Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Who's John ShinRa? ❯ Getting Back on the Saddle ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: I do own Final Fantasy VII.
Chapter 13: Getting Back on the Saddle
 
"Are you sure that it's safe to travel to Kalm?" Thomas asked nervously as he stared at the looming metal ladder that led to the surface.
 
"I'm sure it is Mr. Wheeler. I heard the fifth infantry division didn't have any problems when they made their way across the plains. We don't usually see many large monsters lurking between Kalm and Midgar, just small fries," the solider said as he began his ascent up the metal ladder.
 
Thomas swallowed hard before readjusting the backpack of papers slung on his shoulders. He took one deep breath and closed his eyes as he reached out and grabbed the first rung of the ladder. The paint was so old that large patches of rust were splattered up and down the metal ladder. Thomas normally would have been worried about getting a cut on his hands along the rusted metal edges, but that concern was overshadowed by his fear of falling hundreds of feet down if he were to lose his grip.
 
The young aide kept his eyes locked on the solider ahead of him as he climbed the ladder. The pair seemed to climb for hours as they continued to go higher and higher up the small shaft. After a few minutes of climbing, the solider finally came to a halt as he reached up to push the hatch open. Sunlight poured into the small shaft and Thomas nearly lost his grip as he squinted against the bright light.
 
"Never thought I'd see the light again," the solider sighed as he climbed out and offered his hand to Thomas.
 
Thomas shielded his eyes from the bright light as he cautiously placed his feet on the rickety ground. When he finally dropped his hands and looked out upon Midgar, he was left utterly speechless to the apocalyptic scene. The once great city he had grown up in had been reduced to rubble. The solider was also in awe of the extent to Meteor's damage. They both thought it was a miracle that the Old Midgar kept them safe.
 
Their thoughtful moment was interrupted by the static of Thomas's walkie-talkie as the buzz jarred the pair back to reality. The aide fumbled for the small device that was clipped to his belt.
 
"Thomas here."
 
"You made it up topside yet?"
 
"Yeah, I'm up top."
 
"What does it look like?"
 
"Words can't really describe the scene I'm looking at right now. It's like I'm standing on top of the world's largest junkyard," Thomas said as he scanned the endless sea of destruction.
 
"Just be careful out there. Oh, do you know if the fifth infantry made it back yet? Eric said he got a call from General Matthews."
 
Thomas peeled his eyes away from the wreck that was Midgar and spotted an airship making its way towards the area. The airship was close enough that he could read the ship's name to be the Manifest.
 
"I see an airship headed this way right now. It's called the Manifest. Is that the one Chris?"
 
"Yep, that's the one. Reeve will be glad to hear that we finally got some fresh food and medical supplies."
 
"That's good to know. Things are starting to get better, aren't they?"
 
"Yeah, they are. I'm sure that everything will turn out in the end. Good luck out there, ok? Try not to get eaten by any monsters while you're away."
 
"Thanks for the reassuring words," Thomas replied sarcastically.
 
"You know we really mean the best for you. But seriously, be careful out there," Chris deepened his tone.
 
"I will. You guys take care," Thomas said as he switched the walkie-talkie off and replaced it on his belt.
 
Thomas looked around for his companion and scrunched his brow in curiosity as he watched the solider searching around the rubble.
 
"Um, excuse me? Did you find a safe path that will lead us out of Midgar?" Thomas asked cautiously.
 
"Almost, just gotta find a sign," the solider replied as he lifted up a sheet of metal and looked under it.
 
"A sign?"
 
"Yeah, a sign. Oh, my name's Pete by the way. Private Pete if you want to be formal and stuff," Pete replied as he poked at a pile of rubble.
 
"Well, um . . . what exactly are you looking for Pete?"
 
"This!" Pete shouted with excitement.
 
Thomas stared at the object Pete was holding in his hands with bewilderment. To Thomas, it looked like a yellowish rock in the shape of a hamburger bun.
 
"What is that thing?"
 
"This my friend, is a ShinRa-issued biscuit. The hardest element known to man," Pete smiled broadly.
 
"A biscuit! What the hell are you doing with a biscuit?"
 
"Captain Lynn from the fifth infantry division left these so that anyone else looking for the safest path out of Midgar could find it," Pete said as he put the biscuit back and followed the trail next to him.
 
Thomas followed his escort and stared awkwardly at the biscuit as he past it.
 
"What if some animal comes up and eats this? Don't you all ever worry about that?"
 
"Trust me, no living creature would want to eat a ShinRa-issued ration," Pete laughed.
 
Thomas was still amazed at how ShinRa's army utilized their rations and was curious as to what components of the biscuit made it so unappealing. He had never had any ShinRa-issued rations and wasn't sure if he ever would after learning of what soldiers like Pete thought of them. After the pair passed a few of the biscuits, Thomas curiously picked one up trying to see if the hardened pastry was as tough as Pete claimed.
 
Thomas smelled it, but there was no distinguishable odor that he could detect. He wasn't going to risk biting into it since it had been sitting out in the open. Looking around, he tried to figure out what to do with it, he slammed the biscuit into a metal post jutting out of the rubble expecting the ration to shatter. All Thomas got from that experiment was a loud bang, a dent in the metal post, a biscuit that was still in tact and a very strange look from Pete.
 
"What are you trying to do, wake-up the natives?" Pete asked while he shouldered his rifle.
 
"Oh, sorry. I just really wanted to see if this biscuit was as hard as you said it was," Thomas replied apologetically.
 
"What did the metal post ever do to you?" Pete chided.
 
Their argument was interrupted by the voice of a man who was climbing up the rubble to where the pair stood.
 
"Are you two ok?"
 
Thomas and Pete stared at the man who appeared out the twisted chunks of metal littering Midgar. The man sported a hard hat, which was the only part of his head that wasn't caked in dust and grime. The man hardly looked like the type of person who would go out of their way to ask of someone's condition, but then no one really expects to see anyone climbing the rubble of Midgar.
 
"Um, yeah. We're good," Pete responded.
 
"Are you the only survivors? How long have you been in the rubble?" the man asked frantically.
 
"We're fine sir. We both came from Midgar's underground city," Thomas answered.
 
"Underground city? You mean there are survivors from Meteor? Oh, thank goodness. We've been searching the rubble for any survivors since last night, but you two are the first people from Midgar that we've seen. How did you guys get out alive?"
 
"Up about a mile to the East is a trap door leading to the underground city. That's how we got out," Pete answered.
 
"How many people are there like you? I mean, are there any others searching for survivors?" Thomas asked the man.
 
"Yeah, about twenty of us traveled here after Meteor nearly took out the entire continent and tried to see if we could help dig out any survivors. As I'm sure you can imagine, we've seen plenty of death and destruction to last us our lifetimes. But would you guys mind coming down to the camp? I'm sure that seeing that there are survivors would help boost our morale. Also, if you want to give us direction as to where that trap door is, I'm sure we could help get anyone else out of the underground city."
 
"Well, we're kinda in a rush. We need to get to Kalm before too long. There's an exit to get out of the underground city, but we've got the elderly and injured who can't climb up a long ladder to the surface," Pete answered.
 
"We have a plan to have miners dig in the Kalm mines to open up an exit so everyone can escape. I need to get there so they know where to start digging," Thomas said as he pointed to backpack. "Besides, there should be a convoy coming this way to deliver some food and needed supplies to the underground city. I'm sure that they would be willing to help you."
 
"Is that what that airship over there is carrying. I saw it earlier but wasn't sure if it was here because of Meteor. I'm glad that we're not the only ones out here trying to do something good."
 
"Yeah, I am too," Thomas said as his heart warmed with hope. "Oh, and by-the-way, please tell you and your friends thanks for doing what you're doing."
 
"Nothing a humanitarian wouldn't do," the man replied with a smile. "What are your names by the way?"
 
"This is Mr. Thomas Wheeler and I'm Private Peter Edinburg, sir," Pete said with a salute.
 
"I'll remember those names. Good luck to you boys. I'll head on back to the camp to let them know about that convoy."
 
Thomas and Pete continued on their trek towards Kalm and both landed with a relived sigh on the soft earth as they cleared the borders of Midgar.
 
"Whew, glad to be finally out of there," Pete whistled.
 
"Yeah, same here. I guess it's time to start walking towards Kalm and avoiding those monsters," Thomas gulped.
 
"Avoiding? Hell, we can't avoid them. They come to us. We just have to fight them if they attack," Pete said a bit too enthusiastically.
 
"Wonderful, looking forward to it," Thomas said with a worried look.
 
* * *
 
Nanaki watched as Tifa stroked the soft feathers of her chocobo. The pair had climbed on board the Highwind to talk in private about what needed to be done if they were to encounter John ShinRa or worse, Rufus.
 
"How could Rufus have survived the attack on the ShinRa Tower? I didn't think that anyone could have come out of that blast alive," Nanaki pondered.
 
"I really don't know. It's possible that Rufus wasn't in the Tower. Reeve mentioned something about Rufus having a half-brother. Do you think that his half-brother was in the tower instead of him?"
 
"That certainly is a possibility. Though it's also possible that the ShinRa who's walking around is actually the half-brother and Rufus did indeed perish in the attack. So many questions and so few answers; I guess we'll have to wait it out and see."
 
"What do you think Rufus would do if he did survive the attack?" Tifa asked concerned.
 
"If he follows the same pattern that he has in the past, then I think his first course of action would be to reclaim his company, which is unfortunately a necessity according to Reeve. After that, he might go back to reaping the world of mako and searching for the Promised Land. I still find it hard to believe that he's important to rebuilding the world," Nanaki snarled.
 
"I don't think he is, but his money is. I guess it goes to show that you can't rule the world with kindness alone. It really is a shame though, I know that Reeve can do a lot for the world if he only had the chance," Tifa said softly.
 
"Don't distress Tifa. I'm sure that there are plenty of more people in the world like Reeve and AVALANCHE who don't need to be subsidized for work done or sacrifices made. Just try to believe in that and don't ever lose hope in humanity," Nanaki said as he nuzzled his head against her legs.
 
"Oh, thanks Nanaki. You always say the wisest things," Tifa smiled as she scratched behind his ears. "I just hope that I can remember that if we do find Rufus ShinRa. Ever since I saw my father murdered, I swore to hate ShinRa for destroying my life. Now it seems though I have to protect the family I hate so much to help the lives of everyone. How ironic, isn't it?"
 
"Fate certainly does work in mysterious ways. I hope that we do find the missing ShinRa before anyone else does. I'm sure no one could resist the bounty the ShinRa-King Organization broadcast on the radio."
 
"I know what you mean Nanaki. I hope for Reeve's sake we do find him before anyone else.
 
"And I hope for that ShinRa's sake, you or I learn of his identity before Barrett does. I don't know how I'm going to be able to restrain him if he finds him first," Nanaki shook his head.
 
"Just do your best. I don't know whether or not Yuffie or John hold any grudges."
 
"That does bring me to an interesting matter. What do you think of our new comrade?"
 
"He seems capable in a fight. I think he's a ShinRa army deserter. The way he talks and acts remind me so much of Cloud when he escaped from ShinRa," Tifa answered.
 
"I have the same feeling, but I also feel as if he's not telling us everything."
 
Tifa nodded and pursed her lips in thought. "Do you think he's a threat?"
 
"I don't believe he is, but all I know is that you shouldn't give your trust to him easily. He should earn it."
 
Tifa thought of how John was supposed to earn her trust and the sudden image of John fighting off monsters and whisking her off her feet in a dashing rescue popped into her head. The image was quite humorous for the fighter who was fully capable of defending herself and she couldn't help but laugh at her imagination.
 
"That amuses you?" Nanaki asked.
 
"No, it wasn't what you said. I was just trying to picture him rescuing me, but it just doesn't look right. You know how I can take care of myself. I don't really feel comfortable being saved by anyone else except Cl—" Tifa stopped suddenly.
 
"Except Cloud, right?" Nanaki finished for her.
 
"Yes," Tifa said softly.
 
"We all miss him Tifa. I understand your pain greatly."
 
"I know Nanaki. I told myself I wouldn't cry anymore because he wants me to be happy. But he was always there for me to rescue me at the last minute. I don't think anyone could replace him."
 
"I don't think Cloud would ever want you to replace him either. But as long as he is there in your heart, that should be good enough. Besides, I'm sure you know that everyone in AVALANCHE will be there by your side."
 
"I know. Thank you. But I do understand what you're trying to say about John. I'll keep that in mind. You know that he's really no different than any of us," Tifa said thoughtfully.
 
"How so?"
 
"Well, we all joined AVALANCHE mainly because we ran into each other. You joined us because you were trying to escape Hojo's lab and Yuffie, well," Tifa chuckled. "That was certainly a random encounter to have in the woods. Also, don't forget that we just opened up a coffin and there was Vincent. We took him in without any questions."
 
"I do see your point there, but acceptance and trust are two different issues. I had no problem accepting Yuffie or Vincent, but that still doesn't mean that I trust Yuffie with my materia," Nanaki laughed.
 
"Yeah, don't remind me that I need to keep my materia under lock and key. At least you won't have to worry about our klepto-friend for a while. But please be careful here in Kalm."
 
"I will. And you be careful as well Tifa."
 
* * *
 
Rufus watched bemused at the scene that was unfolding before him. Barrett Wallace was busy posting up crude posters announcing a meeting in Kalm's main street for any able bodied man or woman who wanted to help dig the citizens out of Midgar. He knew that AVALANCHE was waiting for one of the executives from Midgar to reach Kalm so they could start digging in the Kalm mines, but Rufus didn't think that their methods of collecting manpower were necessarily the best.
 
He turned his attention to Cid Highwind who was busily talking to a woman with glasses about the various bits of equipment she had brought along with her. Rufus thought it was strange how the attitude of the pilot had changed suddenly when he began speaking to the woman. Cid's usual barrages of curses and obscenities had greatly decreased and apparently this new attitude was something that this woman hadn't seen in the man either.
 
Yuffie had been seen bobbing in and out of the crowds collecting various items from some of the more well to do citizens of Kalm. Rufus raised his eyebrow as he watched her take the gil she stole and gingerly give it to some of the needy children around the shelters. He had seen her give everything she stole to the poor with the exception of any materia she happened to find. Rufus shook his head trying not to think about how the Princess of Wutai was nothing more than a thief.
 
Rufus's eyes widened in surprise and comfort when the Casey's familiar face headed steadily towards him. He had wondered how the older man was handling things at the clinic with Donna bossing him around. Rufus extended his hand as Casey roughly grabbed it and pat him on the shoulder.
 
"You're still alive ole' boy!"
 
"I see you're in good spirits too," Rufus said as he nursed the hand that Casey grabbed a bit too tightly.
 
"I get another chance to live, who'd want to be sour after that?"
 
"Your mentality never ceases to amaze me," Rufus smiled.
 
"When you get to be my age, ya try to look at things in a different light, ya know?" Casey laughed. "But did ya find who you were lookin' fer?"
 
"Not yet, but I ran into a nice group of people who are willing to help me out. I think I'm going to hang around them until things settle down in Midgar before I go searching there."
 
"Don't blame ya. Say, did you hear the radio last night boy?" Casey whispered.
 
"Yeah, I heard it," Rufus said so only Casey could hear.
 
"So, what did you say your last name was?"
"Uh, Woolfe. John Woolfe."
 
"Woolfe eh? Hm, ain't that the maiden name of the late First Lady of ShinRa?" Casey asked casually.
 
Rufus turned to Casey amazed at his perception. His jaw dropped as he tried to think of anything to say that could save him from the situation, but the look Casey had showed that the older man had figured him out.
 
"How did you know?" Rufus asked as he made sure no one was close enough to hear the two men.
 
"I may be old, but I ain't stupid," Casey said with a wink. "But don't you worry about me telling no body. Good ole' Casey here is gonna pretend he never knew ya. My only question fer ya is why ya didn't tell me?"
 
"It's a bit complicated, but my real name isn't John. I'm actually Rufus ShinRa."
 
"Ya mean ya weren't in the Tower when it went ka-boom?" Casey asked.
 
"No, that wasn't me. That was my half-brother, John. Though, I think everyone assumes that he's still alive and I'm dead. I know that many people are looking for my brother, but I don't know why so I have to tread carefully and find out who to trust before I can reveal my true identity. Can I trust you Casey?" Rufus asked earnestly.
 
"Boy, you don't need to worry about a thing with me. I won't even tell Donna what I just found out today," Casey smiled. "I wouldn't even turn in Sephiroth."
 
"I remember. Casey, I promise you that once I finally reestablish myself, I'm going to pay you back with anything you want," Rufus breathed easily.
 
"Aw, shucks. All I want is just a quiet life in the country. But if you're looking to repay a favor, you can start by helping all those people ya saw at the clinic out. A whole bunch of folks lost their homes because of Meteor and many more cause of what ShinRa used to be. If ya help them and change what ShinRa was, that'll be enough for this old man."
 
Rufus nodded his head as he listened to Casey's words. Casey was truly an altruistic man voicing the opinions of the average citizen. His eyes wandered over to the refuges over at the clinic and closed his eyes thoughtfully. Rufus realized he was a fool for blocking out the values and voices of his constituents. It was going to be a mistake he would never make again.
 
"Casey, be reassured that when I return to office, there will be many changes for the better. I won't let you down."
 
"I know you won't. Make me proud boy," Casey said as he pulled Rufus into a strong bear hug. " I better git so I can help Donna out. You know how she is, but take care now ya hear?"
 
Rufus stood gasping for air as he watched Casey walk back to the clinic. The gentle voice of Tifa turned his attention toward his new ally.
 
"John, who was that?"
 
"Oh, that was Casey. He's just a friend who's volunteering over at the clinic," Rufus replied as he stretched to get the circulation back into his body after Casey's hug.
 
"Oh, I thought he might have been a relative or something," Tifa said reminiscing.
 
"He certainly acts like one," Rufus replied with a laugh.
 
Tifa still stared off towards the clinic where Casey had walked off to with a sad smile planted on her face. Rufus was curious as to her melancholy demeanor. She looked like she was missing something vital in her life that Casey sparked some association with, such as a grandfather or a father. Rufus knew better than to pry into an emotional subject such as family so coughed to get her attention as to why she was here.
 
"Um, Tifa. Are we all set to get going?"
 
"Huh?" Tifa said roused from her trance. "Oh, yes. Sorry about that. I was just remembering . . . that's all. But I already got all the chocobos ready. Come with me."
 
Rufus followed with a puzzled look on his face. He was still curious about what Tifa was thinking a few minutes ago. He followed the fighter until they got to the Highwind where Yuffie was standing next to three gold chocobos.
 
"Have you ever ridden a chocobo," Tifa asked.
 
"No, I've never gotten the chance," Rufus answered as he stared at the magnificent creatures.
 
"You've never ridden a chocobo? Wow, you must be some sort of a city-boy," Yuffie teased as she skillfully hopped onto the saddle of her chocobo, Maru.
 
"You're not the first person to call me that," Rufus replied slightly agitated.
 
"That's because it's obvious that you've never been to the country," Yuffie said condescendingly.
 
"Yuffie, stop teasing John! I remember when I saw you ride a chocobo for the first time you fell off," Tifa countered.
 
"Tifa, I try to forget about that, thanks for reminding me," Yuffie said as she stuck her tongue out and led her chocobo away towards the outskirts of town.
 
Rufus laughed as he watched the Princess of Wutai stick her head up high as she trotted away trying to keep her pride. "Is she always like that?"
 
"Yeah, she is. Oh, before I forget. You might want to keep your materia close by, she has a tendency to steal."
 
"Don't worry, I've noticed," Rufus answered shaking his head.
 
"But this is going to be your chocobo. His name is Mortius," Tifa said as she offered the chocobo's reins.
 
Rufus hesitantly took the reins and let his hand glide along the chocobo's soft feathers. The chocobo cooed and relaxed under the hands of his new master. "He's very tame."
 
"Yeah, I think he likes you. Mortius is one of the fastest chocobos we have next to my chocobo Sabina."
 
"Are you saying that the chocobo you gave me can't outrun your chocobo?"
 
"Nope. Mortius may be fast, but Sabina is much faster. I should know, I trained her," Tifa stated proudly.
 
"We'll just have to see about that," Rufus replied as he tried to mount the chocobo.
 
As Rufus confidently put his foot into the stir-up, Mortius started to move slightly forward causing Rufus to lose his balance and fall over. Tifa laughed as she watched the chocobo return back and nuzzle Rufus gently with his beak.
 
"He may like me but he certainly doesn't want me to ride him," Rufus complained as he pushed himself off from the ground.
 
Rufus wasn't sure why he felt compelled to show-off in front of Tifa. It wasn't a trait that was normally attributed to him. He shook his head as he grabbed the reins of his chocobo and tried to hide the flush of embarrassment creeping up his face.
 
"Don't worry. I don't really know of anyone who hasn't fallen off a chocobo the first time they've ridden one. Even I've fallen off one before, but just a bit more gracefully," Tifa teased.
 
"Somehow I can't picture you falling off of a chocobo whether gracefully or not," Rufus said remembering the fighter's agility.
 
"Well, you better believe it. I have. But go ahead and try again. I'll hold Mortius's reins and steady him."
 
Rufus was finally able to mount the chocobo with Tifa's help and he adjusted his body to get the right balance on top of the large bird. "So, how do you ride one of these things?"
 
"To move him forward you just kick him slightly with your feet. If you want to move in a direction, you just move your reigns to where you want to guide him. When you want to stop, just pull back on the reigns," Tifa said as she mounted her chocobo.
 
"That seems simple enough," Rufus replied as he kicked the chocobo lightly in the side.
 
Mortius didn't seem to pay any attention to Rufus's commands as the chocobo found a patch of grass that interested him and began munching away on the tall greens. Tifa was already moving toward Yuffie and looked back to see Rufus still trying to urge his chocobo on with gentle kicks to the side.
 
Tifa shook her head and smiled as she watched the man she knew as John struggle with the animal. Rufus turned to her and pleaded with his blue eyes for some remedy to the situation. Tifa sighed as she snapped her fingers and whistled for Mortius to follow.
 
Rufus watched as the chocobo's head shot up at Tifa's commands and gingerly quickened to a trot following Tifa and her chocobo. Rufus almost fell off the large bird again but held onto the chocobo's neck and slowly tried to regain his balance.
 
"This is a lot harder than it looks," Rufus said as he caught up with Tifa.
 
"You'll get the hang of it. But before we go, do you two have everything you need?"
 
"Yes, I'm ready," Rufus answered as he straightened the leather strap snapped to the Death Penalty.
 
Yuffie sat and counted the numerous balls of materia she kept in a leather pouch before answering. " . . . thirty-five, thirty-six, thirty-seven! Ok, I'm set!"
 
Tifa sighed as she shook her head. "Ok, let's go. We're going over to the Chocobo Ranch first to see if Chaos has been spotted there and then heading south toward Fort Condor."
 
Yuffie and Rufus both nodded their heads in acceptance and followed Tifa as she led her chocobo out of Kalm. Several children around the refugee camp stood along the city limits as they stared in awe at the large birds carrying the three AVALANCHE members away. After the images of the chocobos had faded off into the distance, the children ran back to the camp passing by Casey as he also stared off into the horizon.
 
"Good luck to ya boy. You're gonna need it," Casey said with a smile as he turned back toward the clinic.
 
(continued…)