Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII ❯ Chapter 15 On the Run ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Final Fantasy VII
a fan fic by LIndsey Huff






Chapter XV: On the Run


Sometime later, Cloud snapped awake. They were still moving, so they were still in the car. He guessed that he had eventually fallen asleep at some point. He looked to his left, Aeris was sleeping silently on his shoulder. Next to Aeris was Yuffie's own slanted body. She too was asleep, except she was lying in the opposite direction. Vincent sat next to her, his head was proped up on his hand and his eyes were to the scenery around them. Cloud looked ahead of him, Rude was no longer driving the car. Reno sat in his spot, with Tifa beside him. Tifa was leaning against Reno's right shoulder, asleep. Next to her sat Cid, his head was back against the seat, his mouth open, and he was snoring.
"Reno?" Cloud questioned.
"Yeah, I know what you're thinking, and to answer your question, I stole it," Reno said to Cloud looking at him in the mirror.
"What happened to Rude then?" he asked.
"I knocked em out when he went to drop us off. Yeah, he's an old friend of mine, but I have ta live," Reno answered.
Cloud didn't say anything he just looked out at the passing scenery. Vincent moved his head and looked over at Reno, then at Cloud. He looked as if he had somethng to say but didn't say anything. Yuffie stirred when Vincent had moved. She lifted her head and looked around dizzily, dazed and still half asleep. Then she rubbed her eyes.
"Hey...where are we?" she asked yawning and then put her head on Vincent's shoulder. "Oooh, Vincent you make a good pillow."
"Don't know," Reno admited from the driver's seat.
Yuffie raised her head again to Reno's answer. "What do you mean you don't know?!" she exclaimed.
"I mean....I don't know," he said and then stopped the car suddenly.
Cloud looked at him. "What are you doing?" he asked.
"Takin a rest stop, I'm tired and I'm not sleeping in this car," Reno said.
Reno had stopped the car near a field. The only thing in front of them was a road, a road that seemed to go on for miles without any cities. They were in the middle of nowhere. Reno opened the car door and stepped out carefully, avoiding hurting his left arm and trying not to wake Tifa. Tifa awoke any ways as soon as she felt the warmth of Reno's body leave her. She sat up and looked at him.
"Where are you going?" she asked him.
"To get some sleep," he said over his shoulder.
She hesitated looking around her, scanning the horizon before getting out of the car and following him. The next one to jump out of the car was Yuffie. She jumped out of the back seat and onto the trunk door, then jumped to the ground. Vincent calmly opened the door and got out of the back seat. He went his own way instead of following Yuffie or Reno. Cloud turned to Aeris and shook her lightly. She awoke and looked at him a little dazed from sleep.
"Come on," Cloud becokened and she got out and followed him.
They all laid in the feild, staring up at the sky, all of them except Cid who was still snoring in the front seat of the car. Vincent laid the furthest away from everyone, with his hands over his chest, as if he were dead. His eyes were closed and his breathing was slow, so he was really asleep that way. Yuffie laid on her stomach near Vincent with her legs overlapping one another and her arms under her head. Cloud and Aeris laid together, with Aeris resting her head on Cloud's chest. He put an arm around her waist and had the other arm behind his head. Tifa had her knees pulled up to he chest, she was staring at the sky. Reno laid back with his right hand behind his head, the other arm was still in the blue sling.
"Are you asleep yet Reno?" Tifa asked still looking towards the sky.
"I'm not now," he replied opening his eyes.
"You know.....I haven't checked that shoulder of your's in a while," she said.
Reno sat up. "Have at it," he said waiting for her.
Tifa crawled over to him on all fours. She sat beside him and touched the shoulder, expecting to feel the bone inside fractured. There was no fracture, the only thing she felt was the bandage she had put on his puncture wound from Sephiroth.
"That's odd," she said feeling his shoulder again.
"What?" Reno questioned.
"Your fracture is gone. It's like Sephiroth healed you, but also hurt you," she replied.
"What?" he repeated.
"You can take off the sling," Tifa said unstrapping it from the back.
Reno helped her pull off the sling. He could bend his arm at the elbow but it hurt to move his shoulder too much. The puncture wound was still fresh and deep. He didn't want to risk ripping it open. Now all he had was a white cast on his left arm and the hidden bandages on his shoulder. He laid back putting both hands behind his head.
"Are we......together Reno?" Tifa asked suddenly.
"What?" he asked shocked looking over at her surprised.
"You know.....a couple....like...Aeris and Cloud....?" she said akwardly.
Reno put his hand on his chin as if to be in deep thought, finally he sighed and replaced it behind his head. "I guess so," he said nonchantly and then closed his eyes.
Tifa smiled to herself, feeling her face turn red. Then she laid her head gently upon Reno's chest, just like Aeris. Reno opened one eye when he felt the pressure of her head lying on him. He put his hand on her shoulder and gently stroked her hair as he closed his eye. Then eventually they fell asleep.
Early the next morning Reno heard noises. He opened his eyes to see Vincent standing. Vincent's flaming orange eyes were on the road in the direction they had come from. Reno gently slipped out from under Tifa without waking her and went to stand next to Reno. Something about his stillness disturbed him. Vincent didn't move for the longest time, he almost seemed unreal by how still he was. Finally he turned his head to Reno.
"Someone approaches from the way we came," he said in a low voice.
"What how do you know?" Reno asked listening, he didn't hear anything.
"I am scientifically altered, my senses are better than your's," Vincent said shaking his head. "We must take leave, now or they will be on us by mid noon."