Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of a Dragoon ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter One

The sun blazed brightly over the castle's courtyard, but the young man ignored the glare as he parried each of his opponent's blows with the haft of the spear he carried, then knocked his feet out from under him. Before he could raise the spear for the killing stroke, another man came at him from behind, grinning. Inside his heavy plate armor, the young man's turn was not quite so swift as it had been, but he managed to reverse the spear to strike the man's exposed chest. "Pity," the man muttered as he dropped to the ground.
Inside the helmet, the young man grinned, but didn't waste a second as two more soldiers hurtled at him from his left side. Leaping straight up into the air, he readied his spear for a downward stabbing blow, which he executed just as he landed behind the two. Once they'd fallen, however, several more surrounded him on every side.
Standing just outside the ropes designating the edge of the practice field, Baigan nodded in approval as he watched Kain dispatch everyone else in the melee. "Very impressive," the older man noted. Though the praise from the Captain pleased Kain, he could not spare a second to thank him, for the "wounded" soldier he'd knocked off his feet earlier was getting up. Kain caught the motion out of the corner of his eye and whirled, planting the padded point of his practice spear firmly in the center of the man's chest. The man grumbled, but fell, acknowledging the fatal blow.
Beneath the armor, Kain was sweating profusely, and grateful that the plate armor didn't show how heavily he was breathing as he drew himself up straight and turned to Baigan, only to see someone else standing behind the ropes near the Captain, having just arrived. As hard as his heart had been pounding from the exertion, it beat a bit faster at the sight of her, and he fought the urge to smile. He was late for a certain appointment, and she'd apparently been sent to look for him. Soon enough, he said to himself. This is more important. And she's here to share in it...
"You've grown far stronger over the past year," Baigan continued, barely acknowledging the girl's presence. "And you're quite well-practiced with that spear... You strike as swiftly as an attacking dragon. Even in plate mail."
Kain noted the sly look in the man's eyes, and couldn't help it as a slight smile came across his lips. He knew what Baigan was really saying. "Then...?"
"I'll speak with the king about it," Baigan replied. "You understand, Kain, this is a highly unusual time for the kingdom, and your request is even more unusual. After seeing such a display, however, I can't very well ignore it."
Kain managed to nod calmly, though inside, he thought his heart might explode with joy. "I thank you for even considering it."
As the men Kain had dispatched began rising to leave, Baigan made his way through the crowd to speak with him. "I must say, I had my doubts about this," the Captain admitted. "Even in wartime, we've never allowed anyone younger than sixteen to fight with the Dragoons. In all honesty, we probably wouldn't consider it now if we weren't at war now. It's not that you're not a talented fighter - anyone present today wouldn't dare to say otherwise - it's about protocol. What matters is whether or not you've grown enough to truly act the part of a Dragoon. They are Baron's elite fighting force, and we cannot take the slightest risk of one of their number acting irresponsibly."
"I know." He could barely bite back the words he wanted to speak - I would never disgrace my father in such a way - but he knew they would sound like a childish boast. Not for the first time, he wondered if it was. Certainly he was no better a man than anyone else in Baron's military, and even his best friend often bested him in single combat.
Baigan nodded again, pleased. "Well then, I have other matters to attend to. His majesty and I will be reviewing our troops five days from now, and if there is some extra time, I will try to bring it up. If there is not, well, a time will come." Baigan smiled wryly. "Certainly before the war is over. Don't worry, Kain - there will still be plenty of Eblan's blood to shed."
"And I'll be honored to shed it for the Dragoons, Sir."
Baigan chuckled. "So solemn, Kain! Others your age would be jumping up and down with excitement at this prospect! Your friend there looks like she's about to."
Kain glanced over at her; she did. She'd heard enough of Baigan's words to know his hopes were about to be realized, and she was grinning widely, clasping her hands together in excitement. Kain couldn't stay completely stoic, seeing her so overjoyed, and he grinned back at her.
"Go on," Baigan urged, smiling at him. "You just may be a Dragoon before long, so enjoy the last few days of your childhood. You're dismissed, Highwind."
Rosa waited until Baigan had vanished, then ran to Kain's side, long blond hair flying behind her. "I can't believe it!" she exclaimed. "Kain, I'm so happy for you!"
"You can't believe it?" he teased her, removing his helmet. He could feel his hair was damp with sweat, and he shook his head in the welcome breeze. "Didn't you have any faith in me?"
She saw right through his teasing. "Well, not faith so much as good wishes," she said innocently.
"And against all odds, I've done it, right? Or as good as done it, anyway," he amended. "Well? Aren't you going to give me a congratulatory hug?"
She laughed. "Has your brain boiled inside that helmet? Why would I? Usually if I even try it, you flinch! I've never heard you say such a thing in your entire life."
"I've never been this happy in my entire life," he declared. True, a part of him recognized he'd never have mentioned any sign of affection in her presence without blushing, had Baigan's words not thrilled him to his soul, to the point he felt anything could happen and it would be all right. "So... What do you say?"
She feigned indecision. "Oh, I'd rather not. With that armor on, I'd feel as if I were embracing a pillar; and with it off, you're all sweaty."
"Hah!" Before she could protest, Kain put his arms around her and lifted her off her feet, spinning her as they laughed together. "That's right - and I'm going to be a sweaty Dragoon."