Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 55

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 55

 

 

Rinoa stepped forward and spread her arms out to her side as wings formed from her back. "Nothing is ever what it seems failure." She rose above them with her arms out stretched. "Come my children, come to your mother."

 

Scarlet's form became surrounded in an orange aura and she began to change. Next to her Reeve's body became almost transparent as he merged with Scarlet. Across the room Seifer reached his hand out to Fujin. The both of them became surrounded in a light blue aura and merged together forming an arm.

 

Reno grinned at Cloud as he became surrounded by a red aura. Right before Tifa and Cloud's eyes, Reno transformed into something they couldn't even recognize and merged with Rinoa.

 

Cloud backed away from him dumbfounded, placing his body protectively before Tifa. "What the fuck???"

 

Selphie joined Irvine and Raijin with Zell and Yuffie. Together they watched the scene that unfolded before them. Elena and T-seng held on to each other and backed away horrified.

 

Just then Cid, Vincent, and Barett burst into the room and stopped. Cid's eyes grew wide as he asked, "What the hell is that???" They joined Cloud as they continued to watch the monster transforming.

 

Nanaki shook his head sadly, "It's Jenova, there's no mistaken her form!!" He cocked his head to the side, "yet she appears much stronger now." He looked up at Cloud as he replied, "We must fight it!!"

 

Cloud nodded and looked back at Jenova. "Yes, let's waste this bitch!!!"

 

Squall looked between Cloud, his friends, and Jenova. He knew Rinoa was inside Jenova somewhere and if they were to fight it, she might be killed. He lifted his gunblade and faced Cloud.

 

"I can't let you do it!!! Rinoa…she's inside!!"

 

Selphie stomped her foot at Squall, "We can't let Jenova have her either!!! Maybe if we fight, we can restore them to normal?? I don't know but it's the risk we have to take!!"

 

From in the middle of the room a sickening grayish light emitted where Jenova slowly reconstructed herself. Now she had enough power to return to her original form when she destroyed the ancients. With both the white and black materia gone from the planet, there was nothing that could defeat her. Basking in her glory, feeding off the energy of Scarlet, Reno, Rinoa, Fujin, Reeve and Seifer, she raised her limbs to the ceiling.

 

When the light cleared a beautiful woman with long flowing bluish hair stood in the middle of the room. She had 4 wings on her back, which made a large X. Her eyes were deep lavender, her arms slender, and her skin pale. It was easy to see how the monster was able to lure the ancients of the past.

 

In a gentle soft voice she spoke, "Ahhh finally!!! Thanks to Professor Hojo I have returned!!!" She lowered her head and spread her arms to the ones at her feet. "Fools!!! Your friends are mine!!! All living things are mine!!! THE WORLD IS MINE!!!" She extended a hand out towards Sephiroth gently. "My beloved son, rise and come to your mother."

 

Through it all Sephiroth knelt next to Aerith cradling her body against his own. He looked up when Jenova began to form together, taking their friends with it. He knew it had to be stopped but his will to fight was gone. He lifted his sword as he became overwhelmed with grief. "Aerith…I have failed you."

 

Jenova laughed, "My poor son, don't waste your precious energy on that pathetic fool!! You are above all of that human emotion garbage!! You have proven yourself time and time again. Rise my son and join me!!!"

 

A small figure suddenly raced from the doorway and joined her family as she cried, "MOMMIE!!!!"

 

Cloud couldn't believe his eyes. He glanced at the girl and watched as she fell to the floor and wrapped her tiny arms around Aerith. She nudged Aerith with all her strength, but nothing happened. Her confused gaze fell upon Sephiroth and noticed her hair was identical to his. In a sad little voice she replied, "Mommy's not waking up." Tears already began falling from her tiny chubby cheek.

 

Sephiroth stared at the small face of the little girl in shock. Was she his daughter?? Guilt welled up in side him instantly as he stared at the small face. "I'm sorry…your mother…she's gone."

 

The little girl wrinkled her nose and stared at Sephiroth, now filled with curiosity, despite her tears. "Are you my father?? Mommy said my father has white hair…like an angel."

 

A tear fell from Sephiroth's eyes as he instinctively took the small girl into his arms. "Your Mother is not here, but don't worry, I will protect you."

 

The white materia fell from Aerith's hand and rolled, stopping at Sephiroth's feet. The child broke from Sephiroth's embrace and picked up the materia. As soon as the child's fingers graced the sphere, it flared to life, blinding everyone in the room momentarily.

 

Shukera faced the group sadly and approached Raijin. She grasped his hands into hers as she replied, "The end is near. Please, take the others and get out of here. Harris," she dropped Raijin's hands and faced the ex-soldier, "Get them out of here and meet the citizens of Midgar on the outskirts of the area. Trust me, go and make sure you join the others. Any closer and I can't guarantee your safety!!" She smiled at Selphie, "Please, go with them and leave Rinoa in my hands. We have some unfinished work to do. Don't worry, it will all be alright." Then she faced Squall. "Join your friends, I will save Rinoa. We will return her back to you, just believe."

 

Squall stared at the child in disbelief when Raijin snatched him up. "You're coming with us, ya know. Rinoa won't have anyone to return to if you stay here."

 

Selphie and Harris gathered the others and they raced from the building. No matter what was going to happen, Selphie had faith in Shukera and remained hopeful. She tried to cheer everyone up by cheering, "Just think when this is over, there will be no more Shin Ra!!" She stood before Barett and Cloud as she smiled, "This is what you wanted, isn't it?? Come on, let's believe in our friends!!!"

 

Harris nodded, "Selphie is right. How can they do what they need to do when we don't believe?? We have to want this to happen!! Remember Holy works on the wishes of the people." He smacked his hand on Barett's shoulder, "You of all people should know that! Just think of your daughter and how happy she will be when this is over, truly over."

 

Barett followed the group to the grounds outside the city and stopped suddenly when he saw the enormous group of people that waited. The expression on their faces held the one thing he lacked, hope. It was then that he realized what Selphie and Harris was saying. The people wanted their freedom, wanted to live in peace. Seeing them gave him strength and he smiled, "Yeah!! Good bye Shin Ra!!!"

 

The endless crowd fell silent in anticipation. Irvine stood close to Selphie with his arm on her shoulder. Zell and Yuffie held hands as they watched the Shin Ra headquarters. Raijin paced, worried about his friends…about Shukera. Soon he knew she would be back again. He joined Squall and rested his hand on his shoulder for support. Cloud stood between Barett and Cid as he wrapped his arms around Tifa's waist, waiting for something to happen. Vincent watched as Nanaki whispered a prayer, knowing the legend passed down by his people was fixing to be fulfilled.

 

For a single moment, everyone in the crowd began holding hands. People of different races and ethnic backgrounds stood together, joined in a single effort. This was their last stand against the virus that would come and rob them of everything they had, little by little.