Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Us And Them ❯ Sors Imanis ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 11: Sors Imanis
 
“You're never gonna get into SOLDIER if you keep getting sick on a lousy truck,”
Cloud groaned loudly as he rolled away from Zack.
“You should know better than to read while on a moving vehicle,” the raven-haired soldier held up Cloud's comic book, “Though this is a pretty good issue. But then, what do I know? I've never had motion sickness,”
“How long until we get there?” a trooper asked.
“With this crappy weather, probably a couple more hours,” Zack told him, “Then we have to wait for the vice president to show up. Apparently, he wants to oversee the inspection of the reactor himself,”
“How the hell are we gonna get anything done when we have `Prince Rufus' and his Turks in the way?” the trooper complained.
Zack shook his head. “You're looking at this the wrong way. The vice president is overseeing this inspection himself! We do a good job, he'll tell the right people. Maybe a recommendation from him is what you need, eh, Cloud?”
“Ugh…” Cloud moaned.
“God, just puke already!” the trooper exclaimed as he rolled his eyes, “We've still got two hours to go. You're just gonna lose your lunch anyway,”
“Shut up, Curt,” said Zack. He then turned to the MP driving the truck. “Hey, driver! Doesn't this thing have a radio? Crank it up!”
“Yessir,” the MP replied as he turned on the radio.
 
“Oh, come on- it couldn't have been that bad!” Aeris scoffed as she and Jessie sat down on their respective beds, “At least it stopped raining before we went out there!”
The computer guru pulled off her shoes and socks, revealing several blisters on her feet.
“I hate you,” Jessie declared as she glared at Aeris.
“That's what you get from sitting in front of a computer screen all day,” Aeris shrugged indifferently. “Oh well. At least Biggs and Sephiroth had fun,”
The four of them had hiked through the Nibel Mountains for two hours straight, along with Tifa and a couple other tourists.
“At least you didn't complain until now,” Aeris giggled.
“And make myself look weaker than some fifteen-year-old tour guide?” Jessie pulled out a potion, “That girl was practically dancing in circles around us!”
“I like her,” said Aeris.
“You like everybody,” Jessie took out a pocketknife and opened it up.
“What are you doing?” Aeris asked.
“What's it look like?” Jessie held the point up to her foot, “I'm gonna drain the blisters before I apply the potion. Can't be in anything but perfect condition tomorrow, right?”
“Oh, gross!” Aeris cringed as she opened the door and left.
The great swordswoman camps out in monster-infested areas, hikes through Mt. Nibel, and yet she's afraid of a little pus…Jessie thought as she chuckled silently. I sure have crazy friends…
The door then opened again and Aeris rushed inside, looking panicked.
“That was quick!” Jessie teased, “Ready for the first one…? Eww…gonna poke the nasty blister…!”
“Zack is outside!!” Aeris whispered frantically.
Jessie let the knife drop to the floor. “What?”
“He and Cloud are checking into rooms!” Aeris squeaked, “Cloud's a Shinra trooper!! Now two people would know who we are!!”
“No…no…this isn't happening!” Jessie moaned, “Great- they must be the ones guarding Rufus! Fine! We have no choice- we're gonna have to tell Vincent and the others!”
“We should've told them in the first place,” Aeris admitted as she pulled out her PHS, “He's not gonna like this…”
 
“Tseng, is there any reason in particular you had to bring him along?” Rufus Shinra asked as he sat in his personal helicopter.
“Strength in numbers,” the raven-haired Turk replied, “Besides, despite his age and immaturity, he's also one of the best rookies I've seen so far,”
“Hmph,” Rufus frowned at the redheaded Turk sitting behind him.
Reno shrugged indifferently and began to examine his taser-like nightstick.
“The sun's rising,” Tseng observed as he looked out the window.
“Finally…” Rufus sighed, “One more rotten reactor to look at, and then it's back home,”
“Forgive me if I'm out of line,” Tseng offered calmly, “But isn't it important to get to know the reactors and such if you're to take over as president of the company?”
“Ah, I don't care what you say,” Rufus shook his head, “You're a hell of a lot smarter than most of the people in this company. I tell ya- first thing I'm gonna do when I'm in charge is fire those idiots Palmer and Heidegger,”
“Heidegger may be annoying, but he is an asset to the company,” Tseng pointed out.
“Fine then,” Rufus sulked, “Instead, every time he does that idiotic laugh, I'm taking it out of his paycheck until he has nothing left to laugh about,”
“What about Scarlet?”
“Her too,”
“What exactly is it you dislike about the reactors?” Tseng asked, “Afraid another one will get bombed?”
“No,” Rufus smoothed back his strawberry-blond hair, “It's the people who bend over backward in hopes of gaining my favor or something. I don't know what's wrong with them. Can't they…I don't know…do their own work? That's the whole irony of it all- people think I got this job handed to me on a silver platter, and I didn't! In my father's eyes, I was no different than any other potential candidate, but I earned this position. And yet, they try and curry favor like they think I did!”
Tseng said nothing, allowing the young man to rant.
“They don't use their brains! I can see it when I look at them. That same vacant look in their eyes. Like they don't know what the hell's going on, nor do they care! It makes me sick to look at them!”
“So stop looking at them, then,” Tseng quipped dryly.
“That's not a bad idea,” Rufus grumbled, “Why should I even acknowledge them in the first place? People are motivated by two things: greed, and fear. They're like puppets!”
Tseng looked slightly uneasy.
“That was a joke, sir,” he said, “Please don't take it to heart,”
“Hey, sir- look at me- do my eyes look empty and stupid? I wanna know,”
Rufus turned around to see Reno staring at him, his eyes wide open.
“Tell me…” Rufus looked at the young Turk, “Why did you join the Turks?”
“Better to get paid for brawling than to do it for kicks in my old gang,” Reno grinned, “I can kick ass, so why not make money off it `stead of staying in the slums and whining about shit? And I'll have you know that I don't need your approval to live the good life!”
“You knew you were talented and decided to use it for your benefit,” Rufus concluded, “You're not quite brain-dead yet,”
“Good to know,” Reno sat back down in his seat.
“We're almost at Nibelheim, sir!” the pilot announced.
“Good,” said Rufus, “Let's get this over with…”
 
“Welcome to Nibelheim, Mr. Vice President,” the mayor said as he shook the young man's hand.
Tseng, Reno, Cloud, and Zack stood behind the vice president. Reno and Zack were engaged in a rather unfriendly staring contest.
“Thank you,” Rufus droned.
“I'm Tifa!” the young tour guide smiled brightly, “Nice to meet you!”
Rufus nodded politely. “You're our guide?”
“Number one guide in this town!” Tifa corrected.
Cloud shifted uncomfortably, and adjusted the helmet that covered his face.
“It's too dangerous,” Zack shook his head, “We can't have her involved in something like this,”
“Hey, I may look delicate,” Tifa said with a grin, “But looks can be deceiving,”
“It's true,” the mayor nodded, “My daughter is a strong girl, and knows her way around the mountains like the back of her hand. You'll do just fine with her,”
Zack laughed and threw up his hands in surrender. “All right then! Just don't slow us down, kiddo,”
“Don't slow me down,” Tifa replied sweetly.
“Um, Mr. Vice President…?” a man with a camera hesitantly approached the group, “May I take just one picture for a memento?”
“If you must,” Rufus sighed.
“Thank you so much!” the man said excitedly, “If all of you could just get into that picture…”
Tifa, Zack, Cloud, Reno, Tseng, and the trooper named Curt all huddled together around Rufus.
“…Cheeeeeeese!” the photographer called out.
Reno made a rude gesture at the last minute. The man didn't seem to notice.
“Great- thank you!” the man grinned as he backed away, “I'm gonna go get this developed right now- I'll give you each a copy when you get back!”
 
“What a warm and fuzzy moment…” Jessie remarked sarcastically as she watched the scene from the window of the hotel room.
Aeris didn't reply, having chose to lie on her bed and pout.
“Are you gonna sulk like that all day?” Jessie looked back at her, “You were brought here to support the others. You're a lot safer here than out there. Vincent was right- it's too dangerous for you to go with them now that Zack is part of this mission,”
“Hmph!” Aeris rolled over to face the wall.
Jessie decided to ignore her friend's childish behavior. “I can't see the others anywhere. I hope they found a good hiding spot in the mountains…”
She continued to watch for a few more seconds until her PHS rang. Puzzled, she pulled it out of her pocket and opened it up. “Hello? …Oh, hello, Vincent…what…? …I see…okay, we'll get right on it,”
She hung up and turned to Aeris, who was now sitting up and eyeing her curiously. “Change of plans. Pack your stuff…”
 
“I see them…” Sephiroth announced.
Vincent, Barrett, and Biggs perked up.
“They're at the bottom of the mountain,” he continued, “It'll be a while until they reach us,”
“So once we nab the guy, we leave toward Rocket Town, right?” Biggs asked.
“Sephiroth will take Rufus to our connections nearby,” Vincent nodded, “We'll hide out at Cid's place until we have the chance to catch up with Sephiroth,”
“Shouldn't be more than an hour,” Sephiroth muttered absently, “Let's get this over with,”
To be honest, Sephiroth hadn't been able to shake the feeling of utter dread since he'd first arrived in the town. The hike he'd gone on the day before seemed to make things worse. Though he was able to put on an act to fool his comrades, the feeling was at it's all-time high today.
“…And we can't let them reach the reactor- Sephiroth, are you listening to me?” Vincent glanced at his son.
Sephiroth snapped back to attention. “Sorry,” he mumbled, “I'm aware of what needs to be done,”
“Just leave it to me,” Biggs grinned and held up a support materia, “Thank the Ancients for Sleepel…”
“Hell yeah!” Barrett raised his gun in the air, “Bring it on!”
Sephiroth continued to watch the small party making their way up the mountain.
This is not your place…
The swordsman's eyes widened.
Come to me…my kin…I'm not far…come to me and learn the truth of your destiny!
“It's the same voice…” Sephiroth whispered, “…is what the woman on the ship said true? Am I truly not alone?”
“…Seph?” Barrett scratched his head, “Yer not making any sense, kid,”
Sephiroth turned around and began to walk down the mountain, toward the reactor.
“Where are you going?” Vincent asked sharply.
Sephiroth ignored his father and raised his arms. After a moment, he shot into the air, bearing down toward the large structure below.
What the hell has gotten into him? Vincent couldn't help but stare ahead of him. “I suppose we'll have to follow him now. I think he's making his way toward the reactor. Let's go,”
 
“Her kin…” Sephiroth spoke absently as he walked over to the stairs that led to the reactor.
Not quite aware of himself, he walked up the stairs and attempted to open the door. It was locked. Not wasting any time, he stepped back, and then charged forward delivering a strong kick, breaking it down.
He stepped inside the large, dark room. In front of him were dozens of pod-like structures, lined up all around the center of the room. At the top stood one single structure. Even in the dark, Sephiroth could read the name: Jenova.
The creature that is part of me…Sephiroth thought in wonder, Mom said she was a parasite. That it was she who decimated the Cetra. She always said I was my own person…but if this creature is a parasitic being…how can I be any different?
Curiously, he strode over to the staircase. He'd always wondered about Jenova, whom Hojo had lied and told him was his mother. Ifalna had said that Jenova might come alive once more. Had she? Was it she who was calling him? Did she believe she was his mother?
They've kept it all from you, my son…you are special…because this world is yours for the taking. I've watched you…never able to reach you until now. And now, this is your chance to exact revenge on the people who have hurt you…
“Hojo is dead,” Sephiroth answered out loud, “I don't need revenge,”
What of the others who allowed Hojo to hurt you? The others who forced you to run? The ignorant masses who stare at you like a freak? You could take the Planet back from them…and keep it all for yourself…for me…and for the one you so desperately want…yes, I know you've lusted after the her…the woman-child…is it so wrong?
Sephiroth closed his eyes in shame.
Build a new world with her…a new enlightened race.
“She's too young!”
For how long will she be? You wanted to break the spine of the boy who broke her heart three years ago. Because you knew you could do better by her. I know that you want the Cetra hybrid by your side…in your arms…in your bed…
“SHUT UP!!!!” Sephiroth yelled, “SHUT UP!!!! IT'S YOU PUTTING THESE DISGUSTING THOUGHTS IN MY HEAD!! IT WAS YOU THE WHOLE TIME!!!!!!!!”
I did no such thing…I merely watched them…my son…you've built up so much tension inside throughout the years… Anger…pain…fear…desire… Don't be afraid to release the tension…don't be afraid to fly…
“Something tells me I don't need your help…!” Sephiroth growled.
Don't you? You've been lied to…look around you.
Sephiroth glanced at the pods surrounding him.
Look inside…
He reluctantly obliged and went up to one of the pods. Standing on his toes, he looked inside.
Seeing the disfigured wretch staring back at him from inside, he recoiled instantly.
That monster…he realized silently, was human!
“Sephiroth!!”
The silver-haired swordsman slowly turned around to see Vincent and the others standing at the entrance.
“Thank the Ancients for haste spells as well!” Biggs crossed his arms and glared at Sephiroth, “We practically killed ourselves chasing after you!”
“How the hell did you fly like that?” Barrett scowled.
Vincent peered at his son, and noticed the young man was as pale as a ghost. Concerned, he sped over to him.
“What's the matter, Sephiroth?”
The swordsman looked at Vincent, and then silently pointed at the pod. His father went up to the window and peered inside. He instantly grimaced and stepped back.
“You saw it!” Sephiroth whispered shakily. His eyes were wide with fear; something that neither Biggs nor Barrett had ever seen from him before. “All of them were once human!”
“No way!” Barrett exclaimed, “Seph, what the hell is the matter with ya!”
“I've always known since I was small…” Sephiroth whispered, “…that I was different from the others. Mom and the professor said I was special…everyone told me I was special…but…like this?!”
He turned to Vincent. “…What are we…?”
“Sephiroth, get a hold of yourself!” Vincent commanded sharply, “You've already derailed this mission severely! We can still make our move if we stay put, and if you calm down!
“How can I calm down?” Sephiroth laughed bitterly, “How can you be so calm?! Oh- that's right. The professor fixed you up- your eyes glow a little, but you're still pretty much all human. What about me?”
“You're my son,” Vincent stated simply.
“Why didn't he tell me…?” Sephiroth stared at the pods, “Why did he have to disappear…?”
Would you like to know the truth…?
“Yes…” Sephiroth hung his head, “That's all I want to know…!”
“Who the hell are you talking to?” Barrett frowned.
Sephiroth slowly walked up the stairs leading to the top. A statue resembling some kind of angel stood in front of him. Impulsively, he grabbed it and ripped the metal figure from the ground. Oil splattered everywhere, but he merely threw the statue aside.
Looking up, he saw the small chamber that the limbless, blue-skinned woman was encased in. He raised his sword, and shattered the glass.
“Damn fool is ruining the mission!” Barrett growled as he and Biggs caught up to Vincent.
“I think the mission is over,” Vincent stated.
“What?!” Barrett and Biggs exclaimed.
“This is much bigger than the threat of Shinra,” Vincent peered into the chamber where Jenova still sat.
Suddenly, the blue-skinned woman's eyes popped open. The three men jumped back.
“Holy shit!” Barrett exclaimed.
The woman strained, and two arms instantly shot out of her shoulders. Ducking out of the headpiece bearing the name Professor Gast had given her, she kicked over the restraints holding her legs in place, and stepped out of the chamber.
“My kin…” Sephiroth murmured.
Yes…you have finally freed me…
Barrett pointed his machine gun at Jenova. She snapped her head in his direction and raised her hand. A bolt of electricity shot out, zapping him. Yelling in pain, he dropped the gun and stumbled back.
“Weapons like that are useless against her!” shouted a female voice.
Sephiroth snapped out of his daze as he and everyone else turned to see the woman he'd met on the ship standing at the bottom of the stairs.
“The hell are you?!” Barrett yelled at her.
The auburn-haired woman ignored him and took a few more steps forward.
Who…are you?
“So sad…” the stranger shook her head, “Are you so ravaged that you can no longer speak aloud anymore?”
Silence! Jenova aimed a fire spell at the woman, who quickly cast a reflect spell. The flames bounced off the barrier and returned to her, singeing the alien creature in the process.
“You all had best run,” the woman looked at the others, “Sephiroth and I are the only ones who can handle her in terms of skill, but Sephiroth is not immune to the sickness. You all need to leave!”
Something inside told Vincent that this woman was not playing around. He looked at his three companions, nodded, and began to descend the stairs.
No!!! Jenova raised her arms, and two tentacles shot out, aimed at the party.
The woman effortlessly caught the tentacles in her hands. “I'm the one you're fighting now!”
Vincent, Barrett and Biggs led a stunned Sephiroth out of the reactor…only to find themselves staring right into the barrel of Tseng's gun.
 
“Aeris?!” Jessie put her arm on the shoulder of the young swordswoman, who was now leaning against the buggy window, writhing in pain. “Aeris, what's wrong?!”
“Oh god…!” Aeris sobbed loudly, “It's so loud!! It hurts!!! Make it stop!!! AHH!!! MAKE IT STOP!!!”
“What's the matter with her?” the driver asked worriedly.
One of Avalanche's contacts had been notified to come pick the girls up and take them to the rendezvous point where Rufus would be kept. They were now almost at their destination.
Just then, Aeris had keeled over, clutching her head and cringing in horrible pain.
Jenova lives again…Aeris managed to discern through the anguished cries of the Planet. Its own screams and agony were causing her horrible physical pain.
Jessie leaned over next to Aeris and put her arms around the girl, desperately trying to comfort her somehow.
Aeris screamed one more time, and then abruptly went limp in Jessie's arms.
 
A/N: Whoops! Cliffhanger. Sorry. Just remember- cliffhangers have conclusions. I will give you one soon. This chapter was fun to write on so many levels.
Anyway, stay tuned to see what happens next. I look forward to reading your comments.