Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Children of Shin-ra ❯ The Adventures of Gallohan : The Radiant Prince ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Children Of Shin-ra

Chapter 4 - The Adventures Of Gallohan : The Radiant Prince

"Whence this fresh land became free;

Reliev'd from the Centra's swarthy grasp ..."

The young woman on stage droned on in old-fashioned language, while the audience sat motionlessly in the sweltering mid-afternoon (motionlessly, except for the munching of Eddie's mouth).

"Thine king from eras ago, speaketh forth ..."

Rouge leaned to her left, towards Thomas.

"How long am I gonna have to sit here?" she whispered. Thomas glanced briefly at his watch. He felt cruel.

"Five hours not including the hour-long interval." he said, matter-of-factly. Rouge slouched in her seat and started to whimper. She tried in vain to follow the words of the play, but it was far too difficult. And, there were no distractions for her either; well, except from the scantily clad men sitting all around her.

The prologue finished, and a lazy applause ensued. The only people who seemed to be paying any real attention were James and Blossom, upright in their seats, eyes alert and forward to the stage. Next, a chubby man shuffled on stage, a large, fake beard stuck on to his chin. He seemed to have some difficulty in moving around under the vast velvet cape and animal furs; the perspiration from the heat was already forming on his brow. Behind him, a little man who looked like a court jester skipped on, bells jangling wildly. The chubby man sat down heavily on an un-stable looking throne, which gave a stifled creak on cue.

"What say you, Fool?" the man said, "My born and bred young sir is gone away. Sir Lichson accompanies him, so far as the sun can see, as it will ever see, for time everlasting. A churlish action. Prithee, what say you, is Gallohan to stay long?"

"I cannot say, Majesty." the Fool said.

Rouge leaned over to James, who was sitting on her right side.

"What's going on, James?" she asked.

"Why do you ask me?" he said, not taking his eyes off the dancing Fool ("Anon, I shall caper for thee. Shall I frolic 'til dawn for thine folly, my lord?"

"'Tis dawn now, knave."

"Oh.").

"'Cause you're intellect ... ual." Rouge stammered. James chuckled. Yes, so that was what his youngest sister thought of him. Someone to use as a tool, someone to ask for help whenever it was convenient. James had come to expect no less.

"The King's son, Gallohan, has gone off with Sir Lichson." he explained in a whisper, pointing to the chubby king on stage, who was currently drummming his fat fingers on the throne's arm-rests, as the Fool did back-flips and pranced around ("Decist, sirrah, decist that now." said the king). Rouge squinted at the short man in the role of the Fool.

"James." she said, "I think - I think I recognise that little guy."

James looked.

"Are you sure?" he asked, as he and the King left the stage and the palace backdrop was raised to reveal a forest scene. Backstage, the Fool took of his hat with a tinkle and a grumble.

"I hate this costume." he whined. A woman glanced over.

"But it really isn't much different to your normal outfit, Jemaro." Lieuna said. As she said this, Zakiran and Bruce brushed past.

"Let us through, we're on now!" Zakiran cried, sheathing a rather rusty stage sword.

"Lieuna." Jemaro said when they had gone on stage, "What do you think of that other guy?"

"Who, Dresdin?" she said, flipping through the script as if it were a magazine.

"Yeah."

"I'm not sure. You?"

"He's ... strange. Where on Earth do you know him from?"

"I don't know him. I thought you knew him."

"I don't know him."

There was a pause. Then:

"Must be Zakiran!" they cried in unison.

"It's his fault!" Jemaro exclaimed, slamming his hat down hard on the table.

"Oh dear, he sure does pick up some strange people." Lieuna sighed.

Dresdin came out of his dressing room (well, he liked to call it a dressing room. The others called it a tent) in a cloud stage makeup and dust, and sidled to where Jemaro was standing.

"You're up soon, aren't you?" He directed this question at Lieuna, who nodded but did not look up from the script. Dresdin rubbed his sweaty hands together in satisfaction.

"Ahh, I do know this play very well. Wouldn't you agree, my little friend?" he said to Jemaro.

"I guess." he replied, and made some excuse about 'attending nature's call' and went off, shoes and collar jingling.

James studied the program as the scene changed. There had been lack of culture in his childhood, as he had never accompanied his siblings to the cinema or the theatre, but had done schoolwork instead. He knew that Blossom was very into these things and art, so now he was making up for lost time.

'What am I doing this all for? Maybe I'm trying to impress her ... no no, I'm her brother, I don't need to impress her.' he thought. A clear, resounding voice cut through the air between the program and his face.

"Now is the spring of our sojourn ..." it said. James raised his eyes to the stage. The actor who had spoken was playing Gallohan, and another, as Sir Lichson, was standing stolidly behind him.

"I hear the rustle of newly sprouted leaves, as our footsteps are ..."

James thought he had seen this young man before, and adjusted his glasses. He was good-looking, with round, copper coloured eyes which twinkled with the light of the summer sun, and silky black hair which hung in bangs over his face.

"The eastern road is here. Whence to a fair and distant land ..."

'This is odd ..." James thought, frowning, "Wasn't he -"

And then he realised. This was the man ... him, and another, were the ones who had shot him during the riot. Thomas had killed the other, but this one had escaped ...

James stood up and made his way to the aisle, tripping over chair legs and bags.

"Where are you going?" Blossom asked, taking his hand.

"I - I have to ..." he trailed off as he got to the end of the row. He didn't notice the complaints from the people in the row behind, nor the two young men who attentively watched his movements. Blossom followed him, carefully stepping over feet, and dashed down the long aisle to his side.

"James!" she said, grabbing his arm and stopping him. They were out of earshot from the actors and the audience.

"What's the matter?" she asked him. James stared vacantly out towards the ocean. A cool, afternoon breeze started to whip up, throwing Blossom's hair around.

"I'm sorry Blossom." he said, looking down at his feet, "I just suddenly felt ... dizzy."

Blossom stifled a giggle.

"What?" he asked her. She shook her head.

"It's just that ... for a biology student, you use some pretty bad slang for some things!" she laughed, letting go of his arm.

"Yeah? I guess it's so Eddie and Rouge can understand me. You know." he said, but not vindictively. Blossom dug her toe into the soft sand.

"So, are you coming back?" she said.

"No. I think I'll head back to the hotel for a lie down." James said, stretching his arms out as tired people do.

"Do you want me to come - keep you company?" Blossom suggested. Their eyes met. James took a step back.

"What - in my room?"

"Well, yeah, I suppose so."

"... n-no, you stay and watch the show." James said, and left her. Blossom turned, feeling like she could slap herself.

"You idiot, Blossom." she said agrily to herself, "How disgusting that sounded ... keeping him company in his room?! What must he think of me?"

She then became aware of a woman walking swiftly in her direction. She was dressed very oddly, as if she belonged in the play ...

"Are you Blossom Shin-ra?" she asked as she drew near. Blossom gulped.

"Well, erm, yes." she stuttered.

"Good. Please come this way. Your brother, Thomas, has requested your presence." Lieuna said, for it plainly was her, even through all the heavy make-up. She led Blossom behind the stage, and up a few steps into a cool, covered area.

"Where is my brother?" Blossom asked.

"He's right behind you." came the brisk reply.

There he was, bound and gagged against a chair, his dark, sombre eyes lowered through utter humilation. Blossom gasped, but felt a pair of strong arms wrap around her torso.

"Be quiet." said Zakiran, who quickly tied her up with rope, "Don't make any sound, or he gets it." He nodded towards Thomas. Lieuna tapped him on the shoulder.

"The other two are done." she said, as Bruce entered the area, pushing a bewildered Eddie and a shocked Rouge in front of him. They were bound as well, and had to hop along as their legs were tied together.

"Well done, Bruce, Lieuna." Zakiran congratulated, pulling Blossom to another chair and tying her to it. Rouge and Eddie were then attached back-to-back and shoved into a corner. Zakiran turned to Lieuna.

"When you go out there, make sure that no-one has noticed their disappearences." he instructed her. She nodded, and went out. Jemaro and Dresdin entered from the stage, wiping their foreheads on their sleeves. Dresdin, not seeing the captives, headed straight for his tent.

"Good, I see the plan went successfully." Jemaro commented after he had gone.

"This is all a piece of cake. Who's gonna know that we did it?" Bruce said.

"Yeah, it's easier now that there's only four of them to worry about. You and Divan got the other one." Jemaro added. The prisoners all looked up, eyes wide. What did he mean, 'got the other one'? Was he refering to James?

"James Shin-ra, weren't it, Zak?" Bruce said, "The clever one, right?"

"Supposedly clever."

"Tall, dark hair, glasses?"

"Yup."

"Ahhh, I see." Bruce glared at Thomas.

"He looks like trouble, though." he said snidely.

Jemaro laughed.

"Oh come off it, Bruce, he's no match for you!" he said, prodding Bruce's large arm muscles.

"That's true, Jemaro! And you know," Bruce said, averting his eyes to Blossom and Rouge, "The ladies sure are stunners. Wouldn't you agree, Zak?"

Zakiran bent down beside Blossom, studying her face.

"Yes. You're right." he said presently.

"Oh, quick, you two are on!" Jemaro cried, pointing to the stage. They ran on, while Jemaro went into a tent on the left side. The four captives silently waited in the gloom of the room, confused and almost certainly awaiting an untimely end ...

"I would soon leave all my senses, and methinks, wander with a homely stranger, to yonder glorious abandon?" Lieuna said, clasping her hands together in a dramatic pose. Leo Inglai turned to his friend.

"This is terrible stuff. Joey, what's she saying now?" he whispered. Joey shrugged.

"I dunno. I don't understand anything they've been saying for the past ... well, the whole thing, really." he said, glancing desparately at his watch.

"It doesn't really help that it's all in some sort of weird Gaian-speak." Leo added.

"Yeah."

"Joey?"

"Yeah?"

"Umm." Leo motioned to the two empty seats in front of them, "Those two been gone a very long time."

"You're right. But they'll come back. Their bags and stuff are still here. And the other three've been taken away. They've gotta notice something soon."

"I guess. ... I'm still worried."

"Do ya wanna look for 'em, then?"

"Ok."

"Ok."

The two tip-toed their way to the centre aisle, but stood stock-still once there.

"Where should we look, Leo?"

"Err, I dunno."

"How 'bout the hotel?"

"Good thinkin', Joey."

"Let's go."

The hotel reception was practically deserted when they got there, except a single man waiting with a luggage case by the main door. Joey produced a crumpled piece of paper from his pocket, and smoothed it out as best he could.

"Ok, so James and Blossom are in the penthouse." he said, reading off the sheet. Leo pressed the switch for the elevator.

"Let's hope that they're safe, man." he said.

"Yeah, I certainly hope so."

As the elevator carried them up, Leo ran a hand through his thick, curly hair.

"Ahhh, I need a haircut." he complained. Joey grinned at him.

"My hair grows really slowly. I only need to cut it 'bout once a year."

"You're lucky, man. I wish I had slow-growing hair."

"I guess."

The elevator stopped abruptly, throwing the two young men off balance. They stumbled out into the penthouse corridor, dimly lit by mood lighting. The door to the apartment was down the hallway to the left, and Leo made a beeline for it.

"Wait!" Joey called after him, "We - we can't just burst in there, man. We'll have to tell them who we are."

"And give the game away?" Leo said, knocking on the door.

"What game? They'll have to find out sometime anyway. Might as well be now."

"Fine, fine."

"Is there anyone in there?"

"I think I can hear something."

"What?"

"Movement."

"Ohh. Who?"

"I dunno."

"Let me listen." Joey said, pressing his ear to the door. He thought he could hear footsteps in the next room, progressively moving closer towards the door. After a few seconds it opened, making Joey jump back in some effort to regain a decent posture. James appeared in the doorway, clad in a pale blue shirt and white boxer shorts.

"Yes?" he asked, his brow furrowing at the pair of young Eastern men. Leo cleared his throat.

"Well, um, Mister Shin-ra, we, err, you see ... Joey, you do this, man, I'm no good at this." he said.

"Ok, let's start over; my name is Agent Baline, and this is Agent Inglai." he said, pointing to Leo for the last part.

"Hi ...?" James said.

"We work for a special agency, legalised under Clause 915-P of the Shin-ra Protection Act, established five years ago." Joey went on, smiling because he had remembered the Clause's code number. James looked fairly stunned.

"I - I never knew about this ..." he muttered, half to himself.

"You're not really meant to." Leo said, "It's just that ..."

"It's important at this moment in time." said Joey. They both watched in anticipation for a reply, as James scratched his head.

"So ... why's it important now?" he eventually asked. Joey leaned in closer, lowering his voice to a whisper.

"Do you know where Thomas, Rouge and Eddie are right now?" he said.

"At the beach ... right?"

"... sorta. But they're not watching the play." said Joey.

"We believe that they've been taken hostage by TORNADO, who actually are putting the play on."

Leo added quickly. James did a double-take.

"WHAT?!" he cried out, grabbing the two by their collars. Neither of them were particularly tall, and James towered over them both.

"We came to tell you ..." Leo choked out.

"And - to check that - you were safe." spluttered Joey. James released his grip. It was unlike him to be violent, but there were few things more important to him than his younger brothers and sisters.

"I'm going to help them. Will you accompany me?" he said, determindly. They nodded, and started for the elevator. James closed the door of his penthouse, still in his underwear, and Leo noticed it. James shrugged, nearly laughing at himself.

"Well, it won't look so out of place on the beach."