Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Complete Opposite ❯ Chapter III ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AN: All stuff from previous chapters still apply here, including warning, disclaimer, and such. Notices will be put up if anything changes...

The Complete Opposite

By XiaoLang

Chapter III

----

“Look out!”

Yuffie rolled forward, barely missing the large paw that slammed to the ground, long claws extended and meant to tear at the girl’s skin. The young brunette yelped and jumped back to her feet, swinging her arm back to throw her Conformer. The Diablo that meant to end her life retreated and lunged at her, meeting her Conformer and its end halfway as she threw it. As it slumped to the ground, she spun around and released a fire spell on a group of floating seahorses called Malldancers. The creatures gave out a screech before dying, falling to the ground. Yuffie turned to retrieve her weapon, immediately facing a pair of Jumping (rabid rabbits, more like it) that looked ready to charge at her. When they did, they didn’t get far as a red blur knocked into them, claws outstretched, ripping at them and immediately ending their life. The blur turned and jumped back the way it came, rolling forward in the air to bring his tail around. He rammed his head to another Jumping and jumped to Yuffie’s side.

Yuffie smiled gratefully at the blur that came to be RedXIII, picking up her Conformer and joining him in battle. Yuffie released another fire spell, letting it circle and engulf a Diablo nearby that tried to sneak up on the vampiric AVALANCHE member while he was dealing with three other Diablos. The man fired his gun twice, each bullet into two of Diablos, hitting them square in the head. For the last creature, he lifted his hand casting a spell that caused immediate death, the creature slumping to the ground.

Vincent turned to meet an odd creature called Hungry that had the ability to shrink another creature to a vulnerable size. He wasted no time in slaying the monstrosity, a single blow killing it.

They do not seem to cease.

Part of the AVALANCHE group came up to Bone Village because of disturbance with the monsters in the vicinity. Strangely, they all reacted to something, randomly attacking those of the village and each other. It was like they were insane.

Almost...

Vincent dodged a row of monsters and released a line of spells to keep them at bay, his gunmanship not nearly enough to keep them all away. Glancing over his shoulder, he caught Red struggling with his own portion of the monsters. Not far off from the lion was Yuffie, busying herself with the villagers and keeping them safe. Alone, the girl was barely enough to keep the citizens from dying, but it wouldn’t be long until they overpowered her.

“Yuffie!”

The dark-haired teen looked up as she slew yet another monster.

“Take the people to the Forest. It’s the best we can do in protecting them. The monsters do not enter that land.”

Yuffie nodded. “All right! I’ll see you guys later!”

With that, she started backing away, leading the people of the village toward the Forest and its sacred grounds, out of reach of the monsters. She heaved a huge sigh and bent forward for a minute break, looking from one person to another. Several of the men from the village were injured from having trying to defend themselves and their family and friends from the monsters. The women were worried and nearly all the children (though few they may be) were crying or simply shocked and scared witless. Yuffie felt bad for these people who were so unfortunate to have experienced this. If anything, she would die trying to help these people.

Straightening up, she threw the people a grin and turned to help her friends. But just as she did, a spot of blue caught her eye. Pausing, she turned back to see something so surprising and terrifying, all her sense was gone and she ran like death was at her heels to her comrades, screaming out their names.

“VINCENT! RED! CID!!”

Hearing the girl’s call, the males retreated as quickly as they could to see what was the matter. Cid was the first to make it to her.

“What the hell’s the matter, girl?” he demanded, expecting something to be chasing after the girl. When he saw nothing out of the ordinary, he growled. “You know, you’re costing our lives. What the hell’s up?”

Yuffie waved her arms around in a frantic gesture. As the other two came, she screamed, “HE’S BACK!!!

None of them had to figure out whom she was talking about. They were all put on alert. Red kept monsters at bay as Vincent formulated a plan. Cid, though, simply started a row of cussing.

“What the f is he doing here?! That #&$ #$&% probably had this fing planned from the start! That #&!%!! And why the f did you leave him there with the villagers?!”

Red glanced back. “Cid, it would be better if we used our time wisely and think of a way to hold back until he gets here.”

Vincent nodded in agreement. “Yes.” Turning to Yuffie, he said, “Yuffie, I would rather you not, but since we do not have much of a choice, I want you to go back and protect the villagers.”

Yuffie nodded and slew a Diablo and a pair of Jumping before running back to the Forest where the villagers stayed. As she reached them, she found them the same as she left them, only settled more comfortably in the Forest. From what she could see, no one was missing, nor did anyone have additional injuries, nor did anyone seem to have died on her. Sighing in relief, Yuffie turned her attention to her surroundings, searching for that blue that caught her eye. To her surprise, it was nowhere around.

“What the...?”

Where her eyes deceiving her? Was she hallucinating? ...How could she hallucinate with something like that? Looking around again, Yuffie saw that nothing from the Forest changed and the area where he had been standing seemed to be undisturbed. Was that possible? Unsure of what else to do, Yuffie jogged back to the males and relayed her information to Vincent.

“He’s not there?” he repeated, firing at a round creature with spikes over its back called a Boundfat. “Are you sure you saw him in the first place?”

Yuffie huffed and sliced into a Jumping, releasing a fire spell at three Malldancers. “Yes! How am I supposed to make this stuff up? I don’t do this to get you angry at me, you know!”

At the girl’s snap, Vincent apologized. He didn’t mean to question her. Rather, he was trying to be sure that it was really him. If it was true, then their peaceful lives would’ve been sent into hell once again. Facing that man once was enough. To face him again would mean putting more pressure on their leader’s heavy shoulders, and though the man was stolid, composed and seemingly emotionless, underneath it was obvious that he was broken and sad. A year’s toil on him had put him down, and even with this year of peace, Vincent knew that the man was still in the shadow.

He looked around him, seeing if he could spot the man himself. He wasn’t given much of a chance to as a row of monsters circled him, trapping him with only one escape. But the only way to get through was to kill half that surrounded him. He glanced over a Diablo’s shoulder to see Yuffie in a worse state.

“Yuffie!”

The girl growled and whipped around, dragging her Conformer as she spun, killing off a portion of the monsters. But it wasn’t nearly enough. A Diablo attacked her blind side, the girl crying out in pain as she fell to the ground. She rolled away, jumping up and slicing a group of Jumping and releasing a lightning spell to keep away a group of Malldancers. Two Diablos kept her from doing much more than that, one of them raising a claw and bringing it down to come over her head. Yuffie lifted her right arm with her shield over it, blocking the attack. The assault put her unbalanced and forced her back to the ground. With a growl of defiance, she released a higher fire spell than before, incinerating the monster in a matter of seconds. She panted and brought her shield up again as two more Diablos pounded her with their paws, clawing at her shield. With struggle, she managed to slay one of them, but wasn’t so lucky when the second Diablo managed to break through her armor and rake her skin.

“Aaah!”

Blood seeping to the ground, Yuffie groaned, her right arm practically useless. She panted and rolled away helplessly, attempting to get away from her attacker. Vincent, Red and Cid glanced in her direction and started shouting her name, urging her to get away. Another Diablo and a few other monsters were slowly making their way to her, her comrades unable to help her as monster after monster kept them busy and separate from each other. They were helpless as the Diablo that caused her blood to flow hovered over her, the girl immobile as she clutched her arm and looked up with one of her eyes squinted, her breath coming out in pants.

I can’t believe this is how I die! By a lowly monster like this one! I would rather die by his hands than now!

Yuffie faced her would-be killer fully, keeping her eyes opened as the claws descended upon her.

To her surprise, it stopped just an inch from her face. Confused, she looked around to see all the other monsters frozen as if a time spell stopped them. Vincent and the others seemed just as confused and curious as well. They glanced at each other but didn’t think of moving in case the monsters would move and attack them again. Yuffie, though, took the chance to roll away from death’s hand and sat a few feet away from the monster, looking about her. Her eyes caught the same blue as before and she shrieked, drawing attention toward her from her comrades. They stared questioningly at her before turning their gaze to her line of vision. Immediately, they were put on alert, weapons ready. Yuffie snatched up her Conformer as a last moment’s thought and stared at the man that emerged from the Forest. He swayed slightly on his feet, eyes glowing strangely and unfocused. The monsters surrounding her and her friends suddenly moved, but instead of continuing to attack them, they backed away, retreating as the man approached them.

“Yuffie!” Cid hissed, running toward her and lifting her off the ground and to safety, Red casting a healing spell over her arm to ease her pain. As the blood clotted and the skin closed halfway over the wound, the four turned their attention to the obviously dangerous man that pushed the monsters away without him even knowing it. “Shit, what’s he doing here? You weren’t fing kidding when you said that he was here.”

“Why would I lie?” Yuffie hissed, keeping her eyes on the man.

But he’s right, why’s he here? Vincent’s red eyes narrowed somewhat as he followed the man’s movements. He seemed to ignore them, continuing to drive the monsters out of the village. It would’ve been stupid to think the man would help them, but he couldn’t help but be grateful in the least. As he exited the village, Vincent turned to his friends.

“Let’s follow.”

Red and Yuffie nodded, Cid cursing before agreeing as well. They slowly followed behind the man as he pushed the creatures back towards the sea. Those nearest to him hissed and growled, animalistic noises echoing in the eerily silent air. In their heads was a voice that told them to strike.

Kill him...

The animals looked at each other in confusion, waiting for someone to initiate the attack. They all growled and hissed at the man until he had backed them up near the edge of the sea, stopping, swaying on his feet, head lolling from side to side as if he could barely keep himself up.

Kill him... Kill him...

Vincent and the others glanced at each other. It was obvious that they were just as confused, but more alert. This man, they knew, had the power to kill them all, but he looked like he couldn’t even defend himself with the way he looked and swayed. Vincent’s eyes narrowed even more, caution and interest lying deep in his eyes.

Kill him... Strike...

The man before the horde of monsters continued to sway, his head tilted back, looking ready to fall back.

Strike... Attack...

“What’s he doing? What are they waiting for?” Cid questioned.

Attack... ATTACK HIM NOW!!

Unable to resist, the monsters suddenly lunged for the man, several Diablos burying him with their bodies. Those watching stared, eyes wide. They all knew he would be able to kill the monsters had he moved, but he didn’t. Why? They watched as the pile grew, more of the smaller creatures hanging back, hovering close to the pile.

KILL HIM!!!

In a flash, the creatures stuck in a pile were blown off, the man underneath them suddenly standing, his pack dropped to the floor with his sword drawn, crystalline and glowing. Though the man’s eyes were still unfocused, his body was alert and knew without his brain telling him to attack. He rushed forward, swiping his blade in the air before a group of monsters, the force creating a razor-like blade, slicing the animals in half. He turned around and deftly swung his sword at the monsters that tackled him, unleashing his Limit Break.

Slash after slash the man worked his way through the horde, killing the monsters singly and in groups, giving none of them a chance to initiate their attack, nor cry out in pain as they died, their bodies falling to the ground and disintegrating, Gaea sending them to the Lifestream where they belonged. Deep crevices were the only marks that told of the battle done, all signs of creatures having been there being the blood they left behind. Only a handful of monsters were left as the man slowed, getting ready to deliver his final blow. The monsters left untouched by the man’s attack continued to hiss and growl at him, slowly backing away, trying to put more feet between them and him. And unfortunately for them, the man followed them with his unfocused gaze, slinking forward at a leisured pace. Those behind him glanced at each other once again before approaching the man just a bit, sure to keep a good distance away.

The man didn’t grin, didn’t smile maliciously, didn’t do anything as he rose in the air, bringing his sword forward in the form of a dagger, dropping to a kneel with half of his sword forced into the earth, the energy and force of the blow creating a small crater in the ground, the creatures surrounding him blown into oblivion.

As he rose to his feet, he jerked out his sword, swaying still. He looked behind him and spotted his small audience, weapons ready and bodies tense, waiting for him to attack them too. But to their surprise, he only smiled a bit, his eyes still unnatural and blank. He seemed like he was about to fall to the ground when something caught his attention, his body freezing. Slowly, he turned around to face another man, this person at least a head taller than him, silver hair flowing around his shoulders, reaching down to his knee.

Something flashed in those blue eyes as he tensed and backed up a step, stumbling slightly. Green met blue, silence passing between them. Green eyes narrowed as he easily recognized the blue-eyed man, hand reaching for his sword. But before he had the chance to, the man fell back, eyes closing as a single word pierced the silent air.

“Sephiroth...”

----

AN: You like? Yes? No? Please send me feedback because I greatly appreciate it. Obviously, this is starting the AU-ness I warned you about. Reviews given are much appreciated and I’m glad you enjoy the story. Please remember to review for this chapter as well and be sure to keep in touch because I’ll be sure to continue this story and update soon.

Converting /tmp/phpkodw4r to /dev/stdout