Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 62

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 62

 

 

By this time Selphie had grown tired of sitting and waiting. She returned to Burgenhagen's house and sat next to Shukera, waiting for her to awaken. Selphie gasped when she saw Shukera's eyes moving under her lids. Next to her, Raijin began to stir and sit up. He rubbed his head a bit; weary from the fear of losing Shukera and faced Selphie. Without saying a word, he sighed with relief.

 

Shukera slowly opened her eyes and took in a deep breath, as if it were her first. She sat up and looked around as she wondered where she was. In her hand a sword appeared, around her neck the silver chain formed. Her gaze rested upon Raijin and she cried as she dropped the sword and threw her arms around him. He wrapped his arms around her close as he closed his eyes and whispered, "I promise I will see you through this, ya know."

 

Shukera replied through her sobs, "I'm sorry! I almost stayed in that…place." Raijin hushed her and whispered, "Don't think about it any more, ya know. Time to forget all of that and move on, ya know." They parted and Shukera placed her finger on his chin and smiled. "You know, I couldn't have come back without you… Thank you."

 

Raijin turned red faced and stood up. He nervously scratched the back of his head, then held his arm out to Shukera. "I was glad to help, ya know." She took his hand and stood up and stretched.

 

Selphie jumped to her feet and began jumping up and down with excitement. "WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!" She ran outside and shouted at everyone, "HEYYYY Shukera's back!!! She's alive!!!"

 

Moments later Selphie returned with Cloud, Tifa, Nanaki, and Irvine. Reno remained where he was and sighed with relief when he heard the news about Shukera. He had done what he wanted to do. She was fine; it was time for him to move on.

 

Shukera faced the others and looked at the floor. "Sorry, I kinda lost my way back there. But…" She glanced at Raijin and squeezed his hand. "I'm fine now."

 

Tifa hugged her. "I'm so glad you are back! You should see the people celebrating outside Midgar!! It was amazing!!! Barett, T-seng, and Elena stayed with them."

 

Shukera laughed, "Yeah, I figured Barett would."

 

Irvine chuckled, "Zell is staying here with Yuffie. They stayed back with the people as well."

 

Shukera nodded, "I'm glad he is staying. He would be a great help to the people here."

 

Tifa and Cloud waved and stepped outside again. Selphie grabbed Irvine's hand and dragged him out with her. Shukera picked up Bethany and leaned the child's head against her shoulder. Smiling, she followed them out to the Cosmic Candle along with Raijin.

 

Raijin squeezed Shukera's free hand as they stepped outside, joining the others. Selphie stopped in front of them and turned around. "HEYYY Are you two an item now??"

 

Shukera's cheeks reddened; it was good to see that Selphie never changed. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath then exhaled slowly. When the opened her eyes, she was surprised to see Squall escorting Harris. He stopped before her and nodded, "Someone is here to see you." He stepped to the side and joined Rinoa, Selphie, and Irvine.

 

Harris smiled, "Everyone is safe and still celebrating back at Midgar. I think its going to last a long time. Well, no more Shin Ra, no more Soldier and now the people can live in peace. We are going to defend this planet and protect the work that you and Aerith did. We will remind the people of Shin Ra's mistakes from time to time, incase anyone loses their minds and tries anything stupid…like recreate Shin Ra." He went to salute Shukera as he replied, "Commander Shuk…" He stopped himself and turned red faced. "With all due respect, Shukera."

 

Shukera laughed and shook her head. "Remember what I told you guys, we are no longer in Soldier. There's no reason for calling me that."

 

Harris laughed, "It just feels funny calling you that. You will always be Commander to us."

 

Shukera smiled, "Look you guys are free to do what ever you want now. And I agree that the planet needs protecting and it needs someone with a good head on their shoulders to make order of the chaos that's going to follow the next year or two. Remember, people are used to having Shin Ra tell them what they can and can't do. So, my last action as your Commander is to pass my command over to you six and leave the defenses of this world in your hands. Make sure the people are safe and help them rebuild and readjust to this."

 

Harris nodded, feeling honored. "I will Shukera. You have taught us all how to be good leaders. Thank you." He saluted her and she saluted him back. "Now, time to round up the others." He waved as he began to walk off. "Bye guys!! Shukera take care of yourself!! We will never forget what happened here." He bid farewell and ran off.

 

Squall faced Shukera and nodded, "It's time for us to head back home. Selphie, Irvine, take Quistis with you and head to the airship I will meet you there in a moment. Make sure you have everything ready to go. When we leave here we are heading back to the Ragnarok and back home."

 

Selphie grabbed Irvine's hand and walked Quistis back to the air ship with them. Cid was already aboard the ship and waiting. He wanted to get back to the others and join in the celebration. Tifa and Cloud walked back behind Selphie and boarded the ship.

 

Shukera and Raijin began walking towards the exit of the town when her gaze rested upon Reno. She stared at him for a moment until Raijin gently squeezed her shoulder. "Why don't you go and talk to him. I'll be waiting for you, ya know." He walked to the town's exit and waited for Shukera.

 

Shukera slowly walked up to Reno and nodded, "Hey, how are you feeling??"

 

Reno gazed at Shukera strangely, "Excuse me, do I know you??"

 

Shukera bit her lip fighting the tears that welled up in her eyes. "You don't remember me?? We were…friends when we were younger."

 

Reno shook his head, "Sorry…I don't know what you're talking about."

 

Shukera stammered, "I…I'm sorry…I must have been mistaken." She turned away from him sadly. The last tie to her childhood broke with the loss of Reno's memory. She wiped her eyes and walked away from him somberly.

 

Reno watched her leave and drew in a deep breath. Casually he reached up and pulled his sunglasses over his eyes. "Well, my job is done. Let's go." He passed Raijin and Shukera on the way out of the town with his hands stuffed into his pockets. He nodded to them as he walked by.

 

Shukera replied loud enough for him to hear her, "Good-bye, Reno." Next to her Raijin placed his hand on her shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

 

Reno paused only for a moment, then continued on his way. Mentally he replied, "Good-bye Shukera." He knew he had nothing to offer her. The truth about him telling Shin Ra everything remained unspoken. He never told Shin Ra anything that they didn't know already. All along he had protected Shukera from Shin Ra, a fact that he would forever hold inside. The drug was a lie as well. He used the lie to cover the truth…that night remained a sore spot inside of him. He had given himself to Shukera like he had never given to anyone else, and he would give himself that way again. A smile formed on his lips as he exited the town. "You know, this is just our luck to have something like this happen. Here we are in the middle of nowhere without transportation." Rude could see the truth as plain as day, but said nothing. Finally Reno sighed, "Let's just go."

 

Shukera watched Reno walk away only for a moment. She smiled through her tears, faced Raijin and nodded, "Let's go." Together they boarded the ship. Shukera stood on the deck with Bethany still sleeping in her arms. The ship passed over the two ex-Turks and disappeared on the horizon.

 

Reno watched the ship pass overhead until it was gone from sight. He reminded himself that it was all for the best. Besides, Shukera had a child to raise now and he had no patience for that…at least, that's what he told himself.

 

Cid landed the ship outside the forest that out lined Mideel. There he idled the ship and joined Tifa and Cloud on the deck where they waited for Squall and his friends. When they appeared from inside the ship, Cloud extended his hand. "Thanks for coming here to help us."

 

Squall shook his hand and nodded, "No problem. We had to save both worlds, so it was good we fought together." He dropped Cloud's hand and faced the Ragnarok. "Now you can live in peace."

 

Cloud nodded and placed his arm around Tifa. "That we will. Thanks guys."

 

Shukera walked up and Tifa stepped away from Cloud. With tears in her eyes, she hugged her friend. "Good luck Shukera. Take care; I know you are going to do well where you are going." Shukera hugged her back and smiled, "I hope so. Only time will tell. Tifa do me a favor. On your way back to Cosmo Canyon, pick up Reno and Rude for me. Bring them where ever they need to go, ok??" Tifa nodded, "Ok, I promise we will." They parted and Tifa moved back against Cloud. "See ya Shukera. Take care of Bethany." She wanted to keep the goodbye short; it was way too hard.

 

Quistis was escorted back to the ship with Irvine and Selphie. Behind them followed Fujin and Seifer. Neither one of them said much since Shukera regained consciousness. Their thoughts continued to weigh heavy on their minds.

 

Squall led Rinoa back to their ship and boarded it. Since Nida was killed in the explosion back in the Shin Ra building, Selphie took over as pilot. Squall and the others began to settle in and prepare for the trip home.

 

Shukera waved at Tifa and Cloud and departed for the red ship. She stepped up on the ramp that led into the ship someone stopped her.


"Shukera take me with you. I have nothing here."

 

Shukera spun around and gasped, "What?? Reeve?? After what you have done to me you have the nerve to stand there and ask me to take you with me??"

 

Reeve shook his head, "I…I don't know what happened exactly. I only know that I don't want to be here any longer." He smiled when he saw Bethany. "I see you have Aerith's daughter. You are right in bringing her with you. She will be happier far away from this place."

 

Shukera's eyes widened in surprise, there were too many questions that lingered in her mind. Raijin whispered, "Shukera, remember he was part of that monster thing as well. He probably doesn't know what happened, ya know."

 

Shukera sighed, "Then you have to ask Squall if you can come. But the first time I see you doing something stupid, you will be sorry!!!"

 

Reeve laughed, "Yeah, I got it."

 

Raijin ran ahead and asked Squall about Reeve. Shukera watched as Squall stood at the entrance to the ship and waved them on. Shukera faced Reeve and smirked, "I guess this is your lucky day." He followed Shukera back to the ship.

 

Once everyone was aboard, the red ship lifted from the trees and into the sky. In seconds, the ship sped away swiftly and disappeared on the horizon as Tifa and Cloud looked on. Soon after they were gone the Highwind lifted off the ground and headed back to Cosmo Canyon where it picked up Harris and his group, then it landed before the Turks. Tifa waved at them, "Someone told me you would need a ride!!! We're going to Midgar; you're welcome to go with us if you want!!!"

 

Reno traded a glance with Rude as he thought, "Thanks again Shukera." The pair boarded the ship and soon after it took to the sky.