Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 20

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 20

 

 

To Selphie's surprise Shukera turned and took off running into the opposite direction as Seifer and Raijin, towards the dormitories. Selphie called to her as she ran after her. "HEY!! What's wrong??"

 

When Selphie caught up to her, she saw her run into her room. She appeared to be crying. Selphie entered her room, looking confused. "What's wrong?? Did I miss something??"

 

Shukera wiped her eyes. "I can't face Raijin tonight. He knows way too much. I never expected to meet him…not in person."

 

Selphie sat down on Shukera's bed and looked up at her. "What ever it is Shukera, you can trust Raijin fully. I know he may look all tough and stuff, but he really is a good person." She stood up, walked up behind Shukera and placed her hand on her shoulder. "And you can trust me. I can tell you that Raijin doesn't know who his friend is anymore and he's gotten to the point where he doesn't like him much. You know, I hate seeing his heart cut out by those two like that. Seifer knows that Raijin loves Fujin, yet he goes out of his way to rub it in his face that she loves him. He…really could use some cheering up, ya know."

 

Shukera laughed at Selphie's imitation of him. "Yeah, I guess, especially since he's around Seifer all the time." Shukera sighed, "Personally, I think Raijin hangs around them because of Fujin. I think he believes he's protecting her or something."

 

Selphie sat down in a chair and leaned forward, placing her hands in her lap. "So I take it Raijin told you about her. Feel honored; he doesn't talk about it much. I'm surprised he even told you."

 

Shukera turned around to face Selphie, holding Seifer's picture in her hand. "That's probably because he was like me and never thought he would actually meet me face to face." Shukera stared down at Seifer's picture as her emotions became mixed up, confusion gripping her once again. She rubbed her head with her free hand as her head pounded. Seifer's eyes haunted her in a strange way. She thought about it as she wondered why she hated him so much. Then the memory of Reno's kiss flashed through her mind, making her even angrier. Out of frustration she threw Seifer's picture against the wall and the glass shattered upon impact. Angrily she shouted, "I don't have time for this!!!"

 

The shattering glass made Selphie jump. For a moment, fear flashed across her face, but it quickly passed. She asked full of concern now for Shukera's mental state. "Time for what??" It was something she heard the girl say more than once now…

 

Shukera stopped and forced a smile on her face. "Sorry, I was just thinking out loud." She ran a hand through her hair and shook her head. "That ass Seifer makes me so damned mad!!!"

 

Selphie laughed, "That introduction was rather amusing!! I can't wait to see you two fight during training!!" She was back to her perky self.

 

Shukera nodded, "Yeah, I must say, it will be rather interesting. And having that bitch for an instructor, man I'm just so looking forward to classes now!!"

 

Selphie laughed, "I know what you mean!! You know I have been thinking. You will see Raijin tonight at the party. I think, you should just tell him the truth. Tell him who you are. I think he really could use a friend right now."

 

Shukera began to brush her hair when she heard a knock at her door. She sighed, dropping her hand holding the brush to her side and went to answer the door. She swung it open to see Sephiroth standing there looking rather somber. Shukera rolled her eyes as she spat angrily, "The hell you doing here??"

 

Sephiroth gazed at her, his eyes pleading for forgiveness. "I'm really sorry for what ever I did to make you distance yourself from me. I can't deal with this anymore. Being here without being able to talk to you is very uncomfortable to me. I don't have you to talk to and Quistis is driving me up a wall with all that constant rambling!"

 

Looking down at the floor, Shukera shook her head, sick of his babbling. Finally she looked up at him, not believing a word that was coming out of his mouth. "You have Quistis now to confide in!! She's all over you like a rug on a floor!!"

 

He shook his head and tried to play it off, but annoyed that she wasn't taking the bait. He lowered his voice for effect, "I don't trust her or this Seifer guy! Shukera he gives me the creeps every time I see him!! He's really after you, I'd be careful if I was you."

 

Shukera laughed at Sephiroth, amused by his attitude. "So that's what this is all about!! Don't worry that white headed hair of yours; nothing will happen between Seifer and I. We hate each other!! We can't even stand to be in the same room with each other!! Does that make you happy Sephiroth?? Isn't that what you came here to hear me say?!"

 

Sephiroth sighed, fighting hard the urge to burst out in laughter. "I came here to ask you…" He paused for effect. "If you would go to the party with me tonight."

 

Shukera blinked, not sure if what she heard what he actually said. After choosing her words carefully, she spat, "I'm not interested in going to the party with you. I am here to meet the people of this place and I can't do it when I'm attached to your side. Shin Ra sent me here to learn about these people so we can help them, that's what I intend to do. Our friendship is dying Sephiroth…incase you haven't noticed!"

 

Sephiroth's eyes watered as he forced himself to cry, "All I know is our friendship means everything to me Shukera. The truth is, I can't make it without you. You have been there for me for the past seven years. How can you throw that away, everything we shared over someone you don't even know?? I miss you terribly Shukera. I miss having you around."

 

Shukera wasn't buying it for one minute. The fact that he was patronizing her filled her with annoyance. She narrowed her eyes and spat, "Then get used to it!! Go tell Quistis, I'm sure she would love to hear it!!! I'm sure that news would make her day!!!" Shukera slammed the door in his face, the sound echoed through the empty hallway.


Sephiroth shouted through the door, "I'm sorry Shukera!! I don't know what else to do!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I DID!!!" When he saw that she wasn't going to open her door; he turned and walked away quietly, holding his hand over his mouth to conceal his laughter. His eyes watered from the urge to burst out laughing. Anyone who passed him in the hallway would have thought he was crying.

 

When everything got quiet, Shukera opened her door and peered out down the hallway to make sure he was gone. Sighing, she shut the door and threw her hands in the air in utter defeat. For a moment, she forgot that Selphie was in the room and spat out loud, "Stupid bastard don't realize I know the truth!!! I know it all!!!! Damn…I have to do something or these people here…" She suddenly began sobbing out of frustration and anger. She cried so hard that her body began to a shake.

 

Selphie walked over to her and placed her hand on Shukera's shoulder. Startled, Shukera looked up. Selphie smiled, "Hey, are you alright Shukera??"

 

Shukera quickly jumped to her feet and wiped her eyes. "It's nothing really. Nothing you should be concerned about." She turned away from her and wiped her eyes again with her hand.