Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Us And Them ❯ Chapter 3: Little Sister ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Little Sister
 
“You're almost there!” the professor shouted excitedly, “Just a little more…”
 
Ifalna's knuckles were beginning to turn white from clenching her fists so tightly for so long.
 
“Keep pushing!!” Gast urged, “So close…!”
 
He could hear Sephiroth's agitated footsteps coming from above. Just then, Ifalna screamed in pain, and the footsteps became louder and quicker.
 
“One more!” Gast couldn't contain himself, “One more, honey!”
Ifalna screamed one last time as she pushed as hard as she could.
 
“You're all done!!” yelped the professor, “It's over! She's here!!”
 
“She…?” Ifalna panted.
 
“Yes, she!” Gast did as best as he could to tie off and cut the umbilical cord with one hand, dropped the scissors, and then grabbed a small white blanket and proceeded to wrap the squalling baby in it. “We have a daughter!”
 
Ifalna smiled weakly as her husband walked over to her with the tiny bundle.
 
“Aeris,” he said to the small infant, “Meet your mother,”
Ifalna weakly pushed herself into a sitting position on the bed and took the little girl in her arms, leaning against the headboard.
 
“So you're still hung up on that name, then?” she smiled, “But it is a good name, considering it came out of that forgetful head of yours…”
 
“Isn't it?” Gast beamed, “Oh, the video tape!”
 
He rushed over to the camera and took it off the tripod on the corner.
 
Ifalna balked. “You…taped the whole thing?!”
 
“Sure did!”
 
“You taped me all sweaty and screaming…and all those obscenities?!”
 
“Every filthy word,”
 
Ifalna sighed. “Remind me again why I married you?”
 
“Because smart men are just that irresistible?”
 
“I hope you don't inherit your father's cockiness,” Ifalna said to the baby, who was finally beginning to quiet down. “Should we tell Sephiroth it's all right to come down?”
 
“Alrighty,” Gast went upstairs, still looking through the camcorder. He didn't need to go very far, as Sephiroth stood anxiously at the top. “There you are. Come and meet your new sister,”
 
Sephiroth hesitantly followed the professor down the stairs, where he slowly made his way to the bed. He stopped about three feet away.
 
“You can come closer,” Ifalna encouraged him, “Come see,”
 
Sephiroth warily obeyed, and tiptoed to the edge of the bed, where he took his first look at the baby.
 
“This is Aeris,” Ifalna smiled, “Aeris, meet your big brother Sephiroth,”
The eight-year-old could only stare in stunned silence.
 
So tiny…so helpless…was I like that once?
 
Over the months, Sephiroth had learned Ifalna's secret: that she was the last known living member of the Cetra race. He knew that she could hear things from the spirit of The Planet, and could communicate with her deceased ancestors. He also knew that she possessed an amazing green thumb. Lastly, he knew that it was a Cetra that Shinra was after, who in their ignorance, had mistaken a parasitic alien for one of the Cetra, resulting in the experiment that created him and ultimately killed his mother.
 
The idea of Hojo ever getting his hands on his new mother and little sister made his skin crawl. True he was just a child, but the experiments over the years had left him with some amazing abilities. Abilities that he planned to use against anyone who dared to intrude on his new life with his new family.
 
Aeris began making gurgling noises. Sephiroth slowly reached his hand out to hers. The baby immediately grabbed his finger with her tiny hand. Sephiroth couldn't help but smile.
 
“Hello, Aeris,” he said softly.
 
 
“Again with the camcorder?” Ifalna frowned as she and Sephiroth walked into the entryway, “You just got through taping only a couple of hours ago!”
 
Nearly three weeks had passed since Aeris' birth. While Gast constantly obsessing over his daughter amused Sephiroth, Ifalna was getting annoyed.
 
“Please don't say it like that,” Gast pleaded, “It's our lovely daughter- both yours and mine! Don't you want to capture her childhood on tape? You agree with me, right, Sephiroth?”
 
“Uhh…” Sephiroth looked uncomfortable, “I kinda get nervous when you tape me practicing, actually,”
 
“Traitor!” Gast pretended to pout.
 
“If you keep doting on her like that,” Ifalna put her hands on her hips, “she won't grow up to be strong. Both Aeris and Sephiroth are different from the other children. And though that makes them all the more special,” she put her hands on Sephiroth's shoulders, “Sephiroth is already aware of the dangers that await him. Aeris needs to grow up tough as well,”
 
“Never say that our children are in danger,” Gast shook his head, “I'll protect my family no matter what. You three are my treasures, and I don't ever intend on letting you go,”
 
Ifalna smiled. “You always know what to say to make me feel better,” she walked over to her husband and put her arms around him, “If I hadn't met you, I…”
 
“Should I take Aeris into the kitchen?” Sephiroth asked dryly.
 
His adoptive parents burst out laughing.
 
“Sorry, sorry,” Gast apologized, “We'll behave, won't we, darling?”
 
“I suppose we'll have to,” Ifalna sighed, but kept smiling.
 
Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.
 
“I'll get it,” Sephiroth dashed over and opened it revealing…
 
“Hojo?!” Gast looked alarmed.
 
All the color drained from Sephiroth's face. In front of him stood indeed, Professor Hojo, along with two members of Shinra's SOLDIER.
 
The gaunt man laughed. “Long time no see, Faremis. I've been searching for you for a long time. Hello, Ifalna…or should I say, Cetra? Hello, Sephiroth. Did you enjoy your vacation?”
 
“What the hell are you doing here?!” Sephiroth finally found the courage to speak.
 
“Is that any way to greet your caretaker?” Hojo smirked, “After all, I practically raised you,”
 
“Professor and Mrs. Gast did a much better job raising me these past seven months than you did for seven-and-a-half years!” Sephiroth spat.
 
Hojo merely shoved past the boy and entered the house.
 
“How…did you know?” Gast managed to ask.
“Oh, believe me- it wasn't easy,” said Hojo, “I had to turn over quite a few stones to find you. A whole year I waited. That's how much I wanted this new sample…and to collect my old one,”
 
He then noticed the cradle nearby. “Oh…my mistake…two new samples! Congratulations, Faremis,”
 
“Don't you touch Aeris!” Sephiroth forced himself between Hojo and the cradle.
 
“Hmm, Aeris, is it? That's a nice name,”
 
Ifalna went up to Hojo. “Please,” she pleaded, “Aeris has nothing to do with this! All you want is me, right?”
 
“You, Sephiroth, the infant…” Hojo glared, “I need you all. I thought you understood once, Professor. We can change the future of The Planet,”
 
“Don't worry, Ifalna,” Gast growled, “I'll take care of this,”
 
He charged at Hojo, preparing to deck the man, until one of the soldiers fired, hitting Gast in the leg.
 
“Faremis!!” Ifalna screamed.
 
Aeris promptly began to wail.
 
Bastard!!” With lightning speed, Sephiroth ran over and snatched the gun from out of the soldier's hands. He quickly brought the gun down on his knee, snapping the wooden part, and bending the metal, rendering it completely useless.
 
Before the other soldier could react, Sephiroth kicked him in the shin, efficiently snapping his tibia. The man dropped his gun howling in pain, which Hojo immediately picked up and aimed at Gast once more.
 
“No!!” Sephiroth jumped in front of Gast, and suddenly emitted a dark grey barrier, encircling Gast, Ifalna, and Aeris. Hojo fired, but the bullet was absorbed by the globe.
 
“Amazing…” Hojo marveled, “So I finally get to see Shinra's future general in action,”
 
“I'll never work for Shinra!” Sephiroth snarled, “Get out!! Your stupid soldiers are weak, and I could break your neck in two and you know it!!”
 
“You little fool!” Hojo growled, despite looking somewhat afraid, “Do you think you're just going to live `happily ever after' with Gast and his family? Do you think you and that baby are going to simply fit in with the rest of the world? You're a freak, Sephiroth. But if you'd decided to stay with Shinra, you could have been a hero!”
 
He backed away toward the door. The unarmed soldier helped the wounded soldier to his feet, and the two followed.
 
“This isn't over!” Hojo shrieked, “Not by a long shot! You can run, but I'll follow you time and time again!”
They left, slamming the door nearly off its hinges.
 
Sephiroth released the barrier, and promptly collapsed to his knees.
 
“-Hang on, Faremis,” Ifalna was saying as a green glow surrounded her hands that touched Gast's wound, “You'll be back to normal in no time,”
 
Despite her reassuring words, tears were running down her face.
 
“Are you all right, Sephiroth?” Gast winced.
 
“I'm alright,” Sephiroth slowly got to his feet, “But you got shot!”
 
“I've got that covered, sweetie,” Ifalna wiped her eyes, “He just needs to stay off his leg for a day,”
 
“We don't have a day to wait,” Gast struggled to his feet, leaning on his good leg and peering into the cradle. Aeris was still crying.
 
“How is she?” Sephiroth asked worriedly.
“She's fine,” Ifalna went over and picked her daughter up, “She's just frightened. Who could blame her? Shh…” she consoled the infant, “It's all right. Mama's here…everything's fine,”
 
“We can't stay,” Gast stated flatly, “We need to leave this area. We should settle somewhere that's not only free of Shinra's influence, but also densely populated. They won't dare try to attack if there's other people around,”
 
“They're probably watching us,” Ifalna pointed out, “They'll know where we go,”
 
“Not if we leave at night,” Sephiroth told her, “I have an idea. If we leave once the sun finishes setting…I can see in the dark…you could follow me to the plane. We'll get in and I'll take them out if they try to shoot us down,”
 
“That's too dangerous-” Ifalna began to say, but Gast held up a hand.
 
“He's right,” said Gast, “It's our best choice. We have just enough time to pack what we need. Food, clothes, and Sephiroth's sword,”
 
Ifalna looked at her husband, and then at Sephiroth and Aeris.
 
“All right,” she sighed, “I guess we have no choice…”
 
 
Sephiroth sat in the plane while Gast flew it over the ocean. Next to him, Ifalna sat holding Aeris, who was fast asleep.
 
They had managed to arrive at the plane without any problems. Some local vigilantes had chased Hojo and the soldiers out of town, not even allowing the wounded soldier to heal himself. The plane had taken off without a hitch, and they had been in the air for about an hour.
 
He stared out the window into the night sky.
 
Do you think you're just going to live “happily ever after” with Gast and his family? Hojo's bitter words rang in Sephiroth's ears. Do you think you and that baby are going to simply fit in with the rest of the world? You're a freak, Sephiroth...
 
Sephiroth sighed.
 
“Don't listen to Hojo, Sephiroth,” Ifalna spoke suddenly, “If I could find happiness in this world, so will you and Aeris. That, I can promise you,”
 
The silver-haired child nodded silently. He then leaned against the window and quickly fell asleep.