Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Trust in Love ❯ Chronic Surge of Emotions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1 - Chronic Surge of Jealousy

Squall stood at the foot of his bed, hastily making his dorm bed. He finished quite quickly, and sat down on it… thinking hard about Rinoa. She was leaving to Esthar, because her father got a job position there, that was highly recommended by President Laguna. Caraway insisted that Rinoa come with him, and she did, for his years were passing by swiftly. Rinoa would live in Esthar with her father. The Galbadian Government recently established a law against SeeDs traveling from one continent to the other, and the penalty would be death.

Now Rinoa would be leaving Squall forever, and that thought felt like an arrow shooting through Squall's heart. Rinoa wasn't leaving right away…she would be departing on the coming Monday, and it was Friday at this time. Squall would try to make those last days worth everything.

Squall left his dorm, and began to head for the cafeteria. He was kind of hungry. While making his way around the fountain that was in the middle of Balamb Garden, many SeeD's and Balamb Cadets, many of whom he did not know, greeted Squall. Squall courteously nodded or said hi to them, as SeeD leader, he needed to show respect and etiquette.

Right when he was about to enter the cafeteria, Seifer and Rinoa exited, causing Seifer to bump into Squall. Squall was able to catch a quick glimpse of Rinoa and Seifer holding hands before falling to the floor.

Rinoa pulled her hand from Seifer and helped Squall up, saying, "Are you all right, honey?"

Squall stood and glowered at Seifer, clutching Rinoa's palm. Squall began to hate him more every single minute. It all began when Squall saw Rinoa and Seifer doing something really close behind a library bookshelf…now Squall was extremely suspicious of Seifer.

Squall muttered, "I'm fine…"

"Seifer and I were just going to go to the library for quick research thing…" Rinoa said, straightening out her frilly yellow dress, smiling sweetly at Seifer, then Squall.

Squall snapped, "How long has this project been going on?"

"Three weeks," Rinoa said, smiling at Squall, and it brought warmth to his heart.

Squall then remembered his suspicion of her, and he retorted, "What are you researching? You never told me, Rinoa. What is it? What's the topic? Maybe I can help."

Seifer answered for Rinoa, having a quicker mouth, "Geography of Esthar. Okay? Rinoa wants to help out her father. His new job deals with geography and shit."

Squall pondered for a moment then muttered, "I thought you hated your father. Why would you move to Esthar with him?"

Rinoa smiled and gave Squall a hug and a quick kiss on the lips, and she whispered into his ear, "He's my father and I have to love him. His years are coming swiftly and I need to be with him."

"I need you to be with me," Squall whispered back, glaring at Seifer with the corner of his eye. Rinoa's eyes sparkled like diamonds as she smiled warmly and gave Squall another quick kiss on the lips. Squall heard Seifer grunt.

Rinoa whispered into Squall's ear, "I'll come back for you."

Rinoa dropped her arms from Squall's shoulders and smiled again. Rinoa's smiles always made Squall feel warm inside; her happiness comforted him, even through thick times.

Rinoa murmured, "I'm going to the library with Seifer now."

Seifer took out his hand and beckoned Rinoa to take it, she did, and they walked off towards the library, leaving Squall standing. Squall entered the library, having a huge urge to just give Seifer a good punch in the face.

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

"Hi Squall, the usual?" the lunch lady said, ready to get a hotdog and soda.

Squall shook his head and replied, "No. No. I just want a cup of coffee. I'm not in the mood for anything else."

"What's wrong?" she asked.

Squall snapped, "I don't want to talk about it!"

The lady gave him the cup and he tossed the money at her, and left the cafeteria without another word. Squall was not in the mood to talk about Seifer or Rinoa. He was never in the mood to talk about both of them. What made this day different?

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

Images of Rinoa and Seifer together swirled through Squall's weary head, and he tried his best to block them, by talking to Selphie and Irvine, whom were in the quad discussing Balamb Festivals.

"What's wrong, Squall? You look sick. You okay?" Selphie said, staring at Squall who had a blank expression on his face.

Irvine nodded and muttered, "Something wrong? You can tell us."

Not wanting to snap at his good friends, Squall just shook his head and said, "Stomachache, that's all. Don't worry about it."

Irvine and Selphie nodded and began to talk about instruments. Squall said goodbye to them and left the quad, unsure of where his next destination, because Selphie and Irvine didn't really help block the image of Rinoa flirting with Seifer, or Seifer tickling Rinoa, or whatever.

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

"Training Center now? I can't Squall; I have things to deal with Headmaster Cid. Why don't you ask Zell?" Quistis said when Squall caught up with her at the garden elevator.

"No thanks, man. I'm going out to Balamb to visit my parents. I'm leaving right now. Why don't you ask Rinoa? I saw her going there just a few minutes ago," Zell said.

A look of anger came upon Squall's face. Rinoa was supposed to be at the library with Seifer. Squall decided he would spy on Rinoa and Seifer and see what they do and learn for himself whether Rinoa was deceiving him. A sly smile appeared on Squall's face, and he walked to the Training Center quicker than the speed of light.

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

There in the Training Center was Rinoa and Seifer fighting a single T-Rexaur defeating it with difficulty. Squall hid behind a cluster of bushes and watched Rinoa and Seifer closely.

Rinoa leaned on a tree nearby, gasping for air. She sighed, "That was hard."

"Yeah," Seifer said, staring at Rinoa, whom was looking at the ground. "You were great, though. You got skills."

"Thanks," Rinoa said, smiling at Seifer the way Rinoa smiled at Squall. "No one ever says stuff like that to me, not even Squall. That's really kind of you."

Seifer grinned and whispered, "I can say and do many things Squall can't to you."

He walked to Rinoa and put both hands around her, so she was trapped in between. Rinoa muttered, "What?"

Seifer leaned forward and gave Rinoa a kiss…Squall shook the bush with anger and he saw Rinoa keep her eyes open and stared at Seifer…angrily?

Squall left the bush and left the Training Center as quickly as he had entered it. Rinoa was deceiving him, the woman he loved, the person he trusted most. Now he trusted no one.

Rinoa pushed Seifer off of her, and she hollered, "You jerk! What are you doing?"

Seifer smiled wickedly and said, "Giving you a kiss. A friend kiss."

"That wasn't a friend kiss! What the hell is wrong with you? I have a boyfriend you know!" Rinoa said, leaving the tree, making her way towards the exit with her eyes on Seifer.

Seifer shook his head and said, "That boyfriend doesn't even want you! I do!"

"Seifer!" Rinoa shouted as Seifer reached for her again. "Squall doesn't want me, because he loves me. He doesn't desire for me, he loves me! You just want me. You don't really love me like he does."

"Come on," Seifer moaned. "He will never know."

"I would," Rinoa said. "I would never hurt or betray someone I love, like Squall."

Seifer snarled, "I thought you wanted to be with me."

"What the hell?" Rinoa snarled.

Seifer shouted, "All those times we worked together. We did more than work together!"

Rinoa grimaced at Seifer and said, "We only worked together, to help my dad's career."

"Squall doesn't love you," Seifer snarled.

Rinoa shouted, "You are just jealous that no one loves you like I love Squall. He does love me, and I know it! I'm leaving now, Seifer. Our work is done now, I'm going back to Squall."

"No you don't!" Seifer hollered, running at Rinoa. Rinoa turned and ran away from the pursuing Seifer who looked like a monster. Rinoa let out a frightened whimper and she ran to the place Squall would usually be…the dorm…

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

There was a bang at the door and Squall opened it quickly. Rinoa dove inside and Squall closed the door. Right as he did, there was another huge bang. Squall looked out the eyehole to see a dazed Seifer on the ground, completely knocked out.

"Squall," Rinoa gasped, grabbing Squall around the torso, letting out a stifled cry. She buried her face into Squall's shirt, and dared not to look up, yet she did not know that Squall had witnessed the kiss…and only the kiss.

Squall pushed Rinoa off and snarled, "What do you want?"

"I want to be with you," Rinoa cried, looking up at Squall's angry expression. She could see the hating fire in his eyes, and a single tear dropped from the left. The tear shined and Rinoa couldn't understand why he would be crying.

Squall hollered, "Go to Seifer than!"

"What? I don't want to go to him! I want to be with you, is that so hard?" Rinoa whispered, backing away.

Squall shouted, "I don't want to be with you! Is that so hard? I wanted to be with you a few hours ago, but you didn't. Was it so hard just to spend some time with me? Since you spend time so much with Seifer why don't you go to him? Huh?"

"I don't understand," Rinoa murmured.

Squall screamed, "I saw you and him kissing in the training center! I knew you and Seifer were together. Why couldn't you just tell me?"

"Oh my God," Rinoa whispered. "You saw and heard the whole thing?"

"The whole thing!" Squall screamed.

Rinoa replied, "So do you really love me, the way I love…"

"NO!" Squall hollered. "You and Seifer can go ahead and be together if you want! I won't be in your way anymore!"

Rinoa whimpered, "So this means…it's over? Squall?"

"Yes!" Squall screamed.

Rinoa walked towards the door and quietly said, "I was just was expressing the way I feel about…"

"I never knew someone like you," Squall said, walking towards her. "Could hurt me so much."

Rinoa whispered, "I was just doing what I felt. I thought you'd…"

"Just shut up and get out of my life. I am glad now that you are going to Esthar!" Squall opened the door, pushed Rinoa out and slammed it in her face. Once he did, he leaned on his wall and slid down. Sitting with his knees up, and head down, a tear trickled down Squall's cold cheek.