Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ love (`luv) n: ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
If you look closely at the jewel case that Final Fantasy IX comes in, you will clearly see that it does not belong to me.
------------------------------------------------------


love (`luv) n:
By Trick Sparrow

Chapter 3


It is strange how you forget how much time has passed when you are occupied constantly, or as Blank would say, "Time flies when you're having fun." It has been two months since I met him, and even though I would never have thought twice about him if I had not known he was Zidane's friend, I cannot imagine what living in Lindblum would be like without him.

"Come on, Miki, I'm not going to wait down here in the foyer all night!"

I quickly locked my apartment door and hurried down the stairs to see Blank waiting, less than patiently, by the front door. He adjusted the leather belt around his head quickly and held out his arm.

Linking my arm in his, I wondered why he wore that belt, and why he always kept his eyes covered. Suddenly I realized I knew very little about him.

I shook my head, dispelling my disconcerting thoughts. "Blank, where are we going? You told me nothing about your plans."

"*Our* plans," he said, correcting me. "You'll see when we get there."

He led me to the aircab station, where we were flown to Lindblum castle. Once we stepped out, he ushered me to the airstation, where countless ships were docked, and where Regent Cid Fabool was waiting. I looked up questioningly at Blank, and he just smiled.

"Ah, I was wondering when you two would get here," said the regent. "Follow me."

As we followed Cid through the catwalks of the airstation, I grew increasingly confused. Blank was known to do some notably unexpected things, but never something as puzzling as this. I truly had no idea what he was planning.

We suddenly stopped walking, and Blank squeezed my hand. "Look up, Miki," he said, grinning.

I obeyed, and gasped in surprise to see an enormous airship tethered to the catwalk. It was at least sixty feet long, and its shape reminded me somehow of a gondola, with intricate carvings along the rails and around the bow. Benches lined the deck, and the captain's cabin was tucked away in the back.

"My goodness!" I exclaimed. "It's simply beautiful!"

Regent Cid beamed with pride. "She's my latest airship, the Bella Piccola. It means 'Beautiful Girl'."

"That was my idea," Blank whispered, nudging me.

"I designed this craft as sort of a cruise ship for couples," Cid continued, clearly pleased by my reaction. "A love boat, if you will. And you two are about to be the first official passengers on her maiden voyage."

My excitement grew unbearable. I looked from Blank to Cid, then to Blank again. "Blank, why--?"

He smiled. "I know how much you like airships, so I asked Cid for a favor. A *very big* favor."

"He owes me big this time," said the regent, smirking.

I could restrain myself no longer. "Blank, this is too much!" I cried, throwing my arms around him tightly.

I felt his own arms encircle me, and he laughed. "Nothing is too much for you, Miki. If anything, it's not enough." He released me, then pointed toward the Bella Piccola. "Come on, we don't want to miss our chance."

He led me onto the airship, and I steadied myself as it began to rumble. I immediately raced to the bow of the ship and peered over the edge. As the Bella Piccola took flight, I never felt as happy as I did at that moment.

That is, until Blank came to join me.

"Having fun?" he ventured, taking my hand in his.

I smiled. "That is the biggest understatement I have ever heard." Suddenly I closed my eyes at the unwelcome flow of liquid-- my first tears.

"Miki?" Blank said, squeezing my hand. "What's wrong?"

I raised my free hand to wipe away the salty tears as they came unbidden. "I believe I am crying," I said, confused. "But I thought people only cried when they are sad. And I have never been happier."

Blank smiled gently, drying my face with his sleeve. "People cry when they're happy, too."

"Why?"

He shrugged. "I don't have all the answers, Miki."

I sniffed and looked down at our clasped hands. As I turned his mismatched fingers slowly in mine, I suddenly looked back up at him. "Blank... Why do you... look the way you do?"

He turned away from me at this. Alarmed that I had hurt him in some way, I tightened my hold on his hand. "I'm sorry, Blank," I said quickly. "I can be so careless sometimes. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings."

He smiled at me sadly. "It's okay, I never thought you did. And as for me..." He shook his head. "You don't need to bother asking those questions. No one does."

"But why?" I asked, suddenly frustrated at his evasiveness. "Why won't you reveal anything about yourself? Do you realize that I know next to nothing about your background, your family, your past? I have known you for two months, and yet I have no idea who you are!"

He took a deep breath. "You don't need to know, Mikoto," he said quietly. "Just enjoy the ride. This night is supposed to be for you."

At that he lifted the seat cover from one of the benches and pulled out a blanket. Spreading it out over the deck, he sat down on it and patted the blanket beside him. As the Bella Piccola cruised over Lindblum, we lay side by side on our backs, watching the stars go by overhead.

Blank lifted my tail into his hands, smiling. "Your tail is probably the cutest thing I've ever seen," he said, stroking the fur gently.

But I had barely heard him. As I lay next to him, my head resting on his shoulder, I sighed, snuggling further against him. He was so close to me, and at the same time, so infinitely far away.



-------------------------

Yes, it's true, we don't know much about Blank, do we? I wish there was more to his character, because he's pretty cool.
-Sparrow