Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 63

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 63

 

 

The man smiled as the small group gathered around his desk. Squall saluted him as he stood at attention. "Headmaster Cid, Shin Ra is destroyed; their threat is gone for good. Zell…is staying there to help the survivors. Shukera's ex-soldiers are working under him to put a defense program together like we have here. I think they will be fine."

 

Headmaster Cid nodded then stood up as he smiled proudly. "You all did a great job. We managed to hold off the invasion as well until the army just suddenly disappeared. Strangest thing though, it looked like some kind of shadow things hit them and they just fell where they stood. I have never seen anything like it in my life!!"

 

Selphie rocked from side to side on her legs as she boasted, "Headmaster Cid, that had to be from Shukera's materia!!! Shukera and Aerith have these special stones, and they actually fulfilled a very old legend!!! Can you believe it?? Shukera's a living legend!!!"

 

Shukera's face turned red and she looked away from them. Cid laughed, "Thank you Selphie for filling me in." He walked from behind his desk and stood before Shukera. "Is this true??"

 

Shukera nodded and looked up at him, her face reddened even deeper, the attention made her feel uncomfortable. "It's true, but we couldn't have done it without everyone's help. Their attacks made us able to get to the roof and do what needed to be done."

 

Cid smiled and faced Reeve. "And who might this be??"

 

Reeve looked at him as he offered his hand in a greeting, "I'm Reeve, Shukera's brother. I was a member of her rebel team in Midgar."

 

Cid nodded and shook his hand, "Ah yes, I have heard a lot about you. Welcome to Balamb." He then looked at the child in Shukera's arms and asked, "And who might this little lady be??"

 

Shukera smiled as she moved the hair from the child's eyes, "This is Bethany, my friend Aerith's daughter." She looked away from him a bit nervously, "Can she remain here?? I want her to be where I know she will be safe."

 

Cid stood before her and laughed, "My dear, you have fulfilled your promise and protected our home. You are now our first sword wielding See D. Your brother and the child are welcomed to remain here. I'm sure we can find something for him to do."

 

Reeve held up his hand, "As long as it doesn't include a gun, I'll be happy. I'm rather sick of fighting." Shukera knew Reeve's true personality had returned. She wondered if that meant he didn't know the truth about Aerith and her.

 

Headmaster Cid nodded, "I'm sure we can find something for you in the admin level."

 

"Sounds good to me. I used to be an executive at my old job, so I'm pretty used to office work." He moved next to Quistis and held his arms to his side. They exchanged a brief but warm and friendly smile. Quistis looked away as her cheeks flushed slightly.

 

Headmaster Cid faced the group as he reached in his drawer and pulled out a box. He then stepped to the front of his desk with the box in his hand. "Courage is an important thing to have in order to become a See D, as you all know. Bravery is also necessary to succeed. So are honor, strength, and the will to fight to protect and defend. But, when you add sacrifice, truth, and the ability to go beyond what's expected of you without asking for anything in return, that's what makes a true hero. To be willing to sacrifice one's own self for the sake of other's protection, that's rare." He stopped in front of Shukera and opened the box. "It is my greatest honor to welcome you into our Garden and our ranks of See D."

 

Squall stepped forward and held his hand out to the box. "If I may??" Headmaster Cid handed the box to Squall and stepped back. Squall stood before Shukera and began.

 

"I asked to present this to you as leader of the See Ds because it was an honor to witness the great respect your men had for you. That was something completely amazing and honorable. Those men were willing to die in order to protect you, even after you were no longer their commander. After you relieved them of their duty, they continued to show you the same level of respect. Even with Shin Ra's influence so close to them, you managed to make them something bigger then themselves. For as long as I live, I will never forget the way you have touched their lives and made them believe in themselves."

 

He took in a deep breath then continued, "That is the kind of leadership that can bring down mountains, or in your case, Shin Ra. You saved our home, saved your planet and its people, and in the long run, saved our world as well." He pulled out the medal and hung it around Shukera's neck. "I am honored to present to you our highest medal any See D could ever be awarded with, the Platinum Spear, our Medal of Honor. I hope I can live up to the example you have led." He stepped back away from her and saluted.

 

Shukera looked around the room to see them all standing at attention and saluting her. Tears ran down her cheek as she saluted him back. She dropped her salute and shook her head, "I didn't really do anything special to deserve this."

 

Reeve laughed, "Same old Shukera. She never knew when to take credit that was given to her." He walked up to Shukera and placed his hands on her shoulder. "Listen to me, swallow that modesty you have and accept this. Believe me, you have earned it. Think about all that has happened because of you. I'm not saying you did it alone Shukera, but it was you who led us to take action."

 

Raijin moved next to Shukera and replied, "I have been there to see you put this thing together and I watched you see it through, ya know. None of it would have been possible without your actions, ya know."

 

Shukera looked at the both of them and nodded, "I guess so but like you said I didn't do it alone." She walked up to Cid and tried to give the medal back. Headmaster Cid laughed and shook his head, "It's yours to keep. I'm not taking it back."

 

Shukera sighed, "This should go to everyone who left here without knowing what they were going to face. They knew nothing about Shin Ra, yet they left their homes and helped to destroy them."

 

Squall faced her and shrugged, "It's just like every other mission we go on. We really don't know much about what's going to happen. Every mission is different from the next. We knew what the risks were before we took them. That's what being a See D is about."

 

Shukera looked around the room and everyone nodded at her agreeing with Squall. Finally she sighed and looked at Selphie. "I understand." She faced the group and saluted. "Thank you all, I really don't know what to say."

 

Headmaster Cid smiled, "You don't have to say anything. But just so that you know, there will be a party given tonight in honor of your homecoming. Enjoy yourselves and take the rest of the week off, you've all earned it." He sat down behind his desk and looked up at Squall; "I would like to see you, Quistis, and Reeve after everyone leaves. Selphie get a dorm for Bethany in the Junior See D area and introduce her to the others."

 

Selphie saluted, "Yes sir!!"

 

Squall nodded and kissed Rinoa on the cheek. "I'll catch up with you later."