Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Complete Opposite ❯ Chapter II ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: Thanks for helping on Zack’s name. I guess he never really did have one, but I’ll keep Knightblade there. I mean, Donovan just sounds too normal, and really, FF is NEVER normal.
Disclaimer: All works of the FF series belongs to Tetsuya Nomura and those of Squaresoft®. I don’t own anything other than the English copy of the game and a guide.
Warning: Spoilers, AU and C/S. (I’m sure language and violence is nothing new, so I won’t mention it again.)
Italic – thought
Bold Italic – Gaea Speech
---
The Complete OppositeBy KazChapter II
---
Glowing blue eyes fell upon the platform in the middle of the city, the platform where he last saw her alive. He hopped across the stones that led to it, lowering his gaze to the clean, marble floor. No blood was spilt when Aeris had been...
Cloud squeezed his eyes shut. He knew she was dead and accepted it but it still broke his heart that he couldn’t – didn’t –do anything to prevent it.
Gaea... The least I can do for her is visit this place every so often to give her a gift.
He shrugged his pack off and opened it, revealing a single flower in a glass case; the same kind of flower the last Cetra had sold to him. Amazingly, when Meteor came down upon Midgar, several flowers were spared of the destruction of the city. Cloud had saved those flowers and kept them in special glass cases, preserving their beauty and natural state so that he could bring them to Aeris. The remarkable part about it was that when he came back to present another one, the previous flower and the case would be gone, as if Aeris herself came by and picked up the present, taking it with her.
The flower he gave to her this time was unfortunately the last that he saved. He hoped to find others like it, but it seemed that only the deceased flower girl grew them. He laid it in the center of the platform, where the light shining from somewhere above was strongest. Then, he knelt as he always did by the lake, unlatching his sword and laying it next to him. His hands were clasped under his chin, head bowed as he had seen her pray.
Gaea... I’m sorry for what’s happened to you.
It was through habit that he apologized to the earth, feeling that it was partially his fault that all that had happened did.
I hope the future for those of Midgar and the entire Planet is for the better. We both know that you have experienced the worst time. A year for you is but a day, not nearly enough for you to heal all your wounds. The troubles JENOVA and Sephiroth gave you caused you great pain and we did not do much to ease it.
You are wrong, Cloud Strife.
Cloud’s eyes snapped open. Jerking his head up he saw a strange glowing light above him. He pulled back to sit on his heels, looking at the light as it formed into the shape of a woman in a long green flowing dress, simple and decent. The sleeves were long and slightly fanned and leaves and vine patterns decorated the skirt. Her hair was dirt brown and fell to her knees. Around her forehead was a crown of intertwined vines and leaves. Her eyes were blue like the sea and sky of the Planet.
I rearranged that paragraph a bit, since you repeated what she was wearing
She descended, letting her bare feet touch the marble floor. Hello, Cloud Strife.
Cloud’s eyes widened slightly as he stared at the woman. It wasn’t that hard to realize who she was but even so, he had to ask. “G-Gaea?”
Yes. Your heart mourns, echoing in such a silent place. What is the matter?
Cloud lowered his gaze, lowering his hands to his lap, “Nothing, Gaea.”
The incarnation of the Planet smiled. Really? Your heart and soul says different.
Cloud sighed and shook his head. “Then you already know.”
Child, fear not. You will be happy, I assure you but first, I have a task for you to fulfil.
Cloud looked up, confusion evident in his eyes. “What do you want me to do?”
The woman’s gentle expression became saddened. She smiled a bit, though it was full of sorrow, expressing her dislike of the subject. I need your help, Cloud Strife. I cannot think of a better person than you to ease her pain.
“Who, Mother Gaea?”
Gaea’s smile softened. You could say that she’s my sister. After her own time in peril, it seems that her own saviour is needed again. But he is in pain, Cloud Strife, as are you. His pain is far different from yours. I need you to help her and him both. Our Father feared the danger that she would face. She sighed a bit, outstretching her arms, beckoning him to rise. As he obliged, she continued. Cloud Strife, as my own knight, please help her.
Cloud frowned. “What kind of trouble is your sister facing?”
I cannot say. ...In fact, I do not know for sure myself. All I know is that she will surely die in her attempt to save herself if she is not aided. I cannot do much but I will send her one of my own.
Deleted a few words
Cloud nodded. “I’ll help you, Gaea. I have no reason not to... Do I leave immediately?”
The sooner, the better, you have all that you need, Cloud Strife; you will learn to survive her lands. Please, help her.
The blond picked up his sword and secured it in its straps again, shouldering his pack. “I will.”
And don’t worry, Gaea added, smiling kindly and drawing him into a loose hug. Nothing will happen here. And you should know: she adores your gifts and sends her own gift in return... She wishes for your happiness.
Cloud’s eyes widened slightly at the woman’s words, staring at her as she pulled back and began to murmur words in her own language. Strangely, he understood what she said, but wasn’t given time to confirm what she said as he started to glow and lift off the ground. He kept his eyes on Gaea, slight fear rising in his eyes but as the woman caught his gaze with a smile on her face and in her eyes, he was reassured that wherever he was going, he would be fine.
...Hopefully.
Before the light swallowed him and he disappeared from the Planet, Gaea’s words rang out to him. Cloud Strife, I give you my sincerest apology. What you will go through will most likely be your hardest experience yet. So please, take care.
Cloud Strife.’
Cloud turned around in the sea of green, lifting his brows at the sight of the same little girl that gave him the Holy materia.
The road will be hard, but you will survive. Remember, you are Cloud Strife.’
Cloud frowned as the girl suddenly turned around and skipped off, grinning back at him over her shoulder.
You’re Cloud Strife...’
Cloud made a move to follow her but stopped as another called his name.
Cloud...’
Turning, he saw it to be what he thought was a futuristic Marlene.
Thanks for the flower, Cloud. I’m sorry if I treated you with hostility, but you were just so unique, so strange that I couldn’t help but back away in wonder and slight fear. I mean, how else would a little girl react to a being such as you? After all, you ARE Cloud Strife.’
She smiled and vanished. Cloud blinked as yet another person called upon him. Turning once again, he saw it to be Tifa.
You’ve sure matured since I last saw you Cloud. The last time I ever set eyes on you, really, was when you were small. You were always getting into fights as the drop of a hat. Heehee. But now, you’re grown up. What am I supposed to suspect from Cloud Strife?’
She circled him, vanishing when he turned his head the other way when he was out of his line of vision.
Yo, Cloud!’
Cloud spun to meet the six-foot dark man with that large gun still attached to his arm.
What the f are you doing just standing there for! Get yer ass in gear and help!’ the dark man ordered, waving his left hand in a random direction. When Cloud merely stared at the man, he snorted. ‘Ah, you’re just a punk as I always thought. But then again, you’re Cloud Strife, right?’
With that, he aimed a punch at the blond. Cloud flinched on instinct but as he did, the fist and the man disappeared before there was any contact.
Cloud?’
Cloud looked to his right to see a speaking lion-like creature approach him, looking up at him through his one good eye.
I thank you. I do not particularly enjoy the company of two-legged creatures, but you have shown me that there is a side of good to them. Bugenhagen gives his regards, though we both know that he is not here.’ The lion shook his mane, his headdress shifting with his head. His tail with the flaming end flipped from side to side as he approached the blond, sitting on his rum by his feet. ‘You have taught me more in a year than I have on my own for the past few decades. It was a pleasure to fight along side you for the sake of the Planet, Cloud Strife’
The creature stood back on all fours and circled the blond’s legs, nudging the back of his knees with his head for a moment before disappearing.
Hey, numbskull!’
Cloud rolled his eyes as he faced Cid, cigarette on the corner of his mouth.
What kind of pansy are you? “Let’s mosey”? Pfft. You #!&$ pansy.’ The man took a long drag and blew it out near Cloud, continuing. ‘But hey, savin’ the Planet and all is fine with me as long as I got to kick Sephiroth’s and JENOVA’s asses.’ He approached the blond and roughly patted him on the shoulder. ‘That damn bitch Shera never let me fly into out space and when we did it was a damn beaut’. I, er, am, uh... Ah, f it! You’re the speech boy, Cloud Strife.’
Stomping, the older blond left, disappearing like the rest.
Heya, Cloud!’
Cloud turned once more to meet the youthful face of the Materia Hunter.
How’s it goin’? Got any materia for me?’
As always, the teenager was itching for materia.
The Great Materia Hunter never gets tired of materia!’ She laughed and spun her Conformer in her hand. ‘Materia Hunter Yuffie at your service! So, how’s it going with Tifa and mean old Barret and little Marlene? Father wants to have you back at the temple, you know. The old man’s damn crazy if he thinks you’re easy bait. I mean, you’re Cloud Strife after all. Even I couldn’t get anything from you but a swat on the head.’
She grinned goofily and spun around, laughing as she disappeared, her Conformer spinning in the air as she ran.
Cloud.’
A man the same height as the blond greeted him with a nod and an extended hand, Cloud uncertainly taking it.
I apologize for the trouble I’ve caused you, but as you know I was working for Shinra. I’ve helped you out numerous times, even though I also betrayed you as well. After the fall of Shinra, I truly realized that perhaps I was siding with the wrong people. Even before the collapse of Shinra Inc., I came to my senses. I want to thank you for that, Cloud Strife. You helped me and everyone else more than you know.’
Bowing slightly, he turned away, his body changing to Cait Sith, the actual member of AVALANCHE.
Hey, Cloud. How about I tell you another fortune?’ The Giant Mog did a short dance, the robotic cat atop it grabbing onto the toy’s ears to keep from falling. ‘Here: “You will encounter many problems, but will always come out on top. Your lucky colour is Green.” Ah, well, maybe that’s not a really good fortune, but this thing never worked properly anyway.’ The cat laughed and scratched the back of his head comically. ‘But you, Cloud Strife, don’t need a fortune teller to tell you that the path you walk is rough, huh?’
With a dance, the image vanished, replaced with a raven-haired man caught in immortality as he stood silently behind the blond.
...Cloud.’
Cloud turned to see Vincent greet him with a nod, his bangs falling in his eyes. His long and unruly black hair was kept partially in control by a large red bandana, matching the red cloak that covered his black attire. He saluted the blond with his clawed hand.
My nightmare is far from over. But even so, you have told me without even knowing that I cannot keep dwelling on the past. Lucrecia would never forgive me if I let my life fade away before I could even do anything, especially something beneficial for the Planet. Shinra has cursed me, but Gaea has blessed me with being able to do right for my people. I may still be a monster, but one that can control its emotions and use its power for good. You, Cloud Strife, have encouraged me to continue. ...Thank you.’
With a nod, the man left, disappearing like a shadow.
For a moment, it seemed that all the AVALNCHE members had paid him a visit in this endless green. But he was proven wrong as someone tapped him on the shoulder. He turned around to stare into sparkling green eyes. A gentle smile accompanied those gentle eyes, laughter ringing in the air, though the owner of this face had yet to open her mouth.
Hey Cloud.’
Cloud blinked, the pink-clad girl clasping her hands behind her back and leaning forward slightly to look up at him.
Next time, let’s go on a real date.’ She paused to giggle. ‘I mean, of course having our date at the Gold Saucer was fun, but let’s go out on a date with no strings attached. Let’s go when there’s no trouble or worries to distract us, nor anyone else to bother us. We’ll have a great time! What do ya say?’
She circled him and stopped in her original spot to point a finger at him, her finger just inches away from his nose. ‘You, Cloud Strife, owe me a date.’
And slowly, her smiling face disappeared along with her body, leaving the man alone. ...Or, at least, for the moment.
A hum interrupted the silence, catching Cloud’s attention as he turned to face–
Hiya, Cloud.’
A man with unruly raven hair down to his knees and dark brown eyes met blue eyes.
Ready for another mission? Sephiroth said that we’re going to up to a materia cave this time. Supposedly, we’re retrieving something. Are you ready?’
The man laughed, brushing back a stray lock of black hair.
I’m excited. Man, I got a new materia just the other day and can’t wait to use it. And did you hear of my promotion? Jeez, Cloud Strife, I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy. Ah, I gotta tell my girlfriend back home. You know, the one I told you about; the one with the sweet voice and huge garden? She’ll be happy for me, I know it...’
With a grin, the man left.
And when the silence was interrupted again, no form showed; a voice merely echoed in the blond’s ears.
Cloud... Help me...
Cloud looked all around to find the source of the voice, but only met the eyes of cold green, glowing like his own but unlike his own, this person’s eyes were emotionless.
Cloud Strife.’
The man before him raised his sword, pointed dangerously toward him. Cloud frowned and tensed, reaching instinctively over his shoulder to unhook his sword and face the man. But before he could actually lift his hand high enough to simply grasp the hilt of his sword, the man lunged forward, the tip of the sword piercing his skin, burrowing through his chest until it protruded out his back.
The blond didn’t cough up blood as the sword cut through him, simply hissing, eyes widening as the entire length of the sword went through him, up to hilt. He looked up to meet the cold green gaze of his attacker. But instead of meeting green eyes, he locked gazes with blue. Cloud, on the verge of losing his consciousness, stared at himself. Or rather, he stared at a replica of himself. Eyes still emotionless and face set in a cold mask, Cloud saw himself as he currently was, only he was like what Sephiroth had been.
Closing his eyes, a single voice rang out, echoing in his head.
Cloud, I’m sorry. I do not mean you any harm, but you must understand...
---
AN: Thank you for staying with me, I greatly appreciate it. Obvious AU will come up in the next chapter, so please stay in touch. Oh, and if there’s any plain weirdness that seems far too out of it to be just plain weirdness for the story (if you know what I mean), please understand that I wrote this very late at night, staying up because of family and school reasons. I found it useless to go to sleep, so I wrote this chapter, and any mistakes other than typos are probably caused by my dreariness and lack of caffeine (even though I had a soda right next to me).