Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 30 - Calamity from the Sky ( Chapter 30 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Could it be true?! An update!? No waaaaaaaay!!! LOL :oP I know I know.....I think my writer's block may have passed me by. Let's find out shall we?

Chapter 30 - Calamity from the Sky

Wind.

Oh, how it stung.

Cloud squinted against the air that seemed to scald his skin. Fortunately, it was easy to block out a simple pain such as this.

After all, he'd felt much worse.

He also had much more important things to think about.

Jenova.

He had never wanted revenge so badly in his life. He had once held a grudge that he had thought was the only point of his existence. He knew now real hate. It burned in the pit of his stomach like a Fire3 spell, churning, waiting to explode. His old grudge had scattered to the winds, for his old rival now gripped him tightly, with such determination on his face it frightened him.

He would hate to be on the other side of that stare.

Cloud looked ahead of him. She was close, almost within reach. He would cut her asunder, he promised.

He would have his revenge.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Fear.

Oh, how it stung.

Sephiroth felt as if he had a tight clamp around his heart and lungs. Never before had he felt fear like this. The fear that he would lose.

Of course, until now, he'd never had anything to lose.

Now that he truly cared for this planet, and the people on it, he couldn't bear the thought that he might fail.

And yet, he flew onward, against the wind that blew his silver hair along his black cape.

Sephiroth glanced down at his sword hilt, catching a brief glimpse of the materia orbs that glinted in their slots. Five green, one blood red.

My secret weapon.

Beads of sweat formed on his forehead, but they were quickly dissipated by the air, like a brief memory. Good thing.

He would never let Jenova see his fear. He would die first. He would disgrace her, destroy her, incinerate her.

He would have his revenge.

* * * * * * * * * *

Cloud looked up ahead, noticing the valley that was beginning to spread out below them. The flat land below traveled across the ground like a river. Then he sensed it.

~She's there...~

Sephiroth nodded. ~This is it. Are you ready?~

Cloud swallowed hard, took a deep breath, and nodded. ~Ready as I'll ever be.~

Cloud felt Sephiroth's hard sigh, one saturated with the other warrior's fear and nervousness before his stomach jumped up into his throat. They were plummeting, head first, into the gorge. As the ground rose up to meet them, Cloud shut his eyes.

He could not lose his concentration.

It could cost them everything.

Despite the severity of their descent, the landing was soft and light, like a robin's. Sephiroth set Cloud down on the ground, beating his large wings slowly to keep himself airborne. Sephiroth didn't have to lead him. They could both sense exactly where Jenova was.

Simultaneously, Sephiroth and Cloud turned around to stare deep into Jenova's blood red stare.

"Ah, good to see you, my children," Jenova hissed. "You have both been very bad boys. I think I need to teach you a lesson."

Sephiroth murmured a quick Wall spell as a green orb flared on Masamune's hilt. Their bodies began to shimmer in rainbow colors, signifying that the spell was in place, just as Jenova flung out a long tentacle at Cloud. It bounced of the spell, but the force of her tentacle against the barrier sent Cloud back a few feet, but he managed to stay standing.

~Go, Cloud! Now!~

Cloud didn't answer; he simply obeyed. With a shriek of rage, he charged her, his weapon held high. He would let Sephiroth finish his plan, no matter what.

Sephiroth muttered a few short words, and his red materia orb sprang to life. It burned viciously, signaling its activation. Sephiroth continued his concentration, his eyes closed, Masamune held in front of him for protection. It was up to Cloud to keep him safe.

Cloud vicious onslaught of attacks sent Jenova reeling backward, trying to defend herself. She flew higher into the air, and sent her tentacles flying at him, a single long claw branching from each of them. They struck Cloud's barrier, filling the air with the sound similar to that of metal against glass. She sent them back at him, again and again, and Cloud tried to block them with his sword. However, a few struck home, and as a fourth tentacle struck his Wall spell, it shattered around him, filling the air with rainbow dust. The tentacle that broke through the spell pierced his shoulder and withdrew. Blood flowed freely from the wound as Cloud yelled out his pain. He clenched his teeth, attempting to keep control of his emotions, fighting to keep his concentration. As Jenova laughed above him, he threw himself into the offensive, launching several ice spells, watching as the cold shards pierced her deformed, fleshy body. He grinned at her painful scream, but prepared himself for her next attack.

Sweat flowed down the sides of Sephiroth face, his features strained by effort. Just a little longer, he thought.

Then it happened. Bright light sparked suddenly in the sky, contrasting the setting sun. A small orb in the sky burned with fiery intensity. Sephiroth continued his chanting, speaking louder, enhancing his concentration. The orb burned brighter and Jenova stopped her assault to glance over at the disturbance. Cloud took this change to attack her with a bolt spell that sent her plummeting to the ground. Jenova looked up at the object in horror before she scanned the area, finally remembering Sephiroth. She saw him, his mouth moving, and she scowled. Then, her frown began to change into a sinister grin.

"You thought you could fool me! I gave you this power! I can take it back!" she screamed.

She tugged at Sephiroth's mind, cautiously at first, then began a full-scaled attack on Sephiroth's mind.

Sephiroth cringed in pain. ~Cloud! Help me! I mustn't lose control now!!~

Jenova laughed hideously. "You can't win! I will kill you all! I will-"

Her voice was cut off suddenly, her red eyes suddenly wide with shock. And Cloud stood above her. His sword was buried deep in Jenova's backside. Cloud grabbed the hilt with both hands, twisting the blade inside her body before withdrawing it.

Jenova screamed her pain, releasing Sephiroth from her mental attack. In her torture, she looked to the sky again, at the orb that burned ever so brightly. Then Sephiroth's voice filled her ears.

"SUPERNOVA!"

Jenova screamed in terror, but there was no escape. The flaming meteor was now locked on her position.

~Cloud! Come here now!~

Cloud ran to Sephiroth's side, who quickly grabbed him and took to the skies, the blue aura of his own Cure spell surrounding them. The wind whipped past them even quicker than before, for they flew in panic.

The explosion was deafening. Sephiroth's Supernova spell slammed into Jenova, ripping her apart, incinerating her cells one by one. All that was left of her when it was done, was a hole in the ground, and a horrible memory of her piercing scream.

Jenova was no more.

The threat was finally over.

If only someone had been able to witness the two heroes who flew away from the battle in silence, smiles and tears of relief on their faces.

A/N: Was that okay? I hope so.....battle scenes are definitely not my forte. The story is almost over! R&R please!!!!!