Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Who's John ShinRa? ❯ Rising to Power ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: I do not own Final Fantasy VII.
 
Chapter 6: Rising to Power
 
Reeve watched the small display screen on the small control device and smiled as he saw Cait Sith's tracer moving away from Midgar. He had heard that AVALANCHE was successful in stopping Professor Hojo from firing the Sister Ray. Now the group was on their way to the Northern Crater to fight Sephiroth.
 
He closed his eyes in relief and set Cait Sith on auto-pilot before replacing the control device in his vest pocket. His eyes scanned his surroundings and he sighed in defeat as he immersed himself in the drab look of his detention cell. The metal walls weren't an eyesore, but certainly not the most attractive décor that ShinRa had to offer either. He feared that at any minute, Scarlet and Heidegger would order some soldiers to escort him to his execution.
 
A loud knock on the metal door startled Reeve as he almost fell on the floor. A pit of nervousness formed in his stomach as he swallowed a hard lump in his throat to calm his nerves.
 
“Yes?” Reeve's voice croaked hesitantly.
 
The metal door creaked open and Reeve's face fell in despair as he saw Reno, Rude and Elena walk into his small cell.
 
“Hey, didn't think we'd forget about ya, did you?” Reno said with a smirk.
 
“I guess it's time,” Reeve said despondently.
 
“Damn straight it's time!” Reno said while lighting a cigarette.
 
“Come along Mister President. We have a lot of things to discuss,” Rude interjected in a professional manner.
 
Reeve's ears perked when he heard Rude talk. “Did . . . did you just call me the President?”
 
“Affirmative,” Rude said calmly.
 
“In case you didn't know. AVALANCHE infiltrated Midgar and attacked the Sister Ray. In the process they destroyed Scarlet and Heidegger's machine, the Proud Clod, with them in it. Since Scarlet and Heidegger are dead now and Palmer was killed when the Weapon attacked, we came to the last ShinRa executive alive and that's you. Now you're the new President and we're here to get you out of jail,” Elena said almost in one breath.
 
Reeve was amazed at the girl's propensity for talking. He was also shocked to hear that he was now asked to guide the people of Midgar. “I can't be next in line! There has to be some kind of mistake. What about Rufus's body-double? Wasn't he part of the chain-of-command?”
 
“Technically, no. No where in the ShinRa constitution does it list a body-double as part of the chain-of-command,” Elena said smartly.
 
“But I thought he was Rufus's half-brother. At least, that's what I was told when I was hired as Head of Urban Development,” Reeve replied.
 
“He is, but he isn't. The dead ShinRa . . . I mean the dead fat ShinRa ordered us to make sure no one except the top execs knew of Johnny boy's relation to him. So even though he's the dead skinny ShinRa's brother, the only power he has is to take a crap by himself,” Reno said while taking a drag off his cigarette.
 
“But, can't we use him to pose as President Rufus?” Reeve tried to reason.
 
“Ya, see, there's the problem. Scarlet and Heidegger let him go,” Reno answered.
 
“Yeah, apparently they didn't see him as a threat and knew that he had no power in ShinRa except to bear the ShinRa name, I even heard that he wasn't listed in the will so that's all up to debate. I don't know why they didn't decide to just kill him off though cause I mean he could've tried to take over pretending to be Rufus,” Elena wondered while placing her index finger on her chin in contemplation.
 
“Because those two are fucking dingbats, that's why! Ya think they'd be able to do something smart with their heads so big and swollen by their egos. Oh, by the way, did you ever hear what they did in the Proud Clod when they were testing it out?” Reno said with a lecherous smile on his face.
 
“Oh, that's so disgusting! I don't even want to know,” Elena cried out while covering her ears.
 
“How'd ya know it was going to be perverted?” Reno said sarcastically.
 
“Because I know you Reno and you always have your mind in the gutter,” Elena answered.
 
Their conversation was ended by Rude's loud coughing. The pair turned to stare at their comrade who nodded his head toward a very amused, yet baffled Reeve.
 
“Oh yeah . . . work,” Reno said with a smirk.
 
Elena sighed at Reno's smart comments and opened the door to the cell so they could escort Reeve to the temporary headquarters.
 
Reno led the procession with Reeve flanked by Elena and Rude. They made short time of walking from the detention cell to the temporary headquarters located in one of the break rooms on the upper floors.
 
The group entered the tiny room and led Reeve to the makeshift desk that was made-up of the coffee table and a wooden kitchen chair. Stacks of paper were placed haphazardly on the counters and a jerry-rigged intercom phone had been installed to replace the simple touch-tone phone that once adorned the wall.
 
Three men were waiting patiently for Reeve while they each held a stack of paper and frantic looks on their faces. Reeve had seen them around the office before. They were Scarlet, Heidegger and Palmer's personal aides. He looked around the room looking for his personal aide, Jim, but didn't see him in the room.
 
Before Reeve could ask the three men where he was, one of them sadly spoke up. “Jim's dead sir.”
 
“What! When did that happen Thomas?” Reeve said in disbelief.
 
“He was on the top floor when the Weapon attacked,” Thomas said.
 
“I can't believe it! He was such a promising employee. I think he had a family too,” Reeve said as he slumped in a small wooden chair.
 
“I know it's upsetting to hear about Jim, but we have a lot of work to do now President Anderson,” a man with glasses said.
 
“I understand. So I guess you took over Heidegger's job, Eric?”
 
“Yes, sir. Thomas took Palmer's and Chris, Scarlet's. We haven't found a replacement for Jim yet,” Eric said softly.
 
“We'll handle that later. By the looks on your faces you're worrying about a lot more than just Jim's death,” Reeve deduced.
 
“Yes we are sir. According to Chris's calculations, Meteor is going to strike Midgar in three days,” Eric replied.
 
“We thought about sending troops to escort everyone out of Midgar, but the banks have frozen most of ShinRa's accounts after hearing about the President death. Apparently they need verification of his death before handing the corporation's assets to us and Scarlet and Heidegger neglected to send a search team to even look for his body,” Thomas interjected.
 
“Also, AVALANCHE has been sighted heading towards the Northern Crater,” Chris added.
 
Reeve pondered all the information he was given carefully. He wasn't concerned about AVALANCHE since he knew what they were doing. He knew that they would have to send someone up to the ShinRa Tower to find President Rufus's body to give the bank their verification so they could have money, but that was an easy task for the Turks. His main concern was trying to evacuate the city within three days.
 
It was going to be an impossible project. He could easily do it in a week, but he could only evacuate two or three sectors at most in three days. He could evacuate everyone in the upper plates to the slums, which was more probable, but there was no guarantee that the city would survive Meteor's onslaught by the Upper Plates alone.
 
It was going to be a gamble. Something he had been familiar with while masquerading as Cait Sith. He had taken many chances in the past with only choice he ever regretted. Reeve pulled out his wallet and his eyes scanned the picture of his daughter who smiled brightly with a toothy grin. It was the last picture that his ex-wife Melissa had sent to him of her. He sighed with relief as he thought about his daughter Sara. At least she and her mother were on another continent in Costa Del La Sol away from Meteor's projected path.
 
Reeve put the picture of Sara away as he straightened his coat. There was only one option left that was feasible. “Eric, Thomas, Chris; I want you three to coordinate the evacuation of everyone in Midgar to the old underground city,” Reeve said calmly.
 
“The underground city? You mean Old Midgar?” Chris exclaimed.
 
“Yes, Old Midgar,” Reeve said calmly.
 
“But, no one's been in Old Midgar in ages. How will we know it'll be safe?” Thomas asked.
 
“It's a whole lot safer than staying on the Upper Plates and braving Meteor. Besides, I'm sure you all realized we probably wouldn't survive with everyone in the slums hoping that the upper plates won't fall. Midgar's a great city, but it's not invincible. I should know, I helped build it,” Reeve said.
 
The trio all nodded their heads in agreement before dismissing themselves from the office.
 
“Reno, Rude, Elena; I want you three to get Rufus ShinRa's body out of the wreckage of the ShinRa Tower so we can give those bankers their proof. I'll try to talk to them and see if they'll give us any sort of relief just in case you can't find the body,” Reeve ordered.
 
Reno gave a mock salute as he started to head for the door.
 
“Oh Reeve?” Reno said.
 
“Yes, Reno?”
 
“You better not die,” the Turk said seriously while turning his head to face the newly appointed President.
 
“I'll certainly do my best,” Reeve smiled.
 
“No, you don't understand. You are not going to die, you can't,” Reno said again emphasized.
 
Reeve stared at the Turk slightly bewildered at his insistence.
 
“I know this is a stupid reason for me to give, but if you die I'll be the next in line for President,” Reno explained
 
“Reno, I'm surprised you don't want this opportunity to become a world leader. If I died, you could become the most powerful person in the world,” Reeve said in disbelief at Reno's behavior.
 
“That's the reason why you can't die. I can order people to kill and boss people around for intimidation, but I can't run a nation and tell people how to live. Hell, I can't even live my own life so I don't want to be burdened with the fate of an entire nation. That's your job,” Reno smirked as he left the office but not before ensuring that two ShinRa guards were posted at the door to solidify Reeve's safety.
 
Reeve shook his head and smiled as he watched the Turks leave. He never thought that Reno would pass on an opportunity to be the President of ShinRa. Reeve sighed as his thoughts drifted back to his daughter Sara. He pulled out the picture of the smiling ten-year-old and his face fell with grief. He had a feeling that Reno had much better sense than he did for avoiding the office of the Presidency. It was going to require more work and responsibility: the two things that he chose over his own family.
 
Reeve dialed a few numbers on his PHS and waited for the other line to pick-up.
 
“Hello?” the voice of a woman answered.
 
“Mel? It's me.”
 
“Reeve? I thought I told you not to call anymore,” the woman replied slightly irritated.
 
“I know. But it might be the last time I'll get the talk to you . . . ever,” Reeve said softly.
 
“What? What do you mean the last time ever?” the woman said concerned.
 
“Have you been hearing the news about Meteor?”
 
“Yes, I have . . . Oh God! You're still in Midgar!”
 
“Melissa, I know it sounds crazy, but I have to stay here to get the people to safety.”
 
“Reeve, why you?”
 
“I've just been appointed as the new President,” Reeve said with a sigh.
 
“Well, since you're the President, can't you get someone else to stay in Midgar so you can get out safely,” Melissa pleaded.
 
“I can't because no one else can do the job right.”
 
“That's what you said to me last time . . . remember,” Melissa said softly.
 
“Yeah, I know. I'm sorry I chose my work over you and Sara. I'm really sorry . . . I,” Reeve began to say, but stopped.
 
“I know. It's ok. I know you wanted a better life for us. It's my fault too for being so stubborn.”
 
“No Mel, don't blame yourself. It was my fault too. I still think about you and Sara every night. But how is she? Can I talk to her?”
 
“Yeah, hold on. Let me get her,” Melissa said while sniffing back a tear.
 
Reeve held his breath as he thought about what he was going to say to his daughter. It had been so long since he had talked to her and even longer since he had last seen her.
 
“Daddy?” the shrill voice of a young girl boomed over the phone.
 
“Yes, sweetie, it's Daddy. How's my princess doing?”
 
“I'm great Daddy! Mommy and I are baking cookies today,” Sara said gleefully.
 
“Oh, I know those will be yummy,” Reeve chuckled.
 
“Can you come over to eat them? Mommy and I made a whooole lot of them,” she said while emphasizing the word `whole.'
 
“I'm sorry princess, but Daddy has a lot of work that he has to do. He's trying to help a whoooole city full of people,” Reeve said while imitating his daughter.
 
“Oh, you're so silly Daddy. But will you visit after you help everyone? I got a new dress and I want to show it to you,” Sara said excitedly.
 
“I will. I promise,” Reeve said shutting his eyes, knowing that he couldn't guarantee to his daughter that he would be alive in three days.
 
“Yay! Ok, Mommy wants to talk to you now. Bye-bye Daddy, I love you!”
 
“I love you too sweetie,” Reeve said as if it would be the last time he'd talk to his daughter.
 
“Reeve?”
 
“I'm here Mel.”
 
“Please keep that promise you just made to Sara. It would be a lot to her and me. I know you weren't the best husband, but I want you to be safe, ok?”
 
“I will. I'll try my best for her . . . for both of you. If I survive, you'll know,” Reeve said softly.
 
“Thanks. But I need to help Sara with the cookies now. Take care,” Melissa said with a mixture of hesitation and compassion.
 
“Ok, you take care too,” Reeve said as he waited for the sound of the dial tone.
 
He put away his PHS and sat silently as he stared at the picture of his daughter. Reeve closed his eyes as he clasped his hands together in a silent prayer. Lord, if you're going to claim the lives of this city and let Meteor fall on this planet, I pray that you at least spare the life of my wife and daughter. Reeve opened his eyes only to find them blurred with his own tears.
 
Reeve quickly wiped them away and took a deep breath. He had a lot of work to do and now was not the time to break down emotionally. He picked up the phone on the desk and proceeded to dial a few numbers.
 
“Hello, I need to speak with Mr. Baker, the head of the bank. Who is this? This is the new President of ShinRa, Reeve Anderson.”
* * *
 
 
The Turks cautiously made their way up the stairs toward the top floor, which looked like a war zone after Weapon had finished its deed. In the short time Scarlet and Heidegger were in office, they neglected to send a crew up to the top floors to clear out any of the debris. Chunks of wreckage would occasionally fall sixty stories high to the ground from the destroyed floors.
 
The three Turks finally made it to the top floor and opened the door to survey the damage. They could see the burnt remains of desks, chairs and scattered bits of steel and concrete twisting in awkward angles. They carefully walked around the various bits of debris, trying not to bump into some of the jagged bits of metal that precariously hung from the ceiling.
 
“Do we know where he was when the Weapon knocked him off?” Reno asked Rude.
 
“Yes, in the office.”
 
“Hmmm, I guess that's this way,” Reno said pointing to the remains of the towering oak doors that lead to the President's office.
 
The trio entered what was left of the office and started their search for the late President's body. Bits of glass and burnt wood littered the once spacious office. Elena could be seen poking around in a small heap of trash while Reno and Rude were working on lifting up the remains of a desk. Once the desk had been turned over, the pair was met with a foul stench that nearly caused Reno to puke.
 
“Oh, god! That shit stinks! I think we got him Elena!” Reno called over to his comrade while covering his nose and mouth with his shirt.
 
Elena raced over to the pair and gasped as she stared at the blacked remains of the late President. There was nothing left on his body that hadn't been burned beyond the point of recognition. Both clothes and flesh had been consumed by the energy blast that tore through the building.
 
“Well, here he is. You got the body bag Elena?” Reno asked.
 
“Yeah, right here,” Elena said while pulling out a large black bag and scrunched her nose in disgust.
 
“Wait!” Rude shouted.
 
“What is it?” Reno said while coughing, trying to hold down the bile in his throat.
 
“This isn't President Rufus?”
 
“What the fuck? Who is it then?”
 
“It's John,” Rude said as he lifted the slightly charred dog tags that hung around the corpse's neck.
 
“If this is John, then where's Rufus?” Elena asked.
 
“Hell if I know! But we gotta tell Reeve. Rude, Elena, bag the body. I'm going to get on my PHS,” Reno said walking further and further away from the corpse for some fresh air.
 
He punched a few numbers and waited until he heard Reeve's voice answer the phone.
 
“Reeve here.”
 
“Yo, boss-man. We got a problem,” Reno said while lighting a cigarette to further mask the stench of the corpse.
 
“Problem?”
 
“Yeah, we found the body but it's not Rufus's.”
 
“Not Rufus's?”
 
“Yeah, it's John ShinRa's.”
 
“Wait, let me get this straight. You found John ShinRa's body, the John who is Rufus's body double and half-brother?”
 
“Yep, and he's stinking up the place,” Reno said while taking a drag of his cigarette.
 
“Then that means Scarlet and Heidegger let Rufus leave Junon! Shit!” Reeve cursed.
 
“Whoa, never thought you had a cursing bone in your body there Reeve,” Reno laughed.
 
“I usually don't, but this is serious. We're not going to get any money from the banks without Rufus himself or proof of his death. We're going to have to find Rufus as soon as humanly possible.”
 
Reno took the cigarette and dangled it between his index finger and thumb while blowing out all the excess smoke before answering, “I thought you'd say that. We'll don't you worry your little head, cause I got a plan.”
 
(continued…)