Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Rhapsody of Tears ❯ Moonlight Melody ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
SD-Sephiroth: [slices the door down with his Masamune and glares at SD-K-chan] I DEMAND to be in this story!
SD-ME: *sweatdrop* Umm, Sephy-dear... that wasn't your LINE.
SD-Sephiroth: *bigger sweatdrop* [tucks his Masamune away] Ahem, Final Fantasy VII belongs to Squaresoft. [returns to glaring at her] I STILL want to be in the story!
SD-ME: Sephy-honey, you're annoying me today, but if you come here and give me a back rub, I'll think about it... *grin*
SD-Sephiroth: *tiny sweatdrops all around his head* ........................................................................... ........................... [weighing the options]

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"It's so warm," she giggled, snuggling into the thick, white coat. She skipped ahead and then turned around. "But aren't you cold, RuRu?" she asked, turning around, and walked backwards. He smiled and shook his head. Really, he wasn't cold because he was wearing a thick turtleneck beneath another layer of clothing. Even if he was wearing just rags, he wouldn't mind giving it up for her.

Aeris ran back to him and grasped his hand. Looking worried, she told him, "But your hands are so cold."

He chuckled and lifted their hands up to show her it was the opposite. "Not anymore," he said with a smile, indicating that holding her hand would warm them up just as good as tucking them into his pockets, but she didn't seem to understand.

She tilted her head to the side, staring at their interlocking hands, trying to grasp his meaning. Then she burst into giggles when she finally understood, wrapping both her small hands around his, and pulled him down the street. They walked together for a bit until they came to a quarter of the sector that seemed a bit high class.

Rufus frowned at the sight, reminding him of what he had, but Aeris seemed to find the sparkling lights beautiful. They stayed off to the side, near the alley, as they watched the upper class enter and exit these extravagant buildings. The sheer elegance was mesmerizing, but Aeris looked elsewhere, finding a faint, piano melody drifting through the air. She pulled away from Rufus without him realizing it until she was pulling him along by the hand.

"Aeris?" he called, "What is i--?"

She had turned around and hushed him with a finger to his lips. She leaned close to him and whispered, "Do you hear that?" They were silent, listening intently for the sound. Aeris fell in love with the melody and began to hum to the music, swaying her head side to side. Rufus smiled as he watched her, but he no longered paid attention to the music because he could, and would, only hear her voice.


Rhapsody of Tears

written by K-chan

Chapter Three: Moonlight Melody


"Damn that Hojo," Rufus cursed, leaning against the elevator wall, as it descended. He would've called back and shouted a few more obsene words at the man, but knowing how eager he was with his projects, he would no doubt be on a helicopter right now. Even if he came, all Rufus had to do was shove him back on that same chopper and send him home. Actually, he didn't have to do it himself. It would be easily done with the TURKs.

He smiled smuggly at the thought, and when the elevator stopped, he stepped out and walked towards the exit. He left the building, not surprised at all by the vehicle parked at the curb for him, but he had stopped in midstep at the image of the beautiful, young woman waiting for him.

Aeris blushed, looking shyly at the ground she somehow found interesting at that moment. Tseng was indifferent to the scene, but he silently wondered why his superior was acting so different with Aeris, like they knew each other before. In the car, Elena quietly watched what she thought was some romantic drama being unfolded before her eyes. She would've found it nauseous, but this one was very different--very real, yet at the same time seemed so unearthly.

Rufus slowly descended the steps, not taking his eyes away from her. Ever since he saw her again, he had felt some sort of spell wash over him and place him in an endless trance, like a dream that never acknowledged the missing time between them. He noted every single detail about her, from her flowing, luscious hair to the timid, green eyes that made her appear like a bunny peering up at him.

He stood right in front of her and reached his hand out to her chin and lifted her face up to him. She was surprised at his actions, but he just smiled, "Let's have dinner, shall we?" At that, Tseng opened the back door for them, and Aeris went in first, then followed by Rufus. He went to the front and climbed into the passenger seat as Elena started the car.

The drive wasn't far because the restaurant that Rufus had reserved was along the shoreline, just a few blocks from his office building. During the whole ten minutes, the whole car was quiet, but Aeris swore everyone could've heard her heartbeat thudding against the wall of her chest. She initially made space between them, but when Rufus got into the car, he pulled her close to him like he couldn't let her leave this time.

She liked the closeness to him, but the nagging voices in her mind told her it was all wrong. It wasn't right because they were on opposing sides; he was her enemy because he was a Shinra, the one in control of all the Mako Reactos that was harming the Planet. But if she could convince him to shut them down, then everything would be fine, right? And if she could get him and the TURKs to join the others in stopping Sephiroth's madness, then they could make a happy ending quicker, right?

'Foolish child...'

She blinked at the echo of those words and frowned slightly, wanting a more in depth conversation with the voices, but Rufus said, "We're here." The car gradually came to a stop in front of a two story building, where the front was complete made of glass. The scene reminded her of the time she and Rufus stood in the cold, watching the beautiful people walk in and out of the restaurants and theaters.

The car door opened, and Rufus went out first. He turned back and held his hand out to her. Aeris accepted the help out of the car. She was too speechless to say anything, just stare at the magnificent restaurant like a child admiring the jars of sweets in a candy store.

He smiled at her child-like innocent, but he turned to Tseng seriously, speaking in a low tone so Aeris couldn't hear him, "Before you two leave, I want you to give Reno and Rude a call. I do NOT want to see Hojo set foot in Junon. It's better for him to remain in Midgar, where it's SAFE."

Tsend nodded, never questioning his superior's orders--plus, he never liked Hojo anyway. He watched Rufus walk towards the entrance with Aeris by his side. When they were gone from sight, he got back into the car with Elena ready to drive off. "So, we're ready to go?" she asked him.

"Not yet. Reno and Rude have an assignment."

"Okay." And the car drove off.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

The couple just stepped through the entrance way, but they were immediately flocked by people, who seemed to be acquainted with Rufus. They exchanged a few words, and even Aeris received compliments on her beauty as well as questions and jealous glances from some of the ladies. Rufus excused them and escorted Aeris away from the crowd, just in time for the host to greet them.

"Mr. Shinra, welcome! I have the floor reserved as you requested. Please, this way." With the two menus tucked beneath his arm, he ushered the pair towards the stairway that winded up to the second floor.

They followed the man, but Aeris leaned over to Rufus and whispered, "You reserved the WHOLE floor?"

He smiled, "Yes, the whole floor just for you." She blushed and stayed quiet until they were upstairs, staring at the dimmly lit area. All the tables and chairs have been cleared off to the side except for one in the center. Candles were lit, and a small bouquet of red and pink roses decorated the top.

Aeris stepped towards the table as Rufus watched her. Every little thing had amazed her since they had arrived, and it was such a wonderful feeling seeing her so awed, and her face was radiating with such intensity it was hard not to notice.

'Like an angel lost on earth.' It was the same thought he had when he first saw her, kneeling silently in front of a dying bird. He had run for so long, for so far. He just wanted to get away from his father and the stupid company. He hated the man who was the cause of his mother's loneliness and ultimately, her death. But it was that fateful day, standing in the middle of nowhere he'd recognized, wanting to just curl up and cry, but crying was only for the weak, his father had said. He didn't want to be weak; he had to be strong--become stronger so nothing would ever hurt him again.

He collapsed on the ground, weary from all the running. His breathing was rapid and strong, and he could see the misty clouds forming from every exhalation. Through the chilly breaths, he saw a bright color off near the corner. He squinted his eyes, wondering how such a dismal place like the slums could have something so pink. Then he realized it was a little girl in a pink dress with only a thin cloak to protect her from the cold. Her caramel hair was neatly braided and dangling down her back.

Not only was it her appearance that caught his eyes, but the words he heard just grabbed his heart, "It's okay, little one. This pain comes and goes, just like all life on the Planet." He watched her intently and staggered towards her direction, listening to the one-side conversation.

"Hmm? Your family? The Planet will take care of them," she nodded, wanting to reassure the dying creature, "It's hard to let go of the things you love, but it's time for you to move on, right? Because you can't do anything for them, even if you wish you could."

He stopped dead in his tracks, staring at the her small form. The soothing words she spoke, it was like she had directed them to him, hoping to ease his pains of a loss one, but how could someone so young hold such understanding and knowledge of life and death. And here she was a little girl kneeling before a dying animal without a single tear. He was certain she would pour her heart and tears for such a poor, helpless creature, but she remained calm and even provided words of comfort.

He knew then she just wasn't an ordinary girl. No, she was definitely special. Her beautiful green eyes met his blue ones, but it all became a blur after that. "Aeris," he whispered.

"RuRu? Are you okay?" she asked, standing in front of him.

"Hmm?"

"Thank goodness," she sighed, relieved, "I thought I'd lost you again." The host was nowhere in sight, which he quietly thanked, and he finally embraced her like he had been waiting for. His arms wrapped securely around her, pressing her against his body. She was surprised at first, but she understood his feelings and put her arms around him too, snuggling against his warmth.

It felt so good to hold her again. He buried his head partially into her hair, drowning himself into her scent. "I thought I'd never see you again," he said huskily. "That day... you never came."

"I know," came her soft reply, "I was sick, and mother wouldn't let me leave the room. I wanted so much to see you... because I knew... I knew I wouldn't see you again. That night, I cried. I haven't cried since my mother passed away, but that night, the tears just came to me. But I'm so happy now. You're really here. You're right here with me, aren't you, RuRu?"

"Oh Aeris!" He just held her there in his arms, afraid that if they pull away, they would never see each other again. "Don't ever leave me again, Aeris. Just don't." They continued to stand there in their embrace, and a waiter just retreated when he saw the two together, not wanting to disturb the moment--even so, he had a job he couldn't afford to be fired from. He paused and glanced back at the couple frozen in their time, and he had to admit the romance was in the air that moonlit night.


TO BE CONTINUED...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

[wailing] I can't help it!! I just keep coming back to this story and writing and writing!!! They're just SO cute!!! *sweatdrop* Anyway, don't worrie, everyone, this story WILL have a happie ending!! They won't die! They just CANNOT DIE!!! Not while I'm writing!! [gets quiet] Err, actually, I did think about an ending where ONE of them dies, but that just got me TOO depressed, so I'm making it a happie one with lots of romance!! Wow, I can't believe I'm writing a piece with THIS much romance!

To Mint-san... You're sillie. Hee, but don't worrie about the synopsis... [glances at the story] I don't think it'll be following that anymore, but thank you though!!! Umm, could someone tell me where and what Hojo does throughout the rest of the game until he uuh, dies, right? I hope bringing Hojo into this is okay... just needed some sort of conflict since Cloud-tachi won't get to Junon yet. Plus, I haven't thought about what they're gonna do there yet either.

All the girls can be good friends if they wanted to--they just need to get to know each other better and get their misunderstandings cleared. I think I'll make a happie TseLena in this story. But umm, who should I add to make it a love triangle, square, polygonal shape?!! [frowns] Uugh, there's always Scarlet strutting her stuff... Hmm, I guess Cloud, being pissed off at his inability to keep Aeris safe... that should be interesting since then Tifa will think he likes/loves Aeris... then Reno the player... and Tseng the worry-wart, older-brother guy... Haha, not really a worrier, but he just doesn't show his caring side as much, ne?

Anyways... ooh oooh, please check out my other NEW story that just came to me yesterday!! It's a working title: " Thank Goodness for Reality "!!!! You'll be surprised of the relationships in that one.

Oooh, and check out my sketch of Aeris that I just did, though RuRu's in the background: < http://w2.oekakies.com/p/hineko/p.cgi > =^-^=