Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Who's John ShinRa? ❯ Last of Our Kind ( Chapter 25 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 25: Last of our Kind
 
Nanaki tried his best to ignore the loud sounds of miners working in the caves. After getting permission from Mr. Wheeler to explore the mountains, he didn't hesitate to search the area for answers to questions that were tickling his brain. He focused his senses and sniffed the ground as he hopped higher and higher along the cliffs. Something bothered him about these mountains. It was something he had sensed when he had gone through the Mythral Mines with Cloud, Tifa, Barret and Aeris many weeks ago. That was when Sephiroth had impaled a Midgar Zolem onto a dead tree. The skeletal remains of the Zolem were still wrapped around the tall tree, a reminder of the destructive power Sephiroth held.
 
His stomach quivered with apprehension as he walked through the jagged rocks. It was the same eerie feeling he had in the past walking through here the first time. That feeling came back to him yesterday as it prickled at his ears like dust particles dancing in the wind. The pin-prickles were trying to tell him something, something that Nanaki wasn't sure if it was impending doom or something that he was supposed to be led to. Right now those feelings were luring him to the rocky mountains alongside Midgar and Nanaki was following.
 
He was several hundred yards away from the mines as the sounds of the miners were faintly clattering in the distance. He could hear mice scurrying and birds chirping steadily as nature's echoes grew louder. Sniffing the air, there was something he smelled that reminded him of something from his memories: a smell of a faint perfume or a flower's scent. Nanaki couldn't pinpoint it, but memories of his mother surfaced as nostalgia almost made him miss the sound of tiny pebbles shifting in the rocks above him.
 
Quickly springing back on his hind-legs, Nanaki jumped high up into the air and landed on a rock hoping to surprise whatever creature was spying on him. What he saw left him speechless as before him stood a creature that looked like his mother. Blinking, the image of his mother disappeared and was replaced by another creature who was just as enchanting. She had amber eyes and a dark-red mane like the color of the dust in Cosmo Canyon. Her sleek brown fur was shiny and smooth like silk with the faintest traces of scars showing him that she was a seasoned warrior. By human standards, they would probably look at her and think that she could tear them limb from limb, which may have been true, but to Nanaki, she was beautiful.
 
Unfortunately, his minor delay gave the female enough time to spring forward at him in a quick lunge. Her fierce jaws tried to snap down at his neck. Nanaki did his best to defend against her attacks without hurting her, but she was a formidable warrior. However, she had never fought against the most powerful enemies on the planet. She had never fought against a Weapon or Sephiroth. She had never fought with the knowledge that losing would mean the end of the world. She lost the minute she tried to attack Nanaki.
 
Deftly, Nanaki lept up and bounced off the edge of one of the rocks to propel himself downwards. Using his momentum, he was able to knock the female over and pin her to the ground as she growled in frustration. He studied her reaction carefully as her eyes shone with fury. That fury would soon be replaced with shock and surprise as she slowly processed what she saw.
 
“You're, one of us! Who . . . who are you?” the female asked.
 
“I'm Nanaki, son of Seto from Cosmo Canyon,” Nanaki said as he let her loose. “Who are you?”
 
The female kept her defenses up as she cautiously sat up. “I'm Kaya, daughter of Sersa. My mother was from Cosmo Canyon. What are you doing here? I saw you with the humans.”
 
“So you were the one I sensed yesterday,” Nanaki smiled.
 
“Yes, that was me. I was afraid to approach you because you were surrounded by all those men. I thought that they had captured you and were making you their slave.”
 
“Slave? No, I'm not with them as a slave. I'm there to help them as a friend.”
 
Kaya looked confused as she looked at Nanaki suspiciously. “So the humans aren't down there to enslave you or torture you?”
 
“No,” Nanaki said gently to try and reassure her.
 
“But my mother Sersa told me that humans were evil. That they kidnapped young babies and torture them for their twisted experiments,” Kaya almost whispered.
 
Nanaki took a deep breath as he remembered the horrible experiments he was subjected to from Hojo, “It is true that there are some humans who will do those things. I should know. But not all humans are bad. I have made many good friends among these humans, some that I would trust with my life.”
 
Kaya swallowed deeply as she saw the various scars on Nanaki's body. The scar over his left eye was not made by claw marks and there were scars that were too clean to have been caused by fighting monsters. The dark tattoo of the number 13 also didn't go unnoticed. “I'm . . . I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend. I just . . . I'm sorry,” Kaya bowed her head low in shame. “But how do I know I can trust you? You may be a spy sent by the humans.”
 
“I assure you that I'm not a spy. I am a guardian of Cosmo Canyon and all residents of the Canyon are under my protection: even you.”
 
“But, how can I be under your protection when I've never been to Cosmo Canyon?” Kaya said somewhat sadly as her eyes shone with nostalgia for her mother's birthplace.
 
“You said your mother was from Cosmo Canyon, so it's your birthright to be a resident. That should be enough to earn my protection.”
 
“So . . . you will protect me just on the fact that my mother was from Cosmo Canyon? Even though you know nothing about me or I you?” Kaya asked skeptically as she studied Nanaki's face.
 
“Yes, I will,” Nanaki answered sincerely.
 
There was a long pause before Kaya's eyes warmed and she answered, “I don't sense any ill-will at all from you. You have a very kind heart Nanaki, son of Seto. If you truly are the protector of Cosmo Canyon, then I trust you.”
 
“I'm glad that I've earned your trust so quickly. Your mother must have taught you the ways and codes of Cosmo Canyon well. Which reminds me, why are you and your mother out here on the Eastern Continent?”
 
“Because . . . because, she ran away from Cosmo Canyon before I was born,” Kaya answered with a bit of shame. “But I'm certain she had her reasons. My mother is a very wise woman.”
 
“May I meet your mother?”
 
Kaya looked at Nanaki, uncertain whether or not she should give into his request. He certainly looked honest and spoke with sincerity, but she didn't want to do anything that would upset her mother. “You may follow me, but let me approach my mother first. I don't know how she will take to strangers.”
 
“I understand,” Nanaki bowed.
 
The pair leapt from rock to rock with ease as they made their way through the jagged cliffs. Nanaki studied Kaya carefully as his curiosity finally caved in since talking to her.
 
“Kaya, I've been wondering. You've mentioned your mother, but I haven't heard anything about your father. Why is that?” Nanaki asked innocently.
 
Kaya stopped in her tracks as she looked at Nanaki sadly, “My mother never tells me anything about him. She says that it is better off that I not know who my father was.”
 
“I'm sorry.”
 
“It's alright. I've gotten used to it. After all, it's only been myself and my mother out here.”
 
“How long have you been here?”
 
“42 years, as long as I've been born into this world. Um, how old are you?”
 
“Only 48. Not that much older than you.”
 
Kaya looked somewhat relieved at his answer. “Do you have any brothers or sisters? What about your parents?” Kaya asked with interest.
 
“I have no one else,” Nanaki replied sadly. “Until now, I thought I was the only one of my kind alive.”
 
“You mean, we're the only ones left?” Kaya stood shocked. “Mother always told me that Cosmo Canyon was filled with more creatures like me. She said that someday I could go there and find where I belong. What happened? Did my mother lie to me?”
 
“No, she didn't. Cosmo Canyon was once filled with many of our kind. But it's a long story that I'll tell you when we get to your mother.”
 
They finally reached a partially concealed cave in one of the most treacherous parts of the mountain. It would have been nearly impossible for a man to climb up to this cave or even see it from above since the jagged rocks practically hid the mouth of the cave. Kaya motioned for Nanaki to wait outside while she entered. He only had to wait a few minutes before Kaya returned indicating that he was welcome.
 
As Nanaki entered the cave, he could see many pillars of light from holes in the cave's exterior. The beams illuminated the dark cave and gave it a majestic look. Seated in the back of the cave was an older female who looked ragged and weary with age. Her once fiery fur was now a dull red. Her eyes were glossed over as if she was reflecting on the past in a meditative state. Two distinct bite marks could be seen on her hind legs as pus oozed out of the makeshift bandages of grass and mud. Nanaki stared at the wound and quickly realized that Sersa had been poisoned by a Midgar Zolem. Without even thinking, Nanaki quickly cast a spell to reverse the poison. Green light filled the cave.
 
“What's going on?” Kaya panicked, never having seen materia in use before.
 
“Calm down Kaya, he's only healing my wounds,” the matriarch finally spoke. She turned her attention to Nanaki before speaking, “They certainly have neglected to teach the younger generation about greeting their elders haven't they Nanaki, son of Seto?”
 
Nanaki shied away from Sersa's gaze, knowing that he reacted too quickly in healing her wounds before even introducing himself. “I apologize. I only reacted on instinct. Please forgive my intrusion.”
 
Sersa studied Nanaki intensely while Kaya looked between the both of them with confusion. Her wound hurt less thanks to Nanaki, but even the strongest of magic wasn't going to prevent the poison from killing her. If her daughter Kaya had met Nanaki a week ago, then the spell would have completely cured her, but now it was too late and Sersa knew it. “Your apology is accepted. Though I fear that your kindhearted deed will do me no good. The poison is in my blood.”
 
“I'm sorry to hear that. I hoped that your wound wasn't too old and the spell would work.”
 
Kaya's face darkened with sorrow after hearing that her mother was still going to die. She had heard that there were people who could use magic to help others and part of the reason why she was straying further from the cave was to find someone who could save her mother, but now that she found them, it was already too late. “So there's nothing you can do to heal her?”
 
Nanaki shook his head sadly.
 
“Don't fret Kaya. I accepted my death long ago. It was only a matter of time,” Sersa said to try and reassure her daughter. “But let's not dwell on my health. I want to hear more from our guest. So Nanaki, what brings you to the Eastern Continent and how is the tribe?”
 
Nanaki paused before he answered, knowing that Sersa would not like what he was about to tell her. “How I got to the Eastern Continent is a long story that I'll tell you later. Right now it's important to tell you about the tribe. Kaya told me that you haven't been back to Cosmo Canyon since you left. A lot has happened in the time you were gone.”
 
Sersa sensed the sadness in his voice and dug her nails into the floor. She nodded to Nanaki urging him to continue.
 
“Over forty years ago, the Gi tribe attacked Cosmo Canyon. Our kind fought bravely to defend the Canyon and we were able to defeat the Gi, but at a high price. Practically all of our kind were either killed or mortally wounded by the Gi. I was spared because I was only a cub at the time, but I lost my mother and my father was turned into stone by the Gi's poison arrows. The few who were still alive swore vengeance and left to destroy the remaining Gi. They never returned. Until this day, I thought I was the last of our kind.”
 
Sersa wept as she heard the news. She had friends and family who would probably be alive today if it wasn't for her mistake. Kaya worriedly nuzzled up to her mother whispering soft words into her ear.
 
“I'm sorry to be the bearer of such bad news,” Nanaki bowed his head.
 
“You only told me the truth. And I thank you for letting me know what happened to Cosmo Canyon. It seems the curse is true,” Sersa said sadly.
 
“Curse?” Nanaki perked his ears up in curiosity. “What curse?”
 
Sersa took a deep breath as she closed her eyes in thought. “Kaya, please sit with Nanaki as I tell you two about the `Curse of the Guado.'”
 
Kaya obediently obeyed as she had never heard her mother tell her this story. Lying on their stomachs, the pair watched Sersa attentively as she opened her eyes and gazed at them quietly.
 
“It happened a long, long time ago. So long that those who tell the story have forgotten how long ago it was. Back then, our kind used to be called the Ronso Tribe. We had the ability to walk like the humans do and had horns on our heads symbolizing our strength. The Ronso used to live on top of a tall snowy mountain and had fur the color of ice. The mountain was their protector. The mountain could keep their enemies away from them and it could freeze them; they revered it and feared it. However, as the mountain did its best to protect the Ronso, there was one threat so powerful it could do nothing to stop him.
 
“A lone male from the Guado Tribe climbed the mountain with the intentions of harming a priestess of the land. He thought he was a god. The Ronso Tribe swore to protect the priestess and many of them were murdered by the man. Eventually the man was destroyed, but the hatred that many Ronso had over the massacre still lingered. They blamed the Guado. The Ronso were torn over whether they should rise up and destroy the Guado or leave them alone. The Guado were remorseful for what happened to the Ronso, but that wasn't enough to quench their hatred. The Ronso elder and the priestess they had saved tried to convince them that peace was the only way, but not everyone listened.
 
“In the end the hatred festered and dug deep into the hearts of the younger, stronger Ronso as they decided to exterminate the Guado Tribe. They attacked the Guado destroying their homes and killing everyone in sight. Though most of the Guado resigned to their deaths, a few fought back, but it wasn't enough. It was a massacre. Eventually some time passed and the massacre was almost forgotten, but the souls of the Guado did not forget.
 
“It was rumored that before the Guado were killed, a few of them put a curse on the Ronso saying that eventually their tribe would be annihilated for what they did. Most didn't believe the curse, but over the years, they started to. One day unexpectedly, the mountain that protected the Ronso exploded raining down fire and death. The mountain was angry with the Ronso. Many died as the home that helped protect them became their destruction.
 
“There were survivors and those remaining Ronso fled the mountain fearing that the mountain was punishing them for destroying the Guado. The Ronso now needed to find a new home, and so they walked. The Ronso walked and walked for miles upon miles until their feet were tired and they had to use their hands to help drag them along. The Ronso wandered for years walking on both their hands and feet until eventually they had forgotten how to stand and lost their ability to walk with the humans.
 
“After wandering for some years, the Ronso found another mountain to live in. This mountain was red like the sun and warmed their tired bodies. But the Ronso's ice-like fur stood out amongst the red rocks. So the Ronso decided to dig caves to hide in. But the mountain's walls were very hard and the Ronso could not dig the rock with their hands, so they used their horns to break the rock. The digging was difficult and many horns would break or shatter into tiny pieces as the Ronso dug with their horns. Finally the Ronso were able to complete all the caves to hide in, but at a price. After all the digging was over, there were no more Ronso with horns, and so the Ronso gained a new home but at the cost of their horns of strength.
 
“As the Ronso settled into the caves, many Ronso found that the red dust of the rocks helped cover their bluish fur and turned it red like the mountain. Soon, the Ronso all covered themselves in the dust of the mountain and concealed their blue fur. The Ronso also spent more time underneath the scorching sun, something they were once protected from by their old home atop the icy mountain. Over time, the scorching sun baked the red dust into their fur until the Ronso became a fiery color like the mountain. That fire extended to their heart, soul and bodies. Fire is what destroyed their first home and it is what created their new one. The Ronso found a new existence, swearing to protect their new home. They lived there in peace completely forgetting the supposed curse that was upon them and forgetting that they were once called the Ronso.”
 
Nanaki and Kaya stared at Sersa amazed at the story. They never knew about their ancestry or that once long ago, their kind could walk alongside humans.
 
“Why hadn't I heard this tale before from my grandfather Bugenhagen?” Nanaki asked.
 
“Because this is a tale that can only be told by descendants of the Ronso. Bugenhagen knew about the legend, but out of courtesy to our customs, couldn't tell you. I wonder if he would have in time knowing you were the last.”
 
“Grandfather always thought there were more of my kind alive. I guess he hoped I would find them like I found you both.”
 
“I'm glad to hear that Bugenhagen is as wise as he always has been. But as you can see, the curse has caught up with us and now we are probably the last of what was the Ronso tribe,” Sersa quietly added. “And soon it will only be the both of you.”
 
Kaya wept silently as she walked over to her mother and nuzzled her closely. She didn't want to lose her. She couldn't ever think of a time when her mother wasn't there guiding her, protecting her. Now she was going to be on her own and the last female of her kind. “Please don't leave me mother. Please.”
 
“I'm not ready for death quite yet. My time is coming soon, but not now. I'm sorry that you won't be able to see the Cosmo Canyon I've always told you about,” Sersa wept alongside her daughter. “But I'm sure the Cosmo Candle will still burn bright like it always does.”
 
“It's alright mother. It's alright,” Kaya said softly.
 
Nanaki watched the two women share their intimate moment and quietly walked to the entrance of the cave to give them some privacy. They had a lot of emotional stress to deal with and he knew there would be a lot more to come. They needed their time with each other, even if it was for a moment. As he sat at the entrance to the cave, he thought about the warm sun beating down on his fur. Were my ancestors once proud creatures with blue fur? Did they once stand tall next to humans? Nanaki pondered those questions and realized that the answers to those questions didn't matter. It was whether he and Kaya could atone for what their ancestors did many years ago and if they could ensure that the future generations would not make the same mistake.
 
As Nanaki sat there in thought, Kaya walked out of the cave and sat next to him. She still had tears stains on her brownish fur. Nanaki knew that it would be some time before she would come to terms with her mother's death. He knew that it was a long time before he could accept the death of his mother.
 
“My mother wishes to speak to you,” Kaya said calmly. “She wishes to discuss something of importance.”
 
“Will you be alright out here?”
 
“Yes, I'll be fine. I just need to meditate on things.”
 
Nanaki nodded and walked back into the cave, but not before stealing one small glance at Kaya who sat in deep thought outside the cave. As Nanaki approached Sersa, he bowed his head low. “You wished to speak to me?”
 
“Yes, please sit. I have a lot to tell you. There are things that I need to take care of before I leave and things that I need to say before all my knowledge is lost forever,” Sersa said with a melancholy look. “This isn't going to be easy for me. I'll need your understanding and patience.”
 
“Don't worry. I will listen with an open mind and do whatever you ask of me.”
 
“Good. Let me first talk to you regarding my daughter. I'm sure you've already determined that she is to be your mate. I already told her what to expect and I taught her how to be a good mate. If the situation were different, I would be a bit more cautious before I gave her to you, but I knew your parents and they were both honorable warriors. Also, in the little time I've gotten to know you, you have proven to be noble and brave, just like your father. Though that may be the case, I will never forgive anyone who harms my daughter in any way shape or form.”
 
“I swore a pledge to protect anyone from Cosmo Canyon from harm, that vow extends to your daughter. I've seen too much hurt and pain in this world to wish it upon anyone else. I swear to you that I will treat her like my equal,” Nanaki bowed low.
 
Sersa smiled as she watched Nanaki bow to her. He certainly wanted to prove to her that she could trust him, but it was time for the final test. “Before I give you my blessing, I have to tell you the story about why I ran away from Cosmo Canyon. The story first starts back a long time ago when the first of our ancestors stepped foot in Cosmo Canyon. Apparently, long ago when the Ronso came to dwell in Cosmo Canyon, there was a group of Ronso who left the Canyon hoping to find better land. They eventually settled not too far away from the Canyon, but didn't receive the warm blessing of the sun like our tribe. They lived in the shadows out in the dusty canyon: they renamed themselves as the Gi Tribe. The two tribes lived separately with different ideals and customs. It wasn't until fifty years ago that they incidentally met up again.
 
“At first, their meetings were friendly as the two tribes spoke of what each did. However, as the Gi tribe visited Cosmo Canyon more and more, they grew jealous of what the Canyon had to offer. We had the warm sunlight: they did not. We had the protection of the mountain: they did not. Over time, the Gi grew more hostile towards our tribe, claiming stake on our lands and trying to force themselves into the Canyon. Our tribe defended its territory telling the Gi that they had their land and we had ours. The tensions between the two tribes turned into an unspoken war.
 
“Despite the tension, some of the Gi tribe still tried to hold amicable relations with our tribe. One such member of the Gi was a man name Nattak. He was a strong warrior and also captured the hearts of many women both Gi and Cosmo alike. I was considered the lucky one since he chose me out of all those women to be his mate. At the time, I thought I was lucky, but the Gi were deceptive and Nattak was no exception.
 
“My parents could sense that Nattak was not who I thought he was. They forbade me from meeting with him, but I didn't listen. We met in secret. Sometimes I would sneak into his village, but mostly he would sneak into Cosmo Canyon. I was a fool. The entire time we were meeting behind everyone's back, I thought he was doing it because he loved me. In fact, he was just making me show him all the secret entrances and places in Cosmo Canyon. I told him how to sneak into the Canyon without getting noticed. I showed him all the right spots to hide where no one would see him. I handed him the weaknesses to Cosmo Canyon on a silver platter,” Sersa sobbed.
 
“How did you find out he wasn't what he seemed?” Nanaki asked.
 
“It was late one night. I wanted to surprise him by sneaking into his village. When I finally got there, Nattak was meeting with his village elders. I overheard them talking about all the places I showed him. I heard him telling the elders where they should attack Cosmo Canyon. My blood chilled hearing him describe the secrets I showed him. Half-way through their meeting, they somehow heard me. When I saw Nattak a part of me hoped that he would tell me that everything was just a joke and that he truly did love me like he said he did. But when he started to chase after me like prey to be hunted my heart froze. His eyes weren't filled with that twinkle that I loved; they were filled with rage and murder. He wanted me dead. I knew that everything I thought I knew about him was a lie.
 
“I ran as fast as my legs would carry me. It didn't matter where I ran as long as I ran. I know that Nattak and some other members of the Gi tribe were chasing me as I heard their heavy breath and the thundering of their feet stampeding towards me. They came so close to catching me that I thought I once felt their teeth nearly sink into my body. I don't know how long I had run before the only sounds I could hear was my own breath and tired feet pounding against the ground. I only stopped when I found that my legs couldn't move anymore. I wandered tirelessly for days eating only when I could and drinking the little water I came across. I had to get away. Eventually, I found myself here. I didn't learn I was pregnant with Kaya until a month later. I've stayed here ever since.”
 
“So Kaya's father was Nattak?”
 
“Yes. Kaya is part-Gi. But even knowing that, will you still protect her?”
 
“With my life,” Nanaki answered without hesitation. “I learned through your stories and through my father that hatred and disdain are not traits that lead to progress. The only way to learn is through understanding and acceptance. Being blinded by vengeance will only cause you to lose sight of what's truly important.”
 
“Very wise words from one as young as you: Seto raised you well.”
 
“It was through my own mistakes that I learn such wisdom. But I want to know. Why didn't you go back to Cosmo Canyon after Kaya was born?” Nanaki asked curiously.
 
“I was ashamed for what I did and feared that I would be killed or banished for my foolish mistake. I also couldn't bear to return if Nattak was still alive. I can never forgive him for what he did. But after hearing your story, I wish I did return.”
 
“You could have never known of what happened to the Canyon. And I don't think you should blame yourself for the Gi's attack either. If Nattak didn't use you, he would have used someone else.”
 
“True, but Nattak did give me one thing that I would never part with in a millions years: Kaya,” Sersa smiled. “The happiest moment in my life was bringing her into this world. Now that you've heard all of that, I want you to understand why I want you to protect my daughter and to keep her from harm. She should never have to suffer the same way I did. Please don't tell her what I just told you. She doesn't need to know about hatred and heartache.”
 
“I promise, she won't know. I also promise to protect her and just to reassure you, I'm not going to pressure her into becoming my mate. Just because I'm the last male species of her kind, doesn't give me the right to take her without her mutual consent.”
 
Sersa smiled as she listened to Nanaki. He was so different from Nattak. Where Nattak was proud and confidant, Nanaki stood observant and knowing. Where Nattak was romantic and aggressive, Nanaki was eloquent and accepting. It probably had to do with the fact that Kaya was probably one of the first females he saw since his mother and Seto had always been more of a shy male compared to others in the tribe. But there was no disputing the strength that Nanaki had. He was far stronger than Nattak was and possibly exceeded his father Seto. Kaya had found a wonderful mate.
 
“Thank you for your reassurance. I know that you'll treat her well. Now go to her,” Sersa motioned to the cave's entrance.
 
Nanaki nodded his thanks to Sersa as he walked out to where Kaya still sat staring out into the distace. He sat down next to her silently as she shyly turned around and smiled.
 
“So you spoke to my mother?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“And what did she tell you?” Kaya asked almost expecting a certain answer.
 
“That I am to be your mate, if you will take me.”
 
Kaya looked at Nanaki slightly confused, “Of course I'll take you as my mate. You're a male and I'm a female.”
 
“But if you had more suitors, if you had the ability to choose; would you still be so accepting?” Nanaki asked. “I only ask you this because though I don't mind being your mate and it may be my right to take you without your consent, I also don't want you to feel like you have to go through with this if you don't want to.”
 
“I do want to be mated, but I also am a bit scared. My mother has told me different aspects of being a mate, but I don't know if I will be good enough. I have no experience in the outside world and I'm frightfully anxious about everything.”
 
“I don't blame you for being frightened. The world is indeed a scary place, but it also holds many beautiful secrets that will make you feel privileged to be alive. Also, if you want to wait a bit to get to know each other more, then it wouldn't bother me.”
 
Kaya smiled at Nanaki appreciatively as she answered, “Thank you for giving me the choice. As strange as it may seem, a part of me wouldn't mind becoming your mate right now. Mother told me that it wasn't uncommon for two mates to join a day after meeting and in fact, that was almost custom. Have you heard about that?” Kaya asked.
 
“Yes, I have. I think I remember my mother telling me that she was almost insulted when my father didn't ask her to be his mate until a week after they were of age,” Nanaki said as he gave Kaya a warm smile.
 
“Are you going to make me wait a week?” Kaya laughed.
 
“Do you want to wait a week?” Nanaki asked shyly. “I will take you now if you want, but . . . it is up to you.”
 
Kaya smiled as she bravely walked up to Nanaki and nuzzled his neck. She had never shown affection to anyone other than her mother, but somehow it felt right doing this with him. “Nanaki, if my mother has approved of you, then I know I will be blessed with a kind mate. I trust her judgment and I also trust my instincts,” Kaya said as she slowly brought her fiery tail out for Nanaki, signaling her acceptance as his mate.
 
Nanaki smiled as he brought his tail around and intertwined it with Kaya's, “As you Kaya, daughter of Sersa accept me to be your mate. I, Nanaki, son of Seto accept you as mine.”
 
He watched as their tails twisted around like string, fused together. They dipped both of their tips towards each other until the fire on their tails joined and burned into a brilliantly glowing blaze. The fire flickered briefly as the pair saw a glimpse of the children they would have in the future. Both gasped as they stared into the fire. It was rumored that sometimes mates would be able to see part of their partner's soul or even a glimpse into the future when they began their courtship. Occurrences like that were rare and usually when they did occur, they took it as a sign that the courtship was blessed by their ancestors. They both smiled at each other as Kaya leaned forward to gently nuzzle Nanaki. He responded in kind and licked her tenderly on the cheek. They had joined their souls and now the union was complete.
 
Sersa watched her daughter and Nanaki as they completed the ceremony. She also saw the vision within their joined souls and smiled as she pictured the grandchildren she would never get to see. Never in her life had she seen any pair be blessed with the Fire of Souls. Turning back inside the cave, she felt at ease knowing that her daughter would be safe and loved. Resting on the warm rock, she closed her eyes and dreamed of the past before she met Nattak and before the Gi ever came into their lives. Though she wouldn't remember it, Sersa would eventually dream about her grandchildren and her great-grandchildren as she envisioned her daughter and Nanaki surviving well over several centuries.
 
* * *
 
The Cosmo Candle burned brightly for a second as the flames flickered and crackled in the heart of Cosmo Canyon. Many residents of the canyon didn't notice the sudden change in the Candle, but Bugenhagen did. The old man smiled broadly as he laughed heartily. The planet had been saved from Meteor, Holy had spared mankind and the lifestream was slowly healing all the damage done to the planet; what was there not to be joyful and boisterous about? However, Bugenhagen had just seen a vision through the Cosmo Candle that uplifted his spirits beyond the boundaries of joy.
 
Floating along the dusty red rocks, the old man opened up the secret passage leading to the back of the Canyon. Making sure to close it back up after he left, he bounded his way through the dark twisted passageways and smiled warmly at the few remaining Gi spirits who refused to return to the lifestream. As Bugenhagen smiled at them, the Gi merely hissed back and sauntered away into the shadows. The Gi knew better than to attack Bugenhagen and the embarrassing defeat they faced from Nanaki and his friends was still fresh in their minds. The old man finally made his way to the back of the cave where the permanently stoned figure of an old friend stood eternally combating the Gi.
 
Bugenhagen floated up to where Seto stood overlooking the Canyon. Putting his hand on Seto's head, he remembered how soft his fiery fur used to be, but now it was nothing but hardened stone. Nevertheless, Bugenhagen stroked Seto's mane as if Seto were still live flesh and blood.
 
“I have some good news Seto my old friend. It seems as if your son has found a mate,” Bugenhagen laughed with glee. He could almost feel the warmth of Seto's heart after hearing the good news.
 
“This mate of his is quite beautiful for a female of your tribe. Very brazen and sweet. You would have liked her. But not only that, the two were able to invoke the Fire of Souls,” Bugenhagen smiled. “I haven't witnessed a pair invoke the Fire of Souls since I was a mere boy.”
 
Bugenhagen looked down at Seto and thought he could almost see him beaming with pride.
 
“You ought to be proud. Nanaki is a wonderful child and he will make a fine leader when I finally pass away. Don't worry, I'll make sure to tell him and his new mate to visit you often so you don't get lonely. I'm sure they'll show you their grandkids as well,” Bugenhagen laughed heartily.”
 
Bugenhagen could almost hear Seto laughing along with him.
 
“Perhaps when the pair return to Cosmo Canyon, I should tell them the legend of the Fire of Souls and the Cosmo Candle?”
 
Bugenhagen could feel the warmth spread in Seto as he tried to smile. Though Seto couldn't physically smile anymore, Bugenhagen knew that Seto was at least smiling on the inside.
 
“Yes, you're right. I should,” Bugenhagen said softly.
 
Seto was grateful for his friendship with Bugenhagen. He had been trying in vain to respond in some way to answer the wise man's questions. Seto had been trying little by little to move his stoned body from his resting place onto of the cliffs. In the past forty years he had been unsuccessful in even moving a millimeter. However tonight, the upper part of his lip moved ever so slightly as he thought about his son and the future grandchildren he would have.
 
 
 
Chapter 25a: Random Encounter (written by Proteus)
 
Tifa and Rufus heard the voice of the newest member of their awkward party of four from behind them. “I'm totally bored,” Ace said just over the sound of Chocobo feet clomping rhythmically on the ground.
 
“We don't care!” Tifa and Rufus said and glanced at each other briefly. They had lost count of the many times Ace had proclaimed his boredom. Their frustration with Yuffie and her new boyfriend of sorts was growing in ways they had not really been prepared for when they set out with him. Ace's presence restricted conversation a lot. They could not even talk much about the task ahead since it seemed a little late in the game to suddenly tell Ace they were actually searching for a vicious demonic entity. Perhaps the final straw was that his ride, Sabina, seemed to be struggling under his weight as it was and he had brought along two surfboards on a journey inland. Hopefully, Tifa and Rufus thought, they could drop him off at the Gold Saucer and be done with him. The chocobo ride to Mt. Corel had never before seemed so long.
 
“Dude,” Ace hollered ahead. “Behind us!” A flight of large birds skimmed the ground and closed in on the AVALANCHE members plus Ace. They swooped past clumsily, unable to keep up with the quick gait of the chocobos. “Whoa. Everything's attacking us.”
 
Tifa spoke over her shoulder. “Some of the creatures here probably think we're a threat to their nesting ground. And some of the creatures, well… I guess they've learned over generations that humans will hunt them down and harm the planet so they fear us.”
 
“Yeah,” Yuffie said. “And some of them are just bastards.”
 
The birds grazed past them as the chocobos rushed onward. “There's so many of them,” Rufus said.
 
“As long as we stay on our chocobos we can outrun them,” Tifa said. “So don't worry.”
 
“I'm not worried,” Rufus said.
 
Tifa could tell he really wasn't afraid. In that moment, she could see something in him she had not noticed before and had trouble pinpointing. It was a kind of nobility and fearlessness. There was something familiar about it. “You know, you remind me of someone.”
 
Rufus blinked. “Huh? What do you…?” Had she finally recognized him? Had she finally seen through his charade?
 
“Why that look?” Tifa said and smiled faintly. “I was just thinking you reminded me of someone I used to know.”
 
“I do?” Rufus said. He relaxed somewhat.
 
“You do. But he's… not with us anymore.” Tifa felt a sting in her heart as she became aware of the emptiness left by Cloud's passing.
 
Rufus nodded quietly, not quite understanding. The birds continued to swoop past. As long as we stay on our chocobos. Rufus listened all around. He glanced over his shoulder and then something in his gut sank. “Where did Ace and Yuffie go?”
 
Tifa looked back, stunned. “Eh?”
 
They both looked straight back to see the birds converging around two human figures. Ace stood over the gold chocobo Sabina, currently passed out cold on the ground. If Ace's weight had not been too much for her, the sprint to escape the birds had. Yuffie flailed her arms excitedly nearby.
 
Tifa and Rufus exchanged glances before turning around and charging back at full speed. One of the avian creatures swooped towards Ace. Tifa leapt off Mortius and intercepted a jagged beak with a powerful kick. The bird nearly disintegrated in a puff of feathers. Rufus winced, having a greater appreciation for the acting leader of AVALANCHE. He drew Vincent's weapon and fired at a second bird. In the fury of the moment, Rufus forgot about the Death Penalty's surprisingly powerful kickback and was nearly thrown off balance and caused the shot to go wild, but just clipping its target still proved to be fatal. Ace grinned like an idiot and stood his ground. “Cool!”
 
“What are you doing?” Tifa snarled. “Are you trying to get killed?”
 
“Hey,” Ace said, “Just havin' a little fun, you know?”
 
“You don't even have a weapon!” Tifa shot back.
 
“Au contraire,” Ace said. “You obviously haven't heard of my gnarly board blade skills!”
 
Rufus and Tifa blinked. “Board blade…?”
 
Ace grinned and lifted one of his surf boards off the ground from near Sabina. He held it loosely in his hands and straddled his legs into a broad fighting stance as another flight of dark avian creatures descended. He hit a switch on the bottom of the board and like an enormous switchblade, three blades extended from the front of the board.
 
Tifa sighed. “You're kidding me…”
 
Yuffie smiled. “Didn't you know Ace is the best board blader in Costa Del Sol?”
 
Rufus blinked. “How many are there?”
 
Yuffie seemed to think about this for a moment. “Actually he's the only one. He kind of invented it.”
 
Ace let out a cry and swung the enormous board at a bird. It seemed to be more confused than injured, but nonetheless retreated, allowing several of its companions to attack.
 
Tifa sighed.
 
“Do you think,” Rufus whispered, “We could just leave him here?”
 
Tifa pointed to Sabina, barely conscious even now. “Not without my gold chocobo.”
 
Rufus shook his head and aimed Vincent's gun again, this time more conscious that it was much more powerful than most guns he had ever used. Several more birds fell as he fired, Tifa kicked, Yuffie sliced, and Ace flailed.
 
None of the four knew exactly how much time had passed when the final bird fell. Sabina struggled to her feet and seemed visibly perturbed with Ace. Rufus, Tifa, and Yuffie had come out fairly clean. Ace had been pecked bloody.
 
“Aw… That's it?” the surfer cried.
 
From above, the four heard dozens of squawks. A massive wave of creatures was closing in fast.
 
Rufus barely masked his frustration. “Let's just end this.”
 
Tifa nodded.
 
“Hold it! Hold it!” Ace said. “Let me handle this!” He raised his board. A shimmering red gem had been encrusted into the side and the other three could all recognize what it was. Yuffie let out an exuberant gasp. Materia. Ace smirked and the jewel flashed. A beam of light shot into the distance. And then there was nothing.
 
The birds drew closer. Sabina jumped as she noticed the flight of monsters on hand. As the party of four braced for the birds to attack, they became aware of a roaring noise. It sounded to Rufus a little like the roar of a massive engine. The sky darkened and they all turned to see the source of the noise. It was not an engine. It was the ocean. A massive tidal wave raced inland. Ant-like spots dotted the surface of the wave, swarming the water. As the wave closed and the AVALANCHE members and chocobos sought shelter, the wave grew larger and the spots became more visible.
 
Mogs. Riding on chocobos. Riding on surfboards.
 
The wave slammed hard into the ground. The wild chocobos plowed through the last of the birds, washing them all away. The very tired, very wet AVALANCHE members came out into the open. Sabina flicked the water off of her feathers. Ace grinned. “Aw, now that is totally, totally Rufus!”
 
Rufus Shinra glared at Ace and wished the surfer had not been looking at him when he had said that. He briefly imagined some of the things the Turks would have done to this nuisance of a man. Then he realized it was probably wishful thinking on his part.
 
As they collected their chocobos and continued on the journey, a starry-eyed Yuffie asked John if she could have a look at his “board blade.” As soon as he handed it over to her and she began inspecting it scrupulously, Tifa knew that Ace would never see that peculiar summon materia again.
 
“Kind of strange, isn't it?” Rufus asked.
 
Tifa turned to him. “Huh?”
 
“Isn't it pretty unusual to see many creatures attack all at once?”
 
“You know… it is.”
 
“What could have caused that?”
 
Tifa shook her head. “I really don't know.”
 
Rufus was quiet for a moment. “Do you suppose…?”
 
“Hm?”
 
He turned to her. “Something nearby stirred them up?”
 
As Yuffie and Ace flirted, Tifa and Rufus sank to the rear, continuing on in stony silence.
 
 
A/N: Chapter 25a was written by my husband. I'm sure you can see the notable writing style. I helped give him pointers on characterization and plot, but the idea was basically all his.
(continued…)