Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 39

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 39

 

 

The soldier first Soldier began, "You see, when Shukera was Commander of Soldier she had everyone's respect, especially the ones who knew her from before she took over as Commander. The six of us trained with Shukera from the time she joined the group." He smiled proudly as he continued, "Soldier became something we were proud to be part of when she was commander. We no longer felt like the thugs that Shin Ra tried to make us in to. But soon, Scarlet and Rufus became jealous of her and the way she brought Soldier together. She managed to get us better quarters, food, training, and equipment. Out of everything she had taught us, the most important was self-respect and being true to ourselves. We became human beings under her command instead of killing machines that Sephiroth had made us in to. We have self-worth, self-pride, and something to keep us going." He smiled at her as he added, "We will never forget what she did for us. The one's who served under her command will never fight against her. We respect her highly."

 

Shukera sat there in a state of pure shock. She tried to speak but her voice cracked emotionally. "I never know you guys felt that way about me. I thought you all hated me."

 

Selphie smiled and nudged Shukera, "Yep! That's how Shukera is!"

 

Barett waved his gunarm, "We're gonna fight Shin Ra `gain. Wanna join us??"

 

Suddenly the six guys jumped up and stripped out of their uniforms revealing the clothes underneath. They grabbed their own weapons and waved them around. "If you are going to fight Shin Ra then so are we!!"

 

Shukera stood up and faced Cloud and Squall. They nodded approvingly silently and she faced the ex-soldiers. "Welcome aboard!! We're glad to have you!!"

 

They saluted her. "Thank you Commander Shukera."

 

Shukera waved her hand. "Hey, come on, drop the formalities!! We are not in soldier anymore. Just call me Shukera." Her face flushed with embarrassment.

 

The head of the six spoke up. "We know you are the rebel leader Shin Ra has been searching for. We have known for a long time."

 

Shukera looked at him curiously, "How did you know??"

 

He chuckled as he added; "We've known all along that if anyone could bring down Shin Ra for good that it would be you and Avalanche. That's the only reason we stayed in Soldier for so long. We knew this day would come and waited for it patiently. We haven't introduced ourselves. I'm Harris." He motioned to the others, "These are my friends Brock, Kantra, Ryu, Solu, and Destin."

 

Solu shook his head, "There are others out there like us who are on your side, but sadly, there's a lot more who are against you."

 

Ryu added, "There's chaos among the ranks ever since this Quistis woman took over. Her and Scarlet, along with Reeve, Rufus, Reno, Hojo and Gardian are trying to hold Shin Ra together."

 

Shukera's eyes widened when she didn't hear Sephiroth's name. "So…where's Sephiroth??"

 

The six of them glanced at each other but said nothing. Shukera narrowed her eyes; "Come on he was in Balamb with me then left with that Quistis bitch to come here!! Where the hell is he??"

 

Harris shrugged, "We were not going to tell you…but, he put out an order through the ranks for your…" He lowered his eyes; it was too hard for him to say. After watching Shukera and Sephiroth for years, he never thought this day would come. He regained his composure and added, "He's going to kill you Shukera."

 

Shukera shook her head; she expected to hear that sooner or later. She drew in a deep breath and replied, "We are going to Junon. I know we can find answers to some of these questions there." She turned to face the ex-Soldiers. "I want you guys to go ahead of us and gather everyone who is with you out of Junon and away from that area. We'll meet in the Ancient Forest in about 12 hours."

 

Harris smiled, "Alright! Finally some action!!"

 

Ryu added, "We won't let you down Commander Shukera."

 

Shukera went to protest but Squall stopped her. "Don't. They believe in you and they respect you highly. To them it's an honor." Shukera looked at him for a long silent moment before she nodded, "I guess you are right…"

 

The group began making their way back to the airship, leaving the deserted camp behind. Shukera fell back from the others as she thought about what she overheard.

 

 

Raijin walked next to her and asked, "What's on your mind? And don't you dare tell me nothing, cause I can see it, ya know."

 

Shukera shoved her hands into her pockets, "They said…Seifer is on Sephiroth's side. He…lied to us…." She sighed, "I let him down."

 

Raijin stopped, wrapped his arms around Shukera, and held her while she rested her head against his chest. She thought about the kiss Seifer and her shared and the uncomfortable feeling returned to her. Shukera forced the thought from her mind and allowed herself to relax against Raijin for only a moment. In his arms she felt comfortable and safe. Through all this Seifer's ring layed against her skin…somehow it felt cold to her. Finally she looked up at Raijin. "Thanks. You always seem to know when I need comforting."

 

Raijin laughed and looked at her, "Ah well, its good to know that I'm good for something, ya know."

 

Shukera smiled feeling better than she did before. "Thanks Raijin, you're a good friend."

 

From behind a tree Selphie watched Shukera with Raijin and raised her eyebrows. Snickering she snuck away and joined the others. Shukera parted from Raijin and walked up to Harris when she returned. Now it was time to get serious. "I'm placing you in charge of getting the others out of Junon." She offered them a smile and gave them thumbs up, "This is what we have been working towards all along!! Go out there and make me proud!!"

 

Harris turned and waved the other five along. "Let's go!! We have a job to do!!!" He ran off with them as they shouted, "NO MORE SHIN RA!!!"

 

Shukera laughed a bit as she watched them disappear into the darkness. "They never changed. Junon is in for it that's for sure!!"

 

Barett became impatient and waved his gunarm. "HEY!! Whatta we waitin for??" He waved them on, "Let's go!!! They are not going to hold Seifer safely for ever!!!"