Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Unforgivable Sinner ❯ Chaos attacks ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ø7. Chaos attacks
Vincent had barely given her the chance to catch her breath before he declared they had to start on their trip back to Rocket Town.
Nodding meekly, Rain hoisted her bag up on her shoulder again and set out to follow the former Turk.
"Cid was awfully angry at Shera," Rain said after a while, gazing at Vincent's back. He was acting just like nothing had ever happened. "When he saw that she'd come to help him, all he did was shout at her."
A brief smile came over Vincent's face that she couldn't see and he cleared his throat. "Don't worry too much about it. He was just worried. He'll forgive her soon enough. Cid Highwind cares a lot about Shera, the thought of loosing her distraught him into the only emotion he knows how to show: anger."
Once again Rain was struck by how much Vincent knew about his fellow comrades by just observing them. "Ok... what else do you know then, mr know-it-all?"
Glancing over at her with something that could only be described as smirk, Vincent raised an eyebrow. "That our dear Miss Lockhart shall soon realise that she is in love with the brat prince of the former ShinRa empire."
Rain gaped as Vincent walked on. "She is not?" Trotting after him, she tried in vain to make Vincent explain further, but got no response.
They walked more or less the entire day, and Rain was utterly relieved when Vincent finally agreed to camp for the night.
A small mountain provided the luckily enough with something reminding of a cave and Rain was packing out some food out of her bag while Vincent was making a fire.
"How's your shoulder?" Rain gazed over at Vincent, knowing she'd never managed half of what he'd done that day with a bullet wound in her shoulder.
Vincent rolled his shoulder carefully, but returned to tossing a piece of wood on the fire. "A bit sore, but that should be expected. I suspect it will be fine in a few days."
A few days? Vincent was truly a fast healer then, but Rain figured it might easily have something to do with the experiments conducted on him.
They ate in silence, and Rain was grateful that Vincent declared he was sitting watch while she got some sleep, but she made him promise to wake her in a few hours so he could get some rest as well.
Of course Vincent had no intension to keep that promise, and he settled himself against the stonewall to keep a watchful eye on their surroundings.
Still, it was strangely peaceful at night. Monsters seemed to have vanished, in fact they hadn't met a single one throughout the entire day, and Vincent wondered where they'd gone. Meteor influence over them was increasing as it approached and had most likely driven them someplace it saw fit.
Gazing up at the burning object, Vincent could almost believe it was a living creature. It seemed too malignant to be a mere object. It seemed too determined to kill them all for the former Turk to truly believe it did not conceal some sort of awareness of it's existance.
A soft whimper made him quickly gaze over at Rain, seeing her turning over on her side but with no danger threatening her. Nightmare.
Vincent knew too well what could haunt a soul in their sleep and he wondered if she still dwelled on the soldier she'd shot.
Probably.
- She's pretty, isn't she? Chaos suddenly leaked into Vincent's mind and the former Turk tensed.
He would not answer the demon, turning back to stare at Meteor with a sickening touch of nervousness in his stomach.
Chaos rarely entered his mind unless it was life-threatening or it wanted something.
- You think she actually accepts you, Vincent? Do you dream that she will stay with you? With us...? Keep the nightmares away?
Vincent gritted his teeth and clutched his head as he felt the demon move, stretching inside him. "Go... away..." He whispered intensely, but was only rewarded with a hissing laugh.
- She was soft to touch, wasn't she? Warm and alive...
Sneering with pain and fury, Vincent grabbed his handgun and lifted it trembling to his temple. "Shut up...!" He cocked the gun, swallowing hard as sweat made black bangs stick to his forhead. "You will not mention her, understand? You are as trapped with me, as I am with you, demon. If I end my life, I also end yours."
- You wouldn't dare...
Vincent made a half-choked laugh, "I wouldn't...?"
He let the gun sink as the demon withdrew into the darkness, closing his eyes. Vincent was so tired...
Chaos possessions always wore him out, fighting with it over control was even worse. Vincent knew the time when he would loose that fight was close...
-
Rain woke up when Vincent was packing their bags and she blinked tiredly against the daylight. What...?
Sitting up, she managed a somewhat glare at him. "You were supposed to wake me up...! Remember?"
Vincent wasn't fazed at all. "We should leave now."
Getting up, moaning softly as her body protested against the hard layer it had been resting on, Rain rubbed her numb hip. "Have you slept at all?"
The former Turk shrugged, "I don't need much sleep. Are you ready?"
Rain remembered what he had said after he'd been sick; 'Sleep is not to be had by the likes of me.'
Awkwardly drawing her hands through her hair, Rain knew she had to look like a mess and sighed resigned. "Yeah... As ready as I'll ever be..."
How was it possible that Vincent's long, silky hair was always smooth and without a single tangle? Maybe she should get a demon or two inserted herself if it would give her hair like that, Rain sulkily mused, feeling more tired than the night before.
She wasn't used to outdoor camping at all.
Rain picked up her bag and strangled a yawn. "Off we go..."
She quickly noticed something was wrong with Vincent. He was even tenser then usual, like he'd been through a terrible fight or waiting for something bad to happen.
A smell caught her attention and Rain stepped up to stand beside Vincent where he'd halted.
The decaying corpse of a huge monster was the sight that met her. Placing a hand over her mouth, Rain swallowed down nausea and fear as she saw all the blood splattered everywhere. Dear Planet... what could have done this...? She already knew. The monsters were growing bigger and more aggressive, like the wolves back at Rocket Town. It would only be logical that they'd start attacking each other as well.
Vincent stared distantly at all the blood, knowing the guilty party might still be close by. They'd better hurry.
Suddenly the Hellmasker screamed insanely and so loud it made Vincent stagger as he clutched his head.
The monster always reacted to blood, but now it was frantic and raging to be freed. Vincent bit back a scream of pain, clutching his head harder.
He couldn't let it get free. With nothing else within reach it would most certainly go after Rain, and who knew what it would turn to after finishing with her?
The thought of her being torn to pieces by the mindless Hellmasker made Vincent fight harder, his breaths comming in strained gasps.
He heard Rain calling out his name, felt her hands on his arm, but he pulled away. "Get... Get away from me...!"
-
Falling to his knees, Vincent realised she was not listening to him as she stayed by his side, kept calling his name.
He doubled over as raw shots of pain raged through his head, and he felt another presence rise up in him as well.
- Burn! Release the fire! Scorch the earth! Ignite the sky! BURN!
The Galiant Beast howled almost louder then the Hellmasker and Vincent convulsed with pain. It wasn't possible. This could not be happening!
His mouth filled with blood as the third presence tried to sound louder than the other two,
- DEATH! KILL! FIGHT!
Death Gigas raw strength sent Vincent on his back, shaking with agony at the inner battle.
Vincent never had a chance to block the most dangerous of them all...
Rain nearly panicked, who was she kidding? She panicked as Vincent fell to the ground, still clutching his head and blood ran from both corners of his mouth.
Convulsing, he didn't hear her calling his name, and suddenly a glow surrounding him.
Scrambling back, Rain stared wide-eyed as his shape twisted and changed, silent tears running down her cheeks.
Wings tore through the red cape and red eyes gleamed maliciously.
Slowly rising in front of her, the demon stretched out it's wings and crossed it's arms, hovering just over the ground.
Vincent's words came back to her; '...I cannot control it...'
She had seen what the other monster had done to the soldiers, and this one seemed even worse!
The demon was studying her, then landed smoothly on his clawed feet, "I am Chaos."
It's voice was deep and soft like a reptile hiss.
Trembling, Rain merely stared at it. What did you reply to a homicidal demon who just possessed the man you trust with your life in front of you very eyes?
'Hi, nice to meet you! How about this weather we're having, huh?'
Chaos walked over to her, ignoring how she backed away with a whimper. "We don't have much time. Vincent will be fighting to return any minute."
"W-what makes you think I'll go anywhere with you?!" Rain sobbed, constantly backing away.
Giving a nasty smile, baring it's deadly fangs, Chaos' hand was suddenly around her arm. "What makes you think you have a choice?"
She screamed as it yanked her close, then it spread it's leathery wings and they were flying.
-
As the ground flew pass them, Rain closed her eyes and cried silently. Yes, she was scared, but more frightened for Vincent not returning than her own safety.
No wonder he was haunted by nightmares...
Lost in her misery, Rain didn't notice they were stopping until they were almost down on the ground again.
As soon as her feet found solid ground again, Rain tore free from the demon, managing it just because it allowed her.
Gazing around, Rain found herself by a waterfall. "Where have you taken me...?"
Chaos motioned towards the cascading water. "The mistress calls."
Mistress? Rain stared as the demon walked into the waterfall and disappeared. Someone was controlling the demon?
Hesitating, she found no way to escape, as the hills that surrounded her present location were too steep for her to climb and the water too wild for her to swim in, then she followed the demon.
True enough; there was a secret cave behind the waterfall!
Inside the cave floor was shiny-blue stone, the walls angular, and the room was completely round.
At the end of the cave there was a soft, white light.
"Did you bring her...?" A soft female voice said, a figure barely visible in the light.
"As promised," Chaos gazed over at Rain, then gave her a shove so she stumbled forward.
Out of the light, a pale woman with long, chestnut coloured hair gazed calmly at her. "So you're 'her'"
Shaking her head in confusion, Rain gazed from the woman to Chaos before back at the woman again. "Why am I here? Who are you?!"
The woman swayed, placing a hand to her eyes, and Rain realised she did not appear well at all. Pale and thin. Much too thin. Almost disappearing in the big lab-coat she was wearing.
"I lost my child," the woman said softly, focusing her eyes on Rain again. "It should have been mine and Vincent's child."
Rain drew a slow breath, fear increasing even more. "Lucrecia..."
-
Chaos suddenly loomed behind Rain, grasping her shoulders hard,"I kept my promise, mistress. Now where is the potion that will free me from Vincent returning?"
Panic raged through Rain and she squirmed to get free in vain. "What do you mean? Vincent has to return! He has to! You can't do this!"
Lucrecia sank to her knees, wrapping her arms around herself. "I told them they couldn't take my baby... They didn't listen..." Her tear filled eyes hardened and she focused on Rain again, "Vincent said he would do anything for me. He will honour that promise now."
"You can't be serious!" Rain screamed in terror, tears running freely. "He loves you!"
Lucrecia hummed distantly, a lullaby, rocking slightly to the voices only she heard. "A child. He will give me a child. A child for the one I lost."
Rain felt all her strength leave her, only standing because Chaos held her up. "You're going to kill him... Do you realise that?"
Getting up, Lucrecia found something in the pocket of the lab-coat. "Your potion, demon. Now leave me her, and her child."
Rain sank to the ground the second Chaos released her to move over to Lucrecia and shook her head numbly. Child? "But I have no child..."
Both Lucrecia and Chaos gazed over at her, but it was the scientist who answered. "Yes, you do. You carry it under your heart as we speak. Your child, and Vincent's. MY child!"
"But... it's not possible..." Shock numbed her completely as she absently place a hand to her stomach, and Rain knew they had to be wrong.
Chaos gave his slow hissing laugh, "Don't worry about it. You wont be around to be bothered with it much longer." It gazed gleefully at the potion in his claw-like hand, almost tasting it's freedom. Never going to be trapped inside Vincents gloomy mind again!
Rain merely kept shaking her head in a slow motion, "I don't understand... How can you tell...? I mean... I don't... We only..."
Lucrecia rubbed her eyes, sighing softly at the longing inside her heart. "Chaos knew. It can sense the lifeforce of everything within a miles range. It knew that the child growing inside you in reality belongs to me!"
In what reality, Rain thought somewhat hysterically. One night so briefly ago had resulted in a child, she numbly realised. A child, no, 'her' child that this insane ghost of a woman claimed for her own. Not without a fight!
Tears slowly subsided, eyes hardened with determination and she slowly gazed up at Lucrecia. "Over my dead body, you freak!"
"That was the basic idea," Chaos chuckled, walking back to look down at her.
Her cheeks was flushed and damp with drying tears, but she was far from broken. In fact, Rain felt stronger than ever. Ready to fight over something she hadn't even been aware of before this moment. Ah, the strength of motherhood. The very same power that had driven Lucrecia to what she was now. That, and a fair amount of Jenova cells.
Chaos could still feel Vincents presence inside him, knowing it was only a matter of minutes now before the struggling began for real.
Quickly opening the potion-bottle, it drank the clear liquid under Rain's tormented stare. Freedom...
There was a short silence, then the demon spun around to glare at Lucrecia. "You treacherous woman! You tricked me! This is nothing but water!"
"Why should I free you when you're more use to me as my slave," the woman replied calmly. "If you think about it; it's only logical!"
Rain closed her eyes in relief, exhaling. There was still hope!
Chaos roared in fury, taking a step towards Lucrecia, "I should rip that logical head of your body!"
"You know you cannot. The Jenova cells wont allow you," Lucrecia stated calmly, then walked pass the trembling demon to stop in front of Rain, speaking softly with a distant look in her eyes. "You will help me find my child."
Rain was two second from flying at her when an arm went around her waist, and Chaos yanked her close.
"If I am to be denied what you promised, dear mistress, then so shall you!" He quickly shot towards the waterfall, and they heard Lucrecia's piercing scream behind them.
-
Rain didn't dare to speak as they flew in an alarming speed, but suddenly the demon halted and began to lower them towards the ground.
She stumbled away as it released her and spun around to face it and whatever it intended to do to her, when she found the demon shaking and convulsing.
Hope sprung inside her again and Rain rushed over, grasping the demonic shoulders, "Vincent? Vincent, can you hear me? Come back to me, Vincent! Please..."
In front of her eyes, she saw the form twist and change, whispering for Vincent to not give up the fight. That she needed him. How much she loved him.
The glow vanished and she supported the limp form of Vincent before she carefully lowered him to the ground.
Stroking away a black lock of hair from his damp, pale face, Rain tilted her head and marvelled at the beauty in that face.
The fight had drained his strength and Rain glanced around to realise the demon had landed by a small river in the grasslands. It was open, but she could also easily see anyone approaching.
"You just rest, Vincent," she murmured quietly and arranged his cape to cover him. "You did well. You won. I'll take care of you now."
She managed to get a fire going, gently washed Vincent's damp face, and warmed up a little food she had to force herself to eat.
Only when dusk came creeping had her heart-rate settled to somewhat normal, and she was free to catch up on what had happened.
Lucrecia... Vincent's former lover was in fact alive. And crazy as a crisp bread! Chaos had taken over Vincent, to the extent that he'd acted against anything Vincent would have allowed.
And she was, or so the rumor would have it, pregnant.
Rain knew there hadn't been anyone else but Vincent for about 8 months, so she knew there wasn't any competition for the role as father.
Time would show. Time and a little test she planned to take as soon as possible.
No need to worry Vincent about it yet... He was troubled enough.
Vincent felt so tired, but still tried to struggle his way up to the surface. He was almost drowning, but refused to give up.
He woke with a gasp, eyes opening wide to stare up at Meteor burning in the sky.
Breathing heavily for a few seconds, Vincent then sat up abruptly and gazed wildly around.
What had happened?! Where was he? He remembered Chaos suddenly flooding his senses and then everything went black.
Rain?!
"Calm down, everything is ok," a soft voice said and a hand gently touched his shoulder.
Light from the fire flickered over Rain's features as she sat by his side, gentle worry in her eyes.
Relief came crashing down on Vincent so hard he trembled, and before he knew what he'd done, he'd wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into a tight embrace.
If Chaos had hurt her, or even worse; killed her, Vincent wouldn't have been able to live with himself.
Rain placed her arms around him as well, nuzzling her face to his neck, "I knew you would come back."
"What happened...?" Vincent didn't dare to let her go, afraid it might all prove to be a nightmare.
Hesitating, Rain hugged him closer, "Chaos brought us here and then you took over again..." She wasn't lying to him, she was merely not telling him every little detail!
Vincent had the right to know Lucrecia was alive, and Rain was going to tell him.
She just had to find out what the crazed woman had claimed was true first!
Forcing himself to lean back slightly, Vincent studied her face. "It didn't hurt you?"
"No," Raid reassured him, stroking his arms. "Merely bragged about how evil it was..."
Vincent sighed relived again, pulling her close a second time, "I put you in danger..."
Rain managed a faint smile, remembering her brother say those exact same words, "I can manage to get myself into danger at any time, Vincent, so don't feel too special when it comes to that."
Vincent was too tired to argue, too tired to think, and merely held her close.
Savouring her warmth and the feel of every breath she took. He'd told himself not to care for another human being again after failing Lucrecia, but he realised that was too late now. He cared. Now his hammering heart only had to make him realise he actually more than merely cared for the woman in his arms.
Vincent's heart was in for the battle of it's lifetime!