Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Legend of the Final Materia ❯ Chapter 66

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 66

 

 

Later that night, in Shukera's dorm, the girls were busy getting dressed. Shukera finished putting on her outfit, which consisted of a green sleeveless, turtleneck styled mini dress. Around her neck hung her stone on the silver chain Aerith gave her. On her feet she wore a pair of knee high, flat green boots and a pair of white leggings. The dress was tight fitting, but complimenting to her figure.

 

Selphie grinned when Shukera stepped out. "Ohhh I know someone who's going to like that outfit!!"

 

Rinoa stood in front of Shukera and leaned over a bit in her usual manner. "Shukera have you actually thought about going out with Raijin??"

 

Shukera was brushing Bethany's her hair and stopped in mid stroke. Shrugging she replied, "I don't know. I mean about a month ago, I was in Seifer's arms, and before that I was worried about Reno. But…through it all, Raijin has remained a constant. I don't know if I want to jeopardize that…" Her eyes teared as she continued, "I know I have never had these sensations or thoughts…"

 

Selphie interrupted her, "Or feelings or trust."

 

Shukera turned red a bit and wiped her eyes, "Yeah…trust. I believe in Raijin. I just don't know what to call this…its something I never felt before…overwhelming, yet comfortable. I'm happy, yet scared. Strange…"

 

Rinoa grinned as she squatted in front of Shukera. "I know what it is."

 

Selphie held her hands out as she bounced back and forth on her feet. "Yep!!! I know what it is too!!" She replied in a singsong matter, "Shukera's in love with Raijin!!" She turned to Shukera and became serious. "You left that place you were in to be with him, I know cause Raijin told me. Shukera, its time you are truthful with yourself and start thinking about what you want. This isn't about Shin Ra or Soldier, or anyone anymore. It's about what you want to do with your life. I think its time for you to search your heart and see what's there and tell him before its too late."

 

Shukera stared at herself in the mirror after she finished brushing Bethany's hair. "When I'm sure that's what I feel, I will tell him."

 

Moments later, the girls were dressed and ready to go. They met Irvine and Squall in the hallway leading into the Quad. Irvine took Selphie's hand and faced Shukera. "Wow you really look great!!"

 

Selphie leaned against Irvine and smiled, "Yeah, she does." Irvine looked up and winked at Selphie and Rinoa. "I think its time for us to go inside." Selphie called as she held her hand out, "Come on Bethany!!" The child paused as she looked up at Shukera. "You look pwetty Auntie Shukie!!" She ran off happily and grabbed Selphie's hand.

 

Squall wrapped his arm around Rinoa's waist and nodded. Rinoa called over her shoulder, "See you later Shukera." The four of them disappeared into the Quad, leaving Shukera standing there alone. She nervously smoothed the wrinkles out of her outfit with her hand and sighed. Not feeling too comfortable, she turned around and was fixing to leave when someone tapped her on the shoulder.

 

Shukera spun around to see who it was and gasped when she saw Raijin standing there in his See D uniform. "You look fantastic!! I hardly recognized you!!"

 

Raijin smiled and gazed at her. "You really look beautiful Shukera, ya know." He held his arm out to Shukera as he replied, "I would like to go to the party with you Shukera, ya know. Shall we??"

 

Shukera draped her arm through his and nodded, "I would be glad to." Her cheeks flushed pink when she looked at him, and she smiled to hide her reaction to him. Raijin and Shukera entered the Quad arm in arm.

 

Selphie met them as she bounced around, "You two look soooo cool!!" She looked at Rinoa and Shukera then cheered, "It's time to parrrtah!!!" Next to her Bethany began mimicking her gestures, which made everyone around them burst into laughter.

 

Upbeat dance music filled the room. Selphie immediately grabbed Irvine and dragged him to the dance floor. Raijin took Shukera to the floor and she grabbed Rinoa's arm. Rinoa grabbed Squall and they all began dancing to the music.

 

Moments later, Quistis entered the Quad with Reeve. Shukera leaned over to Squall and asked him, "What happened with Quistis??"

 

Squall smiled, "She doesn't remember anything. Headmaster Cid made her go to the infirmary and get checked out. She's going to be all right. He asked that we just let her be and don't hold any of it against her."

 

Shukera nodded, "It's better that way." She felt Raijin wrap his arms around her waist when a slow song came on. She closed her eyes and took in his closeness, enjoying just being alive and being with him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and rested her head on his chest. Through the song, she listened to his heartbeat and the rhythm of his breathing. Selphie's words went through her mind and she smiled. In that moment she realized she was where she belonged.

 

When the song stopped, Raijin took her hand and they walked towards the balcony. There, they stood looking out towards the ocean and at the sky. "I always did like it out here."

 

Raijin gave her a box and smiled. "This is for you, ya know."

 

Shukera took the box and opened it. Inside was a sterling silver phoenix. She looked up at Raijin confused. "A phoenix?"

 

He nodded, "The phoenix is a spirit who rose from the ashes and restored life. You rose from the darkness of your past and restored life…in me, ya know." He slipped the chain from around her neck and attached the pendent to the bottom of the casing that held her materia. "It's a way of putting the past to rest…just like the baby." He put the chain back around her neck and smiled. "You are the phoenix of my life Shukera, ya know."

 

Tears ran down her cheek as she looked intently into his eyes. "I…don't know what to say…"

 

Raijin drew her into his arms and smiled, "Then don't say anything."

 

She placed her hand on his cheek and smiled, "There is something I have to say. Someone once told me to search my heart and I would see what's there. Well, I have looked and what I found…was you." She moved closer to Raijin and slid her arms around his neck. "Raijin, its you I want to spend my life with. I…love you."

 

Raijin looked at her, a bit surprised and relieved. Irvine was right, and he was glad he was right. "I love you too, ya know." He stared at her for a long while smiling. They moved closer to each other and slowly began to kiss.

 

A voice rang out behind them, "Now there's a sight I'm very happy to see. Never thought you had it in ya, but hey, even I can be wrong."

 

Raijin spun around to find Seifer standing there with his arm around Fujin. He started laughing as him and Seifer smacked their hands together in some strange greeting they shared before Seifer started to change.

 

Shukera and Fujin both shook their heads and sighed. Seifer gave Raijin a quick pat on the back and Raijin nodded, "It's good to have you back, ya know."

 

Seifer draped his arm around Fujin and smiled, "Yeah I know." He faced the ocean and the breeze blew through his hair. Raijin faced the ocean as Shukera leaned against him. "So, Raijin, it seems that Shukera has become part of the posse." He faced Raijin with a huge grin on his face. "You know what that means."

 

Raijin nodded, "Yeah, we just gained a member of the discipline committee, ya know."

 

Fujin nodded, "Yes." Seifer grinned and faced the ocean again; "Now Raijin, I know Shukera is your first girlfriend and all, so don't let me catch you in the training center's meeting place after hours." He faced Raijin with a smirk; "I would hate to have to bring you to the Headmaster for making out."

 

Raijin started laughing and shook his head. "Man, you're impossible, ya know." He draped his arms around Shukera's shoulders and kissed her hair. "We will just have to make sure we don't get caught, ya know."

 

Shukera and Fujin started laughing at them. Bethany came running up to Shukera as she called, "Auntie Shukie!!!!" The child wrapped her arms around Shukera's leg and giggled. She fixed her innocent eyes upon Shukera as she smiled and replied, "I love you Auntie Shukie!!!"

 

From inside a young girl that was standing with two other girls called, "Bethany, come and play with us!!"

 

Bethany giggled as she dropped her arms from Shukera and ran off to play, her white hair streaming behind her as she ran. Shukera watched her as laughter echoed in her mind. The memory of Aerith's laughter coupled with her own rang in her head. She smiled; the memory filled her with warmth inside.

 

Shukera looked over at Fujin and smiled. This was where she wanted to be and deep down inside, she knew she had found her place. Though being on the Discipline Committee was something that came as a surprise, but she liked it.

 

Tomorrow was a new day, with new experiences to discover. She knew it was going to take some adjusting to the new life. She had to get used to living in a peaceful world, but she also knew that Raijin and Bethany would be there for her no matter what. Raijin had become her pillar of strength, just as he always had been. For now, she was going to enjoy the moment and take it easy. She had the rest of her life to decide what she wanted to do…she closed her eyes as she leaned against Raijin and became immersed in being in love for the first time.