Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ love (`luv) n: ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Hey, what do you know, I still don't own Final Fantasy IX, and I never will.
-----------------------------------------------


lov e (`luv) n:
By Trick Sparrow

Chapter 2


I woke up at seven-thirty the next morning, springing instantly out of bed. I bathed, shaved my legs, nicking myself in the process, brushed my hair and tail furiously, and tried to decide what to wear. My mind would not focus. Should I wear a blue sleeveless dress or a yellow blouse and jeans? Finally I decided on a light green tanktop and a khaki skirt. Really, such indecisiveness was out of character for me.

I slid on a pair of sandals, grabbed my purse, and was racing to the door when a knock suddenly sounded on the other side. I opened it wide to see Blank standing outside waiting for me. He was wearing a light grey, long-sleeved shirt and pair of black jeans.

He smiled bashfully. "I couldn't wait outside, so I asked the manager which apartment was yours. You look nice," he added.

"Thank you." I closed the door behind us and inserted the key to lock it. As we headed down the stairs, the moogle came racing up to me.

"Kupo! I have a letter for Miss Mikoto!" it cried, brandishing an envelope for me to see. "It's from Master Zidane!"

I frowned, taking the letter from its furry paws. "That was quick," I said, looking up at Blank. "He must have written me back right after he got my letter."

I nodded my thanks to the moogle as we left the apartment. At Blank's urging, I tore open the envelope and began to read it aloud.


:::Dear Miki,

It's great to hear from you. I've been waiting for a letter from you, but I figured you were still adjusting to life in Lindblum. I'm really glad you got a chance to meet Blank. He's a great guy, just don't let him make any moves on you, or I'll come there personally and punch his lights out.


"Hey!"


I'd really like to visit you all, but Dagger wants me to help her, Vivi, and Rusty to rebuild Alexandria. Who am I to argue with my canary? But I'll come see you as soon as I can.

Your Big Bro,
Zidane:::


I smiled in amusement to see Blank fuming with indignation. "I'm really not that kinda guy," he said defensively.

I patted his arm reassuringly. "I believe you," I said, tucking the letter into my purse. I tried to ignore the feel of the stitches in his mismatched skin.

"Man," he said, laughing. "Sounds like Dagger's got him whipped pretty good. Oh well, at least he loves her."

I looked up at him, puzzled. "What is love, Blank?"

He whipped his head around to face me, taken aback by my apparently bold question. "Well, it's sort of hard to explain. It's a warm attachment to someone or something. No, that's not right." He put a hand to his chin in deep thought. "It's more of a strong affection."

I frowned. "But that could cover a very wide range of things. By your definition, I could very well love you."

"Uhhh, see," he said quickly, shaking his head. "Okay, bad example. God, how do I explain this? When you... when you love someone, you have an unselfish devotion to them. You cherish that person more than anything in the world, despite any imperfections they might have." He took a deep breath. "There, does that satisfy you?"

I nodded thoughtfully. "I suppose."



Outside the door to Tantalus headquarters, Blank paused. "You might think these people are weird, but don't worry. They're all stand-up guys."

Confused by his description, I merely nodded. As he opened the door for me, I stepped inside to see a large clubhouse, with a large table in the middle and some couches and a desk to one side. In another corner there was a platform reachable by a ladder, which held a number of beds. Outside the enormous window, I could see the large clock that overlooked the Theater District. The room occupied a group of curious individuals.

Blank came inside behind me. "Guys, I'd like you to meet Mikoto, Zidane's kid sister."

The group looked up in surprise. The nearest of them, a man with a bandana around his head, came over to us and smiled, revealing a pair of pointy fangs. "I didn't know Zidane had a sister. I'm Marcus. Pleased to meet you!" He held out his hand.

Blank nudged me, and I took Marcus's hand. He pumped it up and down vigorously.

As my escort led me by the small of my back over to the table, the others stood up to greet me. A strange, pudgy individual with a pig-like snout grinned, shaking my hand as well. "Jeez, if I'da known Zidane had a cute sister, I would have--"

"Cinna, shut up!" shouted Blank angrily, yanking my hand out of his. The creature known as Cinna blinked at him, surprised by his friend's brutal actions.

A large, intimidating person I would definitely not call human slapped my back rather painfully. He had a feline face and ears, and was sporting a pair of aviator goggles. "Name's Baku! Great to meetcha, kid! I'm surprised, to say the least."

"It is very nice to meet you all," I said, feeling vaguely out of place.

Blank turned to Baku. "Hey, boss, where are Zenero, Benero, and Genero? I wanted Mikoto to meet them."

"They went to help Regent Cid on the construction of a new airship." He laughed boisterously. "Ever since that Kuja guy was killed, and the world was saved an' all, the regent has really started to trust us."

I looked down at my feet, my thoughts turning to Kuja. If my older brother had not gotten his head filled with greed and lust for power, he might be with me today. Blank noticed my quiet musing and put a hand on my shoulder, smiling sympathetically.

My cheeks began to grow hot, and I frowned in alarm. *This is strange,* I thought. *What is wrong with me?*

Blank looked at me with concern. "What's the matter?"

"I... I am not sure," I said, placing a hand on my face. "There is an abnormal amount of blood flowing in my cheeks." I turned to see him stifling a smile. "Just what is so humorous?"

"This strange phenomenon is known as 'blushing'," he said, grinning. "People blush when they're embarrassed, or..." He trailed off, clearing his throat. "Boy, Zidane said you weren't too accustomed to things on Gaia, but I had no idea."

"A veritable 'fish out of water', Blank?" I said, irritated.

"Yeah, exactly." He then noticed my annoyance. "No, I mean, I didn't mean-- Well, I kinda did, but not--" He hung his head, sighing. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

"You are forgiven," I said, permitting myself a small smile.

"It's just..." He grinned his lopsided grin. "I think it's sort of cute how innocent you are."

The blood flow in my face increased even more, and I could feel my heart pounding considerably. *What is this strange sensation?* I thought. *I have never felt this way before. Perhaps it is something in the air on Gaia... But why does it occur only when I am around Blank?*

The sound of raucous singing interrupted my thoughts. I looked up sharply at Cinna, who was the source of this bizarre racket.

"I been really try-yin', baby," he sang, "tryin' to hoold back the feelin' for sooo long! And if you feel--"

Blank took a menacing step toward him, his fist raised. "I'm warning you, man..."

Cinna closed his mouth abruptly.

"You get used to his lack of tact," said Blank, turning toward me again. "Don't worry about him, Mikoto."

I smiled up at him. "My closest friends call me Miki."

"And would I be qualified as one of them?" he asked, beaming.

"You might," I replied, "blushing" again as his grin grew wider.



------------------

Awww, cute!
-Sparrow