Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Heart of a Dragoon ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Nine

Kain stood there for a few minutes, staring down at the fallen bodies of his enemies, utterly elated. He'd done it. His first real battle, alone against multiple trained assassins, and he'd won. Every move they had, he evaded. Every tactic they employed, he outstrategized. The excitement of genuine mortal battle had thrilled him, and the victory even more so.
The thrill couldn't last forever, though, and as it faded, a burst of pain in his side made him double over. He'd completely forgotten he'd been wounded, and looked down to see blood soaking through his shirt. It was only a moderate wound, but he needed to get back to the castle immediately for healing.
As he wrenched his spear free from its place in the magic-user's shoulder, a gust of wind made him shiver. His cloak had been nearly shredded when he'd used it to catch the sword, and was of little use now, except for cleaning the blood off his spear. After doing so, he tied the torn cloth around a low branch, a flag to mark the spot for those who would come later to confirm his kill.
He had to take something back as evidence, though. The ninjas' swords and sheaths would do nicely, he decided; it might have been possible to steal the swords somehow without killing them, but it was unlikely he could have stolen the sheaths too. That should be proof enough.
The walk back to town seemed to be substantially longer than his journey into the forest, and Kain felt himself weakening. He'd only gotten an hour of sleep before he'd been awakened by the south patrol's return, and now the cold wind was chilling him, making his teeth chatter. His blood had thoroughly soaked his shirt now, and he was beginning to feel light-headed.
The fatigue, blood loss, and exposure were so severe that they suddenly made him want to lie down and let death claim him. His task was complete, he thought through a haze of pain and weariness. What more did he have to live for? Rosa's father had been avenged...
The thought of her suddenly made the weariness seem small and petty. He was returning to Rosa, and she would thank him... she would love him. All this pain, and more besides, would be worth it when she kissed him. Kain kept walking.
After what seemed like hours, he stumbled out of the woods, holding the four swords in his left hand and clutching the wound in his side with the right. He could see the buildings of the town now, and Castle Baron's towers jutting into the sky just beyond.
As he approached the town, a man wearing the uniform of the town guard rushed forward to aid him, offering an arm to lean on as he made his way to the castle for healing, but Kain shook his head. "You go first," he told the man. "Tell them the south patrol has been avenged."
The man's eyes widened as they fell on the swords Kain carried. "You mean...? You...?"
"Yes, but I have something more I must do." Kain pushed the guard away from him roughly. "Go!"
Fortunately, the guard did as he was told. Kain was growing more disoriented from the blood loss, and wasn't sure how much longer he could stay upright, but he was determined to see Rosa immediately. And he certainly wouldn't do so while leaning on the arm of a guard for support.
The few people outside their homes gaped at the sight of the wounded young man, but he ignored them, focusing on his destination. When he reached Rosa's house, he didn't bother knocking, and just pushed the door open. "Rosa!" he called, his voice harsh from the pain. "I did it, Rosa. They're dead!"
He waited, eyes closed in exhaustion, for the sound of her footsteps, for her sweet voice, but heard nothing. "Rosa?" he called again. And again, there was only silence.
He steadied himself on the doorknob, trying to get his hazy thoughts together enough to think it through. She had been with Cecil earlier, so they must have gone somewhere together. Probably to that spot by the stream that she loved so much. Kain closed the door, and noticed as he did so that he'd gotten blood on the handle. Rosa's mother wouldn't be pleased, but he was beginning to see spots. He had to find Rosa before he lost consciousness altogether - and once they knew what he'd done, Rosa and her mother would likely forgive him.
Why did Cecil have to be with her, he thought bitterly as he staggered along the footpath to the bushes by the stream. Rosa would love him now, it was going to be the best moment of his life, but Cecil would be there. Cecil would be watching as they embraced for the first time, kissed for the first time... Cecil had already won nearly everything else Kain wanted - couldn't Kain have one fine moment that was his alone?
Just as he'd expected, he saw two black boots and a pair of soft leather slippers where two people were sitting among the bushes. Sitting very close together, he noted, but no matter. Soon, she would be his... as soon as he made his way around the bushes to tell her...
What he saw when he got there surprised him so that he couldn't even think, much less speak.
Her long pale hair curled around the black-sleeved arms holding her tightly, and blended into his silver hair. She had her arms around his neck, and her eyes were closed as she leaned into his kiss.
This can't be happening. I killed those men... it was me. Not him.
Though Kain, lost in his own dazed thoughts, barely noticed that he'd dropped the ninjas' swords, the sudden noise startled the two in the bushes, and they turned to look. "Kain!" Rosa exclaimed, still holding Cecil.
Cecil simply stared at him in amazement. "You did it?" he asked incredulously. "That's... unbelievable!"
"Oh, you're wounded!" Rosa cried, letting go of Cecil and rising to meet him. "And you did it for my Papa..."
Kain still couldn't speak. After all he'd gone through for her sake, to come home and see this... His vision blurred, and he gave into his fatigue and weakness. As he fell to the ground, he could hear Rosa's cry of concern, and dimly saw Cecil rushing to catch him. He ignored them, and simply accepted the oblivion gratefully.