Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ JOURNEY ❯ Problems ( Chapter 11 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Part Eleven: Problems

There was no denying it: Freya had the blues.

Maybe it was the location, or the atmosphere. The dragoon was stuck by herself on a stool in the Alexandrian tavern, where Zidane had once drowned his sorrows a few years back after Garnet was crowned Queen. The place was just as smoky, depressing, and groggy as ever. It made Freya feel like doing nothing else except shutting her eyes, resting her head on the counter, and groaning away the rest of her life with a headache and a world of troubles. There was a bit of misery in her lazy grasp, as she tipped the shot of wine down her throat, and the slow, soulful music being played off in the corner didn't help things at all.

Maybe it was the fact that she felt like she had just lost a friend so close to her that she considered her a sister. Freya's original family had died before she turned five years old, including most of her then-siblings. She had been taken in by a loving aunt and uncle, and had a few cousins to play around with, but she had never felt the connection with another person so powerfully as she felt with Beatrix. Freya honestly considered the woman part of her family by now, and although she knew in her heart that Beatrix could take care of herself, she still couldn't help but worry.

The woman had been missing for almost a month now. Three hectic weeks had gone by, with celebration and recovery and mourning and the gathering of heroes and loved ones. But one loved one was still unaccounted for, even though by that time, every other soldier had returned home, even a few that had been thought dead. So of course, Freya had good reason to worry about her friend. Beatrix was her elder, and just a bit more skilled than she (Freya had no problems admitting that), but she was still human--and she could still be chased by the Reaper.

"Hey," said a voice. Freya looked up from her half-empty glass of wine and saw the keeper staring at her. "You don't look so well. Are you gonna be okay?"

"…No," she said softly, "not really. But I sure will try…"

The time--Three weeks after the end of the campaign against Iudicium.

The place--A smoky bar stuck in the middle of Alexandria City.

The players--Freya Crescent, close friend of Beatrix, who is still missing.

The status--Concern

Adelbert Steiner decided to take a well-earned rest from his duties, not that there really was that much to do anymore. Once the kingdom settled down into a badly-needed era of peace… again… the armored knight suddenly found himself with lots of free time on his hands. Steiner had adjusted himself to enjoy these peaceful times, unlike some other soldiers who would become jittery with nothing to do. The absence of war would not kill him, nor even slow him down--no, it would take the absence of Gysahl pickles and piece'a to do that.

Seriously, though, Steiner wanted to enjoy the day. He did not need to be forced away from his duties; he was more than happy to shirk them for awhile. Even the most dedicated knight or servant needed a break, and this one was slightly overdue. Besides, in such a peaceful time as this, who would want to attack the castle? Thus far, all the enemies of Alexandria had been accounted for, and with the kingdom prospering again, more and more allies were joining forces with her.

Without his duties, Steiner seemed a happier and more tolerant person, but he needed to lose his armor in order to improve his physical appearance. It had begun to rust over again from so much use, and that now-famous squeaking sound it made whenever he walked in it had returned, though not quite to its full noisy glory just yet. He could still stand out in a crowd, but at least people began respecting him and his Pluto Knights. With the air of the kingdom in his nostrils for but a few minutes, he clank-clank-clanked his way to the tavern, and stepped in for a drink.

"Ah, a fine day it is out there!" he exclaimed. There was not much of a populace to greet him in return, so he merely walked up to the counter and sat next to Freya.

"Steiner," she addressed with a nod. "You seem to be in a reasonably good mood."

"I have good reason for it!" he exclaimed before ordering his drink. "I for one am a supporter of peace! I enjoy this time of rest and rebuilding, but what man--or woman--could not? We have just endured the bleakest winter of chaos and despair that any kingdom could boast, and though the storms were tough and the weather was unforgiving, we all persevered. And now spring is here, to delight us with its warmth and spread new life over the land!"

"It's bloody cold outside," she snorted. "In case you haven't noticed, it's almost wintertime out here."

"It's a symbolic springtime," he stated. "I know that winter approaches us. I was speaking figuratively. Can I not have such deep thoughts every once in awhile? Come, come now, Freya, I am not as big of an ox as most people say! …At least… not all the time…" She mumbled, and slowly swung her head around in a drunken daze.

"Sorry. I'm just worried, that's all."

"About Lady Beatrix?" She nodded her head. "Hm, yes, I see. You two have been drawing very close over the past year or two. It does indeed wonder me that the two of you were once bitter enemies. And now you can barely stand to be apart from each other! Why, if I was as lecherous as His Highness used to be, I would consider you two…… Well, I shan't insult you with my thoughts." Freya silently stared at him, trying to put a smile on her face but failing in every way. She sighed, and finished her wine just as Steiner received his own cup.

"I do love her," she said quietly, "I'll admit that. The woman's like my sister. I would lose my hair if I found out something awful had happened to her, and considering me, I have a lot of hair to lose."

"Indeed," he muttered with a cough. He turned his head, smiled, and patted her shoulder gently. "My good lady… do you not think that I worry about her as well? At the very least, the Lady Beatrix and I are good comrades-in-arms, though I sourly admit we did not always see eye-to-eye in the past. Over the years, I too have learned to cherish her and to respect her, and to see her as part of my own life. At first, I felt apathetic towards her, but once I got to know her, I became as a sort of mentor to her.

"And then came the time where her skills began exceeding my own," he said with some difficulty. "I was driven quite envious of her during that period, though now that I think of it, she might have been envious of me. Either way, we both worked fanatically to become better than each other, and I suppose she had the upper hand, being a woman in a society mostly run by women. Now that I think about it, though, that woman brought out the best in me. I would not have worked so hard if I had not been envious of her skills!

"Now, as of these recent times, I shall indeed admit that the rivalry has died down, and in its place, a great friendship has taken place instead. I will admit that I care for Lady Beatrix quite a bit--I mean, I would not have convinced her to stay if I hadn't--and even now, at times, I find myself regretting that I cannot further my relationship with her. Now, though, during this time of peace, we may have something yet.

"…I can see that the only thing I'm doing is rambling on and boring you to tears," he noted. "I'm sorry. Perhaps it's the wine, or the fine cool air outside. Maybe I just open up more in times of peace, or maybe I just never had the chance to really talk to somebody before. These taverns can do that sort of thing."

"Agreed," she said.

"In any case, I wouldn't worry about her," he said, rubbing his glass gently before downing the liquid within. "Mmn, that's good stuff. But truly, Lady Freya, you would be much happier trusting her. If Lady Beatrix has any love of you and this kingdom, death and distance shall not keep her from reaching here, even if she must do so as a ghost. Frankly, though, I wouldn't be surprised if she came here right today!"

"You really think she would?"

"I don't know," he admitted smugly. "I'm afraid I don't know her as well as you. I envy that close friendship you two have. But anyway, you shouldn't worry. Go spend time with the man who loves you, and your friends who care for you, and you'll find that the time flies fast, and the tiny hole in your heart will be patched up before long." He smiled at her, and with his great speech finished, Steiner focused on his drink again, and finished it. Freya could only shake her head, completely amazed at the iron man's surprising wisdom. Feeling a bit better about the situation, she leaned in and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.

"You're a good man, Steiner," she smiled. "Beatrix deserves to have somebody like you. When she returns, and I know she will, you should tell her what you told me. She'd be very pleased to hear it." With that, she smiled again and removed herself from the bar, leaving Steiner slightly petrified. He rubbed the place where Freya had kissed him, and chuckled lightly to himself.

"Hahaha… you old dog… Heaven help us all if I suddenly turn into a lady's man…"

Watching Quina give chase to a frog was an entertaining thing to see for the first three minutes. Every once in awhile, things got interesting and the Qu would dive down and snatch the amphibian, but most of the time, s/he would miss or else start lagging behind. Quina was on a mission to catch twelve frogs for a stew s/he was brewing, and with the progress s/he was making, it would only take it about… two more hours.

S/he had an audience of two guards to watch the pursuit, but once the novelty of the situation wore off, they grew bored and restless, and badly desired something better to do. They were both in the middle of their shift, which would probably run on until Quina caught the desired frogs, so they had quite a way to go before they were relieved. Like catching frogs, standing guard was a pursuit that was great for the first half hour or so, but once time began to really drag on, and once it appeared as if nothing would happen for the rest of the day, weariness and restlessness took over.

Ahead of the guards was the landscape of Alexandria, and the territory it claimed, all the way up to the sea. There was not much out there, aside from the grass and the rivers and the distant smoky mountains--at least, nothing in terms of a threat. Even though the kingdom had just went through a great war, and peace was reigning once again, the duty of a guard still remained--still remained, no matter what the circumstances.

At least their pay wasn't bad.

Both guards each let out a long, weary sigh in unison, and prepared themselves for a mind-numbing two hours of watching the grass grow. Obviously, there wasn't going to be anything approaching Alexandria with evil intent--not today, not for a long while. Perhaps only the promise of a good salary kept the guards standing there, in the chilly late autumn air, with extra armor to guard against the cold and spears in their hands.

But then, to their slight relief, something appeared in the far distance. For the time being, the guards didn't care whether the image was a hallucination or was real, or whether it was friendly or antagonistic, or even if it was just a passing bunny or monster. Anything, any diversion at all, kept their interest going, and as the image drew slowly closer to their location, they prepared themselves for whatever it was.

As the image drew closer still, the patrolwomen dropped their guard, opened their mouths in surprise, and rubbed their bleary eyes, disbelieving what they saw. Yet as the figure walked closer to the castle gate, there was less and less doubt that this thing was what they thought it was. The guards were driven completely speechless, and with no other response, they chose to merely smile, and reveal a few tears as they saw the familiar face. They both prepared to salute…

"BEATRIX!!!!!"

SLAM!!!

With a mighty crash, Quina suddenly tackled the poor figure, squeezing it violently as s/he bounced up and down. The person gagged in surprise and pain, the fair face she had turning very blue very fast.

"Beatrix, Beatrix, Beatrix! I so glad you safe!" cried Quina as s/he hugged the person even tighter. "I so, so, SO glad you safe! I miss you! I miss you! So glad you safe!"

"QUINA!" choked the poor person. "You're… choking me! I… CAN'T… BREEEEEEEATHE!!!" Quina grumbled out quizzically, and released poor Beatrix from its grasp. With a mighty gasp, she inhaled as much air as she possibly could, restoring the lungs that had received such a brutal hug from the overzealous Qu. The guards, both of them, stared at their General in dumbstruck awe as they tried to make sense of things.

"…Uhh…"

"What's going on here?" came another voice from behind. It belonged to Freya, who had been taking a quiet walk by herself to clear her mind. She had just happened to pass by, overhearing Quina squeal out something, and had decided to investigate. When she came upon the scene, however, she suddenly froze. For the first time in over three weeks, Freya Crescent laid her eyes upon her dearest friend.

Eyes of emerald met two naked eyes of soft crimson, and a gentle smile, gaping open slightly from joy and happiness and relief, curled its way upon the mouth of the dragoon as she beheld the woman who had been missing for so long. Beatrix returned the smile with unbound amounts of love and warmth, and the two women rushed towards each other and flung their arms around the other's body, holding onto the other so they would never be apart, ever again. Freya shuddered happily as she embraced her long-lost friend, too amazed to do anything else.

"…I thought I lost you, girl!" she whispered. Beatrix smiled, and nodded her head as she rested her chin on Freya's shoulder.

"I… thought you lost me too, friend…" The two childhood friends held each other for a few seconds longer, until Freya broke the embrace. She stood back slightly, touching her friend's bare arms and looking deep into her face, making sure that this was not an image.

"…Well…" she said at last, "well-done, my friend. Well done. Good to see you again." Beatrix grinned, knowing that Freya was holding back on her emotions, and leaned in to give the woman a shorter and less desperate hug. She playfully kissed the girl's forehead, wherein she received a sharp squeal of protest and a quick, but harmless, slap on the shoulders.

"Ack, hey!" Beatrix giggled, completely apathetic towards her unusual actions, and ruffled her friend's hair lovingly. Freya let out a sigh, and returned the action gently. "I did miss you," she whispered softly. Beatrix smiled, and gave the dragoon a wink.

"Likewise."

"Whoa, hey, look everybody!!" A sudden eruption of noise interrupted the ladies' reunion: it had been Zidane, and the poor fool nearly fell over as he caught sight of Beatrix. He shouted out to everyone within listening range (considering him, that would have reached Dali), and soon, probably half the kingdom came streaming over to see what the fuss was about. In the midst of the crowd was Garnet, still carrying herself as a regal woman despite the loss of her arm, but the regality faded when she caught sight of Beatrix.

With a squeal, both Garnet and Zidane rushed over, and threw their arms around the General. Beatrix welcomed them both, and a massive group hug held the three (no, four--Freya joined in a bit later) of them together. Smiling so much that she began to cry, Garnet rubbed her nose against the General's neck, tickling her just slightly as she welcomed her dear friend.

"It's good to see you again, Beatrix," she said. "Welcome home."

--------------------

The smell of good food being cooked stirred into Freya's nose, and she woke up sniffing the delicious odor, alongside her love Fratley, who seemed just as engrossed with the smell as she was. It seemed to be delicious, warm, soft, buttery pancakes, reeking of syrup on the side and just barely touched with peppermint leaves. If Freya had not been fully awake, she would have been drooling that very moment.

"…Mmmm, what's that delicious smell?" she asked of Fratley. He smiled and daintily kissed her nose.

"Beatrix decided to make both of us breakfast in bed. She woke up at almost the same time I did, and wanted to do something nice for us." Freya smiled, and let out a soft moan as she rested her head on his arm.

"I see. You know, it should be us who are treating her to something nice."

"Well, she wanted to," he replied as he smiled and took her hand. She grinned back at him sweetly, and moved in for a long, slow kiss--which was cut just a few seconds too short by the arrival of Beatrix. She had not her usual clothes on, and in fact looked much better and more normal in civilian wear, which now consisted of a light violet sweater, and wool leggings of a plum color, and a cute ponytail for her hair. In her hands was the tray that kept the breakfast supported, and a tiny puff of steam told tales that she had just gotten through with making it. Beatrix didn't stammer or blush when she intruded upon the current scene, for she considered herself close enough to Freya to endure those "intimate moments", and she wanted to be friends with Fratley as well.

"Sorry for interrupting," she said calmly as she placed the tray on a lamp stand nearby. "I know Freya likes pancakes made this way, but what about you, Fratley?"

"If they were made from the heart, then I shall enjoy every bite," he proclaimed. Beatrix smiled and stole just a little piece for herself--Freya thought she deserved so much more--and made a small show of complimenting her own cooking as she sat down with her friends.

"Do you like it?" she asked once they stuffed a few pieces in their mouths. Their response was quite positive; to be frank, though, neither one of them knew that she could cook.

"I never knew you could cook, Bea," said Freya. "Where'd you learn?"

"Quina," she responded. Freya silently nodded her head, having been explained the situation with just one word, and finished her breakfast. Ever since Beatrix returned, which had been a glorious addition to the previous day's peaceful events, she had been a changed woman. This breakfast in bed was just one example of how much she had shifted: not too long ago, she had openly declared her love for Freya--sisterly love, of course, as she considered the dragoon an irreplaceable part of her "family" (then again, Freya had beaten her to the punch, but still…). Sadly, Steiner knew nothing of the woman's feelings… but Freya and Fratley made sure that that error would change, and quickly.

The one thing that nagged at Freya the most was why Beatrix had been absent for so long. She had contemplated every possibility that came to mind, preposterous or otherwise, and couldn't come up with anything that explained such a thing away. She had intended to ask once things began to calm down, but since Beatrix's arrival, things had been anything but. Of course, now that things were peaceful, and she was thinking about it all over again, she decided to ask and be told once and for all.

"Beatrix, darling," she said later that morning, "there's something that's been on my mind for a long time."

"What's that?"

"Well, I've been wondering--ever since you got back, I've always wanted to know why it took you so bloody long to get here. The team that went to Esto Gaza came back weeks ago, and even the last registered soldier came back about four days ago. So what took you so long?" Beatrix smiled coyly, knowing that somewhere along the line, somebody would ask that same question. She did intend to reveal her story, but words really did not express the full scale of her experience.

"I was wondering when you'd ask me that. Here, come with me. I really can't tell you in words, so I might as well show you. Bring Fratley, too: we might need a third person."

"Third person? For what?" Beatrix smiled at her friend, a mischievous glint in her gentle ruby eyes.

"You'll see."

Beatrix guided the dragoons outside, into the late morning air which was nice and cool, but not quite chilly yet, though winter was advancing slowly (hence her change into warmer clothes). Freya and Fratley, being mostly covered by fur, were unaffected by the chill and kept their normal clothes. The streets of mid-autumn Alexandria were particularly quiet, with hardly anyone around to shuffle the streets, except a vendor selling seasonal merchandise. Freya was hungry for information; Fratley, as he saw Beatrix pacing around and wondering how she could "pull this off", was more or less bemused.

"…What are you trying to do?" asked Freya after a moment's observation. Beatrix cupped her chin in her palm, thought hard, and beckoned Freya over.

"I'm going to show you what happened, movement for movement. Think of this as a play that Tantalus would put on, except none of us are as good as any of them."

"I wouldn't say that," muttered Freya coyly. Beatrix understood her friend's less-than-stellar reference, and returned the coyness before resuming.

"Anyway, this is going to be like a production of what happened. Naturally, I shall play the part of myself. One of you must be Vikar Iudicium--here, let's draw straws since I know neither of you would volunteer." Although both Burmecians didn't mind acting a little bit, they both drew straws anyway, and Fratley was given the part. Beatrix then loaned him a blunt stick she had picked up off the ground, and began instructing Fratley what to do. Freya tried hard not to burst out laughing as her loved ones reenacted the dreadful scene, but it was extremely difficult to keep a straight face, considering neither one could act at all.

"First of all," said Beatrix, "Iudicium and I were fighting, and very hard at that. Here, come at me, Fratley, but nothing serious. I don't know how to stage-fight." Fratley agreed, and the two began to mock-battle in the most pathetic way. Freya let a few chuckles out as she watched the scene.

"You will die, Alexandrian vermin--I swear it!" called Fratley. Beatrix smugly nodded her head.

"Not bad, but I don't think he said anything like that."

"I wasn't acting," replied the dragoon with a grin. Beatrix rolled her eyes and lamely parried his attacks.

"Ha, ha. I know when I've been teased, sir Fratley. Now come on, get serious."

"But I am serious! I've been wanting to challenge myself against your skills ever since… oh, I can't even remember how long it's been!"

"Since you were seventeen, I think," offered Freya. Fratley nodded his head and thanked his beloved.

"Right, right."

"On with the next scene," coughed Beatrix impatiently. Fratley smiled and apologized, and paused to see what she would say next. "Iudicium was beating me, believe it or not. He had smacked my sword away--go ahead, Fratley, that's your cue." Fratley nodded his head, and just to irritate the woman, he gently tapped his stick up against hers. She growled in exasperation, and lamely let the object drop.

"I have you now," he purred with delight. Beatrix quickly yanked the stick from his grasp, and snapped it in two over her knee. "Hey! That's my sword!"

"I broke it in the battle!" she spat. "Anyway, we were both beaten and bloody. I was on the ground…" She paused just long enough to lie down on the cobbled street, and then added, "And Iudicium was hovering over me, grasping what was left of his sword."

"…Huh? Oh…" Fratley quickly scurried over to one of the pieces of the stick he had been wielding, and picked up one so he would "stay in character". "Like this?"

"More or less. Anyway, I was weak--I mean, completely unable to move. Completely. I had drained all my energy, and this guy still had the strength to stand."

"My dear!" whispered Freya in amazement. "That does sound rather perilous. How did you escape? Or are you a ghost?"

"Ghosts don't eat pancakes," she noted. "But anyway, you wouldn't believe me if I told you. See, Iudicium had raised his sword in the air, like he was going to sacrifice me to some pagan god… Uh, that's your cue." Fratley nodded his head and raised the stick in the air, and pretended to jab at Beatrix.

"Die, woman!"

"Cut the theatrics," moaned Freya. "But seriously, what did you do?"

"I rolled to the side," explained Beatrix in a matter-of-fact voice, and to demonstrate, she did just that. "What else could I do?"

"But you said--"

"I knew you wouldn't believe me," replied a slightly-dizzy warrior. "I don't know where, but it seemed as if I found a secret cistern of strength somewhere within me. I… I actually think I saw the spirit of my dead mother and father in that brief moment. I saw them smiling at me, like they were welcoming me into their arms. But when I thought all was lost, they whispered something to me…

"'Live, my child. Live, and grow, and we will see you another day.' Call it a miracle if you will, but this was all the encouragement I needed." Freya smiled warmly at her friend, and Fratley had to admit that the General did indeed have a few slick tricks up her sleeves.

"So while you rolled away, Iudicium got his sword stuck in the ground, from all the force he put behind that final blow, right?"

"That is exactly what happened!" pointed Beatrix, and Fratley performed as thus. "He couldn't pull it out--at least, not at first. I didn't allow him the time he needed to yank it out, so with one last great effort, I summoned up my last bit of strength, grabbed my sword--which thankfully had been thrown quite close to where I ended up. Anyway, I grabbed my sword, and cleaved the man's head off with a final blow!" Fiercely, she performed exactly as she said: Beatrix grabbed a nearby stick, stood up, and slapped Fratley's neck with it. He grunted out in pain, and plummeted to the ground.

Freya laughed out loud, and applauded the story.

"That was wonderful!" she exclaimed. "Well, maybe for us it is. I know I'd have fared no better if I had drawn that short straw. So, you really killed him, eh?"

"I saw his head roll and everything," stated Beatrix. "It was horrid… but it had to be done. The very future of Alexandria rested in my hands. It had to be done…"

"I see…" Pausing thoughtfully, Freya considered what her friend had said, and marveled over the performance. Meanwhile, Fratley stood up and dusted himself off, breathing out a few sighs of relief.

"So now I am dead," he said. "But that still does not explain your absence. Your recovery from such a fight, no matter how hard it was for you, couldn't have taken more than a few days."

"Well…" The holy knight trailed off, absently wiping away a part of her hair that had fallen in her eye, like she used to do in the past. "My physical wounds were not too terribly grievous. I ended up being rescued by the people of Iudicium Manor, who were kind enough to keep me warm and healthy. They told me that my actions had liberated them, and now that they had no master, they were free to do as they pleased. My recovery was just their way of repaying the debt."

"Even so…"

"I had more wounds than physical," muttered Beatrix quietly as she stared at the floor. "I had to… for lack of a better term… sacrifice a part of my life to win that fight. To recover from physical injuries is one thing, but to recover from biological injuries… Well, now I think you know why it took me so long to get here. Besides, even after I got better, I was unable to go anywhere until another boat passed by Esto Gaza. I was stuck on that freezing island until then, so I guess you can understand my absence. Forgive me, but it was out of my control…"

Freya, who was like a sponge absorbing the watery story that Beatrix had to offer, stood in the cool streets in awe. Not only did she now have a new respect for her friend, and not only did she now understand the circumstances which brought them together again, she was just plain happy to see this woman acting so… naturally. It couldn't be explained, really--it was a kind of feeling, something like pride and love and excitement mixed in together, with something silly sprinkled in, until it cooked enough to bubble up, only to be cooled off later. It was positive, whatever it was, and Freya exuded as much of it as she could towards her friend.

"Well, whatever the circumstances, I'm glad you're safe," she said with a smile. Beatrix returned it, and thanked Fratley for performing with her. The mousy man gave her a sly wink, and tipped his hat like a country gentleman.

"A pleasure, milady, a pleasure. And since you spin such a great yarn, I feel it necessary to repay your story with some reward. Ladies, would you permit me to buy the two of you a lunch?"

"I would," smiled Freya. Beatrix almost spoke up in agreement, but was interrupted by a familiar booming voice.

"I would not!" it cried. The lady turned around just in time to see Steiner coming her way, dressed without his armor but with his autumnal gear. He smiled at the three of them, and gave them his obligatory salute. "Fratley, my friend," he addressed, "worry not about treating this lady to a lunch. Her bill is on me."

"Steiner…!" Smiling, Beatrix eagerly accepted the offer; Freya merely rolled her eyes.

"Ah, well. We might as well turn this into a date. Should I go see if Zidane and Garnet would like to join us?"

"Would you?" said Fratley. Freya smiled, and kissed his cheek before leaving. Meanwhile, Steiner sighed, tipped an imaginary hat, and gave Beatrix a nod.

"My lady… my friend… my dear Beatrix… I… have something I need to say to you, and I shall address it during the course of our lunch."

"I think we can compromise," she replied warmly. "I, too, have something that I have been meaning to say to you, for a very long time……"

And while the group of friends dined, many things were said, many things were planned, and many things were done, all for the good of everyone else, and all for the good of the things that had already transpired, and would transpire in the future. It seemed, then, that this story was going to have a happy ending after all.

--------------------

Days, weeks passed. Autumn bloomed from a gentle spark started in the lazy end days of summer, where adults warned their children to wear jackets with their light clothing, and burst into the grand flair of an explosion of color. The flames fell gently down from atop their high perches of beech and maple and poplar and oak, and burned to the ground where they littered the streets with bright colors. Orange, red, and gold swept the land in the autumnal days, but this fire died down as the complete chill of the late year grasped its burning throat. The colors died, and became brown and gray and black, and choked and died, and the degrees fell to an uncertain low temperature, and more and more clothing had to be worn to keep the fair residents from chilling.

Winter came, slowly at first, but progressed rapidly after the first serious fall of snow. Up until those days, the skies had not been clouded much, nor the air very full of flakes, except in passing mention from time to time: "Oh look, there is a trace of snow in the air", but that was all, really. Not now. A blanket of frost--a freezing blanket--covered the land like it had been a gigantic bed, and this cold wrapping left the world to do little else except shrug, and cease the struggle for warmth, and proceed directly to bed. A blanket, and time for the world to sleep! Such symbolism stirred more than one poet and muse to write and sing and lament about the situation, and of warmer temperatures.

The year was closing fast, another would approach to replace it. The living creatures of the land--that is, the ones without sentience--they all went into their own version of sleep, and blanketed themselves up in caves and burrows, and hid and rested and waited for spring to emerge, and for things to look green once again. Those who had the power of reason and creativity used this time of sleep and "inactivity" to the best of their knowledge, and though fewer and fewer people would be traveling or even stepping out of their houses, it was never a better time for people to gather together, and consider themselves closer. For, in this period of "death", life could truly flourish amongst the residents, particularly that of Alexandria.

During this passage of time, there were many developments that went about the kingdom. Birthdays were had, holidays were observed, and one particular event outshined them all. At last--it seemed to have been delayed forever, really--at long last, the wedding of Mr. Fratley Irontail and Miss Freya Crescent finally took place, after experiencing years of procrastination. It was official now, with the vows and the visits and the kisses, and though it was obviously nowhere near as extravagant as the marriage of Zidane and Garnet, some felt it was just as touching.

During the wedding, more than one direct reference to Beatrix's own status was made, most of them ending up embarrassing her. The King and Queen were gentle to her about it, mentioning it only here and there (even the zesty Zidane did not divulge upon such an interesting topic for long), and other friends that Beatrix had made muttered it three or four times, but Freya and Fratley beat them all out.

"You were the one who caught the bouquet, my friend," pointed Mrs. Irontail slyly. "I didn't ask you to catch it. You know, if I didn't know any better, I'd say you wanted that thing!"

"That's nonsense!" replied Beatrix defensively. "It just… fell into my arms! What do you expect; I was carrying all those gifts! It was just a coincidence, Freya! Nothing more!"

"Even so…" replied her friend. "Trixie-dear, you should really consider settling down. I think it's high time you and Steiner began to seriously strengthen your relationship!"

"I don't know what you're talking about," stated Beatrix stubbornly. Freya grinned at the denial, and though Beatrix left to attend to other matters, she was pestered almost all day by the newlyweds. Surprisingly, Fratley bugged her even more than Freya. He had seen the unusual but touching chemistry that had went on between Beatrix and Steiner, and no matter how much of a gentleman he was, he couldn't help but press the issue. Beatrix ended up groaning in irritation and asking Garnet, or Lani, or somebody to keep "those rats" occupied while she attended to other affairs.

All of that had happened in the cusp of late autumn, or perhaps very early winter--it was somewhere in between the two. Freya and Fratley had been married for a little while now, and they grew in love every day, and there was already an embarrassing conspiracy going round that if Beatrix ever actually got married, her children and Freya's children would probably end up together with each other.

"How do you have the nerve of mentioning something like that to me!" shrieked Beatrix whenever such rumors reached her. "For the sake of the Creator! Freya's not having children anytime soon, and don't even get me started about my own situation! For shame! Don't people have better things to gossip about? Perhaps their highnesses will bear offspring sometime soon! Talk about that!!"

Poor Beatrix.

Revelry is magnified during the winter season, perhaps because a certain jolly old elf was involved with the holiday, but even the happiest of moments do not last for always. Things began to settle down a month after the wedding, when the snows began to grow steady and serious, and fires burned harder, and old people told wilder stories to the youngest generation, and traces of sweetness could be found under mistletoe and inside wrapped boxes and stockings. The Lady Beatrix was straying from the castle quarters more and more, and more and more, and more and more still, til' there came a time when her presence there might have surprised somebody.

She had the right to do as she pleased. No matter how high a rank she owned, or who she commanded, or what weapon she possessed, or who loved her, the lady was still but a human. She deserved to spend time away from duty, with friends. She needed to rest in a soft bed, with warm fires, away from snoring soldiers and dirty jokes and endless gossip. She found herself sleeping over at Freya's house more and more, though there were occasions when her nights would end up being… "restless".

"Morons," she muttered once in awhile. "Morons… Can't they keep it down in there?"

Time was her cruelest enemy, and after that, restlessness, and after that, inoccupation. Beatrix began to question herself during this time, and honestly began to think of what her future would be like. She seriously began to wish for a family of her own, or an identity of her own, and even a place where she could call Home, without the addition of soldiers and swords and sovereigns. In war she was a General, ready to swing the sword for her Majesties, but in peace she was a citizen, ready to wait and wonder and wither away. What purpose did a sharp sword have in a sleepy world?

She needed to talk to somebody. She wanted to do something. Middle of the night--her dearest friends would most likely be sleeping in each other's arms. No matter how close she was to Freya and Garnet, or Zidane and Fratley, she knew she could not interrupt such intimacy. They had "somebody" to be with, somebody that completed their puzzles. In the words of a piece of scripture she loved, they were all but one-winged angels, unable to fly on their own, but filled in perfectly with the wing of another.

"Angels of a feather flock together"…eh?

She needed to walk. Putting on the heaviest robe and slippers she knew of, Beatrix quietly crept out of Freya's home, and went outside to wander the dark wintry streets of Alexandria. The snow had truly covered the world up into a sheet of wooly white. There was scarcely a spot left that the snow had not touched, not even on the roofs of the houses. A few lamps here and there lit the way, and the snow was not falling so hard as to blind Beatrix as she trudged through the banks. It was late, but not so late that the tavern would be closed.

Inside, the warmth of the fire cooked her freezing body back up to a delicious feeling, and she sighed and smiled and shivered with relief. The tender held back a yawn as he waved at her, and told her that, just for her, he would keep the place open another hour. Beatrix thanked him, and some warm tea was given to her, the perfect kind to make one fall asleep.

"Hello, Adelbert," she said in greetings. The man seated not too far away from her smiled and waved back.

"Hello, Beatrix. Can you not sleep?"

"……I… just needed some extra time to think," she replied. Steiner smiled, and situated himself at the stool next to hers. Beatrix, now slightly more comfortable with expressing herself towards the man, placed her head on his shoulder and let her thoughts tumble out.

"I need to vent," she sighed. "Can you spare an hour or two?"

"I will remain for as long as you need me," he replied. She gave him a sweet smile, and asked the tender to give them privacy. It was then that the floodgates were opened, and the soul of the woman poured out like water.

"I'm looking for something, something that will fulfill me and make me feel like I truly have a place. When I started the knighthood, I was merely trying to look for a place to belong, as I once belonged in D'negel and the circus. Haha… I ended up being General and champion of the Queen. Hahaha! Can you believe that a place of mere convenience has turned into such a large part of my life?"

"…I never thought of it that way," he admitted.

"Now, I'm starting to question things again," she continued. "All those wars are ended, the enemies are gone, and we're all living 'happily ever after'. Here is where most of the stories would end, with the heroes winning and finding happiness. But life goes on, Adelbert. It finds a way to move onward even after the happy ending. In fact, no matter how many happy endings we find, there'll always be more to find, and another day to live through."

She was rambling now, but he let her ramble. Whenever her temper wasn't bubbling, Beatrix had a very beautiful voice.

"Freya and Fratley have been given their happy ending," she sighed. "They are together now, married at last. I'm happy for them, of course, but… it goes on. Life goes on, whether after a storm or after a celebration, life goes on. It's not 'The End', it just goes on. They'll have kids, and those kids will have kids, and so many cycles will go on, but… it won't ever end. There's always going to be something."

Still rambling. She wasn't going anywhere. But he let her talk.

"…I've been thinking a lot recently," she sighed. "You know, Steiner--Adelbert--I feel like… I don't belong here. It's the strangest feeling, but… it's like… I don't know. I've lived in this kingdom for half my life, but you know something? I don't think I've ever had the chance to really discover who I am. Am I merely General Beatrix, champion of the Queen and protector of the throne? Am I merely a great soldier and commander? Am I merely a tool used only during war? Do I have other purposes?

"I believe that humans--no, all living creatures are not set to just one purpose. I believe that people aren't set to just a single destiny. Sometimes, they can walk down more than one path, and discover what else awaits them. If I complete my task in life at 29 years, what else will await me for the remaining fifty? Would the Creator take me away once my single role in life is complete? I don't think so. I think we, as living intelligent beings, are given multiple destinies in life, and so far, mine has been to sacrifice my own wants and needs for the throne.

"Lately, I have been wondering if there is anything else out there for me. I have done so much for this kingdom, I really should consider an indefinite retirement. Don't you think so?" She paused and looked at him, searching for some kind of indication that he had listened, or had an opinion of his own. Steiner rubbed his chin and returned her gaze quietly.

"My friend… the last time you considered leaving here, I was able to stop you by way of my words. I said something along the lines of 'I wish to never leave your side again', or whatnot. It's been years since then. In any case, your additional presence here has made me quite happy--quite happy indeed. I have grown to considerably care for you a great deal, perhaps even……" Poor guy trailed off, too embarrassed to continue what he was saying.

"……We might as well say it," whispered Beatrix. "There's no denying it. There's definitely something between us. You may not believe it, but I can feel it. You may not think you are worthy of my attention, but… it does not take much to get my interest. You certainly are more worthy than you accredit yourself to. So, go ahead and say it." Steiner blushed just a little, and shook his head in agreement.

"…I have grown very fond of you in the past few years," he muttered. "I daresay that… I…"

"Just let it out," she said gently as she placed her hand upon his. "It doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. Just say whatever is on your heart and mind." He nodded and smiled at her.

"…My love for you is inexhaustible and inextinguishable," he managed. "You have brought out the very best in me, Beatrix, as I have brought out the best in you. You have opened these stubborn eyes to the truth, and I have melted that stony heart of yours into a greater compassion. You have made me seen such a brilliant light, and I have encouraged you in your hour of darkest needs. Hahaha… my skill has forced you to work harder, and your determination has forced me to work as well! Bah, merciful heavens! I scoff with delight at how compatible we are!!" He chuckled, perhaps a bit too loudly, but she let him laugh.

Beatrix sighed, and had to agree with most everything he had said. There was so much going on in her mind during that period that she needed the assurance of somebody else--the assurance that she was cared for, and loved, and that her life truly mattered, and more than one person would be miserable otherwise. She was, in effect, another one of those many one-winged angels that could only fly with the support of another--yet others flew thanks to her.

"…I love you too, Bert," she said with a soft smile. She chuckled once, and gave him a playful nudge that would have been a flirt if the hour wasn't so late. "But anyway," she resumed, "I have been thinking about lots of things. Do I have a place in this world? Do I have more than one purpose? Am I restricted to this kingdom? Have I ever truly been given 'freedom'? Have I ever gotten the chance to be my own person? Just… things like that."

"Alexandria is my home," said Steiner out of the blue. "It is where I belong, and it is where I have been fulfilling my destinies. I have lived life outside of the kingdom before, believe it or not, and I found that, in the end, I prefer this. Of course, there are times when I wish for personal freedom… but unlike a few soldiers I have known, I am willing and able to make a life outside of war. I am a Major now, but I can still live a civilian's life. Perhaps… you should try it sometime. I know you will like it."

Beatrix gave him another smile, and a new cup of tea was poured for her since she had drained her last one. The woman sipped the dark liquid down, letting the steam cloud her face and warm her nose up. There were just some times when Steiner amazed her, and not just because he appeared to be a clumsy oaf most of the time. Privately, in the company of trusted friends, Adelbert could really awe his audience if they gave him the chance. Of course, what he said earlier was also true: he had been changed by Beatrix's influence, and the woman had been changed by his.

…And Freya's. And Freya's. She couldn't forget her.

"…So what will you do?" asked Steiner after a bit of silence. Beatrix shrugged.

"For now, I think I ought to stay with you for as long as I possibly can," she said. "Steiner… we have wasted enough years already. I know that I expressed a few things here and there in the past, concerning our relationship, but I must now condemn every one of them. 'Forget what I said, and pay attention to what I'm saying'."

"Eh?"

"Protecting the King and Queen may not necessarily be our top priority anymore," she said with a sly smile. "Think about it. They now have so many people watching over them: Tantalus, Freya and Fratley, Vivi, Quina, Lani, Erin, and everyone in the world council. Steiner, I believe that even the most dedicated person is entitled to selfishness every once in awhile. It is only human nature!!!"

"I see where this is going," he smiled as he drained his own cup. "You want to forego your duty briefly to engage with a relationship with another person."

"We are compatible," she noted with a wink. The two knights held a good solid silence between themselves, allowing each other to forget about everything else outside of their own selves. Duty, friends, the weather, even the hour of the night was all lost on them as they spent quiet time together, thankfully without a bit of interruption. Beatrix, feeling a little girlish (but she didn't care), leaned forth and placed a loving kiss on Steiner's cheek--not a peck, but a genuine kiss. He blushed a little, of course, and rubbed the place where her lips had touched.

"…What was that for?" The smile she gave him was so loving and sweet, it was hard to believe that this same woman had once freed an entire city infested with monsters.

"Because you've always been so good to me, especially when I didn't deserve it."

"…Remind me to continue doing it!" he scoffed playfully. Beatrix chuckled, and allowed herself to laugh out as loud as she possibly dared. She didn't care whether anyone saw her, or questioned her, or scorned her actions. She could not be a General all the time; she was human, like everyone else, and she had the God-given right to live and to love.

A few more quiet but enjoyable minutes passed, with an intimacy going between the two knights that teasingly bordered on the edge of romance. The hour grew dark and long, so much so that the bartender had long ago trusted the two of them to lock up for him. The sun would rise in roughly three or four hours, and yet neither one of them were tired or even concerned. They were enjoying this much-needed time together. Unfortunately, it did have to end, as Steiner grumbled as he glanced at a chiming grandfather clock.

"Dear me, is it four in the morning? Already?? My, how the time doth fly!" Beatrix gave him a careless smile, though he did not quite return it. "My dear," he sighed to her, "I am afraid to say this, but we must part. I must get a few hour's rest for our date tomorrow."

"Date? Tomorrow?? I don't recall any of us setting up a date tomorrow!"

"I just did," he added slyly. Beatrix grinned, and gave his arm a friendly slap. Steiner chuckled and tipped an imaginary hat as he left--but he soon slowly turned around, after thinking things over, and decided to go for broke. He leaned down and gently kissed Beatrix's forehead, telling her of the enjoyable evening he had had, and that they should do it again, sometime very soon, and on many more occasions as well.

Beatrix sure didn't lie when she said she would look forward to them all.

--------------------

Zidane woke up by himself one frosty morning. The snow outside could not penetrate the warm castle innards--or, if it did, it was dulled to a considerable degree. He barely had to put on anything more than a robe to prepare himself for the day's chills (anything less would lead to nothing), and with a yawn, another day of calm, peace, tranquility, and et cetera had begun.

Not finding Garnet snuggling up at his side was a bit of a mystery, but he figured she had already woken up before him, and more than likely, she "didn't want to disturb [his] slumber" and had left to do whatever. For the moment, he headed off to the Royal Bath Room, to perform the usual acts that males tend to do in the mornings. He found himself entering the bathroom and found a bowled-over Garnet, looking very pale even for that time of year, and hurtling massive amounts of rejected bodily wastes into the toilet, via her mouth.

"Oh man!" he said and staggered. "Garnet, what's wrong? Are you sick?"

"……I don't feel so well," came a groaned reply. She briefly ceased her vomiting to hold her stomach and to give her husband a face that would prove her illness. Zidane was convinced immediately, and made a disgusted face himself as the beauty his wife normally had vanished a bit.

"You don't look very well at all," he remarked. He walked over to her during the lull and placed his hand on her forehead. "Jeez! You're hot!"

"I know. …It's probably a fever," she grumbled.

"No, I mean… yowza! You're one hot chick!!" He grinned at her with his usual lewd grin, but the compliment did very little to cheer her up. She gave him a weak smile and said one word before erupting out in volcanic spewing fits again.

"…Thanks… URRGGGHH!!! GUURRRRKKK!!!! BLEEEAAA!!! BLUUGGH!!!"

"Wow!" grimaced Zidane. He rubbed Garnet's shoulders and poured a glass of water for her to swish around in her mouth. The illness had came rather suddenly--she had been okay the previous day--so it might have been something she ingested from food. The way she vomited, though, she looked ready to puke out her own intestines.

"Honey, you okay?" he grunted, flushing the toilet several times to erase the smell of vomit. Garnet moaned and shed a few miserable tears before swishing down some water.

"I… think so," she replied. "It might have been something I ate."

"What'd ya have?"

"Yesterday? Umm, liverwurst, onions, sauerkraut, gysahl pickles, piece'a, vanilla ice cream, and mushrooms."

"Ugh, no wonder you're vomiting!" cringed Zidane. "I feel sick just hearing about some of that stuff!" Garnet smiled, and slowly cleaned herself up from the brief ordeal. Several glasses of water were swished and spat out, and one more was swallowed. Zidane wanted to take his wife to see Dr. Quban, but by the hour's end, she insisted that she was perfectly fine. She also insisted to have salami, squid, beans, and tomato juice for lunch. Zidane questioned both of these as he guided Garnet out of the bathroom and into the kitchen.

-----

It was a merry and bright morning outside, crisp to an exhilarating degree, and just cold enough to chill, but not overbearingly so. The sky was magnificently clear, the sun gave out blinding light, and all the flakes of snow that had been falling in the weeks before had now settled down on the ground. The entire kingdom and beyond was covered with pure white, from the roofs of the houses to the streets, from the castle to the barracks, from gardens to churches, and even the moat was frozen solid. Old man Winter had struck at Alexandria with a powerful vengeance, and the entire town was either bundled up indoors or running out in the snow.

Children by the dozens populated the snowy streets, splashing and playing like they were in the ocean. Snow-forts, snowmen (and their snow-families), ice statues, ice sculptures, snowballs, snow angels, and a dozen other wintry delights were being created left and right as the day's merriness and frozen warmth beckoned more and more people outside. A large group of children had declared a snowball war on everyone that walked, tossing and chucking wads of crystal mercilessly.

Several of the Vivis were out demonstrating their ice magic. Most of them were creating large blocks of ice that were destined to become sculptures, and a few were helping with the snow-forts. A snow-war might have been declared if a few more kids were aggressive, but it did not get any larger than mere snow-skirmishes. Ice-skaters were even testing their mettle on the frozen moat, and the rivers and streams that surrounded the castle and church. It was a literal Winter Wonderland, even for those that detested snow. This was not a day to shovel the stuff, but to revel in it.

Freya and Fratley were cavorting with some of the children, acting as unwilling targets for the hundreds of tossed snow-bombs. They could squeal and scream as much as they desired, but the assault would never stop until Alexandria was void of snow and green again, and considering the downfall that had blanketed the whole area, that would take some time. They tried to fight back, but children throwing snowballs tend to be more tenacious than adults or Burmecians, though Fratley frightened a few away.

"I shall protect you, my lady!" he screamed as he dove to shield Freya. She giggled and twirled him around several times to protect herself better, and ended up locking her eyes onto his after a few good spins. Poor Fratley was both dizzy and covered with splatters of snow by that point, and Freya couldn't help but laugh out loud at her new husband's appearance. She remedied it quickly by giving him a warm smile, and an even warmer kiss.

"Ooooooooohhhhhh!!!" howled the children. The kiss only served to make them assault Freya and Fratley even more, and the kiss was forcibly broken as the two Burmecians were being pummeled. They laughed out loud and returned fire, and for most of the day, a great war of snowballs was being waged. More than one time, Fratley would wrestle Freya to the ground and sneak in a few kisses, but this would only end up in a big wrestling match, which Freya usually won.

During this time of much-needed peace, Lani committed herself to hunting down Blank and forcing him under the mistletoe. She had despised that winter tradition until very recently, when she discovered the thief in her travels. Since then, she had made it a habit of hers to cling onto him, and be as romantic as possible, poor girl (not as poor as Blank, obviously). On that particular day, Lani searched the snowy marketplace for the thief, covered in a heavy mink coat she had bought herself.

As Lani walked through the banks of snow, keeping an eye out for the redheaded thief, she smiled and allowed herself to let all worried and troubles go, not that she had any to begin with. These people were now completely accepting of her (to a point), and had practically forgotten about those times when she had been hunting the then-princess Garnet. Lani had been a bounty hunter way back then, serving anyone with a fat enough wallet, but the years changed and matured her into a less-manipulative and greedy woman (she still bore those characteristics in spades, but not quite as much as back then). She considered her knighthood into the kingdom her greatest honor.

Distracted by her thoughts just a bit, Lani nearly missed getting slugged by an errant snowball. The kid that threw it grinned and stuck his tongue out at Lani, and ran as fast as he could. The dark-skinned ex-bounty hunter, always a big fan of revenge, took up the chase and caught up with the kid despite the huge axe she carried (this was a new one, since her old one got broken during the war against Iudicium). Quickly she lifted the kid up by the collar of his shirt, much like she lifted Eiko up all those years ago, and glared into his face.

"What's the big idea, squirt?" she demanded. "You almost hit me with that thing!"

"I wasn't aimin' for you, honest!" he replied. "Lemme go! Lemme go! I was aimin' for Joey over there! He's gettin' away, he is!" Lani's lip curled like an annoyed lioness, and she tossed the poor child into a large bank of snow. He sank in a little, undamaged but quite wet and cold.

"Well, watch where you're shooting next time!" she stated. "If I wasn't a Knight, I wouldn't have gone so easy on you! Now scram, kid!" The little one stuck his tongue out at Lani and ran off again, but made it a point to never approach the older woman again. Lani groaned out a sigh, and went back to looking for Blank. She eventually found him, and another chase was on…

-----

In the season of winter, Quina discovered the joy of fresh snow falling on one's tongue, not that s/he could do anything about it. S/he became occupied not by hopping toads, but by the gentle flakes that fell down onto the ground from time to time. On that day, all the flakes were on the ground, just waiting to be scooped up into frozen delights. Quina took advantage of the ice, and scooped several buckets full of the stuff. S/he then began serving them on cones to the children that passed by, often flavoring the stuff to give it an edge. Naturally, since snow was free, the cones were as well.

"Get your ice-cold dessert treats!" called the Qu. "Free for all, free for all! Worry-worry not about spoiling appetites! Snow eaten very easily! Eat-eat, while it is still in stock!" Children flocked around Qu like birds flocking around a spilled bag of seeds, but the Qu's neglectful attitude concerning the "real" food was not quite so entertaining. Hot food was the rage, especially piece'a, and the biggest patrons in the kingdom were haunting around the Qu as s/he blissfully handed out treats.

Their Majesties Zidane and Garnet had become more accustomed to wandering outside and surveying the land since their marriage--not that either one of them liked being cooped up anyway. Zidane had grown since his days as a thief, and not just in physical build, though that was different. His hair was still relatively long, though shears had been placed to it more often. He still had the spark and smile of one innocent and free in the world, though countless wars and hours of darkness had taken much of that away. He was more of a man now than a boy, especially after all the weeks he spent training to look the part of a king. His shoulders were erect instead of slumped, his posture was almost completely perfect, the way he spoke was much more elegant and refined, and every subtle feature that had once defined him had now changed into one that bore more maturity and dignity.

Garnet, who had been raised as a Princess though her blood denied it, had changed very little, except that her face was just as war-torn and wise as her husband's, and of course, she was missing her left arm. The loss of such an appendage was staggering at first, but through lots of treatment and therapy, she learned to work and live without it. Reading was a chore, though, as it was dreadfully hard to turn pages with her right hand, and eating was also a bit of a hassle, but other than that, she seemed to get by.

A few very brilliant doctors and mechanics had offered to construct a replacement arm, but with some exception, she really had not the use of it. She accepted their offer anyway, out of convenience, though an actual project had just barely begun by that time. For the moment, she was merely armless, though still radiant by any standards. Zidane constantly thought of her as his beautiful jewel, his angel, his canary, and would have done so no matter what. The snowy day only helped to bring out this great heavenly radiance.

As Zidane and Garnet walked through the land, hand in hand and wintry outfits covering their bodies, they smiled and greeted everyone they came across. Zidane was no longer so lewd around other people, and whenever he did flirt, it was usually harmless, or else a compliment, or else geared towards good female friends. The King was beloved no matter what he did--the people of Alexandria had grown to adore his mischievous antics, and already, one could not think of Alexandria ever being the same without him.

Guards smiled and saluted as Garnet and Zidane passed them, both monarchs completely thankful that they wore winter clothes as well. The outfits they previously had, the ones that bared all the leg, were a bit too revealing and terrible in any weather that was not warm. Surprisingly, it had been Zidane who ratified to issue out new uniforms (ones that would go down to the knee), and nobody complained in the least, except for those few Pluto Knights who appreciated a woman with good legs.

Garnet sneezed.

"Take care, Dagger," smiled Zidane as he patted her back. "Not that I wouldn't mind if you turned into a fairy. Say, are you sure you're not coming down with something?"

"I feel fine, sweetheart!" she assured him brightly. "That sneeze was just… well, it was a sneeze, that's all. You know what they say: 'Sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze'."

"I think that's 'cigar', love."

"Whatever," she smiled. "Hey, sweetheart?"

"Yeah?"

"Catch!!" Before Zidane could react, a huge snowball smashed into his face, courtesy of his wife Garnet. She giggled and ran away as fast as she could; he, on the other hand, wiped his face and gathered a few balls for a counterstrike.

"Oh no you don't!" he shouted. "You won't get away from me! Hey, kids!" The children scattered around Alexandria turned around and looked to see what he wanted. "C'mere! Help me get back at Dagger, will ya?"

"You want us to attack the Queen?!" they balked.

"Not for real! Just throw a few snowballs at her! See, she got me good in the face!" Zidane pointed to the spot where Garnet had struck, giving the kids a very wicked idea. They all glared at him, and at the same time, every one of them threw a ball of slush where he had been pointing. Every one smacked him, nearly sending him to the floor, and every kid scampered away before the King could exact his revenge.

Groaning, Zidane could barely pick up the sound of beautiful laughter. He turned around, wiping the snow out of his face, and saw his wife smiling at him, red in the face and nearly doubled over.

"Sorry," she grinned. "They were on my side. I promised them a kiss each in advance if they would throw snowballs at you."

"Ack, no, you didn't!" he whined. "Betrayed by my own wife! Stabbed in the back by a scheming Dagger! Led astray by this Canary that I trusted, blinded by the radiance of this Jewel! Et tu, Garnet? Garnet, the woman who shares my bed, my flesh, my soul?! Garnet, the future mother of my children--our children?! NOO!!"

"Oh, don't be such a baby," she smiled as she leaned on her knees. The woman looked illuminating as she knelt there, her cheeks flushed and crimson from the cold, her brown eyes sparkling with love, her long dark hair flowing freely from a fuzzy hat, an unzipped white vest shielding a heavy orange shirt and pants, the smile on her red lips…

"…You're so mean," pouted Zidane. She grinned and rubbed his hair gently.

"I thought you liked it when I was mean. That's what you say in bed all the time. 'Be a mean girl, Garnet! Show me how bad you can be, Garnet! Garnet, you're such a naughty little girl!' Blah blah blah."

"(Let's not discuss that here,)" grunted Zidane under his breath. She gave him another beautiful smile, and in return, Zidane dunked his wife's head in the snow. Truly, revenge was a dish best served cold…

-----

While the weather outside was at one time frightful, the fire inside the tavern was always delightful, especially in the company of good friends and loved ones. Steiner had both: a friendly tender who kept the drinks coming, and a lovely young woman that had been the object of his desires for a very long time. At that moment, he considered himself quite a lucky man, an ale in one hand and the attention of Lady Beatrix in the other. At that particular moment, the two were on their second or third date (they never bothered to keep count), and were enjoying the quiet of the moment instead of the mindless play outside (though Steiner wouldn't mind frolicking if it was with Beatrix!).

"It's just been on my mind for a long time now," said Beatrix, concerning her retirement. "I think, in all honesty, that I should retire sometime soon. I need a break from fighting, and besides, I want to find out what I was placed on this earth to do. I have a destiny, Bert, but I've never been given the chance to figure it out. What do you think yours is?"

"My life has always been in Alexandria," he replied with a smile. "It is the only home I have known. My family is very small, and I have set a precedent already by being the first knight in it. I am merely content to serve and protect others, especially those whom I love and trust." Obviously, those last two descriptions had been aimed squarely at Beatrix, but whether or not she picked it up was unknown.

"…Is that really what you want? I don't mean to judge, but is that what really makes you content?"

"Yes."

"I understand. And Steiner--Adelbert, I mean," (he smiled when she called him by name), "I love this job too, I really do. But unlike you, I don't think it's what I was meant to do. It's just that… I feel like there are other things that I could be doing, other places I could be going to, other people that I could see. I… well, it might be false, but I don't think I've ever really known what personal freedom was. I have… never lived out on my own. It was either the circus or here. Do you understand what I am saying?"

"Certainly," he replied. Beatrix looked beautiful in that moment they shared, not that she was otherwise during any other time. Dressed not in the light wear of an Alexandrian General, but instead in a heavy wool sweater and leggings, she continued to exude a gorgeous look. Her hair was still wavy and brown, like liquid wood, just silky and comforting in the grip of a person's hand, and her eyes--both of them, exposed for all to see--were lovely and soft with just a trace of vulnerability to them.

It had been a love that grew and blossomed into a gentle flower, and not having shot up randomly like some unwanted weed--the love these two unlikely yet fitting people shared. Flowers were always more welcome than weeds, and their slow growth into beauty was more appreciated as well.

She had come to him, to a man she could trust with her innermost secrets, and poured heart and soul out in hopes of comfort, consolidation, and council. She came to the right man; Steiner was not always a quick thinker, but he certainly came through for Beatrix whenever she needed him. Some people saw the female General as an indomitable pillar of strength, but she could be just as weak and insufficient as anyone else. Steiner truly was a good conversationalist, once one got past his blocky head and his big mouth. He was as good a confidante as Freya, and in Beatrix's eye, a little bit more attractive (then again, Freya was not exactly a human being).

AND HE DIDN'T REVEL IN TEASING THE POOR WOMAN!!!!!

"Winter is my favorite time of the month," remarked Beatrix suddenly. Steiner eyed her questionably.

"Eh? Why?" She gave him a smile, warm and loving with just a hint of lewdness in it, and kept it at that as the date progressed. She let him figure it out for himself.

-----

Winter days concluded too quickly.

The sun had long ago left the stage, giving way to a long cold night. Instead of flakes of snow, stars covered the air instead, glowing brightly across the universe. Their illumination was best attributed to the magic that was always in the air that time of year: a combination of cold temperatures, falling crystals, smoking chimneys, mistletoe that attracted lovers, songs and dances that gathered good friends, warm drinks and food, a hint of bells, and a time where nights were silent and all was calm. The season of Winter was indeed loved by many, for it was but a beautiful precursor to warmer times, a predecessor to spring and love and life again, and new years, and new people, et cetera.

Zidane and Garnet, after spending much of their day outdoors, came inside to a small but fulfilling dinner, made mostly out of soups, rolls, and a few slices of goose and ham. Everything was devoured, and it was decided that upon the next day, a feast would be held that gathered together the brunt of the monarchs' friends. It was just that time of year, a time to feast with friends, and to gather together, and share stories, and be with each other, and bask warmly in the envelope of peace that the country had worked so hard to achieve.

After dinner, Zidane and Garnet had their baths (separately), and went to bed tired but satisfied. The day had been good, with the single exception of Garnet's brief illness, and perhaps the betrayal incident. Zidane got back at his wife for that, and she apologized and professed that it had all been in good fun, and of course he forgave her by literally kissing and making up. Those two were just plain good for each other, and even Beatrix and Steiner had to admit that they were a great pair. Any remaining doubts had left long before rumors of Iudicium came whispering across the plains.

Zidane and Garnet retired to their room after bathing, both of them dressed in robes and looking quite good after a wash. They embraced and caressed each other, both of them content to look at the one they loved, and a single kiss was placed before they parted.

"Any news from the doc?" asked Zidane as he disrobed. Garnet's face flushed suddenly, and she froze briefly before removing her robe.

"…Actually, yes."

"Is it about that illness?"

"……In a way," she muttered, "but it's not what you think. I… well… it's a strange thing, really…"

"So are you sick or something?" he asked. Garnet shook her head.

"Zidane… do you know what it means when a woman is especially ill in the mornings, and her hormones are a bit… abnormal… and her eating habits become strange?"

"I… really can't say that I do," he admitted. "Why, is there something wrong?"

"No, there's nothing wrong at all," she smiled shyly. "All those symptoms are normal for… well, my 'condition'."

"Condition? Garnet, if you're not sick, then what are you?" She smiled brightly at him, her face turning quite pink, and her heart fluttering just a little bit more. The anticipation was gripping.

"…I'm pregnant."

"Oh, is that all?" Zidane smiled casually, placed his hands on his hips, nodded his head victoriously, and fell over on the bed in a faint.

--------------------

Retirement.

Destiny.

Freedom.

Happiness.

What are these words? What do they mean? What is their purpose? Why do they continue to haunt me so? Why are they invading my mind? And why can I not get them out of my thoughts?

Many years ago, or so it seemed, I dealt with these same issues, but on a much smaller scale. I was going through a change in my life back then--I was going through a metamorphosis. I had just emerged from a war, or at least a small part of it, and I came out with questions on my mind and a weary feeling on my blood-stained hands. "Beatrix the Blood-Stained", eh? Beatrix the Blood-Stained, questioning things that didn't have an answer, and trying to find answers to questions that nobody asked.

I was confused, but perhaps I wanted to deny this confusion. I wanted to believe that the war had been the final act for me, and that once it was all over, I would be left with little else to do except leave the land. I believed that my purpose was served, and that I had no more use in a land so peaceful. Nowadays, I am grateful that I stayed behind. If I had left as I originally intended, what would have become of this kingdom? I would not like to consider it. I don't want to think of what would have happened to Garnet, or Zidane, or Steiner, and I certainly don't want to know what would have happened to Freya. My additional presence here was a blessing… but now…

I now truly believe that we have peace. There has been no rumors of any malice anywhere, and I don't think there's an enemy around that would be foolish enough to attack a kingdom that defeated Kuja, Kyahar Ignus, or Vikar Iudicium. But all that aside, I believe that it really is time for my retirement. I have served this kingdom for half of my life--for half of my life, I have been serving others, and sacrificing my freedom and my desires for other people. Granted, it has been an enjoyable time for me, even during those very dark hours. I could never forget my first introduction to Queen Garnet, who was then just the orphaned child of two unknown summoners. I, as an aspiring knight, was placed to be her personal bodyguard, along with a man called Adelbert Steiner, and through times warm and strict, I loved it all.

I can say that my life was spent well while in the service of Alexandria, and that I have officially earned freedom for the rest of my life. A part of my soul has been sewn into the Alexandrian tapestry, but I feel as if I need to venture out into other cities, other kingdoms, other worlds. I need to do something that General Beatrix Francine de Alexandria would never do. I need to go places she has never seen, and eat foods she never ate, and experience situations that she never had the chance to.

I love this kingdom--in fact, there is nothing here that I don't love. I have even grown fond of Lani and those crazy Tantalus people. They are all precious members of my adopted family! But… as this is my home, one cannot stay in their home forever. One must be allowed to fly free, and to see other skies, and to live life according to their own wishes. I so badly want to be freed…

Steiner, dear Adelbert, has been a very good and patient man concerning my plans and thoughts. He listens like none other, and as always, has given me sound advise to follow. I should like to speak with Freya soon, and the King and Queen as well, and maybe a few others that I trust well enough. I feel, though, that they would support me just as much as Steiner has. This is just such a difficult period in my life, I'm going to need all the help and support I can find.

But first, this piece'a…!

Freya was largely unaware of Beatrix's plans. For the moment, she was standing by herself on one of the hidden balconies that Alexandria castle had, the very same one she attempted suicide on. The view was still spectacular, perhaps more so now that the land was covered in snow and ice. The air was thin and crisp, and stung her lungs and throat just slightly as she breathed it in. It was a great place to relax in privacy, or to simply get a good view of the surrounding land. She was glad that she was in a more cheerful mood to enjoy it, and not so suicidal.

"…Suicidal…" she scoffed under her breath. She grinned, and laughed her darkest hour away, giving way to the famous adage, "One of these days, you're going to look back on this moment and laugh". Laugh she did. That suicidal moment, she figured, had been the catalyst that changed her life around for the better, as well as the life of Beatrix. Everything seemed to focus on that day, or else the day that Beatrix and Steiner finally rebelled against Brahne, or else the day when the two female warriors discovered their past together. Those had been the pivotal turning points for so many people, not just herself or her friend. In any case, the memory was welcomed.

"Such a beautiful view…" sighed Freya as she leaned up against a cold pillar. She had on a light fur coat and her usual dragoon hat, and breeches for her legs, but because of the fur that covered most of her body, she would not need anything heavier--a blessing of being from Burmecia. In this age where war was lacking, it was good to focus her attention on very minor details, such as what she was wearing, and the view from atop a balcony. Too often she got caught up in such large-scale things, and she would forget the smallest and simplest matters that life had to offer. Today was a day of quiet thought, contemplation, philosophy, and lovemaking (she added the last one for fun).

Freya's ears were sensitive, but they didn't hear Beatrix sneaking up. The holy knight smiled mischievously as she approached her friend, and with a single leap, she smacked the back of Freya's shoulders, nearly startling the woman out of her fur.

"Boo!"

"D'uhh!!!" Freya leaped up, turned around, and glared at her closest friend with plenty of rage. Her pulse didn't need to be so high in such a peaceful world. "You immature little brat! How dare you sneak up on me!"

"I can't help it if you don't hear me coming!" chuckled Beatrix. Freya scowled and sighed, but decided to leave the matter alone, as she was still in a relatively good mood.

"What do you want?" she groaned wearily. Beatrix smiled at her friend with love, and chastised her bland comment.

"Now really, Freya, is that any way to greet your lifelong friend?"

"Some friend," muttered Freya. "You take every chance you can to tease me or sneak up on me or… do some other immature thing to me."

"Only because I love you," smiled Beatrix. "Freya, I haven't had a real, genuine friend for most of my life. As much as she wants to, I really can't be friends with Her Majesty, and I think we all know by now that Steiner and I are more than friends. I told you, I don't know how to act around other people. I guess… seeing you just brings out the child in me. You know I don't mean to hurt you…" Beatrix stepped forward and put her hand on Freya's arm, letting her eyes mold into the dragoon's, and smiled. It was terribly hard for Freya to resist such fondness.

"…Don't look at me like that," she sighed. "Beatrix…"

"What?"

"…Nothing. I guess I just sometimes forget about those quirky little conditions of yours."

"Quirky?!"

"Don't I have the right to tease you as well?" smiled Freya coyly. "Admit it, Bea: you don't like your own tricks being used on you." Beatrix grinned happily, and gave her friend a gentle push.

"Shut up! Why are you picking on me? I wanted to have a serious discussion with you!"

"That failed!" snorted Freya. Another push was given unto her.

"Shut UP! You're terrible!"

"I get it from you, dear!"

"Shut UP! Hahahahahahaha!!" Beatrix and Freya broke out in smiles, for no real reason at all, and their friendship was saved from another nasty teasing and jibing war.

Sighing, Beatrix and Freya shared the view together, their arms around each other's shoulders. It truly was a spectacular scene, best shared with good friends and loved ones, and one best suited for peaceful or happy occasions. Death and darkness just didn't suit such a place, yet it was gloom that brought the brightest light of all into the lives of the two women standing there.

"You wanted to talk about something?" said Freya, her tail waving slowly. Beatrix nodded her head.

"Yeah. I've already talked to Steiner about this, but I wanted your opinion as well."

"Hm. Your boyfriend over your best friend, eh?"

"Quiet," hissed Beatrix as she gave Freya a gentle pinch. "Anyway, I've been doing a lot of thinking, ever since I got back. I've been wondering if there's a life for me outside of these castle walls, and I've been heavily considering the chance to see if my thought is correct. It's not like I'm growing tired of the place, I just want to… I dunno, experience real freedom. I… Well…"

"Go on," whispered Freya. "I'm listening." Beatrix smiled. Freya was precious to her, as an earpiece and as a friend. Sure, she could be an annoyance whenever she chose to tease the knight, but it was really all in good fun, a peculiar expression of their love for each other. It signified that they were more like sisters than anything else.

"Thanks. Anyway, Freya… I've been thinking that it's time for me to finally retire from my position. The time is right: we just went through a terrifying war, and this kingdom is peaceful and calm. There are plenty of people around to protect the King and Queen, and I am confident that we have the right people seated on the throne. Zidane and Garnet are young, but they've proven themselves under the harshest circumstances. I have faith in them, faith enough to consider retiring."

Silence.

Freya quietly snuggled a little closer to her friend--perhaps because it was cold, or perhaps because she wanted to demonstrate her support. Maybe both.

"You are serious?"

"Yes, I am. I know this sounds like déjà vu, but this time I genuinely think that it's time for me to leave this kingdom. What do you think?"

"You have most certainly earned it," indicated the mousy woman. "You've done quite a bit for this kingdom, more so than any other person could. You've went above and beyond the call of duty, and you've been so selfless and sacrificing that it's about time you've served yourself. Beatrix, I can't tell you what to do, but if you want my advise… follow your heart. Follow your dreams. Do whatever you feel you should be doing. If you truly feel the need to retire, and venture out there, then I shall support you all the way. You have me as an eternal companion, dear."

Beatrix smiled warmly, and gazed into Freya's face as she declared her dedication to the woman. Precious friends like her were hard to find: those that would follow her anywhere, and be unto her as a pillar or crutch, and accompany her in times of darkness and light… Freya was a rarity, and Beatrix was honored to have such a person as her as a friend. Whereas Freya thought she would not be so strong without Beatrix, it was Beatrix who thought she was weaker without Freya. The two women complimented and completed each other well, just as Steiner and Beatrix completed each other and Freya and Fratley completed each other. It was now impossible to conceive that the two had at one time been the bitterest of enemies, and now they were almost literally inseparable.

"Thank you, dear friend," smiled Beatrix warmly. "You and Steiner are very good to me. I don't deserve such wonderful people in my life… but, oh well." Beatrix grinned, and placed her hand on Freya's cheek. She suddenly leaned in and placed a very brief kiss on the woman's mouth--wherein said woman lurched away and began gagging.

"G'ahh!! Yeuucchh!! Ptooie! Ack, I've been poisoned!"

"Oh, don't be such a big baby!" laughed Beatrix. "That wasn't even a sisterly peck! Dummy!" Freya continued to spit and wipe her mouth, a mixture of anger, confusion, and surprise on her face--mostly anger--and buried her mouth in the snow that had gathered on the rail to really purify herself.

"Blech! Bleah! Gurkk!! Guhh!!"

"Oh, my dear, was it really that bad?" asked Beatrix with genuine concern in her voice. Freya growled and managed to speak through her sleeve.

"No… I just didn't expect you to bloody do it! Jeez! Warn me next time you suddenly go insane!" Beatrix chuckled, and made a genuine vow to alert her friend in case of a sudden attack of mindlessness. "And by the way," added the dragoon, "the next time you're feeling all giddy, why don't you kiss Major Steiner instead? Crazy little girl…"

"I love you too," smiled Beatrix. Freya snorted, and turned around to enter back into the castle. "Oh wait, where are you going? Are you mad at what I did? I'm sorry; I just… well, I guess my mind did slip a little there."

"No… I made too big a deal of it. It was nothing. I guess if it's from you, I don't mind all that much," replied the dragoon. "I'm just going back home, to have hot steamy erotic sex with the man I happen to be married to." Beatrix's face turned rose-red, and now it was her turn to be embarrassed by her friend. Freya, satisfied that she had shamed Beatrix so, tipped her hat and left the balcony--but not before accidentally bumping into Zidane.

"Hey, did somebody here mention sex? Oh, hey Beatrix, Freya! What are you two up to?"

"It's not what you think, highness," sighed Beatrix wearily, noticing the lewd smile he had on. "We're just behaving normally. But what brings you up here, sire?"

"Huh? Oh, uh, I was lookin' for you two. I have some good news for you!"

"What's that?" asked Freya. Zidane grinned, and the tiny dam he had built up to keep the "news" in broke easily and quickly.

"You're not gonna believe this, but in about nine months, I'm gonna be a daddy! That's right! Garnet's pregnant!!!!" The King had an overbearingly-ecstatic look on his face, more blinding than the winter sun, and a smile about three kilometers long stretched out on his face. Beatrix and Freya, who had already divulged "too much information" upon each other as it was, merely gave their friend and liege two faces full of surprise and amazement.

"…It just keeps getting weirder and weirder around here," muttered the dragoon. Beatrix agreed.

"Yup."

To be continued…