Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Who's John ShinRa? ❯ The Witching Hour ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 23: The Witching Hour
 
The moon dimly lit the ground as only a thin sliver of silver shined in the night sky. Ralph Clark stared at the small curved silver light smiling back at him as he smoked a cigarette. He had the night watch tonight and it was a quiet, peaceful and boring night. Just the type of night he hoped to have.
 
Ralph would rather be watching the back of his eyelids right now, but instead he was standing on top of what was once the First Bank of Midgar and keeping an eye out for anyone suspicious. Unfortunately, Ralph never took his job seriously. The only thing occupying his mind right now was blowing smoke out of his mouth and watching it dissipate into the sky.
 
Were he more alert, he probably would have sensed someone creeping up along the rubble of Midgar. He probably would have also heard the soft breathing of someone sneaking up behind him. But then Angel did take her job seriously and she was being very careful. Even if Ralph had been alert, there was nothing he could have done to stop her from twisting his head sharply until there was a sickening snap.
 
Angel dragged the dead man's body behind some rubble as she quickly undid his uniform. Ralph was a short man, but luckily for Angel, he was her height. The blue uniform fit snuggly and Angel quickly tucked all her auburn hair underneath the large helmet. Smoothing out the wrinkles, she polished the brass nameplate with the words “R. Clark” and stood admiring her new apparel. After dumping some rubble on top of the dead man's body, Angel took a deep breath and stood up tall as she walked towards the entrance to Old Midgar.
 
Two soldiers stood at the entrance chatting while they held rifles in ready position. She silently listened as the pair talked about something she wasn't familiar with.
 
“Did you hear from Pete about how that creature killed all those monsters in the Kalm Plains?”
 
“Yeah, I did. Kinda creeps you out knowing that thing is still around. Makes me hate guard duty at night.”
 
“Yeah, I know what you mean. I just hope that damn thing is on the other side of the world right now.”
 
Angel controlled her breathing as she walked towards the guards. They hardly gave her a second look after seeing her quickly salute in her stolen ShinRa uniform. She smirked as she walked past the two and stared down the elevator shaft that seemed to descend to the center of the planet. The only things that would get her down the shaft were a crane that had no one operating it and a rusty ladder attached to the side of the shaft. Shaking off her fears, she made her way down the ladder hoping she didn't raise any suspicions with the two other soldiers. She could still hear the two men chatting as she made her way down and breathed a sigh of relief.
 
Angel descended down the ladder for what seemed like an eternity as she finally planted both of her feet on the ground. The sights and sounds of the underground city reminded her of the slums in Midgar, but much darker. The streets and sidewalks were still busy with people even the in late hours of the night. Thousands of buildings lined the walls in a spiraling vortex that made her head spin. Walking through the crowds Angel felt like she had walked back in time to the days when Old Midgar used to be the center of civilization.
 
She noticed a group of miners digging a large hole in the wall in the Southwest corner of the city. Street lamps where glowing with light and everything looked like a normal city that had been running for years. As she stood in the center of the city, she looked up and gaped at how the large metal ceiling was the only thing standing between all of these people and tons of debris.
 
Standing around she was lucky that no one really paid any attention to her, though she did notice the large number of ShinRa soldiers patrolling the area. Angel knew that if she walked around with authority, no one would question her. Only one man who was wearing civilian clothing seemed to stare at her with piqued interest, but she brushed him off thinking that he was just another typical male trying to ask her out on a date. Everything was going according to her plans. She had overcome the hardest obstacle and found a way inside of Old Midgar. Now all she needed to do was locate her targets and eliminate them.
 
 
* * *
 
 
The bonfire burned brightly as Elly stared into its inviting flames. Her mother stood protectively beside her as she wept along with the many other residents of Fort Condor. They were all in mourning. It provided little comfort knowing that the creature that had murdered many of the men in the Fort was still out there alive. The rag-tag group of bikers that had driven to Fort Condor in a drunken battered mess were hardly what the elders would call suitable protectors.
 
But the Fort was in need and it was better to have the large cursing men on their side rather than against them. Fort Condor couldn't afford to sustain another attack from Chaos without someone who was willing to fight. The group of bikers seemed less than enthusiastic about staying to fight off some flying monster than they were to drink the Fort's supply of alcohol and eat their food. But the elders were willing to tolerate some things in these desperate times.
 
Elly rubbed her eyes as she mourned the death of her father. There were over thirty men who lost their lives that morning. Her father was the first victim. The baby condor slept soundly in her arms as she stroked its soft feathers. She protectively held the baby condor closer to her arms as one of the bikers walked lazily past her. The large man yawned as he scratched his arm underneath a red band and hobbled through the crowds. She didn't trust any of these men, especially their leader who was talking loudly with a few of his buddies. Elly could practically hear everything the man was saying.
 
“I can't believe that we let those three get the best of us. We're better than that. We're Red Riders,” the dirty-blonde said as he downed a beer.
 
“Nah, don't you worry Jagger. They just got us on a bad day, ya know.”
 
“Bad day or not, I think that stupid punk who gave me the bloody nose was that dipshit kid I used to know back in the day. He was the kid who gave me this,” Jagger pointed to the scar on his chin.
 
“You mean that skinny-ass punk back there gave you that? No way! I don't believe it man,” the man named Shorty shook his head in disbelief.
 
“Well believe it cause he did. It was a long time ago when I was only fifteen. The kid who gave me this scar was just lucky.”
 
“Kinda like those three today, huh? They were just lucky.”
 
“Yeah, they were lucky. But I know that the guy was little Johnny from the slums. Remember? He was that snot who had a whore of a mother. You know, how he was able to give me the scar?”
 
“No, how?”
 
“Well let me tell you Shorty. He sucker punched me and then kicked me in the chin. That punk's damn shoes cut me,” Jagger said bitterly.
 
“That kid sucker punched you?”
 
“Yeah, he was whining about his mama dying or some shit like that. He was the type of kid that I beat up all the time in the slums. Never gave me a problem. But that day when I came up to him to pound on him like I usually did, he actually fought back,” Jagger took a swig of his beer.
 
“But, you were stronger than him, so it was no big deal, right?”
 
“Yeah, I was stronger. I could hit harder and that's all that mattered. But for whatever reason, the kid fought back and fought back hard. He was swinging at me like a maniac. I didn't think that a guy that small had so much in him. I was still on top in the fight, but then the punk landed a sucker punch to my gut and then kicked me in the face.”
 
“But you came back and beat him to a pulp afterwards, right?” Shorty asked.
 
“No, I never got the chance. The damn bastard ran away leaving me with a bloody chin. Damn coward. I tried to find him, but I never saw him again until now. I will tell you though Shorty, when I do get my hands on him, I'm going to do more than just give him a scar on his chin. He's going to get his pretty little face smashed in real good,” Jagger smirked.
 
“Yeah, that's the spirit!” Shorty cheered as he raised his glass of beer.
 
The thunderous cheer of the Red Riders stung in Elly's ears as she watched them drink near the bonfire. She wished that AVALANCHE were here to protect them and not the inconsiderate drunkards who were here now. She wanted to be stronger so she could protect the Fort from any monsters. She remembered how strong the members of AVALANCHE were and their nobility. Elly swore to herself that someday she would be as strong as the members of AVALANCHE and she would protect Fort Condor. The burning fire of the bonfire crackled and popped as if in agreement with the young girl's vow as the departing spirits of those who died today smiled and gave their blessings to the young girl with the iron will.
 
 
* * *
 
 
The light drone of florescent lights were the only sounds that were keeping him company. Melissa and Sara were asleep in the Presidential Suite and he hadn't gotten any reports in the last hour that were pressing. Then night was rather peaceful despite the last few weeks. Reeve sighed as he watched the multiple colors of the city bend and flex as the waves washed by. His life was in a constant state of motion; bending and flexing like the waves.
 
Life as the President of ShinRa was no easy task and Reeve hoped that there was someone out there who could lead the company after he left. He was going to keep his promise to Melissa, because the world didn't matter if she and Sara weren't a part of his family.
 
A light knock on the door awakened him from his silent reverie.
 
“Come in.”
 
“Excuse me Mr. President. Is it alright if I have a word with you?” General Matthews saluted as he walked into the office.
 
“Sure. Please, have a seat,” Reeve gestured to the chair. “What brings you here at this late hour?”
 
“I have a concern that I wished to voice to you Mr. President,” the older man said formally.
 
“Go ahead.”
 
“Well, I wanted to let you know that I trust the Turks report that Rufus ShinRa will eventually return to claim his office, but I wanted to express my personal opinion regarding Mr. ShinRa's Presidency.” General Matthews sighed as he picked a piece of lint off of his uniform before continuing. “I do not think that Rufus ShinRa is fit to be the President of this company and should not be allowed to return to office.”
 
Reeve stood shocked at what General Matthews was insinuating.
 
“And who do you suggest take the role of President after Rufus ShinRa returns?”
 
“Honestly, I think you should do it Sir.”
 
Reeve's heart plummeted as he heard the General's words. He knew that the General meant well in what he suggested, but Reeve wasn't sure if he had the heart to remain President. All he wanted was his family, nothing else.
 
“I'll . . . I'll have to think about it. I was hoping that Rufus ShinRa would take over after he returned. I really wasn't expecting to stay as the President, now that my family is here. What makes you think that Rufus is unfit?”
 
General Matthews shifted in his chair as he struggled for the right words.
 
“To be blunt, I don't trust him.”
 
“Don't trust him?” Reeve asked bewildered.
 
“Yes. For the short time I was able to serve under Rufus, he had these odd moments where some days he would act like a perfect gentleman, and others he would be a ruthless tyrant. I know now that it was because Rufus had a body-double. My problem with this is that I don't know which one was the real Rufus ShinRa. I don't know if the man whose birthright is to be the President of ShinRa is a homicidal maniac or a man perfectly capable of doing his job. For all I know the body-double was the gentleman. I just can't trust ShinRa in the hands of another maniac.”
 
“I understand your concerns. Unfortunately, I don't know what Rufus is really like. I could never tell him apart from his body-double, only the Turks seemed to be able to do that. But I think I know what you mean when you're talking about the drastic personality change. They really were two different people, despite appearances,” Reeve said.
 
“Do you think I'm overreacting then?”
 
“No, hardly. Though I think we should give Rufus a chance. Just to find out whether or not he truly is fit to be President.”
 
“What if he's not fit?” General Matthews asked seriously.
 
“Then I'm sure AVALANCHE would help us convince him otherwise,” Reeve laughed.
 
“Thank you Mr. President.”
 
“No, thank you for voicing your concerns. I'm glad we can be so candid with each other. And I'm glad that you trust me,” Reeve smiled.
 
“You're an honest man Mr. President. ShinRa needs someone like you to pull them through these tough times,” General Matthews smiled as he stood up. “Now if you'll excuse me, it is late and I need to turn in for the night. Good night Mr. President.”
 
“Good night, General Matthews,” Reeve watched the man salute.
 
Reeve smiled silently to himself as he tried to stifle the yawn about to escape his lips. Looking out into the ocean, the waters seemed calmer as the lights wavered in the rippling waters. He silently left his office and walked down the halls where ShinRa soldiers lined the walls. They each stood at attention and saluted as he walked past. Two heavily armed soldiers guarded the doors to the Presidential Suite and Reeve gave them both an appreciative look as they let him through. His family was safer than they have ever been in their entire lives and he had Reno to thank for that.
 
As he walked into the bedroom relief flooded his senses as all the anxiety of the day melted from his body. His wife and daughter were soundly sleeping in the large king-sized bed, both with peaceful looks on their faces. It was so tempting to crawl straight into bed in his business suit. His body yearned for the soft feel of the bed and fluffy pillow.
 
He could spare a few minutes to change into something more comfortable. Reeve searched the room to find the bathroom and to his surprise, saw a neatly folded pair of pajamas waiting for him. He wasn't sure if this was Junon's hospitality or Melissa's kindness. Either was fine with him at this moment in time. The soft cotton of the fabric felt like a breath of fresh air from his stiff business suit.
 
“Reeve, did you find your PJs?” A tired voice whispered behind him.
 
“Oh, Mel. Sorry, did I wake you?” Reeve turned around startled.
 
Melissa shook her head with a smile. “I was waiting for you.”
 
“I didn't mean to keep you waiting.”
 
“It's alright. I didn't mind.”
 
The pair crept silently back into the master bedroom, trying not to wake their daughter asleep on the bed.
 
Reeve hesitated as he approached the bed. Nervously, he eyed the long sofa only a few feet away.
 
“I can take the couch tonight.”
 
Melissa shook her head as she tugged at Reeve's arm.
 
“You need a good night's sleep. Just come to bed.”
 
“But I don't want to impose, I mean . . .” Reeve blushed as he remembered the passionate kiss they shared earlier in the day.
 
“You'll be asleep once your head hits the pillow. Don't worry,” Melissa finally dragged her bashful husband into the bed.
 
“But, I,” Reeve started to protest, but couldn't.
 
The warm comfort of the bed beckoned to him. The soft feel of the sheets and pillow were so relaxing that he was barely conscious when Melissa gave him a goodnight kiss. She was right. He did fall asleep once his head hit the pillow. And it was the most peaceful sleep that Reeve had ever had in years.
 
Elsewhere in Junon, the florescent lights buzzed with life over the cobblestone streets. They flickered on and off as people drowned themselves in booze and liquor. Cigarette smoke hung heavy in the air like a dense fog. Motel rooms were packed to the brim with bodies. Some of them were silent as their occupants slept soundly while most shook with the throes of midnight passions. Room 307 in the White Roof Inn was no exception.
 
“So are you always that rough with your women?” the strawberry blonde-haired woman asked as she blew a puff of smoke out of her scarlet lips.
 
“Only when I'm provoked,” Reno flicked a bit of ash into an ashtray placed snuggly against tangled sheets and sweaty bodies. He stretched his arms, careful not to reopen the long red scratches along his back.
 
“Sorry about that. I just can't help myself I guess,” she giggled. “But it looks like you want something more from me; something I haven't given you yet.”
 
Reno smirked as took a quick drag from his cigarette. “You're a smart girl.”
 
“Only to the customers who care,” the girl winked.
 
“What can you tell me about the people who were on the Highwind?”
 
The blonde flicked the extra ashes into the ashtray before answering, “Most of the people there were all fobs. They didn't know a thing about living outside of Midgar. There were all crying mothers, babies and even grown men crying in the corner. It wasn't bad at first, until the Highwind got far enough off the ground that you could really see what happened to Midgar,” she paused a bit as her expression softened. “I think I almost cried too after seeing what was left of my hometown.”
 
Reno sat closer to her and rubbed her arms to comfort her. He didn't want her to have an emotional breakdown before she could tell him everything he needed. The girl gave Reno a faint smile in appreciation as she rubbed her eyes and took a deep breath.
 
“There wasn't much of a crowd there. The only other people who really didn't seem to give a shit were other girls like me and a few drunken idiots. Are you looking for a drunken idiot?”
 
Reno shook his head as he blew some smoke out of his nose.
 
“Hm, didn't think so. What about two fobs? There was some bitchy mother and her snot-nosed son who both looked like they'd never left the upper plates in their life, but were more than happy to leave that hellhole.”
 
“Go on,” Reno gently rubbed her shoulders.
 
“Oh, just a little lower,” she moaned. “Yeah, that's it. It looks like you hit my sweet spot and I hit yours. So you want to know more about the bitch and the brat?”
 
“You got it,” Reno said as he rubbed his hands over that soft spot of her while she sighed underneath his gentle palpitations.
 
“Oh, you're good. The son is probably about his mid-twenties. Short blonde-hair, dark eyes. Not bad looking really. Though I personally would have liked to take his pompous attitude and shove it up his ass. Of course, the mother was no better. She looked like she was dressed like some matron of a high society club,” she snorted. “Honestly though, she used to be a common prostitute. I could tell.”
 
“Really? How could you tell?”
 
“It was in the way she carried herself. No self-respecting woman of the upper plates would walk into a room expecting men to look at her like a piece of meat. Especially someone her age.”
 
She could feel Reno shudder as he paused in his seductive massage.
 
“Don't worry; it doesn't look like she's seen any customers in a long time. Though I'm not sure how she got as well off as she is. I think it probably has something to do with getting knocked up by some well-known celebrity who gave her hush money to keep quiet about who the father was. It happens all the time in Midgar.”
 
“Sounds like my kinda girl. Not that I'm into old women or anything.”
 
“Of course you're not,” she winked. “But the last I saw them was somewhere along 25th street. After that, I couldn't hear that old bitch whining anymore so I assume that that they stopped around there. Is that enough information for you?”
 
“I guess it is, though my body's aching for something more,” Reno smirked.
 
“Don't you have somewhere to be now that you've gotten what you wanted out of me?”
 
“Who said that I got everything I wanted?” Reno began biting her ear.
 
“You didn't pay for a Round 5 ya know?” she said playfully as she blew a ring of smoke into his face.
 
“Oh, I'm hurt babe.”
 
“I guess I can make an exception for you. Though I doubt you'll remember me in the morning.”
 
“What makes you say that?”
 
“Of all the hours you've been fucking me, you've never once asked for my name. Though I will say, whoever this Elena woman is, she'll be really happy once you finally get in the sack with her.”
 
Reno didn't say anything as he stared out the window with a serious look on his face. He took one last drag off of his cigarette before extinguishing it with a pensive sigh. “She wouldn't be interested in me. Sorry if I offended ya. If it makes ya feel better, what is your name?”
 
“Does it matter?” she said huskily as she kissed him deeply and prepared for Round 5.
 
* * *
 
 
The quiet beaches of Costa Del Sol were cooling as the sun set in the west. It was an ideal night for lovers to stroll on the beach and watch the sky illuminate in bright oranges and reds. The resort town promised a romantic sunset every night and tonight was no exception. The silent steps of numerous couples were scattered throughout the town like shining stars. Amongst those couples, two friends and comrades stood at the end of the shoreline and threw stones in the water while their star slowly grew brighter and brighter.
 
“I can't believe that Yuffie snuck a guy into her room. It's so weird. I know she's old enough to do that sort of thing. I feel like I should stop her, but another part of me also feels sort of . . . proud. I'm not making any sense, aren't I?” Tifa laughed.
 
“Not really. But you've known Yuffie a lot longer than I have. Maybe it has something to do with that. Are you two close?” Rufus asked as he threw a rock into the crashing waves.
 
“I guess you could say that. Yuffie was the only one I could feel comfortable talking to about different things. She wasn't as good at giving me advice as Aer--, well, someone else. But she was always willing to listen. We'd sometimes stay up late talking about things that only girls talk about,” Tifa grunted as she threw a rock a little bit further than Rufus had.
 
Rufus raised his brow a bit and whistled.
 
“Nice throw. I guess I'm going to have to step up to the plate a bit.” Rufus tossed a rock in his hand to feel the weight. “So what sort of things do girls talk about?”
 
Tifa watched the rock sail over the waters and splash a bit further than where she had thrown it. “I'm not telling you that! That's why they call it girl-talk. By the way, that was a good one John.”
 
“Thanks! I will say though, I don't think I'll ever understand women,” Rufus smiled.
 
“Hey, we're not exotic creatures or anything. We just do and see things differently,” Tifa picked up a big rock.
 
“Yes, I guess. At least you understand what Yuffie's doing. Probably from personal experience I'm gathering?” Rufus teased.
 
Tifa's eyes widened as she hurled the rock towards the horizon. It fell pathetically short of all the earlier marks. Tifa pursed her lips in irritation as she shook her head and picked up another rock.
 
“Guess I'm still the leader,” Rufus smiled.
 
“Hah! We'll see how long you can keep your lead Mr. `Prince of the pocket-lint' Woolfe,” Tifa pointed her finger mockingly at him. “And just so you know, I never snuck any boys into my room when I was a teenager and I never have either.”
 
“I'm sure you haven't Ms. `Queen of the unusual nicknames' Lockheart,” Rufus smirked as he watched her throw another rock with all her might.
 
Her next throw was more successful as it landed a few inches further than Rufus's throw. Tifa turned with a smile and put her hands on her hips proudly.
 
“Try and beat that!”
 
Rufus shook his head and picked up a rock as he silently admired Tifa in the fleeting rays of sunlight.
 
“I guess you leave me with no choice Tifa. I'm going to have to pull out the big guns,” Rufus said as he rolled up his sleeves.
 
“Oh, I'm so scared,” Tifa feigned, flailing her arms dramatically.
 
Rufus ignored her comments and he tried to remember Tseng's training from when he was a teenager. The rock was about the same weight of the grenades that Tseng used to train him with and he knew that he could throw one well over the distance Tifa had thrown. Focusing his strength, Rufus wound back and threw the rock with all his might as he let out a gasping breath.
 
The rock sailed through the air gracefully as it plopped into the ocean, several feet ahead of Tifa's last mark. Rufus smiled proudly as he shook his arm out. He turned to a wide-eyed Tifa who nodded her head in approval over his great rock-throwing skills. She knew that she couldn't beat him now. That last throw was far past her throwing range and much further than she could picture anyone throwing.
 
“That's really good John. Hey, you're probably even better than Cid, and he has a really good arm,” Tifa smiled.
 
“I used to practice when I was a younger.”
 
“It shows. Oh, by the way,” Tifa smiled widely.
 
“Yes,” Rufus barely spoke before Tifa punched him in the stomach.
 
He was gasping for air as he fell on his hands and knees. Holy shit! What the hell was that for?
 
“That was for making me miss one of my throws and making fun of me,” Tifa huffed.
 
“Sorry,” Rufus gasped.
 
“Apology accepted,” Tifa smiled as she held her hand out to help him up.
 
“I really will never understand women,” Rufus coughed as he felt himself lifted back onto his feet.
 
“If it makes you feel any better, I'll never understand men. They're all so simpleminded.”
 
“Oh, that makes me feel so much better,” Rufus said sarcastically. “First you punch me in the gut then you tease me about my intelligence.”
 
“Well, you're not like most men,” Tifa said before she spun around and walked towards the villa.
 
“Oh, what am I like then?” Rufus asked curiously as he followed her.
 
“Well . . . you're nice.”
 
“I'm nice?” Rufus chuckled, wondering if she would say the same thing if she knew his true identity. “What else?”
 
“Well,” Tifa laughed. “Sometimes you say and do some very wise and mature things, while other times you act totally clueless.”
 
“Hey, I can't help it if no one ever taught me how to ride a chocobo until now.”
 
“That's okay. Honestly, I never learned until we started tracking Sephiroth,” Tifa smiled.
 
“Really?” Rufus looked surprised. “It doesn't look like it.”
 
“Well, it's true,” Tifa said as she put her finger to her lips and pointed at the villa door.
 
They had reached the small villa that Rufus's real estate agent had sold to them. Rufus hoped that Yuffie had finished her fun with her friend, if she wasn't completely embarrassed that he and Tifa had walked in on her, but then again, she had been too busy to notice them. He certainly didn't want to find himself in another awkward situation like that tonight.
 
Tifa slowly opened the door and peered into the darkness, making sure the coast was clear. Nothing was out of the ordinary. The furniture was where it was supposed to be and there weren't any clothes lying in heaps on the floor. Tifa assumed that Yuffie had taken her friend out of the villa. Breathing a sigh of relief, she opened the door the rest of the way.
 
“I think Yuffie's out on the town,” Tifa sighed as she turned on the lights.
 
Rufus winced as the lights came on, almost expecting to see Yuffie entangled in a lip-lock with some unknown boy. He relaxed as he saw that nothing was out of place and there was no Yuffie or unnamed boy in the room. Everything looked neat and tidy. He visibly relaxed as he shut the door behind him.
 
“At least they took it somewhere else.”
 
“Yes, thankfully,” Tifa yawned. “Well, there's only one bed in this villa, so . . . is it alright if you take the couch?”
 
“Yeah, I'll be fine,” Rufus smiled, trying not to think too hard about what he saw Yuffie doing on it earlier.
 
“Thanks, let me get a pillow and some blankets for you,” Tifa walked towards the linen closet.
 
It took only a few minutes for her to make a quick bed out of the couch as the soft blankets patiently awaited Rufus. He sat down on the couch and sighed as he relaxed under the soft cushions.
 
“This is so nice. Thanks for making the couch for me Tifa.”
 
“Not a problem. Well goodnight,” Tifa waved before heading to the master bedroom.
 
“Night!” Rufus waved back.
 
Tifa reached for the doorknob and turned it, only to find it locked. Trying again, she let out a breath of frustration and knocked on the door.
 
“Yuffie, it's me, Tifa.”
 
There was a slight rustle behind the door. Tifa waited for a few seconds before knocking again.
 
“Yuffie, please open the door.”
 
“I guess she's asleep,” Rufus said as he watched from the couch.
 
“Yeah, I guess,” Tifa sighed before she heard a murmur from behind the door. “Wait, I think she's waking up.”
 
Pushing her ear to the door, she listened to the hushed voices in the bedroom.
 
“Damnit, what am I going to do?” Yuffie whispered.
 
“Just ignore her. She'll go away eventually,” an unfamiliar masculine voice groaned back.
 
Tifa jumped back away from the door and stared at it uneasily. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. Her face flushed red as she backed way from the door nervously.
 
“What's wrong?” Rufus asked.
 
Tifa nearly jumped out of her skin when she heard him.
 
“Oh, um . . . nothing really. Well, er, yeah. I guess we came back at a bad time,” Tifa stuttered.
 
Rufus looked at her curiously before looking at the door and widening his eyes. He mouthed in a silent `Oh,' as he understood what Tifa was talking about. He stood up and pushed the coffee table off into the corner of the room.
 
“What are you doing?”
 
“Oh, just making some room on the floor. I don't think you're going to be able to get in there for a while,” Rufus pointed to the bedroom door.
 
Tifa just blushed and nodded politely.
 
“Here, you take the couch, I'll sleep on the floor,” Rufus said as he sat down on the floor.
 
“Are you sure?”
 
Rufus nodded and smiled, “Yeah. After all, you said I was nice, so it's only in my nature to offer a lady a more comfortable place to sleep.”
 
“Thanks John. Let me at least give you the blanket and pillow,” Tifa threw the items on the floor. “I'd make you a bed again, but I'm dead tired right now.”
 
“I think I can make do with what I have. Night Tifa, sweet dreams,” Rufus clumsily tossed the blanket over him.
 
“Good night John,” Tifa yawned. “Thanks and sleep well.”
 
Rufus smiled as he watched her curl up into a tight ball on the couch. She really had been tired as Tifa practically fell asleep as soon as her head hit the soft cushions. She looked so content lying there, but something was missing. Rufus stared at his blanket for a few seconds before he sat up and wrapped the blanket around Tifa's body. She may not have been cold, but it would be better for her to have a warm blanket around her just in case. Satisfied, he stole one last glance at Tifa before his body slipped slowly into the oblivion of sleep.
 
* * *
 
Claudia was drunk. Not only was she drunk, she was piss-ass drunk. She along with a few of her friends sat on the grassy plains outside of Costa Del Sol. A small fire warmed her bikini-clad body. Her wrist and shoulder were still sore from her earlier encounter with Tifa, but that's what the alcohol was there for: to dull the pain.
 
Chugging down another beer, she tried in vain to erase her memories from earlier today. Humiliated. Embarrassed. Mocked. The list went on and on of all the horrible feelings she felt. And so she drank and drank hoping that she could drink herself into a mindless stupor, which she was getting close to doing.
 
The night sky was always more beautiful and sparkled brighter when heavily inebriated. Claudia could swear that at times the stars would sing to her. But that might have been the ringing in her ears. Either way, it didn't matter to her. She was drinking in the sights of the night as well as her friend's supply of beer. Nothing could be better.
 
As she watched the night sky, she saw a large yellow blur flying across the sky. Blinking, Claudia squinted her eyes to try and get a better view of the thing. It looked like a yellow chocobo was flying through the sky with big black bat-like wings. Claudia rubbed her eyes and stared again, still seeing the chocobo with black wings flying through the sky. Claudia wasn't really smart, but she knew that chocobos didn't fly or have black wings. She didn't think she had any hallucinogens tonight, but she was so drunk that she forgot half of the night already. Dismissing the thought, she held her bottle up high and toasted the strange flying chocobo before chugging the remaining beer. Claudia was still conscious and that meant she needed to drink some more. The next morning Claudia wouldn't remember the flying chocobo, but there was indeed a flying chocobo that night. And she was right, chocobos don't fly.
 
 
* * *
 
 
The fireflies danced in streaks of light around Wutai as the countries top officials were busy discussing the future of their country in the pagoda. Lord Godo sat stiffly at the head of the table, acutely aware that it had been years since he took seat in his honorary position as the Emperor of Wutai. Stealing a glance to his left, he gazed sadly at the empty seat reserved for the Empress of Wutai. Mariko.
 
Godo's sadness over his dead wife was quickly replaced with worry over his daughter Yuffie. He had not heard from her since AVALANCHE had successfully destroyed Meteor. To say he was proud was an understatement. He wished nothing more than to embrace his daughter and tell her the many honorable things she had done for her country. You blessed us with a wonderful daughter Mariko. You would be proud of her. However, all his mixture of worry and happiness for his daughter was overshadowed by his current predicament: the future of Wutai.
 
“What news do you have Staniv?” Godo asked one of his advisors.
 
“We have heard reports that AVALANCHE is in Kalm helping to free the citizens out of Midgar, but we have not confirmed whether the young princess is there or not. Though, we have heard that there were sightings of her after Meteor was destroyed, so I do believe she survived if that gives you any consolation.”
 
“Yes it does. Thank you Staniv,” Godo released a heavy sigh. “What other business do we have to tend to?”
 
“If I may Lord Godo,” Chekhov bowed. “We've been getting requests from the ShinRa officials in Midgar and Junon to aide them in the recovery efforts of the Midgar area. It seems they need resources to help with the housing of refugees and any other aide we can provide. I suggest trying our best to help the Western Continent to show the world that Wutai is a sympathetic country.”
 
“I disagree my lord,” Gorki stood up. “I don't think we should help the company that started a pointless war with us only years ago. They deserved what they got and we should let them suffer to their own fates.”
 
“Gorki, how could you be so cold?” Chekhov protested.
 
“Well, where was ShinRa when we were trying to rebuild after war? You know just as well as I do that all they cared about was harvesting the mako on our lands. After they took everything that they could, they just left us with to pick up the broken pieces that they left behind! How could you forget what they did to our country?” Gorki fumed.
 
“I didn't forget. I'm just compassionate enough to forgive,” Chekhov shot back.
 
“Would you two quit it! You're yapping like a bunch of dogs. We can't figure out what to do with Wutai if you two just argue the entire night.” Shake said as he stared at the two adults defiantly.
 
Chekhov and Gorki both slunk down in their seats ashamed that they had been admonished by none other than a young boy. Before anyone else had a chance to speak, one of the servants of the pagoda entered the room carrying a phone.
 
“Lord Godo, a gentleman who says he is a part of the ShinRa-King Organization wishes to speak to you.”
 
“ShinRa, that can only mean they want more aide,” Gorki scoffed.
 
“Silence Gorki,” Godo warned. “I will take their call.”
 
The servant obediently bowed as he left the phone before the Emperor.
 
“This is Godo Kisaragi speaking.”
 
“Emperor Kisaragi, I'm honored to be finally speaking to you. I'm the head of the ShinRa-King Organization.”
 
“And what may your name be?”
 
“That's not important at the moment. I'd rather we discuss the business that I called you for.”
 
“Natives of Wutai usually find it extremely rude to discuss business first before giving out one's name.”
 
“Ah, that may be your custom, but I think these are desperate times and in desperate times, we need to get to the point rather than to dilly dally in custom and traditions.”
 
Godo was tempted to hang up on the man, but years of raising Yuffie had taught him some patience. “Very well, what is your point then?”
 
“I need your help Emperor Kisaragi. I need you and your country to help the ShinRa-King Organization.”
 
“I've had representatives calling me asking for aide to help Midgar. I already told them that Wutai sends their condolences, but can not spare any money at this time.”
 
“I'm not asking for money from you, just manpower and support.”
 
“What exactly are your proposing?”
 
“I want ShinRa and I need your help to claim it. They're at their weakest right now and with your help, if we were to challenge their authority, ShinRa would crumble and I will take it over. After I come to power, you will be rewarded for your allegiance and then Wutai will no longer be afraid of not having enough money. So, do we have a deal?”
 
“I'll have to discuss this with my advisors.”
 
“Understandable. Your servant should have my number. Call me once you've decided. I'm sure we can work together for the future of Wutai and ShinRa. Good night Emperor Kisaragi.”
 
“Yes, good night,” Godo sighed as he let his servant take the phone.
 
Godo sat silent as he pondered the situation. This was the perfect opportunity for Wutai to strike against ShinRa. He knew the company would never be as weak as it was now. But could he ally himself with an unknown person who only wanted to take over ShinRa? Was it in Wutai's best interests to start another war before the scars of the past war have healed?
 
“My lord, what did they want?” Staniv asked.
 
Godo sighed as he looked over the faces of all his advisors. He couldn't decide this alone. “Staniv, Chekhov, Gorki, and Shake. We must come to an agreement about Wutai's fate. This is what I learned over the phone . . .”
 
 
 
Chapter 23: Omake Scene (because Cid and Barret are too funny to forget)
 
“So I tell the bartender, `Whaddya mean I can't drink no more booze!' Then I grabbed the closest bottle on the counter and chugged it all down slamming it on the counter to prove a point. But you know what?” Cid chuckled.
 
“What?” Barret asked intrigued.
 
“Turns out the bottle was nothing but mineral water and I drank it all thinking it was hard liquor!” Cid burst out laughing.
 
“Highwind, you're a real trip!” Barret laughed as they both stumbled into the clinic.
 
“Hey nurse, ya got two injured men over here. Can we get some treatment?” Cid bellowed oblivious to the sleeping patient on the couch or anyone else for that matter. Shera tried in vain to keep him quiet, but she knew that Cid Highwind and silence were like oil and water; they just don't mix.
 
Donna was busy taking someone's blood pressure as the loquacious pair burst into the clinic. She hated it when a patient thought that they were supposed to be treated first and foremost and now she had two idiot patients barging through the door. But Donna always knew how to handle these types.
 
“Okay, you two. Just head down to Examination Room 2. It's the first door on your right,” Donna said in the sickliest sweet voice she could muster.
 
She watched carefully as the two men were guided by a mousy woman into the examination room. Donna quickly wrapped up the test of her patient and collected herself before heading into the lion's den.
 
“Barbara, I'm going to be a while,” Donna told the receptionist.
 
“Don't be too rough on them,” Barbara joked.
 
“Only as rough as they get.”
 
“You know that those two helped saved the planet, don't ya?” Casey suddenly spoke from his prone position on the couch.
 
“Ya think I care? Besides, I thought you were trying to help us out, not sleeping on the couch like some bum,” Donna shot back.
 
“I'm an old man Donna, I need to take my nap,” Casey chuckled.
 
“Just don't be taking your nap when a real emergency comes our way,” Donna shook her finger at him before walking toward Examination Room 2.
 
“Aw, gimme a break Barret. Just because your ass is so fat doesn't mean I can't sit on the examination table,” Cid grumbled as he sat in a stiff hardwood chair.
 
“Sure, whatever man. This comin' from the man who said `Don't worry Shera, I'll just slap some mud on that wound and be good to go.' Hmphf! Whatever man, whatever,” Barret said safely from the padded exam table.
 
The pair barely registered the knock on the door as a heavy-set nurse walked into the room with a fake smiled plastered on her face.
 
“Why hello gentlemen! What can I do for you today?” Donna asked.
 
“Well that fathead over there punched me in the shoulder, see? Man, look at that nasty bruise. And . . .”
 
“Dun' you go tellin' no lies Highwind! You threw a damn grenade at me!”
 
“I wouldn't be one to complain about lying, unless you don't count that one huge lie you told me, Wallace!”
 
The two grown-up men argued relentlessly as Shera walked over to the nurse looking apologetic for her companion's behaviors.
 
“Um, Ma'am? Cid injured his right shoulder and Barret has a burn on his left arm. They're not really serious, but I don't want the injuries to get infected or anything . . . so, um,” Shera tried to talk over the two men shouting in the background.
 
“Don't you worry about a thing honey. Ole' Donna's gonna take real good care of these boys,” Donna said as she guided Shera out the door.
 
The nurse instantly dropped her smile as soon as the door shut and she turned around to see Cid and Barret throwing insult after insult at each other. She cleared her throat a few times with no success before walking over to the pair and smacking them both upside the head with a wooden clipboard.
 
“OW! What the fuck was that for?” Cid whined.
 
“That was for not shutting your big mouth up,” Donna berated.
 
“He started it,” Barret pointed fingers.
 
Donna hit Barret again as she waved her fingers in his face, “Don't you point fingers like that again. I don't care who started it, but both of you are gonna act like adults around here, Understand?”
 
“Whoa, who hired Dr. Jekyll and Ms. Bitchy?” Cid grumbled.
 
“What did you say?” Donna threatened with the clipboard.
 
“Oh, nothing Ma'am!” Cid quickly sputtered.
 
Donna only glared at Cid as she took out two sealed packages from the nearby counter. “Any of ya'll allergic to penicillin?”
 
“Don't think so,” Barret mused while Cid only shrugged.
 
“Well, we'll just have to take the chance with you two,” Donna deftly unwrapped the two syringes and stuck both Cid and Barret at the same time.
 
“Damn woman! Are ya trying to kill me?” Cid rubbed his arm where Donna had injected the antibiotics.
 
“Stop being a pussy, I thought you were tougher than that,” Barret laughed.
 
“Well I didn't exactly see you toughing it up like a man. You scream like a little girl,” Cid smirked.
 
Barret grumbled as he nursed his arm and bruised pride. He later had to nurse his throbbing head as Donna smacked him and Cid again for their little outburst.
 
“I thought nurses and doctors were supposed to treat their patients, not beat them dumb,” Cid rubbed the sore spot on his head.
 
“Well you two ain't typical patients. Names?” Donna asked.
 
“Huh?” Barret looked stupefied.
 
“Ya got a name, don't ya?” Donna looked at Barret with disinterest and hardly any compassion.
 
“Don't mind Barret, he's a little slow if you know what I mean,” Cid tapped his head. “I'm Cid Highwind. Born February 22, 281 A.S. (After Spira) somewhere near Costa Del Sol and Rocket Town. I'm 5'8” and last time I weighted myself, I was 195 lbs. That all you need?”
 
“That's good enough for now,” Donna scribbled all the information down. “How about you?”
 
“My name's Barret Wallace. Born December 15, 277 A.S. in Corel Village. I'm--” Barret was interrupted by a hard smack to the head courtesy of Donna.
 
“Don't you lie to me boy!” Donna fumed.
 
“Lie? What would I be lying about? Do you know what I'm lying about Highwind?”
 
Cid only shook his head and shrugged his shoulders as he kept himself away from Donna's fury.
 
“There ain't no Wallaces from Corel Village. The place was burnt to the ground years ago and I ain't heard of any Wallaces surviving,” Donna spat as she started to tear up.
 
“There was one Wallace who survived. No one really knew about it, but I was that Wallace and I am who I am,” Barret said softly.
 
“You're . . . you're really Barret Wallace?” Donna asked hopefully.
 
Barret nodded.
 
“Little Bear? Is it really you?”
 
“Auntie Donna?” Barret asked, finally recognizing the older woman.
 
“Oh my Little Bear is still alive!” Donna squealed with delight as she embraced Barret with as much vigor as she could muster.
 
“Auntie Donna! It's so good to see you! It's been too long,” Barret returned the hug with equal strength.
 
Cid stared at the duo with wide-eyes. Little Bear? Auntie Donna?
 
“Here, let me take a good look at you,” Donna absorbed all the features of her nephew noting how big he had gotten as well as his gun-arm. “Was that from the fire?”
 
“Yeah, my arm got shot up real good. Had to replace it,” Barret rubbed the cold metal.
 
“So there ain't nothing else wrong with you `cept that arm?” Donna carefully inspected her nephew.
 
“Nope,” Barret said proudly
 
“Good,” Donna sighed before smacking Barret in the back of the head with her clipboard. “Why couldn't you have called or something! All those years I thought you were dead!”
 
“Sorry, I kinda forgot,” Barret winced.
 
“Ha! Little Bear forgot to tell his Auntie Donna he was safe,” Cid laughed heartily, which caused Donna to smack Cid across the head again in response. “Hey! What was that for?”
 
“That was for making fun of my nephew now sit down and shut up!”
 
Cid grumbled as he slunk lower in his chair, “better not get brain damage or anything from this.”
 
“I heard that! And I doubt anything could crack that thick skull of yours,” Donna said to Cid before turning her attention back to Barret. “And you! If you do somethin' like that again, I'm going to whoop your behind so hard, it's gonna catch on fire! Do you understand?”
 
“Yes ma'am,” both Cid and Barret replied, fearing the wraith of the older woman.
 
“Good. Now look at you two. It looks like you hadn't eaten in days,” Donna said boisterously.
 
Donna had completely changed her personality from short-tempered abuser to kindly old woman. Cid and Barret exchanged worried glances as their minds blanked on how they should respond.
 
“I can get off of work and whip up a nice dinner for you all. And you can even bring over that sweet little thang you got out there,” Donna said to Cid.
 
“Sweet little thang? You mean Shera?” Cid asked confused.
 
“Yeah, bring her along. I'll be sure to make some food for all of ya'll,” Donna gushed.
 
Cid and Barret sighed as they let the woman chat about all the food she was going to make for them. They knew that they were in for a very long evening and there was no way they would be able to back out of it.
 
“Barret, this is all your fault ya know.”
 
“Yeah, I know Cid. I know.”
 
(continued…)