Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Trust in Love ❯ Telling the Tales ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2 - Telling the Tales (Sunday)

Rinoa and Squall avoided each other for the next days, and it was quite difficult because they both appeared at places at the same time, and somehow always made eye contact.

"Squall," Zell muttered, looking Squall's gloomy face. They were both in Squall's dorm, studying together.

Squall took a picture frame that had a photograph of Squall and Rinoa walking along a garden, he chucked it at his dorm room wall, and there is burst into a million pieces.

Squall shouted, "Why can't I stop thinking about her?"

Zell was unaware of Squall breaking up with Rinoa, and the whole training center issue. He stared at Squall's eyes, and said rather hesitantly, "What about Rinoa?"

"I broke…" Squall mumbled.

Zell gasped, "What? What the hell? You gave up Rinoa? Rinoa Heartilly? You'd better have a fucking good reason to have given up Rinoa!"

"She didn't love me," Squall said.

Zell hollered, "Are you a fucking idiot? She moved from Timber to Balamb just to be with you. God damn it! What made you think she didn't love you?"

Squall snapped, "She's in love with Seifer not me! I saw them kissing in the Training Center! I thought I could trust her! I'm telling you, she's not my type."

"Oh," Zell said, lowering his annoying voice. "It's your loss. Rinoa was hot."

Squall shook his head and images of Rinoa flew through his mind. Images of her being combined with Adel, and images the times they were together alone on the Ragnarok, and images of him and Rinoa kissing. Then he remembered her smile, the only smile that ever made him warm, and her eyes that comforted him in cold times.

"I'm going to go to the cafeteria," Squall said standing up.

Zell asked, "Aren't you going to say goodbye to Rinoa? She's leaving tomorrow, but she's visiting Zone and Watt later tonight."

"No, you say it for me," Squall said, standing.

Zell nodded and said, "I'll come with you, and I'll also talk to Rinoa. There's something wrong in this picture."

Squall and Zell both left the dorm and headed for the cafeteria.

Zell muttered, "Yeah, Rinoa likes Seifer, and she enjoys hanging out with him, but, of course, she doesn't love him."

"Why is that?" Squall snarled.

Zell laughed, "She loves you."

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

"I'm sorry about what I said, Seifer," Rinoa said, standing in front of Seifer in the infirmary. "You were right about Squall. He doesn't love me. He's a cold-hearted lizard."

Seifer growled, "I'm always right. I always knew Squall was a dork."

Rinoa nodded and said, "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I'm going to the cafeteria now. I hope your head and wounds get better. They wouldn't have been there if you hadn't chased me."

Seifer smiled and said, "So you are ready for a relation…"

"No…I just want to be alone before I leave for Esthar with my father. I'm visiting Timber right now, then taking a train to Deiling, and then taking a plane there," Rinoa said. "I don't want to be with you anyway. I'm leaving to Esthar."

Rinoa turned around and left, quietly fidgeting in her blue dress. She didn't turn around and give Seifer any sort of expression.

"Whatever…bitch…" Seifer snarled, lying back on the infirmary bed.

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

Rinoa walked rather slowly towards the cafeteria, tears dripping down her cheeks. She always loved Squall; she should've known that he didn't love her. Rinoa always said that she loved him, yet Squall never said the same. He just smiled or nodded. Rinoa felt so humiliated. The person she trusted most and loved most had made her swim through an ocean of agony and pain.

Quistis appeared coming out of the quad, and she saw Rinoa. Quistis ran up to Rinoa and put her arm around Rinoa's stiff shoulders. Quistis asked, "What's wrong, honey?"

Rinoa cried out, "Squall saw Seifer forcing me to kiss him in the training center."

"Oh my," Quistis said, beckoning Rinoa to sit at a bench, and Rinoa obeyed.

Rinoa wailed, "I pushed him away and told him that I loved Squall and would never betray him."

"What's wrong with that?" Quistis asked.

Rinoa cried out, "Squall probably felt humiliated or something because afterwards, Seifer chased me to the dorm and I met Squall. He pushed me away and said he didn't love me. He kept urging me to go back to Seifer, because he thought I enjoyed the kiss or something."

Quistis remained silent, listening to Rinoa attentively. Rinoa continued, sobbing, "Squall broke up with me. He said he was happy now that I was going to Esthar. God, I miss him."

Quistis whispered, "This is quite strange. Squall isn't like that, maybe he felt jealous or something when you and Seifer kissed and he thought you enjoyed it. Maybe he blocked out the whole other part of the conversation because of his massive anger."

"I don't know," Rinoa sobbed, breaking down. Quistis had never seen Rinoa so emotional before. Her eyes sparkled more than ever since the tears had reflected in the light, and her nose was bright red.

Quistis murmured, "I know Squall still loves you, deep in his heart. Just give him time to regain sense. He's insanely jealous of you and Seifer. I know you and Seifer have been spending plenty of time lately."

Rinoa nodded quietly.

"Rinoa, you are spending time with his greatest rival. And I haven't seen you spend any time with Squall," Quistis said, looking rather concerned.

Rinoa cried out, "I am leaving for Esthar tomorrow! How am I supposed to spend time with him now?"

"He'll come around, Rinoa, I know Squall, just show him that you still love him, somehow someway," Quistis said, massaging the back of Rinoa's head like a mother.

Rinoa whimpered, "What ways?"

"Avoid Seifer," Quistis said. "And try to avoid Squall. Let him come around. I'll talk to him."

Rinoa nodded and thanked Quistis for her words of wisdom. Quistis smiled warmly and headed for the library as Rinoa headed towards the cafeteria.

*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~*

Zell stayed in the cafeteria to eat this Bucket - O - Dozen - Hot Dogs. Squall didn't even try to pry Zell's fingers away from the plastic bucket of hot dogs. As Squall exited the cafeteria, Rinoa, who looked at him then away hastily, walked by.

Squall turned around to watch her gracefully walk towards the lunch line. Squall then turned straight to walk back to the library ready to borrow some magazines.