Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Until the End of Eternity, and Longer ❯ Chapter Thirty-Three ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lunatic Pandora1: Yes, I guess that's sort of where I was trying to go, and I'm glad I pulled it off. I don't want her to change overnight, or anything, but at the same time, I think it would be ridiculous to believe that talking about the one part of her past that is the basis for everything she does wouldn't affect her in some way. And I decided to let the reader in a little on what goes on in that head of hers, since I'm taking pretty much all of the mystery out of her in this story anyway. Sure, I've known all along, and now you know, but well, I think it's worked out pretty well and I'm happy with how it's turning out. So thank you for your thoughts, cryptic or otherwise. *smiles*

Don't own ff8…do own…an alarm clock…which has no respect for my beauty sleep…

%%%

"Until The End of Eternity, and Longer"

by: Banshee Puppet

Chapter Thirty-Three

%%%

'Fifty-six. Fifty-seven. Fifty-eight.' Before she was punching the wall, now she was doing pushups. Max was beginning to wonder if this girl even knew what relaxing was, let alone how to do it. When she returned from the session with her "visitor" and he asked about it, she had said in her usual manner, "that is none of your concern." He was really getting a little tired of hearing that. And now, no matter what he said to her, she didn't seem to have any reply.

"Kinneas," she grit out between breaths. "Quiet." 'Sixty-one. Sixty-two.'

"So glad you're such a talker, Arashi."

"Jynx. I've caused those people enough trouble, the Arashis."

"Methinks the lady doth protest too much."

"Kinneas. You talk. Way. Too. Much. … …Just. Shut. Up. And let me. Think."

'Sixty-nine. Seventy. Seventy-one…'

* 'It's awfully loud here,' Jynx thought as she sat, hands crossed in front of her at an out of the way table, a seat facing the door. She watched the goings-on of the cafeteria with a blank expression, taking them as they came, waiting for her sisters to arrive. A tall blonde boy was picking on a sort of scraggly looking brunette, but just as a fight was about to start, a blonde girl broke the two of them up. "No fighting in the cafeteria, you two," she said. The blonde gave her a "yes mom" sort of look, and the brunette just said "whatever" and left.

Jynx's attention shifted to the clock on the wall, then another young blonde who was skulking out of the cafeteria. She didn't notice that the first blonde had approached until he flopped into the seat across from her. "Hi. Mind if I join you?" he asked confidently, as if he was sure the answer would be, and, of course she wouldn't mind. 'Personification of arrogance.'

"You can't sit there," Jynx said as her eyes turned to him. "I'm waiting for someone."

Seifer looked at the clock. Six-forty. "They're late," he informed her.

"No. They're not. It isn't seven yet."

Seifer cocked an eyebrow. "Then I have twenty minutes. What's your name?"

"Sit where you like," Jynx said. "I'll move." And she stood, but he grabbed her wrist when she began to pass him. "Hey," he said, a slightly softer look on his face. "My name's Seifer Almsay. You're new, right? Tell me your name. It won't kill you, you know."

"Jynx. Now please let go of my arm. I'm waiting for someone."*

'Eighty-nine. Ninety. Ninety-one. Ninety-two…'

* Seifer slung his arm over Jynx's shoulder. "Heya Jynx! What'cha doin' tonight?"

"…training."

"Again?" he sighed. "Wanna meet me in the secret room?"

"No."

"Party pooper."*

'Ninety-eight. Ninety-nine. One-hundred…'

* "I hear you're making friends, sis," Xu said, falling into step beside her younger sister.

"Someone has been lying to you."

"Really? I heard you've been hanging out with Seifer Almsay."

"He follows me around. It's purely one-sided. I assure you."

"Aw," Xu said. "That's a bummer. I mean, Seifer's sort of…well, Seifer, but I thought I might get the chance to tease you about having your first boyfriend! I think he likes you."

"He likes the idea of me, nothing more."

Xu sighed, this topic was going nowhere. So she changed the subject. "Anyway, I hear you're going to the fire cavern tomorrow afternoon."

"Yes."

"Looking for backup? I've been there before, you know."

"I hardly think that I'll need it."

Xu sighed. "Hey, do you remember that piece of jade you carved for me, way back when? You said you'd shape it for me, but you never got the chance…"

"I'll do it tomorrow evening."*

* "Hey Jynx! I'm going to the fire cavern. Wanna come?"

"You aren't ready for that."

"Sure I am! I'm really strong! Besides, if you can do it, so can I!"

"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, Ruvie."

"I'm going. If you really love me like Xu says, you'll come to protect me!" Ruvie gave her a harsh expression that made her throat feel tight. She swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood.

"Hey! Jynx! Where you takin' the kid," Seifer asked as he snuck up on her, unnoticed. She stiffened.

"Fire cavern."

"Hey! Sounds fun! I'm coming too."

"Why?"

"Because I want to."*

'one-hundred and…one-hundred and…' Jynx stopped her pushups and sat back against the wall when she lost count. Her muscles had a nice warm burn to them anyway. '… … …Seifer. Why do you always insist on following me around? What is it, that you think you see? You and Xu…you both …you're both exactly the same. Who is it, that you think I am?'

Her head rolled slightly to take in the figure of a sleeping Max Kinneas, chest rising and falling with his breathing. "You too," she said softly. "Don't you understand that I'm no one special. I'm no one...no one at all, really." 'Maybe I was someone once, but…that was…such a long time ago.' She let her eyes drift closed. 'I still have something to do, though. But maybe, when it's all over, I'll finally be able to sleep.'

%%%

okay, so I know this is a very short, very angsty chapter, but I just didn't feel comfortable with adding anything more to this chappy after that last line. But since it's so extremely short, I'll try to post another chapter by tomorrow. We'll see if I can pull it off.