Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Unforgivable Sinner ❯ The final fight and a painful loss ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ø8. The final fight and painful loss
Once again traveling in silence, Vincent cast quick glances over at Rain.
She seemed thoughtful. Not frightened by his presence, merely thoughtful.
He'd expected fear, her lack of it and continued warmth towards him puzzled Vincent. He hadn't been this puzzled in many years.
And right now he was wondering what was going through her mind. Obviously she had to be affected by Chaos actions, but something told Vincent she wasn't even close to worrying about the demon. Something else was on her mind. Something more important than being abducted by an evil creature.
So Vincent wondered about her thoughts, but never asked. It was not his business, was it? No, he knew too well how much he appreciated to have his thoughts undisturbed. But... he was wondering.
It was still semi-dark when they finally reached Rocket Town, dawn merely hours away.
Luckily they had managed to capture a pair of chocobo's, or Rain suspected they wouldn't have reached the town for days...
Letting the huge birds have their freedom, Rain gazed after them as they vanished in the horizon. Meteor was frighteningly close now.
There was so much she didn't understand. Like why this Sephiroth had summoned this thing to destroy the very planet he too lived on.
Cloud had tried to explain it had something to do with energy and Sephiroth thought this would make him a god of sorts.
Rain had heard tales about Sephiroth, the great general, and thought of him as some great hero.
One really shouldn't believe all one hears, Rain thought wryly, like how she had heard he was undefeatable!
"We should enter the town before any monsters notice us," Vincent's voice said somewhere beside her.
It was almost impossible to see him in the dark, only his pale skin bathed in Meteors deadly light.
"I guess... Do you think they're still here? Maybe we're too late," Rain mumbled, not moving.
She heard him shift, a soft breeze tousling his cape.
"The Highwind is still here. If they had defeated Sephiroth, the Meteor wouldn't still be up here," Vincent couldn't quite explain why he instinctively knew this battle wouldn't happen without his presence. It was like ending an evil circle. Vincent, Lucrecia, Hojo and finally Sephiroth.
Rain wrapped her arms around herself, wondering if this was the last time she got to see dawn break. "Who did all those terrible things to you, Vincent? And why?"
Tensing, Vincent gazed slowly over at her. "Why do you ask?"
"I know so little about you... and you might die today. I just wondered," Rain admitted silently, glancing over to see his ruby eyes reflecting Meteor's fire-tail.
She wasn't really expecting him to answer, and was surprised when he did.
"When I met Lucrecia... she was working on a science project with two other people. One man I respect very much, Dr Gast. And Hojo." Vincent spoke in a neutral voice, almost seeing his past like some movie at a cinema, "Hojo persuaded her to preform an experiment on their unborn child. That child that would grow up to be Sephiroth. Then Hojo killed her. I confronted him with what he'd done, and he shot me. Instead of letting me die, he made me into a monster."
There seemed to be some sort of sick poetic justice in all this. Hojo had tricked and killed Lucrecia, using his own son as a guinea pig. He turned Vincent into a monster, and left him to die. Then Hojo killed Gast, the last person involved in the Jenova project. Only the past would come back to haunt the professor as Vincent didn't die, but emerged to take the life of his nemesis with the power Hojo had forced upon him. And now, Vincent would kill Hojo's son.
The circle would be complete and he would be the only one left.
Left to do what...?
Rain wanted to reach out and touch Vincent's arm, but felt his distance and remained where she was. "What happened to Hojo?"
"I killed him," Vincent stated softly. "Like I'm going to kill the son of the beautiful Lucrecia."
She heard him walk away and waited a few more seconds before she followed.
Vincent was still in love with Lucrecia. He probably would be in love with her until death finally came for him.
Strange how that hurt...
Vincent was about to leave when Rain called out his name. He turned and faced her, not liking the sinking feeling he might not see her again. "Yes?"
She hesitated, then drew a deep breath as she avoided his eyes. "Should you... When you return, promise me you will come here. I need to tell you something."
It didn't even take Vincent's sharp powers of perception to see something was bothering her. "Can't you tell me now?"
"Later. When you've finished off Sephiroth, ok?" Rain gave a brave smile, and was relieved to see him nod, then turned and left.
She couldn't stand to see him leave. And she knew that should he return, it would only be to leave again when he learned that Lucrecia was indeed alive!
Vincent gazed after her, then pulled himself together and walked out to the silent Highwind, still covered in the retreating dark.
It was time.
-
He wasn't surprised that he was the first person on the airship, and let the AVALANCHE members arrive and find their places without revealing himself.
Too many thoughts were troubling Vincent, and he stood outside to let the cold winds tear at him as the Highwind sped off to their destiny.
The flight to the Northern Crater was done without a word from Vincent, an ominous feeling growing as they came closer.
The monsters inside him grew restless, and even Chaos began to whisper lies to plant doubt in Vincent's mind.
The former Turk kept focusing on the horizon, trying to block out everything from Chaos' hissing words to Rufus and Cloud arguing over some detail.
It was an odd team indeed... And the addition of Rufus ShinRa, the brat prince of the empire that was the cause of this armageddon, made them perhaps even a little more odd.
All they lacked were a gentle girl with green eyes and a smile that made everyone feel better, even him.
Aeris.
Vincent closed his eyes briefly, knowing if he'd been able to stop Hojo and reason with Lucrecia all those years ago; she would still be alive.
Another sin added to his nightmares, but it would end now. Vincent would make sure it ended now.
He watched as the airship lowered itself into the crater, and waited as AVALANCHE climbed down the rope ladder.
Someone would die, Vincent suddenly thought, letting his eyes wander from one person to the other. He just knew it.
Leaping into the air, he landed behind them and Yuffie let out a piercing scream of horror before Cid had to hold her back from charging with the intent of kicking Vincent's shin. "You scared the living shit outta me, Vince!" The young ninja screamed, still kicking to get free.
"Forgive me," Vincent said quietly, slightly warmed by the greetings the others gave him, even allowed Tifa to give him a short hug.
"We never thought you were dead," Cloud smiled, nodding his greeting.
Vincent pulled out Death Penalty, the wind pulling eerily at his crimson cape, "I can't die just yet."
Cid cursed as Yuffie stomped on his foot and lifted the girl up by a harsh grip on her upper arms. "Yeah, all fine and dandy, you guys, but I'm the one with the frigging tazmanian devil here!"
Cloud turned to send Yuffie a dry look, and the ninja fell silent.
The pilot eyed the girl suspiciously, but finally put her down and quickly stepped away.
"It's time we move. Sephiroth awaits us," Vincent declared, then let the anxious group into the darkness.
-
Vincent had thought he was prepared. Vincent knew he'd been wrong!
Sephiroth wasn't even human anymore, glaring down at them as some deformed monster while unleashing attacks that was stronger than anything Vincent had ever been up against.
The former Turk was stunned to find the monsters inside him eerily quiet, not even Chaos rose to save the body trapping it.
Materia, gun-shots, lashes from swords and summonings raged all around Vincent, but Sephiroth only seemed barely fazed by them.
When the cruel eyes narrowed, Vincent realised Sephiroth was charging his ultimate attack, but he barely had time to call out a warning before the Super Nova rammed them all.
Scorching fire sent Vincent back against the rock wall and pain swam pass his eyes, the heat increasing by the seconds.
So this was dying, he thought numbly, feeling himself unable to breathe. Darkness was lurking at the edges of his consciousness, but he refused to let it wash over him.
Not yet. He still had work to do!
Raising Death Penalty blindly in the directly he knew Sephiroth was, Vincent managed to pull the trigger and knew by the howl the bullet had hit it's mark.
Gasping for air, Vincent gazed numbly around, seeing Cid badly wounded, Rufus knocked out cold, Yuffie too, Barret struggling with a wound of his own, and Red...
The Super Nova had been aimed directly at the big beast, and gladly pulled anyone close enough into it's firery range.
Vincent closed his eyes, feeling a sense of approaching defeat settling gloomily over his senses, when Cloud screamed in rage and launched another attack at Sephiroth.
Soon he was followed by Tifa, and Vincent forced himself to move as he reloaded Death Penalty. It wasn't over until they all were dead!
-
Rufus, Cid and Barret soon came to help as well, and finally Sephiroth was forced backwards. The cuts didn't heal anymore and the creature was indeed bleeding!
Anything that could bleed, could die!
As the monster was slowly forced backwards, Cid picked up his PHS and mumbled a few words into it, before he called out for everyone to back off.
"Alright," Cid lit up a cigarette at lightning speed, eyeing the wounded Sephiroth carefully as he confirmed the order into the PHS; "alright, Highwind! Attack!"
The others managed to send him a couple of confused glances, not knowing of the little surprise Cid and Shera had spent days installing.
The new rocket system should be able to manoeuvrer the deadly missiles straight towards their mortal enemy despite the narrow tunnels! No sooner had Sephiroth roared in his wounded fury did the first rocket fly over their head and ram into the monster. The first explosion wasn't even finished before a second missile hit, then a third, and a forth and for a while they came too close for them to be able to count.
The loud explosions and raging fires made the group back away a few steps, and Vincent used the opportunity to kneel down beside the silent form of Yuffie.
Gently turning her over on her back, Vincent flinched as he saw the bad burns on her left side and wasn't aware of holding his breath when he felt for a pulse on her neck.
The former Turk closed his eyes briefly as he felt a weak throb, but knew she was far from safe.
In the background Vincent heard Sephiroths dying screams, but ignored them as he carefully gathered the young girl in his arms and got up.
Moaning softly, Yuffie's eyelashes fluttered before she managed to barely open her grey eyes and peer at him. "Did... we win...?"
"Yes, we won," Vincent assured her distantly, calling out for Barret to tend to Red.
Yuffie swallowed a whimper of pain, closing her eyes. "The bastard burned me... I was so close to kicking his ass... And he burned me..."
Vincent swayed as the ground began to shake, glancing up at the rocks falling from the ceiling.
"Shii-iit! Back to the Highwind!" Cid declared and made a run for it.
"Come on!" Barret declared and followed the pilot, Red hoisted over one powerful shoulder.
Yuffie grasped a hold of Vincent's collar, yanking it to make him face her distressed eyes, "I don't wanna die like this, Vince! I can't!"
His heart ached for the angst in her eyes, and Vincent held her gaze firmly, "you're not going to die, Yuffie. I wont let you!"
He began the shaky way back to the airship, agonized by the pained sounds that came from the girl. With materia and a little luck, her skin should be repaired, but you never knew. And she had taken quite the beating...
"You know what...?" Yuffie asked, her voice drowsy and her eyes barely open, hazed with pain, "I never even got to find a cool boyfriend... Did you know that?"
The former Turk shook his head absently, replying just as distant. "No, that I did not know, Yuffie."
Tears began to run down Yuffie's cheeks and she sobbed silently. "I don't wanna die, Vince... I haven't even been kissed yet! How pathetic is that?! Maybe Sephy did me a favour, huh?"
Vincent gritted his teeth, vowing he would not let die even if it meant he had to follow her into Deaths Kingdom and yank her back. He'd failed too many to let Yuffie down now!
"Yuffie," Vincent said in a firm voice, "you stay alive, keep fighting and do NOT give up, and I swear I'll kiss you myself!"
Giggling softly, Yuffie rested her head on his shoulder, "Vince... You old flirt..."
-
He'd reached the airship just in time, only to receive the news that they had to go further inn to get Cloud, Tifa and Rufus. Vincent had no idea how they'd gotten left behind, but he decided to focus on Yuffie. Placing her in a cabin, he used a Cure materia, but it did little to help. The young girl whimpered softly when the airship shook violently, and Vincent took her hand.
Only when they called his name did he leave her side, promising to return shortly, Vincent went up on deck just in time to see the Lifestream save the planet when Holy failed.
Aeris.
He could feel her presence. So strongly it was like she was close by.
It was finally over.
Vincent turned to go below deck again, and returned to find Yuffie asleep. Deep asleep.
He knew it would be she wouldn't be waking up for a long, long while. She 'had' to wake up eventually, Vincent thought stubbornly, brushing away a dark lock of hair from her forhead. "Rest, Yuffie... but don't take too long or I will come after you..."
"Not good...?" Cloud asked from where he was leaning against the doorframe, and Vincent shook his head.
"From bad to worse." The blonde man said silently, motioning for him to follow and lead him to the cabin where Red was.
Tifa was crying, clutching the pale Rufus close. Cid's eyes were suspiciously moist, and Barret had his back turned on them.
Even Cait Sith was silent.
Vincent felt a hard feeling sink into his stomach,."He didn't make it..."
Cloud shook his head.
"We have to take him home," Vincent whispered, walking over to look inside the room. "He'd want that..."
Cid mumbled something about telling the pilot and quickly wandered off.
Vincent walked in and kneeled by the bed, placing his human hand on the blood stained fur, "I will miss you, my friend..." His mind was flooded by memories, and the sense of loss was overwhelming.
He stayed like that until Cloud silently declared they had reached Cosmo Canyon.
Gently lifting up Red, Vincent walked out to bring his friend home and he knew what he had to do.
He wasn't surprised that no monsters attacked as he made his way through the cave, Vincent knew they wouldn't dare. Not now.
Silently placing Red on the ground, Vincent gazed up at the stone figure, "your son fought hard and won. You lost your mate as she was defending this town. You lost your son as he defended the very planet we live on. Don't you dare let their sacrifice be in vain! It is time you take their place and return, Seto... "
A mournful howl emerged towards the moon... a howl filled with loss and loneliness... a howl of a silent promise to carry on their fight...
Vincent returned to the Highwind with a huge, cat-like beast walking by his side.
Tifa let out a shocked gasp, but then realised it was not Red returning to them.
This one was bigger, two yellow eyes glowing at them and the tattoos were different.
Vincent turned to face the beast a final time, "we would not have made it if it weren't for him..."
Cloud nodded, "it's true... he saved my life many times..."
Seto gazed at all of them in turn, then said in a voice reminding of Red, only deeper; "then we just have to make sure his sacrifice wasn't in vain. This time we must honour the planet and not abuse her."
His yellow eyes rested on Rufus as he spoke the final words, and the young man shifted uneasily as he avoided to meet the gaze.
Then it was time to leave...
-
They all agreed to stay a few days in Rocket Town as they were returning to the town, and Vincent remembered another promise he'd made.
Rain.
It was dark when they returned, and Vincent first saw to that Yuffie was brought up to the guest room he once had at Shera and Cid's house before he went out to find Rain.
Sitting on the rocket launch-pad, she was gazing up at the stars. "Look... I'd almost forgotten what it looks like without Meteor up there..." She gave him a faint smile. "You guys won."
Vincent shifted. "Won and lost. Red didn't make it and Yuffie has yet to wake up from the injuries Sephiroth gave her."
Gazing down, Rain bit back tears that suddenly flooded her eyes. Red... Sweet, kind Red... And Yuffie had to be ok... she just had to...
"And you..." She asked silently. "Are you ok...?"
"As well as can be expected," Vincent replied. "At least it is over."
Was it? Rain wasn't too sure. "I have something to tell you..."
The former Turk nodded. "So you said. Well?"
Glancing up at him, Rain swallowed hard. "When Chaos broke free... He brought me to a place..."
Vincent tensed immediately, eyes suddenly sharply focused on her. "You failed to mention this earlier..."
Rain turned away, feeling his gaze burning into her, "I know. He brought to a waterfall. Behind it was a secret room, and there was a woman inside..." Holding her breath, Rain managed to gaze up at him again. "She said her name was Lucrecia."
Starting like she'd slapped him square across the face, Vincent got a mean look. "What?"
"She said her name was Lucrecia. Ask Chaos, he knew her!" Rain blurted out, turning away again.
Vincent fell silent. Chaos, you deceiving bastard, he thought, is what she says true?
- What if it is? Came the mocking reply, and Vincent went ice cold.
Lucrecia. Alive?!
The thought made him tremble. Could it be?
Chaos, you will take me to her, Vincent demanded in his mind, then turned to leave.
"Good luck, Vincent," Rain said silently, not turning to look at him, "I hope you find what you're looking for. I really do. Goodbye."
Vincent halted and glanced back at her, something telling him there was more to her words than what she really said, but the thought of Lucrecia dimmed his senses.
"Thank you, Rain," he gave a faint smile, "I'll see you around." Then he left quickly and didn't hear Rain's tear filled reply;
"No, you wont."