Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy X - This is Our Story ❯ Shallow Waters of Besaid ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
“Free me, pray to the faith in the face of the light. Feed me, fill me with sin, and get ready to fight.”

“Shana...”

“Hope dies, and you wonder...the other world, it makes you. Dreams, they rip asunder. The other world hates you.”

“Shana... Oh, for Yevon’s sake,” The person speaking sighed heavily, growing more annoyed at each passing moment. “Wake up, you lazy bum!”

With a sharp kick, and a loud cry, the deed was accomplished. Shana Lunette, fledgling summoner, was awake and out of bed. The young boy rubbed his sore, banged up head, while his eyes slowly adjusted to the light of morning. The newborn morning’s first rays shone through the cracks in his bamboo blinds, filling the small bedroom with broken rays of light.

Stumbling clumsily to his feet, the boy smoothed out his white shirt and loose bed-pants. “Do you always have to be so...” He began, but was cut short as the intruder interrupted.

“Wonderful? Sexy? ...Yes. Yes, I do.”

Briruru Anne Darcly, dancer and mistress of the black arts, smirked up at the slightly taller pilgrim, their clothes reflecting the telltale differences in their personalities. While Shana’s clothes were light and tried not to be too flashy, his companion’s garb was just the opposite. Dressed in black from top to toe, with a barely legal parted skirt, her bosom was lifted by the combined efforts of a tight top and bra; she was dressed to be dark, mysterious, and alluring. Her short hair, going through all the shades of darkness there was, fell haphazardly around her face, framing it exotically with just the flair of beauty she needed.

“I was going to say extreme, but tomato, tomahto,” The apprentice summoner said, walking over to his small wooden table at the corner of his hut. Reaching up to the silken rope that ran through his shack, he pulled off a pair of black leggings and his white temple robe, which was tented with red along the edges. Throwing the entire outfit together as quickly as possible, he inspected his appearance one last time in the dusty mirror on his wood table, thumping at the tips of his long soft chestnut locks. “Okay. I’m...ready,” the boy stated wearily, waltzing over to the fur-pelt covered exit of his small home. “Coming, Bri?”

The black mage’s face lit up, her purple painted lips tugging upwards in a smile. “Right behind you! Wait; let’s drop by my hut really quick. I have to pick up Juliet.”

--------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

“Oh my!”

Several worried whispers flew amongst the small crowd gathering at the village gate. Hushed voices were all murmuring things along the lines of ‘Is he alright?’ ‘Should we alert the temple?’ ‘Who is he?’ The crowd was edgy in anticipation around a central point, an outsider.

At the entrance, beside one of the towering purple spires serving as fence posts, lay an injured man curled into a small ball against the pain of his wounds. His wavy chocolate mane was disheveled and dirtied from hard travel, and he had an injury on his shoulder from which blood flowed, staining his garments crimson.

A hairless, dark-skinned man in the crowd went to the young man’s side, resting a hand on the boy’s uninjured shoulder. “Are you alright,” he asked, checking the man’s pulse in his wrist before attempting to lift his arm over his shoulder. Blood soon stained the balding elder’s green robes, turning the fibers a purplish, sickly shade.

“Y-yes, we were-were attacked by Sin...I was sent here from The Crusaders...Your temple asked for a Guardian...” The young man groaned, wincing as another robed man came to his aid, lifting his arm onto his shoulder as well. The two men helped him into the village, carrying him towards the Crusader’s hut.

Meanwhile, while the young Crusader was being dragged to the vivaciously colored shack called home by the village Crusaders, the apprentice summoner, Shana, and his mage companion were just exiting her hut, across from the Crusaders’.

“I swear, Bri, that doll is so... Eerie… It’s frightening.” Shana said, shuddering as he looked down at Briruru’s weapon of choice - a gothic marionette named Juliet. The tiny puppet’s head turned towards the white robed boy, her constantly smiling face appearing more evil than usual. Shana shivered again, turning away from the doll.

And that was when he saw the man being dragged away. “Bri, look!” He cried, slapping at the girl’s naked shoulder. She placed her hand on her hip, tightening her hold on Juliet as the doll, too, turned to look at him like her mistress.

“And?”

Shana stared at his friend for a few moments incredulously, then at the doll. Then to Briruru, and again to the doll. He finally gave up on trying to make sense of either of them, shaking his head dumb-founded, and began walking towards the wounded man. Bri, or perhaps it was the unnatural little doll, giggled girlishly before the black-clad woman ran after her cleric friend.

“Father! What has happened?” Shana asked once he reached the group, referring to the elderly man helping the wounded youth. He knelt down till he was at knee level with the man, checking his knees for injury before scanning the rest of him for harm. ‘He’s… Kinda cute...’

“This man,” The elder began, dropping the boy’s arm to allow the younger men to take him inside, “Is the guardian we asked the Crusaders for. He claims his ship was attacked by Sin...” The dark man said grimly, the lines around his old eyes crinkling as his expression turned into an expression of age and sadness.

Shana immediately walked into the hut, no less than two steps behind the wounded man until he was laid down in one of the vacant beds. The younger boy looked at the elder, then down at the injured Crusader. That was when he noticed the man’s handsomely tanned skin, and the stubble growing around his chin and upper lip. ‘There’s no doubt about it. He’s definitely cute.’

Moving his hands around, holding them aloft before moving into a semi-bow, then cupping them in front of him, forming a circle, the cleric chanted a healing spell. An air of magic circulated through the room, before the young man pushed his hands forward. “Light shine strong, all woe begone!” He prayed, focusing on the toxins flowing through the man. Whenever someone encountered Sin, the dark aura of the beast left a dangerous poison in his or her veins. This spell, Esuna, could remedy that somewhat.

A shaft of light the shade of violets and amethyst radiated around the bed, while a current of shimmering blue magic slowly flowed upward from the man’s body. Esuna had taken effect. Though the toxin would still rob some of the man’s memory, it was no longer fatal. Focusing once more, the apprentice summoner conjured up another healing spell. An aura of pale blue light enveloped the young man, closing up the bleeding gash in his shoulder.

“Yay. You played healer-boy. Now c’mon, we’re late!” Briruru chided, stepping behind the cleric. Tugging him to his feet, and toward the door, she waved goodbye to the elder and the other man who had helped drag the Crusader into the hut.

“Bah. A woman like that is no good for this village,” the elder cursed under his breath, glaring at the entrance to the large shack as the black mage left. The other man snickered, grinning up a storm at the older man.

“Conflict with your daughter, Father?”

--------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

I would like to think our lovely beta, Amie AKA Sisi. Without her knowing eye and experience, I think this fic would be horribly errored and bland. Plus, she keeps me sane when my ideas and muses are chaaaattering away, and doesn't strangle me when my Gemini side takes over and makes me abandon my projects. XD
Converting /tmp/phpRL5N1G to /dev/stdout