Jenova cells in my body and break the shield's the Cetra put on them.

Cloud swallowed hard. But, then... Jenova could...

Yes. Jenova has access to me now. I'm hoping she won't realize this before I have completed my plan. But if she does, she will surely attempt to control me. However, if you make her focus her attention on you, she won't be able to.

Cloud nodded. Okay, I understand.

Now this is most important. If she does take control of me, do not hesitate to destroy me. Don't waste time trying to snap me out of it.

What!? Why!?

If she gains control of my mind, she will be able to get to yours as well through me. Then all will be lost. Please, promise me.

I promise, Sephiroth. But I also promise that it won't come to that.

Satisfied, Sephiroth smiled as he focused on increasing his speed. Thank you.

They were quickly gaining on Jenova. It wouldn't be long before the battle begun.

And, for the first time in his life, Sephiroth was nervous for a battle.

* * * * * * * * * *

Oh, Sephiroth...

Aeris tried to hide the pain, but a tear betrayed her as it slid silently down her cheek. Tifa wasn't much better off. She was incredibly worried about Cloud. He'd just been freed of Jenova, and he was already off to fight her at Sephiroth's side.

What an odd turn of events.

Cid and Yuffie stood with their mouths wide open in disbelief.

"What the hell was that?!" Barret shouted.

Red XIII flicked his tail thoughtfully. "Sephiroth. I wonder why he has put himself in danger this way."

"Why is Cloud so quick to trust him!?" Tifa asked. "He hadn't even spoken to him since the last incident in Nibelheim.

Aeris shook her head. "No, you're wrong. Sephiroth spoke to Cloud while he was trapped inside his mind."

"How could he do that?" Yuffie asked.

"Cloud does not belong to Jenova. He belongs to Sephiroth," Aeris explained.

"It's the cells, isn't it," Vincent said.

Aeris nodded.

"Cloud doesn't belong to anyone," Tifa protested.

"That's not what I meant Tifa. HE does not deserve to be a slave, but on a cellular level, Sephiroth could 'own' Cloud. But Sephiroth wouldn't do that to him. Not now."

"But he was in that fucking crazy angel form!" Cid shouted. "The last time he did that he nearly killed us all! What the hell does that mean!"

Aeris wanted to cry. "He transformed into it. He has gained control of that ability." She stopped there. She didn't dare tell them that Jenova could use him again.

Please, Sephiroth. You better come back to me...

Author's Note: Once again, I'm sorry this took so long. The next chapters will take time, as they are not written yet (not even on paper). Please be patient with me, I really love it when you R&R! Don't give up on me! I will finish this story if it kills me. <grin> Til then.....