Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Who's John ShinRa? ❯ Living on a Prayer ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 17: Living on a Prayer
 
The blare of an alarm clock thundered through the peaceful room as a woman's slender hand sluggishly reached out to hit the snooze button. It was six in the morning; time for Tina to wake-up and get ready for work. Normally, Tina wouldn't have a problem getting out of her warm bed and jumping into the shower, but this morning was different. Lying next to her with his arms wrapped in a loving caress was her soon-to-be husband, Michael.
 
Tina smiled as she watched his sleeping face through the dim light that seeped through the crack of her door. One of the first things she had to adjust to living in the underground city was reminding herself that she wasn't underneath the upper plates of Midgar anymore. She was accustomed to the darkness as were all the citizens of Midgar. But the darkness of the city sucked away all hope and that made her heartache for escape.
 
She missed the sunlight and hoped that they would be able to leave for the surface in a few days; if the surface was still there. Michael had reassured her that though Midgar was destroyed, nothing else on the planet was touched. She hoped that he was right. She hoped that one day she could wake-up to the sun's rays peaking through her curtains. It had always been her dream to live in the country and get married in a field of flowers: flowers like the one he brought back to her. She looked back down at Michael's sleeping face and smiled as she kissed him gently on his lips. I can't wait to get married to you. Tina Lynn always had a nice ring to it.
 
Tina threw back the covers and shivered as the cold air passed over her naked body. Throwing her legs over the side of the bed, she found Michael's arms still grabbing onto her waist. She tried to slide his hands off her body, but only found his grip tightening as he smiled in his sleep.
 
“Don't go.”
 
“Sorry honey, but I have to get ready for work.”
 
“No. No work. Stay,” Michael said childishly.
 
“Honey, you may have shore leave, but I don't,” Tina sweetly whispered.
 
Michael didn't loosen his grip on his fiancée's waist as he mumbled something incoherent before drifting back to sleep. Tina sighed as she again tried to pry his hands away from her body, but his grip was too strong for her to break. Looking over to Michael's serene face, she smirked as she thought of his one weakness. Quickly, her fingers pounced on his body as she began tickling him in as many places her small hands could travel.
 
Michael writhed in laughter as he released his hands from around Tina's waist to stop her onslaught of tickling. Tina took this golden opportunity to jump out of bed and sprint to the shower, giggling the entire way as she heard Michael trying to catch his breath.
 
He lay there panting as he heard the shower turn on and Tina softly hum a beautiful melody. Turning over, he read the large red numbers of the alarm clock and cursed as he threw the covers over his bare chest.
 
“I'm going to get you for that you know?” Michael yelled out towards the shower.
 
“Uh-huh, sure,” Tina's voice echoed back.
 
Michael wanted to get back to sleep, but Tina's sudden attack had jolted his muscles and he knew that it would take him a while to feel relaxed enough to let his senses drift. Right now all the noises and sounds seeping through the door along with the sound of the water running in the shower were the only things he could hear. He honed his acute hearing to the bathroom and raised his brows in a smirk as he heard the shower shut off and Tina's humming grow louder. Widening his eyes, he looked towards the bathroom hoping to catch a glimpse of Tina, but when she stepped out of the bathroom a light green towel hid all the delectable parts of her body.
 
Slamming his head down on the soft pillows in disappointment, Michael groaned as he stretched his arms over his head. A blanket of thick black hair entered his field of vision as Tina bent down to kiss him while he lay in bed.
 
“Get up sleepy head,” Tina cooed.
 
“But I want to watch you change,” Michael whined.
 
Tina smacked him playfully on the shoulders as she unwrapped the towel and threw it over Michael's head. He quickly removed the towel in time to see Tina in all her splendor and glory. Tina merely shook her head with a smile as she dressed and shuffled through the room for her supply of breakfast rations. She grabbed two rations and turned to throw one at Michael. Her face scrunched in disbelief as she saw the lecherous looks on his face as he caught the ration packet.
 
“You're such a pervert, you know that?”
 
“I am because you make me that way,” Michael said as he climbed out of bed and walked over to Tina to give her a kiss.
 
Tina leaned into the kiss, but quickly pulled back with a playful smile on her face, “Ew, you're stinky!”
 
“You didn't complain about that last night.”
 
“Shush, you. I'm going to be late if you keep this up.”
 
“Do you want to be late?” Michael smirked.
 
Tina smacked him on the arm with her breakfast ration before she walked over to the door with Michael in tow. She reached the door and turned around to envelope Michael in a deep passionate kiss. He was so transfixed on Tina's soft lips and sweet smells that he didn't notice it when she opened the door that led out to the main city.
 
Michael felt her disengage from the kiss and wave good-bye to him as behind her he could see people outside walking along the different levels to the city. His eyes widened in horror as he realized that he was standing in Tina's doorway stark naked. Michael cursed as he ran behind a wall and tried to cover his body with his hands.
 
“I love you honey,” Tina said sweetly.
 
“Love you too,” Michael replied as he sighed with relief after hearing the door close.
 
He shook his head with a wry smile as he let out a breath to fight the blush that was creeping up his face. He knew Tina had her mischievous side, but she was also the most caring and kind woman he had ever met. It was the ability to fall in love with both sides that helped him realize that she was the only one for him.
 
Michael looked over at the bed and thought about going back to sleep, but he knew that his mind was too alert for rest. His eyes then traveled to the bathroom where a nice hot shower awaited him. Raising his arms to smell his body, he shook his head as he walked toward the bathroom.
 
“I don't stink that much.”
 
Michael wasted no time in taking a quick shower and eating the breakfast ration that Tina had thrown at him. He hadn't been able to see Old Midgar's sites since he helped evacuate all the citizens underground. He knew from reading history books that the old capital had been the pinnacle of architecture in its time. The little that he was able to see greatly impressed him and the young Captain thought it would be a nice day to explore the city that was the ancient capital of his ancestors.
 
Walking out into Old Midgar in civilian clothing, Michael was amazed at the number of lights that illuminated the streets. It was reminiscent of the lower plates of Midgar where the only light came from street lamps. He didn't think that a city which hadn't been inhabited for over a hundred years would even be standing let along have a power source. But Midgar's engineers had three days to prepare for the evacuation and the Captain could see how their efforts had paid off.
 
Every level of the city had power and water along with the basic amenities. The main lights were centered on and around the town square where the houses and buildings seemed to cascade down towards the center like water flowing into a lake. Looking down from the third level where Tina's apartment stood, he saw a large crowd congregating around the town square and curiously walked over to see what the commotion was about. As he drew closer, he could see hordes of people with bags and backpacks slung over their shoulders. They were all lining up for some huge event that Michael didn't know about.
 
He walked over to a solider who was trying to keep people in line, “Hey buddy, what's going on?”
 
“Didn't you hear the announcement last night? A ShinRa solider should have knocked on everyone's door?”
 
Michael blushed as he remembered that he and Tina were otherwise occupied at the time and probably couldn't hear anyone with all the noise they were making.
 
“Uh, no sorry. I must have been busy at the time.”
 
The solider merely rolled his eyes, “Well, if you heard the announcement, President Anderson is allowing any capable body to leave Old Midgar using the escape ladder leading to the surface. From there people have the option of either going to Junon via the Highwind or hiking towards Kalm.”
 
“Oh, really? Good to know,” Michael said as he scanned his eyes over the crowd of people. “Looks like you guys got a nice turn out too.”
 
“Look, either get in line or scram cause I've got work to do and no time to talk to dumbasses,” the solider snapped.
 
Michael raised his hands up defensively as he backed away calmly, “Sorry buddy. Just trying to figure out what's going on, that's all.”
 
The solider snorted in reply and ignored Michael as he walked away with a smirk on his face. Michael knew he could have easily put the solider in his place, but the poor guy probably didn't even know that he was talking back to one of his superiors. Unfortunately for the solider, Michael remembered reading his nameplate. Private R. Clark, probably with the 20th division. Well, well Mr. Clark, you've certainly made an impression on me. I'm going to keep my eyes on you so you better be on your best behavior.
 
The off-duty Captain walked alongside the line to see how many people were leaving. Most of them were teenagers or young couples carrying all their worldly possessions on their backs. He knew that if he wasn't working in the ShinRa army and if Tina weren't a nurse, they would be one of those young couples waiting in line to begin a new life.
 
They all had hope etched on their faces: hope that they could find a better life outside the broken city of Midgar. He knew that they had lost everything because of Meteor. There was no mistaking the fact that everyone suffered, but despite all the pain they still wanted to survive. Pain and hope; two different feelings that shared an odd relationship with each other, but co-existed in the minds of all the survivors.
 
Near the front of the line a small commotion was erupting as the loud shrieking of voices could be heard echoing through the town square. Curious, Michael sauntered over to where the screeching originated and watched passively as a middle-aged woman and her adult son were arguing with Eric Rivers.
 
“I demand that my son and I get on the Manifest to Junon. It's preposterous how we have to ride a separate airship,” the woman squealed.
 
“Ma'am, the Manifest is reserved solely for military personnel. All civilians are required to board the Highwind if they want to be transported to Junon,” Eric tried to reason.
 
“This is ridiculous, you would never treat me and my son this way if you knew who we really were. I could have your career completely ruined if you don't put my son and I on the Manifest.”
 
“I've already told you both. No civilians are boarding the same airship as President Anderson. We're trying to provide the best security for his safety and allowing civilians on board the ship will only jeopardize that.”
 
“Your job will be the only thing in jeopardy if you don't let us aboard,” the woman seethed.
 
“Mother, that's enough. As you see the man is clearly just doing his job,” the woman's son finally spoke out.
 
“Nicholas, I'm only thinking of what's best for you.”
 
“I know, but that's enough,” the man's voice echoed, rivaling his mother's in assertiveness.
 
The older woman backed off and pert her lips in reluctant acceptance. A sigh could be heard through the crowd as the situation finally defused itself.
 
Nicholas turned to Eric as he bowed apologetically, “Please excuse my mother. She sometimes gets carried away with her words.”
 
“That's what mother's are for I suppose. But please proceed up the ladder towards the Highwind,” Eric replied.
 
Michael watched with interest as the pair made their way towards the ladder. He couldn't help but notice the strange smirk that the woman's son gave Eric as he walked past him. There was no doubt in his mind that the two were trouble, but he wasn't exactly sure what sort of trouble stirred inside their heads. Captain Michael Lynn had a strange feeling that his shore leave would be cut short.
 
* * *
 
As the morning sun warmed the cool earth and illuminated the crumbling city of Midgar, photographers and video cameras all beamed their flashes of light against the once grand infrastructure. The reporters had finally arrived. Like locusts, they swarmed the foot of Midgar hovering around the place after the immediate danger had cleared. News had traveled fast about Meteor's assault on Midgar, but no one knew if the city was safe and no one dared to find out until now.
 
For a majority of the world, citizens were grateful for surviving the onslaught, wanting to savor their second chance to live in this beautiful world. It was only after the celebration and rejoicing that people remembered not everyone was able to survive Meteor unscathed. The people began to demand coverage of Midgar and news of what may have happened to the city, to ShinRa, and to their future. As demands came in, the media stepped up and listened. Now they stand at the foot of destruction transmitting images of all the chaos and pain suffered from what was once deemed the capital of the world less than 72 hours since Meteor was stopped.
 
Soldiers and survivors all gazed at the cameras hoping that they captured a clear image of their face to be shown to the entire world that they were still alive. A handful of soldiers were lucky enough to be interviewed by the slew of reporters swarming the city. But all the camera lenses were mainly waiting for the appearance of one man: President Reeve Anderson.
 
One reporter patiently waited for the new President to make his appearance so she could ask the questions she had written on her notepad. Autumn Noval knew she was different from all the other reporters who were stationed around the city. She considered them novices in the journalism world, unable to figure out how to get a real scoop versus a typical story. Autumn knew that over half of the reporters were going to cover the progress of Midgar's recovery, a handful would ask about the mysterious deaths of many cloaked men and another handful would ask about AVALANCHE and their involvement with stopping Meteor.
 
She knew that all those stories were easy to cover but were also going to be overplayed. Every major news agency was going to report about Midgar's progress and the other two stories would probably get passing coverage, but those stories could be heard from any old network or any old newspaper that happened to send a field reporter out to Midgar. Autumn was going to ask the one question that no one bothered to ask, but everyone wanted to know: who is John ShinRa?
 
Autumn returned her attention to the path leading to the entrance of Old Midgar where gradually everyone was leaving the city. She frowned in disapproval of all the novice reporters who wasted their time interviewing the refugees that left the city. They didn't have the same patience she had as she waited for the sign that the man of the hour was about to appear. Her patience paid off as a number of ShinRa soldiers walked down the path deliberately and methodically in two lines.
 
In the center of the two lines was none other than President Reeve Anderson as many uniformed soldiers flanked his sides and a single disheveled Turk eyed the crowd suspiciously. All the reporters rushed in towards the President in a wave that was sent back by the fully armed and ready ShinRa soldiers. Autumn noticed the tired look in the President's eyes as he heard the barrage of questions being thrown in his direction.
 
The reporters maintained their verbal onslaught as the President continued to be escorted from the ruins of Midgar to the cargo bay of the Manifest where armed ShinRa soldiers stood shoulder-to-shoulder blocking any potential stowaways from trespassing. Everyone watched and suddenly became silent as President Anderson turned to the sea of reporters and held his head up high. Cameras were flashing constantly as everyone waited for what the President was about to say.
 
“I know all of you want to know what is going on and what ShinRa is doing to help remedy this situation. I can assure you that the citizens of Midgar are safe underground and there is no immediate danger to them. We are taking steps and measures to get everyone out safely. Right now I am relocating to Junon to work with the banks and military to keep the government running and discuss how to best allocate funds to survivors of Meteor. Because of the massive amount of work that still needs to be done, I'm not going to be answering any more questions right now, so if you'll please excuse me.”
 
The President slowly turned as more cameras flashed and several reporters turned back to their camera crew to relay their thoughts on his speech to the public. However, Autumn knew that things weren't over because a good reporter knows it's never over until you have your story. There were still a few other reporters trying to ask more questions, but their voices weren't strong enough to make it to the President's ears. Only one question stood out among the drabble of all the others and that was Autumn Noval's.
 
“Mister President. Who is John ShinRa?”
 
Autumn smiled as she saw President Anderson pause and slightly turn his head back as if considering her question.
 
“No comment.”
 
The reporters watched as the President continued on into the Manifest and the ShinRa soldiers pushed the crowd back so the airship could safely take-off. Few people really thought about the reaction and answer the President gave to the last question. But Autumn had her answer. Though the President never told her whom the mysterious John ShinRa was, she knew one thing and that he was important.
 
* * *
 
Elmyra Gainsborough busied herself in the kitchen as the remaining AVALANCHE members spoke with Thomas Wheeler about where to start digging in the Mythril Mines. The older woman tried to engross herself in the conversation, but found the topic to be rather droll for her tastes. She thought that the topic was mainly something that only interested men, but Cid's assistant Shera seemed to be actively engaged in the conversation that Elmyra felt out of place with the group.
 
Aeris had always told her that she was a bit too old fashioned, but those words had never been taken to heart until now. She missed having her adopted daughter say those words to her, even if they weren't the most endearing. What mattered was that they were spoken truthfully and from Aeris's mouth. Elmyra knew that Aeris was going to be a much better woman than she ever was; she didn't think that Aeris's greatest strength and gift to the world would ultimately call for her death.
 
Elmyra breathed deeply as she tried to stop the tears from streaming down her face again. She had cried herself to sleep for many nights after Reeve told her the news about her daughter's death. She didn't want to remind herself about how her heart still ached. Frustrated that cleaning hadn't taken her mind off of the low points in her life, she turned to the television to watch the morning news.
 
Most of the news covered the aftermath of Meteor's descent upon Midgar. The images shown on the television reminded her that AVALANCHE and ShinRa, Inc. had a daunting task ahead of them to restore order to the world. As she watched the images of Midgar, a small line of text ran across the bottom of the screen talking about a reported attack on Fort Condor by a large demonic creature. Elmyra wondered whether the creature was dangerous or not, but the text only mentioned that more information would be relayed shortly. She worried that the demonic creature mentioned was Vincent's transformation that Tifa told her about.
 
Before she had time to dwell on those thoughts, the news focused on the Mayor of Kalm as a camera crew showed the Mayor in Kalm's town square. “I have with me now Douglas Wildman, the Mayor of Kalm. Tell me Mayor Wildman, how has Meteor's impact on Midgar affected your city?”
 
“Well, a majority of our power came from Midgar's mako reactors so one of the biggest concerns was whether or not the reactors would be functioning after impact. I kept close contact with President Anderson regarding the power output and on his advice, increased activity in the old coal reactor. From my understanding, only two of the mako reactors are actually fully functional after Meteor's impact, but most of that power is needed for Midgar so reopening the coal reactors was a cautious, yet wise decision.
 
“Also, Kalm is seeing a large number of refugees coming into the city from Midgar and we are doing the best we can to make everyone who comes here as comfortable as possible. I'm sure you've seen the tents outside the city where the refugee camp is stationed and we anticipate more refugees as citizens are able to leave Midgar safely.
 
“How about the rumor that AVALANCHE and President Anderson are working together to dig the citizens of Midgar out of the rubble?”
 
“That's hardly a rumor since I can honestly confirm that it's true. I believe that they will be beginning work today on trying to dig some sort of tunnel to reach the citizens of Midgar. A ShinRa engineer and AVALANCHE are currently discussing the plans on where to begin digging as we speak and many of the fine citizens of this town are more than prepared to assist in any way possible.”
 
“Thank you for your time Mayor Wildman. I'm sure the citizens of Midgar are grateful for your kindness.”
 
Elmyra smiled as she heard the news about how her friends were being praised for their efforts in Kalm. There were so many people who were willing to help. Yesterday's town square meeting was a great success for AVALANCHE in gathering volunteers. There had been so many experienced miners in Kalm that she forgot the city used to be a mining town. Everyone seemed to have their place in helping with the recovery effort. The older woman questioned what sort of role she had in helping the reconstruction of Midgar and the world.
 
The news broadcast shifted its attention to another segment that talked about Old Midgar. This peaked Elmyra's interest as she's only heard about the ancient city that she lived overtop of for many years. The older woman quickly checked to make sure that the main group was still engrossed in their conversation before tuning her attention to the television.
 
“And here we have a special guest from Junon University's History Department, Professor Maechen. Professor Maechen, thank you for speaking with us today.”
 
“The pleasure is all mine. I take it that you would like to hear a story?”
 
“Yes, I'm sure that the history of Old Midgar is quite interesting to myself and our viewers.”
 
“Ah, yes. Old Midgar. Over five hundred years ago, Midgar was once a city that was built along with the land. You see, Midgar was a city that was built in a deep valley with houses rising up along the earth making levels and levels of the city. It was a very prosperous city where the lowest level of the city collected all the rain and supplied the people with water.
 
“The lands around the city were also green and flush with life. It was the capital of agriculture and trade. There wasn't a single person who couldn't find anything they wanted in Midgar. The city's technology was top notch as it was the first city to have plumbing and any large power source to keep the city running.
 
“Because of this growing popularity, the city could no longer accommodate the number of people who wanted to move to the city. More and more people wanted to live in the city and as more people came, the demand for power increased. The valley was only so large and they could only supply only so much power and land they realized the city needed to expand, but the question was how was it going to expand?
 
“A successful merchant spotted the problem with the city and decided to call upon the help of an engineering prodigy who discovered the natural energy source called mako while on an adventure with a group of companions. With the financial support of the merchant, the young prodigy designed a city that would rise upwards towards the heavens and be powered by an almost unlimited supply of mako energy. Deciding that building overtop the old city was the best option to retain the current residents of Midgar while building more housing for newer ones, the two began the work on building the city that became the Midgar we all know of today.
 
“As the new Midgar was being built, more and more residents of the old city moved to the newly built city as sections of it were completed. It appeared that no one wanted to be left behind in the old city while a new capital was being born. In time, the lower plates for Midgar were finished and hardly anyone was left living in the old city. Eventually, people forgot about the old city as they relished in the new power source called mako. It took nearly 50 years to complete the lower plates, but the young engineer was able to see the beginnings of New Midgar and the birth of mako power. And that is as they say is that.”
 
“Thank you for that enlightening bit of information about Old Midgar. Are there any more important points about the city that you think the viewers would be interested in?”
 
Elmyra waited patiently as she stared at the older man with the long white beard and glasses. He didn't seem to have heard the question as she saw the reporter shift uncomfortably and smile awkwardly at the camera. Soon the soft noise of snoring filled the airwaves as the professor had nodded off shortly after finishing his long lecture.
 
“Well, I think it's time for a commercial break. We'll have more about the progress in Midgar as well as some enlightening history from Professor Maechen after the break. In the meantime, we ask that all your prayers go out to the citizens of Midgar who are still trapped underneath the city.”
 
Elmyra couldn't help but laugh at the slight spectacle she saw. The history of Old Midgar was interesting to hear, but she was glad that she wasn't the only one who felt like they were being lulled to sleep by the old man's soft and gentle voice.
 
She turned her attention away from the television in time to see everyone at the table begin to rise.
 
“Barret, are you all finished with your meeting?”
 
“Yep. We've got everything now. Jus' gotta get the men. Hope it's no trouble watchin' Marlene,” the large man asked gently.
 
“Not a problem at all. Marlene is a dear. Is there anything else you all will need?”
 
“No, I think we should be okay. Thank you so much for your hospitality,” Thomas politely said as he rolled up the blueprints.
 
“Shera, stay here and help out,” Cid said brusquely.
 
“But Captain, I haven't finished the modifications for the new digging invention we were working on.”
 
“You wha--,” Cid nearly exploded, but calmed down after Nanaki glared at the pilot with a feral growl. “I mean, you can finish up the modifications, then once you're done, I want you back up here with Ms. Gainsborough.”
 
“Yes, sir. But, what do you want me to do when I'm here?”
 
Cid began to open his mouth, but shut it as if he was rethinking what he was about to say. Elmyra couldn't help but notice how his eyes softened as if he was about to tell her that he didn't want her to be in harms way. But she had heard enough about the macho pilot to know that it would be a cold day in hell before he was going to admit his softer side.
 
“Shera, I just want you to help Elmyra here in case she needs anything and the only other thing I want you to do is to hope and pray,” Cid said in an uncharacteristic display of gentleness.
 
Shera merely nodded and smiled as she readjusted her glasses. “I understand.”
 
Elmyra also understood what Cid meant. She knew that there wasn't anything that she could do politically or physically to help Midgar. But she could at least instill some hope in the trapped citizens and the workers who were going to risk their lives to dig them out that there were people who cared. The only thing she could do was hope and pray for their safety and remind them that there was someone at home who worried about them and was waiting for their return home.
 
* * *
 
Melissa Anderson had always considered herself a patient woman. She knew that painting required that virtue as each brush stroke had to be purposeful. She even developed patience throughout her life in taking care of her daughter as well as putting up with her husband, which certainly tested her patience. However, today she found herself fidgeting uncontrollably as she anxiously waiting for the Manifest to arrive in Junon.
 
She glanced around the room and tried to occupy her mind with a distraction from tapping her foot on the floor, looking at her watch and looking out the window for any sight of the airship. Her daughter Sara was playing with one of the Turks, Rude. It looked like Sara had broken Kate Sith and the Turk was helping her fix the toy.
 
Melissa smiled as she watched her daughter ask the Turk repeated questions about what he was doing and what the various parts of the toy's mechanisms were as he answered each of her questions while continuing to work. The bald man was displaying acts of compassion that she didn't think Turks possessed, but then she had never met any Turks until yesterday when they saved her from a would-be assassin.
 
Her eyes wandered over to where the other Turk was stationed as she sat at a desk with a laptop. Melissa wasn't sure what the woman was doing, but she knew that the female Turk kept her eyes busy as she would repeatedly look from the laptop to the door and back again. If Melissa didn't know any better, she would have sworn that the woman shared the same nervous anxiety that she harbored. It was amazing how people who are supposed to be cold-blooded killers were mainly average people, only difference was that they had blue suits and guns.
 
Pacing around the room a few times, Melissa returned to the window and stared out onto the blue ocean. She couldn't see the airstrip where the Manifest would be landing, but she hoped that if she looked out the window, she could catch a glimpse of the airship as it came into Junon. She knew that Reeve was safe since the leader of the Turks was at his side protecting him, but she needed to see him to give her heart that assurance.
 
She didn't even know what she was going to say to him when he finally got back. She wanted to wrap her arms around him tightly and tell him how much she missed him, but she also didn't want to come racing back into his arms after suggesting that they separate. Melissa frowned because though she knew she was a patient woman, she was also stubborn. It was her stubbornness to keep Sara from the dangers of living in a large urbanized city that strained their marriage.
 
Reeve had always supported her artistic lifestyle and she had been by his side when he had to work those long nights for ShinRa, Inc. But having kids can completely change everything and they did. Priorities shifted and tempers grew short as the long nights working overtime became what Melissa thought were his excuses to retard their family life. She knew that he couldn't change his work schedule and had to do what his employers asked of him, but Melissa was too stubborn and that is what caused her to move to Costa Del Sol with her daughter away from the husband she loved and away from the busy life that kept him away from her.
 
Now after a year away from him and a year in the peaceful life she wasn't sure if Reeve was the same man she fell in love with many years ago. She didn't know what to do when she finally saw him again and how her heart would feel. Melissa ruefully hoped Reeve was going through the same emotional dilemma she was; but she wasn't sure if after the year apart from each other he still loved her.
 
Melissa held her hand to her chest as she ran her fingers over the smooth surface of her wedding band. She had been wearing it around her neck since their separation and almost forgot what it looked like. Quickly unclasping her necklace, she let the chain dangle in front of her while she let her eyes scan the ring. There were a few nicks and scratches on the band, but it still had retained its beauty. On the inside of the band she read the inscription she and Reeve decided to etch into both of their wedding bands: Always and forever.
 
She closed her eyes as she thought about how they've both betrayed those words through their separation. Reeve, please find it in your heart to forgive me. Melissa removed the ring from the gold chain and squeezed it onto her left ring finger where she inspected it in the sunlight like a newly blessed bride. The ring still fit and it felt right having it there. She smiled as she put the gold chain back around her neck and hoped that her reunion with Reeve was going to be a happy one.
 
The sudden whir of an airship's engine sang through her ears as she put her hands to the window like an anxious child. Along the horizon she could faintly spot the Manifest coming closer to the airstrip. Melissa smiled and breathed a deep sigh of relief as she wrung her hands in nervous anticipation. Reeve was finally here.
 
Elena also heard the arrival of the Manifest and she found herself looking out with the same anxiety as Melissa after blotting to the window from her desk. The two women were oblivious to the gaze of the bald Turk who merely shook his head in mild amusement as he returned his attention to helping Sara with Kate Sith.
 
“Are they finally here?” Melissa asked, noticing the female Turk beside her.
 
“I think so. Let me check.”
 
Elena quickly pulled out her PHS and quickly dialed Reno's number. She tried to hide her giddy excitement as she listened to each ring of the phone. The Turk had to bite her lip in order to keep herself from shouting gleefully into the phone once he heard the distinguished sound of Reno's voice on the other line.
 
“Reno here.”
 
“Reno, is the President secure?”
 
“Yep, El Presidente is safe, can't say much for his shoe soles though. He's been pacing around like a roadrunner with diarrhea.”
 
Elena stifled a giggle and heard Melissa laugh as Reno spoke loud enough for both women to hear. “How long do you think it'll take for you both to get here?”
 
“Depends on where here is. We're landing right now so if you're talking about meeting us at the old pub, then I'd say five minutes.”
 
“We're not meeting you for drinks Reno. We're in the Presidential Office.”
 
“Oh, you mean we have to go back and do work. Shit, I thought we were coming here for the booze. But I'd say it'll . . . .”
 
“It'll what Reno?” Elena asked smartly.
 
“Shit! Code Red!” Reno's voice said in a panic as the sudden sound of guns being fired drowned out the rest of what the Turk was saying.
 
Elena knew that Code Red meant there was an assassin in the area and Reeve's life was in danger. She hoped that Reeve's wife hadn't heard the gunshots on the other line, but the pale look on the woman's face told Elena that it was too late: she had heard and she knew that Reeve was in danger.
 
Before Elena even had time to explain what was going on, Melissa ran for the door and sprinted through the halls. She had heard the gunshots through Elena's PHS and knew that those guns were firing at one person and one person only: her husband. Melissa blindly ran around Junon's base mainly following the rush of guards. She knew that she might not make it in time, but she had to be there and see for her own eyes if Reeve was alive.
 
Melissa turned a corner and gasped as she saw a light at the end of the hall and military medics quickly rushing to the aide of someone on the ground. She tried to lunge toward the fallen body to get a closer look, but someone held her back grabbing onto her waist as she franticly struggled against the man. Tears streamed down her face as she tried to catch a glimpse of who the man on the ground was, what he was wearing or anything that would give her some clue as to whether or not it was Reeve.
 
The only thing she could see were the medics working on him as they tried to revive the man. Blood was everywhere and soldiers were still running around in a panic. She saw the red-hair of Reno shooting through the crowd as he yelled something to several soldiers who then surrounded her and the man who was holding her back.
 
“Let go! I have to know if he's still alive!”
 
The man didn't listen to her as he merely held her tighter. The wall of soldiers prevented her from seeing what was going on and there was too much noise from the bustle of people to hear what the medics were saying. She needed to know, had to know if the man on the ground was Reeve.
 
Suddenly two of the soldiers stepped back as Reno walked through the blockade of men and stared at her. The cold blue-eyes of the Turk only looked at her for a second before his eyes moved upward and said two words that stung at her heart:
 
“He's dead.”
(continued…)