Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Glass Tower ❯ Psychotic ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

# 12 Psychotic
[word count: 342]
“This is completely unnecessary,” Rufus glared at the little man on the other side of the desk. He felt utterly humiliated seated in a chair with his wrists cuffed and folded awkwardly in his lap. Tseng was standing near the door to the therapist's office to ensure Rufus's marginal cooperation.
 
“Well, your father thinks differently and quite frankly, I agree,” The balding, middle-aged man told Rufus softly. He was the psychologist on Shinra's payroll, though Rufus couldn't recall his name. Turks had to attend once-yearly psychological evaluations and members of SOLDIER had to even more frequently. “Surely you can't think your actions were a normal reaction to your frustrations.”
 
“I'm not normal, now am I?” Rufus snapped. “I can't have a regular life because of my father and the legacy appointed to me. Why should I be held by the normal rules of society? My father certainly isn't.”
 
The therapist actually smiled, “I think we're finally getting somewhere. Do you know I think this has been nothing more than a cry for attention from a negligent father figure? You want your father to be there for you more often during such a turbulent and emotional period of your life. Isn't that right, Rufus?”
 
“No,” Rufus replied stubbornly, “I wanted my father out of the way so that I could have the company. I was tired of watching him run it into the ground.”
 
“Really? What do you possibly think you could have done better? Do you realize that your father accomplished something amazing in building Shinra up in a single lifetime?”
 
“I'm aware,” Rufus conceded softly.
 
“Then how can you claim that he doesn't know what he's doing?”
 
“He hired you, didn't he?”
 
“I hardly think that petty insults will solve anything.”
 
Rufus smirked triumphantly, “And yet Sephiroth went mad. How did you miss that one, good doctor?”
 
When the man's expression became hard and blank and the blood drained from his face, Rufus knew that he'd gotten under his skin. It made him feel vindicated and strong despite his current position.