Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 29

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 29

 

 

Three months later, after many debates and numerous times of Quistis trying to embarrass Shukera and it back firing on her, she became frustrated. She slammed her hands on Shukera's desk, leaned forward and stared hatefully into Shukera's eyes. "You think you know so damned much about this, you teach this class!!"

 

Shukera casually shrugged, "OK." She stood up in front of the class and immediately erased the board.

 

Selphie and Raijin traded a glance. Both of them noticed how Quistis' behavior was getting worse as time passed. Everyone around Balamb Garden, including the Trepies, was talking about how abrasive she had gotten recently. Squall started to question her change in attitude. He made notes of everything that happened in the classes and decided to have a meeting with headmaster Cid about it.

 

Shukera thought for a moment, then began, "Your battle techniques are way too passive. If a major force was to invade your garden, you would fall here." Shukera pointed to the classroom area. "And here." She pointed to the Quad. "The balcony gives the enemy perfect advantage point. They can land there without anyone even knowing they are there. You have too many points that are vulnerable to attack."

 

Squall nodded, he was familiar with that scene. It was where Galbadia hit them the hardest during their attack.

 

Quistis folded her arms and rolled her eyes, "I don't see where that makes any difference at all!"

 

Squall lifted an eyebrow and turned to Quistis. He held an edge to his voice as he replied, "Shukera's right. Galbadia almost destroyed us because they attacked us head on in those two areas. We were not prepared for their break in into the classroom. We were concentrated in the front gate and the Quad."

 

During this time, Shukera drew a diagram on the board, which contained shooters and people with long-range weapons around those areas. At the entrance gates she placed people with short-range weapons in the front and long ranged in the back as a back up. When she was done she faced Quistis. "That is how your defenses should be set up."

 

Quistis shrugged, "Well, that's impossible cause we have no one with those weapon capabilities."

 

Shukera placed the marker back on the metal tray under the board and folded her arms. "I think it's time that you get some cadets with those types of weapons. Not every war can be won with a sword or a whip."

 

Squall stared at the picture for a moment. "We could have used you here about three years ago."

 

Seifer laughed, which surprised everyone. "Yeah, I'm glad you were not here!! Galbadia would never have had a chance with that strategy!"

 

Shukera faced Seifer, her surprise clearly shown on her face. He caught her totally off guard. Quistis sighed and stormed out of the classroom.

 

Raijin laughed, "Ohh someone is a bit upset, ya know."

 

Shukera smiled at Raijin then turned back towards Seifer. Squall moved next to Rinoa and whispered, "Something strange is going on here. I'm going to find out what it is." He walked to the front of the class and nodded, "Thank you Shukera. Everyone, class dismissed until 1300 hours." He turned back towards Shukera, "I think your final test should be postponed."

 

Seifer stood up as students began filing out of the room, snickering and chattering on about what happened. "I've been waiting for this test. It's my test too you know. Come on Leonheart, let us do this test!" He smirked as he added, "Unless Shukera needs more time to practice."

 

Shukera glared at him, "I don't need any practice!" She stuck her finger in his face as she spat, "You better be there and ready to work!!! Or maybe, you need time to brush up!"

 

The others paused and watched the exchange back and forth between them. Seifer snapped, "You are such a bitch Shukera!!! You think you are better than me??!"

 

Shukera spat back, "You made me act that way towards you!!! You are so damned egotistical!! Your ego is so big; I'm surprised you can fit through the door without destroying the walls!!"

 

Squall cut Seifer off before he could say anything else. "Cut it out!! Save it for the test on the practice field!! Be there after lunch!! And if there is any further confrontation between you two before then, the test is cancelled!! Got it!!" He looked at Seifer, then to Shukera. Both of them nodded. Seifer turned away from them and walked out the door with Fujin not to far behind.

 

Shukera shrugged, "Yeah, whatever." She joined Raijin at his desk.

 

Squall placed his hand on his forehead and sighed deeply. "They are worse then Seifer and I when we were younger!" He faced Shukera, "Remember what I said!" He walked out of the classroom and up to Cid's office.

 

Rinoa, Selphie, Irvine, Raijin and Shukera walked together to the cafeteria. The students in the hall were buzzing about the big test between Seifer and Shukera. They continued to chatter on about what happened in the classroom between Quistis and Shukera. Shukera was still amazed at how fast news traveled in that place.

 

When they entered the cafeteria, Fujin spotted them, lowered her head and walked out. Shukera tapped Raijin on the arm and motioned for him to look her way. "I think Fujin is sad about something. She's alone right now, I think you should go and talk to her." Raijin nodded and ran after Fujin.

 

News had traveled quickly through out Balamb Garden and it seemed that everyone gathered by the practice field for Shukera and Seifer's test. The number of people who came to watch the fight surprised squall. He sighed, "This is supposed to be a test!!"

 

Sephiroth watched in the back of the crowd with his arms folded. Quistis stood next to him in a similar manner.

 

Shukera stood with her sword in her hand waiting for Seifer. She glanced at Raijin who gave her a thumb up notion. She laughed and shook her head. Raijin always made her laugh.

 

Moments later Seifer showed up. He walked through the crowd making his grand entrance with his gunblade on his shoulder and Fujin at his side. He walked up to Shukera and smirked. "I hope you are ready." Fujin backed away from Seifer and joined Raijin. She looked up at him and he looked back at her. They turned and walked away from the practice area.

 

Selphie was relieved to see them finally talking. Her attention shifted to the practice field as she smiled and leaned against Irvine. "This is going to be sooo good!!!" She jumped up and down as she shouted, "Kick his butt Shukera!!!! Whooo hooo!!! Smack him the ground!!!"

 

Shukera shook her head and faced Seifer. He smirked at her as he replied sarcastically, "Bring it on, if you think you can handle it!!"

 

Quistis left Sephiroth's side and walked on to the practice field. "This is your final test before the See D exam. Seifer, Shukera do the best you can and…." She couldn't find any words of encouragement for either of them. She just waved them off and left the practice field.

 

Squall sighed and walked up to them. "Just keep it fair, Almassy! Try not to kill him, Shukera." He nodded to both of them. "Begin!" Squall left the practice field and watched from the side.

 

Immediately Shukera and Seifer went after each other, blades in hand. Metal clashing against metal sounded through out the area as they went head to head. Sparks emitted several times from their weapons as they clanged together. Seifer charged Shukera with determination to defeat her. He had waited for this battle for a long time and he wasn't about to let her get the best of him! Shukera charged back with power and strength. It was time for Seifer to be shut down.

 

In the start of the fight, Seifer had trouble keeping up with Shukera. Several times she backed him into a corner, which every time he came back fighting stronger.

 

The students on the sidelines cheered them on excitedly as they went back and forth. Some where along the way the test had turned into a battle of sides so to speak. The garden became torn as some cheered on Seifer and others cheered on Shukera.

 

Seifer cornered Shukera by a tree, but she did a back flip off the tree and kicked him into it after she landed behind him. Seifer became enraged as he spun around to face her. She stood mocking him with her sword on her shoulder, similar to his stance. "Come on Mr. Accomplished fighter!! You can do better than that, I'm sure! Can't you??"

 

Seifer held his gunblade, glaring at her with eyes filled with deep hatred. He sneered, "I'm warning you!! Don't piss me off!!" Shukera raised an eyebrow, "Is this the part where I'm supposed to be scared??"

 

He lunged at her full force. She jumped away with ease. Seifer was fighting out of rage and could not land a hit on her. About a half an hour later, Seifer stopped and smirked. He hit Shukera with an unexpected magic spell that dazed her. By the time she came to, Quistis was behind her. Shukera went to strike at Seifer, but Quistis snapped her whip and wrapped it around Shukera's wrist. Shukera quickly wrapped the whip around her hand and pulled on it hard. Quistis was pulled forward and stumbled to the ground. Everyone around them laughed at her.

 

Quistis quickly stood back on her feet and glared at Shukera, with her whip in her hand. Shukera laughed casually, "Ok! I will just fight the both of you then." Every time Quistis would strike at Shukera she would move out the way and Seifer would get hit instead. That went on for about 5 times, till Seifer had enough. Seifer shouted, "WHY DON'T YOU WATCH WHERE THE HELL YOU ARE SWINGING THAT DAMNED PIECE OF SHIT!!!"

 

He casted another magic spell that knocked Shukera out long enough for Quistis to get behind her and hold her arms to her back. Shukera regained her bearings in time to see Seifer charging at her. When he was close enough to her, she jumped up with both feet and kicked him in the chest, knocking him backward. She threw her feet down and flipped Quistis over her shoulder, throwing her down on top of Seifer.

 

They fought each other trying to get up, looking like something out of a comedy. Everyone laughed till Quistis and Seifer were once again on their feet. Shukera shouted at Seifer, "THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE BETWEEN YOU AND ME SEIFER!! ARE YOU THAT WEAK THAT YOU HAD TO GET QUISTIS TO HELP YOU?!?!"

 

Squall jumped in and grabbed Quistis' arm. "What has gotten in to you?!?! You know you are not supposed to interfere with training!!!"

 

Quistis pulled her arm away from Squall forcefully. She scowled as she stuck her finger in his face, "You don't know what you just did!!!" She turned and stormed away from him angrily.

 

Shukera and Seifer started fighting again with Quistis out of the way. After about an hour of fighting, Seifer stuck his sword into the ground and smirked, as he held his hand out to Shukera. "Alright, you win." She just nodded and turned away from him with her sword on her shoulder. He shouted after her, "You are not even going to shake my hand?!"

 

Shukera stopped and glared at him, "I don't trust you." She turned away from him and began walking off once more.

 

Seifer shouted, "You know you are showing everyone here how cold you can be!!!" Shukera ignored him and kept walking away.

 

Seifer knew the right buttons to push to edge her on. Smirking, he replied casually, "I STILL THINK YOU GOT WHAT YOU DESERVED FROM SEPHIROTH!!!"

 

Shukera turned around and charged Seifer much more aggressively. Her eyes burned with rage as she charged him at full force. Seifer backed away from her and tripped over a tree stump. She held her sword above her head, fixing to strike him with it.

 

Raijin and Fujin stood off in the distance talking. When they heard the crowd fall to a hush, he knew something was wrong. Suddenly the crowd began shouting at Shukera to stop. Raijin grabbed Fujin's arm and rushed over to the practice field. Everyone was shouting Shukera's name when Raijin and Fujin burst on to the field. He spotted Shukera with her sword over her head, poised to strike down at Seifer. As if in slow motion, Raijin jumped to grab Shukera's hand as she was bringing down the sword upon Seifer. Fujin jumped in front of Seifer.

 

Raijin wrapped his hand around Shukera's wrist and shouted at both of them. "YOU TWO HAVE TO STOP THIS SHIT NOW, YA KNOW!!" He glared at Seifer, "YOU ALWAYS PUSH PEOPLE TOO FAR, YA KNOW!! WHAT THE HELL DID YOU TELL HER THIS TIME?!?!"

 

Squall and Selphie ran up to them. Selphie cried, still shaken by the sudden turn of events. "He made a comment about what happened between Sephiroth and Shukera."

 

Raijin glared at Seifer, "PROBABLY A CONTINUATION OF THE FIGHT THEY HAD A WHILE BACK!!

 

Fujin turned to face Seifer. "Is that true??" He just sat where he fell and looked at the ground. She yelled, "ANSWER ME DAMN IT!! IS IT TRUE?!?!"

 

Seifer sighed and shook his head. Fujin stood up from him and ran away, tired of the crap between him and Shukera. Raijin turned around and faced Seifer as he stood to his feet. Without a word, he drew back his fist and slammed it into Seifer's jaw. Seifer looked up at him in surprise; his mouth began bleeding from his now split lip.

 

Raijin shouted as he poked his finger into Seifer's chest, "THAT'S FOR TREATING FUJIN THE WAY YOU DO!!!"

 

Shukera just picked up her sword and turned away from them. As far as she was concerned the test was done. She had other things to attend to now.

 

Seifer shouted after her, "You are just going to let him do that??"

 

Knowing he would only continue to badger her about it, she paused and turned around. "Yes. Then he might knock some sense into you! I'm sorry Seifer, but you have been nothing but mean and hateful to me since I have gotten here!" She turned and began walking away again.