Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 24

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 24

 

 

From his seat, Sephiroth watched the whole scene. He narrowed his eyes as he stared at Shukera on the dance floor with Raijin and the others; the feeling that she was up to something crept into his mind. Next to Sephiroth sat Quistis who was rattling on about nothing important. He just nodded here and there, giving the impression he was listening.

 

On the dance floor, Shukera had the feeling of being watched. She turned towards the area Sephiroth was sitting in and spotted him staring at her. Quistis saw Sephiroth staring off into the distance and she followed his directing of sight. There she saw Shukera staring back at Sephiroth. Her expression changed as she glared at Shukera full of jealousy.

 

Shukera glared back at her and for a moment their gazes locked. Suddenly, Shukera detected something in Quistis' eyes that made a cold chill travel down her spine. Selphie spoke to Shukera and repeated her question three times before she realized that she was not listening. Shukera just stood there staring, remembering what Selphie had said earlier. Then it dawned on her what it was that Selphie was talking about when she said something about Quistis made her think of Sephiroth and Seifer.

 

Quistis smirked and leaned over toward Sephiroth. As she did she pulled him towards her and gave him a deep passionate kiss. Shukera blinked as memories filled her mind of her friend's kiss. An overwhelming sense of confusion gripped her heart; her emotions raced through her making her feel lightheaded. In her mind she screamed, "What's happening to me?!?!" The inward shout shattered her thoughts and once again she regained her composure. Slowly she turned to the side to find Selphie, Irvine, and Raijin staring at her.

 

Everything around Shukera began closing in on her. Everywhere she looked people were pointing at her and laughing. Shukera closed her eyes tightly as she slipped away from Raijin. She backed away from them and opened her eyes. Everything was back to normal. When she looked over at Selphie, she saw the image of the baby staring at her through dead innocent eyes.

 

Shukera gasped for breath as she turned away from them and ran towards the balcony. Outside on the balcony, Shukera leaned against the railing and looked at the ocean.

 

Seeing the blue water below, the way the moon reflected brightly, and the waves mulling along gently, brought tears to her eyes. Suddenly she flashed back to the times of her and her best friends back home, a time when she was much younger. The memory left her with a tremendous feeling of loss inside.

 

Shukera backed up till she reached the wall, closed her eyes tightly, and slid to the floor. Everything was seriously out of control. She couldn't comprehend what she was feeling and it stirred turmoil inside her.

 

Raijin felt concerned and followed her outside. When he found her he sat next to her. His voice grabbed her attention when he spoke, "So, when are you going to tell that long white headed guy how you feel about him?"

 

Anger flashed in Shukera's eyes as she snapped, "Sephiroth!?!? I have no feelings for Sephiroth! That sorry son-of-a-bitch!! Have you lost your mind?? You must be crazy!! I have as much feelings for him as I do Seifer!!"

 

Raijin's eyes widened when she started shouting at him. He held his hands up and protested, "Whoa! Sorry! I didn't mean to upset you. I just thought that's what you were upset about, ya know." He looked at Shukera, his eyes filled with concern. "You became pale when you saw them kissing, ya know. I thought he hurt you."

 

Shukera snapped, "NO! Believe me; it has nothing to do with him!!" She quickly looked away from him, avoiding his eyes. "It's something completely different. I think…I made a mistake and I know I will never get the chance to right it." She looked up at Raijin as a tear ran down her cheek. "There's someone back home, a friend of mine. Before I left he really shocked me by telling me how he felt, then he kissed me."

 

Raijin laughed, "So, what's the problem?"

 

Shukera cried, "I feel like I'm never going to see him again! I never felt this kind of thing before! It's like knowing someone is going to die before they do…sorta." She looked away as she continued; "He is putting his life in danger because of me." She trailed off and began sobbing. "I'm really torn inside and I don't understand!! I never had to deal with things like this! It's driving me crazy!!"

 

Raijin felt bad for her. He reached out and put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her against him as she cried.

 

From the shadows, Quistis grinned deviously. She smirked as she made her way to Sephiroth and slipped her arm through his. "Let's go to the balcony. The view is spectacular." Together, arm and arm, they walked out to the balcony.

 

The moon shined brightly over the water, filling the waves with its silvery reflection. The image was breathtaking. Sephiroth stood motionless as he stared at the scene. There was something almost tranquil in it. He was losing himself in the scenery when he heard the sound of someone crying. Curious, he followed the sound to find Shukera crying in Raijin's arms and caught the last thing Shukera said, "I just can't forget what he did. I don't understand why I miss him so much." Raijin replied, "Then why don't you tell him yourself. I think you need to tell him." Sephiroth ducked behind the decorative wall and listened in.

 

Shukera parted from Raijin and looked up. From the shadows she saw slight movement. She narrowed her eyes as she slowly stood up. Sephiroth stepped from the shadows with a strange look on his face. As usual, behind him came Quistis. She smirked when she saw Raijin and Shukera. "My, my, aren't we getting cozy?? I see you move on pretty quickly. You know there are names for people like you."

 

Shukera spat as her eyes stared at her angrily, "There's a difference between you and I. Raijin actually wants me around, you just follow Sephiroth where ever he goes like a bitch in heat!! And Raijin is not out to use me, so I would say that makes him a better man then Sephiroth will ever be!!"

 

Quistis placed her hand on her hip and rolled her eyes, "Please!! Don't make me laugh!!"

 

Shukera ignored her as she glared at Sephiroth, "Better take your dog out for a walk before she pisses on the floor!!!" She turned her back to them and stared past Raijin's shoulder out into the night.

 

Sephiroth grinned; his plan was working like a charm. He took Quistis by the hand and smiled down at her, "Don't waste your breath on Shukera. She knows what she is, don't bother reminding her." He glared past Quistis at Shukera as he added, "She will regret it sooner or later." His scowl expression changed to that of a devious grin as he walked back into the Quad with her.

 

The tone in his voice made Shukera quiver. She knew exactly what he was doing…threatening her. From the looks of things, he now had Quistis wrapped around his finger…it would be a matter of time before he decided to move on to Seifer. Time was running out…she had to do something and soon.

 

Raijin laughed, "I was waiting for you to draw your sword and slash her right here."

 

Shukera grinned, "Lucky for her my sword was left in my room." She pointed her finger at Raijin teasingly, "Don't make that mistake again!"

 

Raijin laughed, "Don't worry, I won't, ya know."

 

Shukera's smile faded from her lips as she looked at the ground. Sephiroth's attitude bothered her deeply. "I'm still worried about my friend. Maybe, I should just turn myself in to Shin Ra so no one will get hurt."

 

Raijin shook his head, "No that would only make matters worse, ya know. Your friend could get killed trying to rescue you, ya know."

 

Shukera nodded, "Yeah, I just have the feeling that he's going to do something stupid. I know all the people who are working with the group are in danger. If anything happens to them, it would be my fault. And my friend…" It was no secret about her past friendship with Reno. With Sephiroth's attitude…she worried about him doing something to Reno. Suddenly Shukera began to question all the injuries Reno suffered when he went out on missions. Could Sephiroth have had something to do wit it?? None of it made sense.

 

She sighed deeply, "I'm so confused that I don't know what's up or down and that's not helping the situation. There are so many strange things going on inside my head that I can't comprehend. And that friend of yours makes me so mad!!! I come here, leave everything behind so I can protect him! He's another sorry son-of-a-bitch!!"

 

Raijin snickered, "I have a pretty good idea of what's happening to you Shukera, ya know."

 

Shukera shook her head; "I don't even want to think about it now. I don't have time for this! Let's go back into the party and dance or something. I always feel my best when I'm dancing or fighting."

 

Raijin folded his arms and looked at her, "That's because you don't have to deal with what's going on inside you, ya know. I think you are torn between your friend at home and…Seifer."

 

Shukera spun around and looked at Raijin hatefully, "DON'T EVER MAKE THAT MISTAKE AGAIN EITHER!!! I DON'T FEEL ANYTHING TOWARDS HIM!!! GOT IT!! AND SINCE WHEN DID MY FEELINGS BECOME SO IMPORTANT ANYWAY!!" Shukera caught herself and looked away from Raijin. "I…I'm…sorry. I…need some time…to clear my head." She turned away from him, "I…have to…go." Shukera ran through the Quad, out into the hallway, and all the way back to her room.

 

Raijin felt dumbfounded. He raced after her, only to be stopped by Seifer. "Blew your chances with her, huh? What did you say to her? She was running through here, looking like Doomtrain."

 

Raijin shoved Seifer away from him, "It's none of your business, ya know!"

 

Seifer laughed, blowing him off completely, "Taking up for her already, that's something."

 

Raijin shook his head, "Shukera don't need your foolishness Seifer! So leave her alone, ya know!"

 

Seifer's smile faded from his lips as he stared at Raijin. "Are you warning me?? I could have sworn that was a warning!"

 

Sephiroth walked up to them and pointed his finger forcefully at Raijin, "This is not your business! You are getting in over your head!! Leave Shukera alone!!" Sephiroth didn't want anyone getting in the way of his plans and Raijin was sticking his nose where he didn't belong. He knew he would have to deal with the guy if he continued this pursuit of Shukera. "Leave her alone or you will be sorry!!"

 

Seifer laughed loudly, making everyone who was standing near by to turn and look at them. Quistis fumed inside as she watched Sephiroth defend Shukera. Seifer saw the look on her face and snickered, "Better watch it Sephiroth, you know what they say. Play with fire and you're gonna get burned. She can be dangerous when crossed."

 

Sephiroth glanced at Seifer then turned back to Raijin and added as a warning, "I can also be dangerous when crossed!! Better get that through your head punk!"

 

Seifer glanced between Sephiroth and Raijin. "Yeah, so leave her alone!" Fujin didn't like what was going on and she quickly pulled Seifer away. "WE GO!"

 

Sephiroth watched Seifer leave and turned away from Raijin. It was time for him to depart as well. He knew he had to think of something to keep Raijin away from Shukera, he was becoming a threat now. Sephiroth stood silently next to Quistis and glanced towards the other See Ds in the room as he narrowed his eyes. "Humph, you people just don't get it!" He turned and walked away. The people there were all too damned nosy for his liking. He pressed his lips together into a thin line and made his way back to Quistis. Together, they walked out the door.

 

Raijin stood there looking dumbfounded. Sephiroth just warned him to stay away from Shukera and Seifer seemed to agree with him.

 

Selphie ran up to Raijin as she held a look of concern on her face. She frowned as she tapped the bottom of her boots with her fingers. "What was that all about??"

 

Raijin stood with his arms folded, looking rather pissed as watched them leave until they disappeared out the door. "He is such an asshole lately, ya know!!" He faced Selphie and shrugged, "I don't know. I was outside talking to Shukera and Sephiroth and Quistis walked up. There was an exchange of words, which end rather quickly, then Shukera turned on me. Next thing I know Sephiroth is in my face warning me to stay away from Shukera." He scratched the back of his head, "This is really strange, ya know."

 

Selphie agreed, "Yeah, something really weird is going on here. I think I'm going to have a talk with Squall about this."

 

Raijin sighed, "No don't. Let's try to get more information before we bring it to anyone's attention, ya know. I'm sure Shukera knows what she's doing. For now, let's…keep this between us ok?? I think it's better that way for now, ya know."

 

Selphie nodded and whispered, "Right and I'll keep an eye on Quistis for you guys."

 

Raijin yawned, "Well, I'm going. See you tomorrow, ya know." He walked towards the exit of the Quad and retired to his dorm.

 

Selphie rejoined the others and forced a smile on her face, which was harder than she thought it would be. Quistis and Seifer acting strangely, Sephiroth and Seifer threatening Raijin…it was all too strange for her.